Class of 2015... How ya doing?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Were you out with Dr. N? I really enjoy her spunkiness lol

Yuppp! All our food animal people are amazing in their own ways but she is really fantastic to work with!

Members don't see this ad.

Yuppp! All our food animal people are amazing in their own ways but she is really fantastic to work with!

Thats good to hear. When I first met her I thought she was a bit intimidating but then it kinda went away as her spunkiness came out more. Im glad your enjoying your food animal rotation!!

Last week of vacation/home time. I have to remind myself it's only six months left there but I'm worried about getting to see my husband since he'd only be able to come up for a long weekend or a regular weekend and with more time between visits than we've done before. I'm feeling so done with this moving of my life around business and I know I'm almost there but ugh.

Members don't see this ad :)
Last week of vacation/home time. I have to remind myself it's only six months left there but I'm worried about getting to see my husband since he'd only be able to come up for a long weekend or a regular weekend and with more time between visits than we've done before. I'm feeling so done with this moving of my life around business and I know I'm almost there but ugh.

Just keep swimming! In other news, the Island is celebrating your impending return with the opening of a burrito restaurant. I'm told it's good (but I probably wouldn't know a good burrito if I fell over one). Wanna make a burrito date for when you get back?

Just keep swimming! In other news, the Island is celebrating your impending return with the opening of a burrito restaurant. I'm told it's good (but I probably wouldn't know a good burrito if I fell over one). Wanna make a burrito date for when you get back?
I heard:D and yes yes yes to burrito date!

Well get up here! Just be like "brb burrito date in canada" I'm sure they'll understand.

"Sorry, yo, I can't take my labs rotation final exam tomorrow because I'm grabbing a burrito. You wants?"

I'll see what the course coordinator thinks. I mean, priorities. Right?

How bad can it be? I mean, we're practically neighbors.

Reactions: 1 user
Mmmm I could really go for Mexican food. One of the perks of moving back to my hometown is I will be near my favorite Mexican restaurant again!!

The house hunt has been casually occurring for the last several weeks, but today we are finally looking at some houses. I am so lucky the food animal clinician I'm currently working with is understanding! Senior days are supposed to be approved 4 weeks in advance. She approved mine 2 days before.

Unfortunately, I'm missing a day of work at a farm that has sheep, goats, and cattle that all need work done. The only good part is, my shoulder got jacked by a cow when I was holding her tail to draw blood, so one more day off will hopefully help.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have no appetite paired with random pangs of stress when I think about things I have to do or could have forgotten to do. Thinking about my next emergency shift makes me want to barf. I'm clueless and lost and I'm forgetting things and I really hate it. I hate not knowing what I'm doing.

I ordered this damn BLT and I didn't even eat half of it. And no lunch today. I'd be worried about starving to death if not for my fat reserves. But it can't be good for energy levels...

got a email with a short list of required presentations to complete before orientation next week. it was littered with red text and highlighting and is generally confusing. on top of it, a whole bunch of it requires us to log in to their systems to complete paperwork, but i'm 99.9% certain we haven't been given that info (kind of thought they were just saving it for orientation honestly...). :shrug:
-------
based on the email response, i'm pretty sure this was just a forwarded email to us that was sent to the original 4th years who know when/where to get paperwork signed and have had log in info since day 1 first year haha. no hw for us! at least not yet :)

Last edited:
Food animal is 2/3 over. Today was my group's 2nd day on in-house, and so far we have had one foot trim. Tomorrow we have a couple of appointments so it should be better. It's been nice not being on the small animal floor for a while. It is kind of a bummer that we only have 5 people though, seeing as we need 3 on call for emergencies or ICU every weekday, and 4 on call on both Sat. and Sun.

In other news, my husband and I made an offer on a house and have negotiated to an agreeable price. Inspection is scheduled for Tuesday. Assuming all goes well, we will have a really fantastic first house :)

Reactions: 1 users
I absolutely adore our large animal prof. She's so knowledgeable and enthusiastic and she's got so many stories. I could listen to that woman all day. And she's so passionate about her patients. It's inspiring to watch.

Food animal is 2/3 over. Today was my group's 2nd day on in-house, and so far we have had one foot trim. Tomorrow we have a couple of appointments so it should be better. It's been nice not being on the small animal floor for a while. It is kind of a bummer that we only have 5 people though, seeing as we need 3 on call for emergencies or ICU every weekday, and 4 on call on both Sat. and Sun.

In other news, my husband and I made an offer on a house and have negotiated to an agreeable price. Inspection is scheduled for Tuesday. Assuming all goes well, we will have a really fantastic first house :)

Congrats on the house!! Will you be staying close to CoMo?

Congrats on the house!! Will you be staying close to CoMo?

The house is in KC where my husband's doing residency :) Although I have a year left, I have <10 months of clinics left with some free time that I can spend moving, working with vets around that area, and trying to find a job. Pretty scary!

