CLASS OF 2014...how ya doing?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Well, 2015 foaling season has started off with a bang. First foal of the year and I had to put her down early on Sunday due to sepsis/colic/hypoxic encephalopathy. She went from doing well to definitely gonna die in about 4 hours. Really sucks. The only positive to this whole case is that we pretty much did everything in our arsenal...so at least we'll be prepared for the next foal that comes in. :/

Members don't see this ad.

I have awesome clients. I love my job.

But I need to rant. I've been having a run of mystery, doomed to die patients with really weird combinations of clinical signs. And no one is letting me post their animals. I get the okay for diagnostics/empirical treatment and the animals die before I even get started. And rather than let me do a post at no charge for professional interest, everyone is okay with having no idea why their young, previously heathy animal died. I have a list of differentials for the most recent mystery case but would love to know what it really is. (9mo M/N kitten... Acute onset icterus, progressing to anisocoria, seizures and death within ~12 hours). owner is excellent, experienced in vet med, one of my best cat owners, and I 100% believe her that the cat was not yellow yesterday. The whole case is odd and it's driving me nuts that I have lists of differentials with no answer.

I have awesome clients. I love my job.

But I need to rant. I've been having a run of mystery, doomed to die patients with really weird combinations of clinical signs. And no one is letting me post their animals. I get the okay for diagnostics/empirical treatment and the animals die before I even get started. And rather than let me do a post at no charge for professional interest, everyone is okay with having no idea why their young, previously heathy animal died. I have a list of differentials for the most recent mystery case but would love to know what it really is. (9mo M/N kitten... Acute onset icterus, progressing to anisocoria, seizures and death within ~12 hours). owner is excellent, experienced in vet med, one of my best cat owners, and I 100% believe her that the cat was not yellow yesterday. The whole case is odd and it's driving me nuts that I have lists of differentials with no answer.
I totally get those feels. I hate not knowing plus the added fact that it could show up again. :(

Members don't see this ad :)
(9mo M/N kitten... Acute onset icterus, progressing to anisocoria, seizures and death within ~12 hours). owner is excellent, experienced in vet med, one of my best cat owners, and I 100% believe her that the cat was not yellow yesterday. The whole case is odd and it's driving me nuts that I have lists of differentials with no answer.

I feel like that's toxin until proven otherwise...

I feel like that's toxin until proven otherwise...

Top two on the DDX are congenital (very small cat, palpable microhepatica, nearly died as a kitten, history of anemia per the owner and slow healing wounds but FELV/FIV negative ), and toxin (fits the fast course and sudden onset, other cats in household fine, no known chemical/rodenticide/plant ingestion and not much even kept in the house), followed by FIP/toxo/other infectious

Happy 1 year graduation anniversary everyone! :)

Reactions: 1 user
Starting my residency tomorrow....and i'm freaking out. So many life changes....:(

Reactions: 4 users
Starting my residency tomorrow....and i'm freaking out. So many life changes....:(

I started my specialty internship this week. And ditto. It'll be OK - a new period of learning in a specialty that you want to be in :) Let us know how it goes!

I started my specialty internship this week. And ditto. It'll be OK - a new period of learning in a specialty that you want to be in :) Let us know how it goes!

Yes...thankfully I don't need to worry about rotating through surgery anymore...not my forte.

Just hard starting all over once again!! Hoping you'll make friends, that you won't mess up on a daily basis....I was also a dummy and got into a relationship during my intern year and now we are long distance....oops? :oops:

I knew I was due for a raise at work but found out today it's better than I expected. So happy! Needless to say, negotiations went well since they beat the number I was asking for. :-D

Reactions: 8 users
Yes...thankfully I don't need to worry about rotating through surgery anymore...not my forte.

Just hard starting all over once again!! Hoping you'll make friends, that you won't mess up on a daily basis....I was also a dummy and got into a relationship during my intern year and now we are long distance....oops? :oops:

You are not a dummy. He is a nice guy and I like you two together :) I miss you lie crazy, however! I start a month of field services soon though so maybe I can make a trip out some weekend!

Members don't see this ad :)
Nope, back to the midwest (and darn happy to be out of the Midatlantic)

I grew up in the mid-atlantic....but fell in love with the midwest last year...so much so that I am now here for at least another 3!

I started my specialty internship 2 weeks ago and tomorrow (ONLY if I get no new pickups) is my first day off.

I just want to point out that YOU ARE ALL OLD NOW.
Hell, I look at pictures of people in V14 and laugh how much they have aged.

Meanwhile Father Time here looks exactly the same. :laugh:

Nothing about me is old! Except my age, and stress levels, and the harassment of having children....

Damn it, I'm old.

And I'm actually pretty good. Nothing is perfect, but I'm happy where I'm at and I get to start pro-sal in a few weeks (which is a 40ish% raise!).

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I just want to point out that YOU ARE ALL OLD NOW.
Hell, I look at pictures of people in V14 and laugh how much they have aged.

Meanwhile Father Time here looks exactly the same. :laugh:

I no longer get carded at my local bar or liquor store. I keep telling myself its because I'm there too much.... I'll never be old.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

I no longer get carded at my local bar or liquor store. I keep telling myself its because I'm there too much.... I'll never be old.

Keep telling yourself that. This year's applicants will have been in middle school when you joined SDN and applied to vet school. :eek:

Can't believe it's been almost 2 years! I'm currently on the job hunt, finishing up equine internship #2.

So it's better for them to think you're an alcoholic than for them to think that you're old?

Reactions: 1 users
Necro bump. Any old people like me still around? How's everyone doing out in the real world?

Reactions: 1 users
I'm still here! Mostly lurking. I finally took the plunge and switched jobs a few months ago. Some of their protocols can be a little old school, but the work/life balance is awesome, and they are so much more understanding of having kids.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 2 users
hi friends. bringing this back for the yearly update. i'm still a late bloomer, just started the residency portion of my program. i missed clinical stuff so much during my 2 years in the lab.

Reactions: 5 users
hi friends. bringing this back for the yearly update. i'm still a late bloomer, just started the residency portion of my program. i missed clinical stuff so much during my 2 years in the lab.

Still here, still old.
Finished my residency (specialty omitted to preserve any shred of anonymity).
Found a place to live (that is not my car or a cardboard box) in my future city.
Passed my boards (AAAAAAAHHHH still in disbelief!!!!!)
Big-kid job starts after Labor Day.
Vacation, sweeeeeeeeet vacation. And then we'll see what comes next. Non-professional goals perhaps? :banana:

Reactions: 5 users
Congrats variegata!

My yearly update is pretty boring...still at the same job as I was back when we graduated!

Nothing wrong with that! I'm kind of envious of that kind of stability. I'm not convinced that where I'm moving this time is going to be my forever home, but I'm hoping it's good enough that I can bide as much time as I need until I can find the right (hopefully) permanent/long-term situation.