Class of 2015... How ya doing?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
It's so cool that y'all do a business rotation. I mean, I have no head for business whatsoever and it would be like torture for me, but I wish we had one. I feel like it is a really important skill that many (some?) of us are lacking in a lot. Especially for us ladies since we are still getting paid less than our male classmates upon graduation.
Yeah, I wasn't sure if it would be useful or not but we had sessions on understanding contracts, loan repayment options, staff management techniques as new employees, how to decide when and if you should own a practice, internships vs straight into practice, etc. I'm sure it was just the very tip of a gigantic iceberg but at least opened my mind to some ideas.

Radiology (Part 1) is done. It was interesting as a first rotation because I got a pretty broad review of things - mostly panic inducing at realizing jus how many differentials I DIDN'T automatically think of but I'll get there, right??? Glad to hear everyone is finishing up and doing well. JUST KEEP SWIMMING!!!!!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
We have a one week 'Career and Practice Management' rotation here that we can take in November. The past fourth years have raved about it, plus it seems like a pretty low key rotation for pre-NAVLE.

Finally got some news about Fish Health. Turns out Monday evening we're heading down to New Brunswick to visit some farms. Looking forward to that, but not looking forward to shared sleeping accommodations. I don't share rooms very well. I will be exhausted and probably not very happy by the time we get back on Wednesday night.

Last edited:
And..... halfway through my first rotation (Small Animal Medicine, some schools would call it Internal Medicine). Kinda a 'jump in the deep end of the pool' type of rotation, but I'd still recommend it.

I think the most important thing I've learned is that it's less important what your cases are, and more important which clinician your cases are attached to. I mean, you definitely don't want to screw your rotation-mates by having them stuck with 'that' clinician, for sure, but if you can avoid certain clinicians your life can be a lot more happy and you can learn a lot more.

Reactions: 2 users
Clinics. Day one. Gulp. Fortunately, there's not too many ways to kill something on Radiology. I hope.

Reactions: 1 users
Spent the better part of the last two days on a boat in the sun at salmon farming sites. Definitely worse ways to spend a rotation!

Dr H: "You guys go walk along the edge of the sea cage and I'll take your picture."
Me: *looking at the edge, which consists of a large circle of PVC piping* "See, I'm convinced if I get out of the boat, I will fall in the water."
Dr H: "You won't. But if you do, I'll give you an A."

Members don't see this ad :)
Spent the better part of the last two days on a boat in the sun at salmon farming sites. Definitely worse ways to spend a rotation!

Dr H: "You guys go walk along the edge of the sea cage and I'll take your picture."
Me: *looking at the edge, which consists of a large circle of PVC piping* "See, I'm convinced if I get out of the boat, I will fall in the water."
Dr H: "You won't. But if you do, I'll give you an A."

I think I would've "accidentally" fallen in after that!

So, we aren't on clinics right now, we're in classes. It's not too bad, weekends off, no on call...that's all good. I do miss clinics a little bit. Although, I work when I have free time so I get the clinical experience without worrying about the politics of the ivory tower. One more exam left and I am seriously struggling. I also have a presentation, but there's a bachelorette party and someone else's birthday party the night before so we'll see how that goes

Something tried to die in Radiology today. We didn't let it. I was not expecting this rotation to give me an adrenaline rush. :D

Officially done with 3rd years!! Proud to have a transcript free of C's! Better than my undergrad transcript can say...and I finished my last final today with an A in small animal medicine!! A month off and then I guess it's time for clinics... :O

Reactions: 5 users
Today was quite interesting. Started off the morning at the university dairy, where I drew blood from the tail veins on a few cows (first time, and it was so awesome!). Then I did a wardrobe change and presented my research (Phi Zeta Day today). Then I met back up with my rotation-mates and our clinician for the day. We soon split up because it was a beautiful afternoon, so I went home and had another wardrobe change to cocktail attire for my husband's senior banquet.

In the middle of that I got a text from the resident who headed the research project saying I won an award (was totally NOT expecting that!) and that I needed to hurry over there to claim it. We left the senior banquet just in time to arrive at the awards banquet for Phi Zeta Day as everyone was leaving. They generously allowed me to accept the full award despite clear warnings that attendance at the banquet was required to claim the monetary component. We quickly realized that the keynote at the senior banquet would be occurring in 15 minutes so we hightailed it out of there and made it back just in time. In all of that, I missed the senior send-off tradition for VM4s, but I really don't think we could have made time for it judging by how frantic the evening turned out to be.