The house is in KC where my husband's doing residency :) Although I have a year left, I have <10 months of clinics left with some free time that I can spend moving, working with vets around that area, and trying to find a job. Pretty scary!
Ahhhhh that's so exciting!!! I hope the inspection goes well!! Did he get super lucky and get placed in KC or did he get to pick where he wanted to go? IDN how human med res's work lol

I ordered this damn BLT and I didn't even eat half of it. And no lunch today. I'd be worried about starving to death if not for my fat reserves. But it can't be good for energy levels...
These: Low calorie, increase your sugar levels to be able to think a little. They fit in a white coat pocket without anyone noticing and can be re-sealed if you don't eat the entire thing as you are running in between pharmacy and the clinician for the 900th time.

http://www.amazon.com/GoGo-appleapple-Applesauce-3-2-Ounce-Pouches/dp/B002E0S4UW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1401555704&sr=8-1&keywords=apple sauce packets

I use a different brand (Treetop) but same idea....

I thought I would lose weight because of this during clinics because of this... But no! The once daily 2000-2500 calorie meal that i would shove down my throat right before passing out for the night just made me gain extra weight as my body went into storage mode. It was very sad.

I thought I would lose weight because of this during clinics because of this... But no! The once daily 2000-2500 calorie meal that i would shove down my throat right before passing out for the night just made me gain extra weight as my body went into storage mode. It was very sad.

Great. Lol.

Well, some rotations will allow for normal eating and some won't.

I'm planning to do one preceptor in Austin so I can stay with my sister and then she will feed me too. ;) But I will be there with the five kids, so... It'll still be busy.

Ahhhhh that's so exciting!!! I hope the inspection goes well!! Did he get super lucky and get placed in KC or did he get to pick where he wanted to go? IDN how human med res's work lol

It's the same as veterinary residencies, except the match was created for them and we just stole it. Basically:

1. You decide programs you want to apply to (one or more specialties are okay in the human residency setting, so you can apply to urology [super competitive] and internal medicine [not so competitive] just in case)

2. You go interview wherever people offer you interviews

3. You rank the programs you want - you can rank as many or as few as you want, as long as you applied there in the first place

4. The school ranks you and then the "match" happens where they try to make everyone happy

Here on out is different for human medicine than vet medicine.

5. Med students are told on Monday of match week if you matched - if you don't match, you go through the SOAP (used to be called the scramble) and try to land a spot, wherever you can - if you SOAP successfully, then you know where you are going for residency as soon as they accept you) - if you do match, move to 6

6. Match results are released on Friday so everyone who didn't go through the SOAP/scramble finally finds out where they are going for residency

KC was ranked 5 out of 16 programs, but generally top 5 is what you want when you rank that many. Most people do not rank that many programs but since he went for a pretty competitive specialty, he applied to like 80+ programs, went on a ton of interviews, and ranked a lot of places.

I would guess that it's based off of the number of spots available, not so much that everyone wants to do urology but that there are a lot more residency spots in internal medicine than urology. This is just my guess though because I know nothing about human medicine.

It's the same as veterinary residencies, except the match was created for them and we just stole it. Basically:

1. You decide programs you want to apply to (one or more specialties are okay in the human residency setting, so you can apply to urology [super competitive] and internal medicine [not so competitive] just in case)

2. You go interview wherever people offer you interviews

3. You rank the programs you want - you can rank as many or as few as you want, as long as you applied there in the first place

4. The school ranks you and then the "match" happens where they try to make everyone happy

Here on out is different for human medicine than vet medicine.

5. Med students are told on Monday of match week if you matched - if you don't match, you go through the SOAP (used to be called the scramble) and try to land a spot, wherever you can - if you SOAP successfully, then you know where you are going for residency as soon as they accept you) - if you do match, move to 6

6. Match results are released on Friday so everyone who didn't go through the SOAP/scramble finally finds out where they are going for residency

KC was ranked 5 out of 16 programs, but generally top 5 is what you want when you rank that many. Most people do not rank that many programs but since he went for a pretty competitive specialty, he applied to like 80+ programs, went on a ton of interviews, and ranked a lot of places.
That is super cool! It's awesome that he got into a res in the field that he wanted to and that you guys get to stay close to your family!

Was I the only one surprised by this?

I thought that, this far into my education, I would have finally figured out why med students fall over themselves to do residencies in urology and ophthalmology and derm. Nope. Still a mystery to me. (Though I can probably gue$$ at $ome of the rea$on$. ;))

I thought that, this far into my education, I would have finally figured out why med students fall over themselves to do residencies in urology and ophthalmology and derm. Nope. Still a mystery to me. (Though I can probably gue$$ at $ome of the rea$on$. ;))
derm= lifestyle.
personally I think the kidneys are really cool, wish mine worked properly... and I think renal physiology is fascinating.
optho... $$$

Dammit. One of my friends just let me know that the next book in one of my favorite series just came out a few days ago (I'm so out of touch with 'real life' I didn't even know it was coming out....). Now I'm going to be up all night reading. And I'm on ultrasound rotation: sitting in the quiet dark room all day long.

