About the ads

1. Free Financial Webinar with White Coat Investor! Monday evening at 7:00 PM EDT, hear about the Top 5 Financial Considerations for Starting Residents from White Coat Investor's Dr. James Dahle. Register here. Hope to see you there!

CLASS OF 2014...how ya doing?

Discussion in 'Pre-Veterinary' started by luplodw, Jun 30, 2010.

1. SDN is a nonprofit organization. Services are made possible through the generous support of SDN members and sponsors. Thank you.
  1. BlacKAT33

BlacKAT33 UPenn c/o 2014!! :)

Veterinary Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member

SDN Members don't see this ad. (About Ads)
    oh ok. blahh i am so confused with all of these anatomy books!! I did not know there was a MILLERS guide to dissection of the dog. Our class was required to buy EVANS guide to dissection of the dog. this is confusing! I also notice that the Millers one has both Millers and Evans as authors (2000 though) but the Evans one is just Evans. Which one do you have?? Sry for the confusion. I will post links so you know what I'm talking about lol

Millers/Evans http://www.amazon.com/Guide-Dissection-Dog-Howard-Evans/dp/0721680798

Evans http://www.amazon.com/Guide-Dissection-Dog-Howard-Evans/dp/1437702465/ref=dp_ob_title_bk (i have this one)
  2. RunTheWorld

RunTheWorld Tufts c/o 2014!

Veterinary Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    I'm pretty sure it's the first one. I don't have it yet because they give us the book at orientation as a gift, but the professor posted a PDF of the first 20 pages online.
  3. cuitlamiztli

cuitlamiztli onward and upward Gold Donor

Veterinarian
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    They're basically the same thing; Miller's is the 5th edition of the dissection guide while Evans/DeLahunta is the 7th. IIRC the main differences are in terminology and images.
  4. BlacKAT33

Veterinary Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    OOoo ok, thanks guys! :) I don't see a quiz in mine oh well, it will probably just make me nervous anyway lol
  5. RunTheWorld

Veterinary Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Sorry! I meant it was just a separate quiz that my anatomy professor wrote based on that chapter! I think it's just to give an idea of what the exam questions are like at Tufts.
  6. oilidigigoat

oilidigigoat UMN CVM c/o 2014

Pre-Veterinary
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Oooo..all this talk about studying an practice quizzes is making me nervous. And I feel like I'm falling behind already.

So a funny "war eagle" story:

I went to Univ. of Florida for undergrad, which is in the SEC and we play Auburn in football kinda frequently (every 2/6 years..or something weird like that) and we play them in other sports more frequently...so I should know what "war eagle" is.

But..I got a job out of undergrad in Georgia, right on the border of Alabama and everyone in the office was either a UGA fan or an Auburn fan...except me. So the first Friday I was there (it was football season) I said goodbye to my boss and some coworkers and they said "war eagle". So I said "yep war eagle to you too!" Which is a pretty big no no for a Gator fan to say, especially when that was back when Auburn was playing a bit better. I had no idea what that meant. I thought is was a weird southern way of saying "have a nice weekend" haha. It was so confusing to me because I thought they had a Tiger as a mascot.
  7. Minnerbelle

Minnerbelle Moderator Emeritus

Veterinary Student
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    hmmm... i've been out of school for over 2 years and the last time I took anatomy was 4 years ago so my brain's probably turned into mush. but instead of getting prepared, I find myself gambling for hours on end at the game center with my sisters and running around stuffing my face with all the yumminess that I won't be able to experience again for a long time. hopefully this means i'll just be super relaxed and ready to go once school starts.

e.g. super awesome parfait:
    [​IMG]
  8. RunTheWorld

Veterinary Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    OMG YUM! I'm almost drooling on my computer. Minnerbelle, I think you're definitely doing the summer before vet school the right way :)
  9. Risika

Risika NCSU CVM Class of 2014

Veterinary Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Wow that parfait looks so good...
  10. Willowhand

Willowhand KSU Class of 2014

Veterinary Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Moved into my new house yesterday (at around 1 am...). The backyard is bordered by the backyards of 5 other dogs, so in between unpacking I've been going out with my timid pup and helping her make friends with the neighbors. She doesn't seem inclined to approach the fences without me there to hide behind :rolleyes:
  11. BlacKAT33

Veterinary Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    i was like this when meeting new friends as a kid lol

So we just got our orientation schedule and I'm super excited. There are a ton of speakers and activities over the three days. The coolest part is that i can totally tell the current students help design orientation. At the end of each day there is either a happy hour, trivia night at a bar, and a BBQ at the vet frat house. AWESOME!! i cant wait!
  12. Risika

Veterinary Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    ^ lol

I'm super excited to start! I'm having mixed feelings about Orientation though....I'm excited to meet everyone (students and faculty) and do the cheesy icebreaker games but other than that, 3 days of Orientation seems excessive to me...lol. Either way, I am still really excited!!!
  13. luplodw

luplodw Mississippi c/o 2014!!