Unless you take a cat in CHF who is open mouth breathing to radiology...that might not end well...
If the cat was in such bad heart failure that it would die taking rads, you prob would have O2 caged it, flashed it, tapped it, lasix'd and stabilized it before you felt like you needed to take rads?

Not saying that critical animals don't go to radiology (brain patient undergoing MRI could certainly herniate and die... and bloat dogs can circle the drain fast and it's clinician dependent when in the process they take rads). But generally patients are stabilized as best as you can before imaging. And if an animal getting imaging is so critical that it's about to die any second, most teaching hospitals will put their house officers and techs in charge (and you as a student will most likely be pushed aside to get the f outa the way).

Yeah, our creature yesterday looked stable when it was sent to Radiology but developed a tension pneumo en route. We weren't expecting it to be a critical patient, so it was just me, the tech in charge, and the medicine resident.

Yeah, our creature yesterday looked stable when it was sent to Radiology but developed a tension pneumo en route. We weren't expecting it to be a critical patient, so it was just me, the tech in charge, and the medicine resident.
But you had a house officer and a tech with you... So it wasn't just students alone with the patient

Vitamin C - so essentially scurvy in fish. I don't know anything about it, but I remembered something about lordosis in fish sooo... yep.

Nope, ruled out along with a bunch of other common causes of scoliosis. Hence my caveat about "very unusual". Prof indicated this was a really weird case and if we couldn't figure it out, she'd give us a hand.

But you had a house officer and a tech with you... So it wasn't just students alone with the patient

Yeah, our radiology techs are awesome, and the way it's set up, we're never really alone with the patient. They're always at least supervising/observing/grading us.

Traumatic fractures unlikely, but not ruled out. Research animals, 1-2 per week showing up with these lesions. But I don't want to write more in case I run up against SDN's "no medical advice" rules.

Traumatic fractures unlikely, but not ruled out. Research animals, 1-2 per week showing up with these lesions. But I don't want to write more in case I run up against SDN's "no medical advice" rules.
several parasites and diseases can cause it. Also electric shock can.

Took yesterday to do absolutely nothing and it was amazing :) Played through Resident Evil 5 with my husband and on one mission, I had a higher accuracy than him (77%) and received a higher rank (rave for me because normally I have an accuracy about 20-25% lower than him).

I completed a ton of work today for my rotation that I didn't expect to get done, so that's a great feeling.

My husband graduates in 6 days. Scary. It'll be us in a year!

Reactions: 3 users
My hobby: telling all my non-vet friends and family what an easy, chill rotation I'm on and then describing my actual hours and listening to their cries of dismay. (56 whole hours? In one week? *le gasp*)

:D

For the record, female-T and I haven't had chance to review stuff and male-T indicated today that he's kind of freaked out. So.... we're all counting on you to know all the things. (Just kidding... mostly. :angelic:)

I checked Moodle the other day for something and...nothing. So I guess I'll just browse random large animal stuff :scared:

Good day on clinics today. Met some wonderfully friendly sturgeon. And then we were ultrasounding crabs with the lab animal vet at school. He was quizzing me (since I'm the one student on that rotation he knows well). I actually knew stuff. I love it when that happens. :)

Good day on clinics today. Met some wonderfully friendly sturgeon. And then we were ultrasounding crabs with the lab animal vet at school. He was quizzing me (since I'm the one student on that rotation he knows well). I actually knew stuff. I love it when that happens. :)

I really enjoy reading your posts about all the cool and unique things you are doing!! sturgeon and crabs and all kinds of unique creatures lol

Knowing absolutely nothing about marine life, I do really enjoy reading your posts :) And when you said sturgeon, my first thought was the town near here by the same name and I got really confused.

I got to put in a jugular catheter on a down cow the other day! I loooove our food animal service.

Knowing absolutely nothing about marine life, I do really enjoy reading your posts :) And when you said sturgeon, my first thought was the town near here by the same name and I got really confused.

I got to put in a jugular catheter on a down cow the other day! I loooove our food animal service.

Were you out with Dr. N? I really enjoy her spunkiness lol

I really enjoy reading your posts about all the cool and unique things you are doing!! sturgeon and crabs and all kinds of unique creatures lol
This rotation has actually been really cool; we've done so much more than I ever expected. Today we bled clams and screened them for cancer.

This rotation has actually been really cool; we've done so much more than I ever expected. Today we bled clams and screened them for cancer.

Haha ... weird ... for a moment I thought you said you bled clams and screened them for cancer.

Oh wait. You did.

o_O

Reactions: 3 users