Veterinary Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Just to let you all know...I've so far taken 3 tests and 2 quizzes. In my opinion vet school so far is easier than the last 2 years of my undergrad. Yes I am studying more...but only because there is more material in each class and also more classes. My classes are actually pretty easy material wise. I'm sure it will get harder, but for now i'm pumped about school. I've made better grades on my tests in vet school than I did in my classes last year....It's so weird...the class averages so far have ranged from high B to low A... I've never been in a class where the class average was a 92. Get excited guys!
  14. BlacKAT33

Veterinary Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    that is awesome!!! thanks for the update!! :)

hmm that is a high avg!! i hear our class avg's are always around a C, except for the wildlife elective :laugh: but congrats on the awesome grades and i hope i get the same experience!! i am pumped too!
  15. rileyroo

rileyroo Auburn 2014

Veterinary Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    i'm not gonna jump up and down and assume this is the same at every school b/c i've heard the class avgs are around a C here (and other programs as wel) l...definitely not a 92.

congrats on having a great start to your first semester. hope it continues. i'm just not going to assume it's the same for every program and end up with false hope. :rolleyes:
  16. luplodw

luplodw Mississippi c/o 2014!!

Veterinary Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    This is true...it's also the first few tests which I assume will be easier in general than material that will be more in depth. I figure the further we get into the semester, the harder it will be because we will have so many tests and other things going on too. I heard that class averages were C's in most classes too...but not on the first round of tests (grades apparently go down every test)
  17. der2002

der2002 MSU CVM 2014

Veterinary Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    in the last few days, we've been through Nevada, Arizona, Utah, Colorado, Nebraska, Iowa...Illinois, Indiana and Michigan coming up! Traveling with 2 dogs and 2 cats has been extra work, but not nearly as difficult as I had anticipated (yay for acepromazine for the kitties). Can't wait to move into our house and start vet school!
  18. BHantler

BHantler Tufts V'14

Pre-Veterinary
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    This is a pretty good representation of my feelings starting in March when I got my acceptance and ending right around now when I start realizing what I got myself into.

[​IMG]
  19. RunTheWorld

Veterinary Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    :laugh: A perfect representation! I can't believe we only have 2 more weeks ahhhh!
  20. lunajett

lunajett KSU Class of 2014

Veterinary Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Just got back into Manhattan yesterday after closing on the house in June and then being gone for all of July. While it's hard to consider it "home" yet, I tell ya, after four days/1500 miles in the car with three big dogs, ANYplace we can unpack and stretch out feels good. The dogs did remarkably well, helped with a little Benadryl and Bonine each morning. And they actually seemed thrilled with their new yard, despite it being scorching and about 1/10th what they've been used to this summer - they immediately ran around and pee'ed on the freshly-planted trees!
  21. BHantler

BHantler Tufts V'14

Pre-Veterinary
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    It's getting close to home because I'm moving next wednesday. How about you?
  22. RunTheWorld

Veterinary Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    I'm driving down next Saturday. I'm so excited to start!
  23. Nechochwen

Nechochwen LSU SVM c/o 2014

Veterinary Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Got everything moved to Baton Rouge, except for me. That'll be tomorrow. I'll be so glad when I'm there and settled. This week we're doing a lot of pre-orientation get-to-know-each other stuff. One week till orientation and two till classes start. :D
  24. rileydog

rileydog LSU SVM Class of 2014 :)

Veterinary Student
    Arrived in Baton Rouge on the 2nd and I'm still not done unpacking. Can't wait to meet everyone! Are you going to all the pre-orientation activities?
  25. HopefulAg

HopefulAg Texas A&M CVM c/o 2014! Gold Donor

Veterinary Student
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    Well my vet school move is off with a bang of a start. Got moved in last Saturday or so, laptop died that night when I was about to freaking pack it up, and then we went out of town for a week, so no internet.

Luckily Fry's had a banging deal on a laptop ($320 for a $500 machine), so I took advantage of that to replace my 6 year old dinosaur that survived everything I threw at it (including, but not limited to, throwing stars [on accident]), but evidently couldn't give me any warning that it was about to give up on me.

But other than that it's been great! 8 more days til orientation and then...well I don't actually know when we start. I'll just show up one day I guess.
  26. Nechochwen

Nechochwen LSU SVM c/o 2014

Veterinary Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Yep, I'll be going to everything. My big sib contacted me a few days ago, but won't be able to make it next week because of work. I'm excited too.
  27. BlacKAT33

Veterinary Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    i missed your humor on the forum :)

edit-not that that post had a ton lol but u know what i mean
  28. chii chan

chii chan

A bunch of us are already here in Edinburgh (for the 4 year programme) and class starts in 12 hours! This city is fantastic and I can't believe I get to spend the next 4 years here. I couldn't have asked for anything better.

I'm in the dorms for 5 weeks before the semester starts for the rest of the school (us 4 year programmers have 5 extra weeks of class during the Fringe) and I can hear bagpipes and drums from my room. This. Is. Awesome. :)
  29. StartingoverVet

StartingoverVet Flight Instructor for hire Gold Donor

Non-Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Wow, Edinburgh sounds great! Looks like you'll be absolutely fine. They're lucky to have you!

Congrats and good luck!:)
  30. lunajett

lunajett KSU Class of 2014

Veterinary Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Oh, is that the world pipeband competition? My brother in law is over there somewhere now playing in that, but I'm not sure exactly which cities the competition is in. If you get a chance to check out some of those pipebands playing, you definitely should. They are pretty amazing.
  31. HopefulAg

Veterinary Student
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    Yup, still jealous.

I was going to learn to play the bagpipes while I was there and be able to professionally annoy people for the rest of my life. Guess I'll just have to stay amateur.
  32. nyanko

nyanko all i do is win Gold Donor

Veterinarian
    SDN 7+ Year Member
    On the bright side, it will probably be more annoying if you play them without learning..
  33. StartingoverVet

Non-Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Yeah, like the 3-year old next door to us whose parents want him to "get used" to the piano so let him pound on the keys every day for a little while. Definitely more annoying than actually playing something even badly.
  34. HopefulAg

Veterinary Student
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    Good point. So now all I need are the bag pipes.

Have you tried telling them that allowing him to pound on the keyboard is damaging the piano and developing bad habits, not only from a musical stand point but also a social one? Alternatively: ****ing shut your kid up!
  35. StartingoverVet

Non-Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Good advice but I generally try to wait longer than 2 weeks before letting my neighbors know what a brash NYer I am!
  36. der2002

der2002 MSU CVM 2014

Veterinary Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    finally moved to Lansing, MI after 4.5 days of traveling. Still waiting for our furniture to get here, though :( and admittedly, a little concerned about feeling like a big fish in a little pond after living in really big cities my whole life...hoping that once school starts, I'll feel more confident about my decision
  37. Willowhand

Veterinary Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
  38. HopefulAg

Veterinary Student
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    Hell if I know. I taught myself piano so I agree with you on it probably being beneficial.

But it might help SOV with his problem while sounding semi-plausible. :p
  39. Willowhand

Veterinary Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member

Good point. Perhaps SOV could try buying a piano --better still, a keyboard with those awful variable sound settings-- and play duets with the kid. Then instead of "brash NY-er" he'd be the "New York Artiste" ;)
  40. BlacKAT33

Veterinary Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    SOV is this at your new place in philly? if so, that really sucks. but good thing kids have early bed times!
  41. nyanko

Veterinarian
    SDN 7+ Year Member
    So do old people so he probably can't get much done after the kid goes to bed either..
  42. HopefulAg

Veterinary Student
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    Bazinga!

But that makes sense why the kid banging around on the piano is such a problem: interferes with his nap time.
  43. StartingoverVet

Non-Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    What? :( Did you say something? I can't hear you! :mad:Speak up you young troublemakers. Wait till you get old, at least you will....

Hey, what's that noise coming from next door. Arggg... I can't stand it...

And what is this message about. Something got me mad, but I can't remember now. :oops:

:sleep:
    Wow, I'm tired. I need a nap. Gotta remember to ... what's this syringe doing in my hand. Well, it can't be important.

zzzzz
  44. RunTheWorld

Veterinary Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    I'm so jealous too! Please just tell me how much you hate it and how awful the city is. I loved the sounds of both schools, but I chose Tufts over Edinburgh mainly because I just didn't have the time/money to go visit Scotland.
  45. Risika

Veterinary Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    So after 3 days of Orientation and a 1/2 day for the white coat ceremony I am even more excited to start classes (tomorrow)! Orientation felt pretty long and boring at certain points but it was still awesome - meeting all my classmates and such. As for starting classes - I am super excited but still not looking forward to the amount of studying I will have to do : / lol
  46. chii chan

chii chan

Sorry... I can't tell you that in the least. Things are very different here compared to US. It'll take some getting used to, but I'm loving every minute of it! (Even though I'm getting very annoyed at all the tourists who will be staying through the end of August.) As for the bagpipes, there have been some groups with bagpipes and drums that have not been that good. One group was playing from 2100-2200 (when I wanted to sleep) and were out of tune. Today, everyone was in tune when I walked by to my room, but they weren't synchronized. It was awful.

People let their kids bang on pianos?? Poor pianos... I never did that, but I also asked my mom if I could start taking lessons when I was 5.

We start lectures tomorrow too! After 2 days of orientation stuff, we start official lectures in the afternoon (after another morning of orientation). We matriculated yesterday! :)
  47. SharpWhistle32

SharpWhistle32

Veterinary Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    I start in ab 3 weeks!!!!!!! :) goodluck to all
  48. BlacKAT33

Veterinary Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    i had to read this many times and then i realized i think you mean alabama! (AL)

I am so excited because even though my school hasn't started yet we had the opportunity to sign up for this LA seminar. It will be monday and tuesday (all day) and I think a lot of it will be mostly hands on at the new bolton center. I havent seen the NB center yet too and i heard it was amazing so i can't wait! :D
  49. nyanko

Veterinarian
    SDN 7+ Year Member
    Or "about" 3 weeks?
  50. BlacKAT33

Veterinary Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    OOOOOOOOOOO haha must be behind in the internet slang