If I have lunch tomorrow, the combination of post-prandial and lack of sleep might be more than I can manage.

Dammit. One of my friends just let me know that the next book in one of my favorite series just came out a few days ago (I'm so out of touch with 'real life' I didn't even know it was coming out....). Now I'm going to be up all night reading. And I'm on ultrasound rotation: sitting in the quiet dark room all day long.

If I have lunch tomorrow, the combination of post-prandial and lack of sleep might be more than I can manage.

Oh man, good luck! I'm really bad at staying awake in such circumstances!

What book is it?

the gunners at NCSU would like you to know that the NAVLE application for Nov/Dec is now available, in case you're a slacker like me and had no idea that was happening now haha

the gunners at NCSU would like you to know that the NAVLE application for Nov/Dec is now available, in case you're a slacker like me and had no idea that was happening now haha
Scary!!!

I'll be on radiology over here and will trying to stay awake too....and I didn't even stay up all night....

I'll be on radiology over here and will trying to stay awake too....and I didn't even stay up all night....
Yup ultrasound is the worst. So boring, so dark and warm and cozy. Who wouldn't fall asleep in those conditions? When your only real function is to hold that dog's leg in place for 15 minutes and wartch while the radiologist find nothing but a normal abdomen, it gets real old real fast. Radiology was by far my least favorite rotation ever. It made it that much worse because I had a super annoying rotation mate I couldn't get away from in said dark boring room. It was so busy with patient after patient rolling in... But so so so gawd awfully boring.

My worst sleeping on clinics moment was during a conj graft procedure, when I got to sit at the scope with the resident. Really bad food coma, and I'd already watched 2 on a monitor... I kept nodding off and kept almost hitting the scope/surgery table. That would have been bad. The dog was on atracurium for a reason...

Yup ultrasound is the worst. So boring, so dark and warm and cozy. Who wouldn't fall asleep in those conditions? When your only real function is to hold that dog's leg in place for 15 minutes and wartch while the radiologist find nothing but a normal abdomen, it gets real old real fast.
Just 15 minutes? Wow...I had radiology as my first rotation and I don't think we ever had an abdominal ultrasound that took less than 45 minutes or so. Definitely not less than 30.

I'd like to vouch for the fact that @that redhead is a fantastic classmate and friend. Two cases came in at 3:30 today, a scours calf and a horse with respiratory distress. She took the calf, I took the horse - I offered her the horse, but she took the calf. I'm not a fan of diarrhea; I can deal with it (wouldn't last long in this business if I couldn't), but I'd really rather avoid it if possible. Plus, she's on after-hours tonight. As I was leaving tonight, I asked her to give my resp distress horse some hay. "Already on it, I just turned the hay steamer off to let it cool." :)

Our office informed us, though apparently this is the for the Americans, the Canadian one opens in a few days. Same exam, different application procedure.

Yup ultrasound is the worst. So boring, so dark and warm and cozy. Who wouldn't fall asleep in those conditions? When your only real function is to hold that dog's leg in place for 15 minutes and wartch while the radiologist find nothing but a normal abdomen, it gets real old real fast. Radiology was by far my least favorite rotation ever. It made it that much worse because I had a super annoying rotation mate I couldn't get away from in said dark boring room. It was so busy with patient after patient rolling in... But so so so gawd awfully boring.

My worst sleeping on clinics moment was during a conj graft procedure, when I got to sit at the scope with the resident. Really bad food coma, and I'd already watched 2 on a monitor... I kept nodding off and kept almost hitting the scope/surgery table. That would have been bad. The dog was on atracurium for a reason...

Man. I really am liking our ultrasound rotation. Yeah, we have to sit there and hold, but that gives me a good close-up chance to watch the tech's technique and images and form my opinions. Then, we get to scan the animal before the radiologist comes down, so I can go back over things again and confirm/reassess and build my own technique/skill. Then, I watch it for the third time with the radiologist, who can affirm or correct my findings and grill us on the significance, etc.

And we start every day with 1.5 hours of teaching 'rounds' with one of the ultrasound techs, who goes through some particular anatomy, after which we all take turns on a volunteer animal. Liver/spleen one day, kidneys/adrenals another, bladder/lymph nodes, etc. It's really nice to take one very manageable chunk every day and focus on it... I'm finding as the rotation goes my 'skill' (using that term super loosely) is building very nicely.

I'm finding it a great rotation for reviewing anatomy, too.

Today was a bit slow; o we scanned a clinician's pregnant labrador. That was a fun change of pace.

But yes. It has moments of "oh crap ... I just ate and the lights are down and I'm abo...Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz".

Man. I really am liking our ultrasound rotation. Yeah, we have to sit there and hold, but that gives me a good close-up chance to watch the tech's technique and images and form my opinions. Then, we get to scan the animal before the radiologist comes down, so I can go back over things again and confirm/reassess and build my own technique/skill. Then, I watch it for the third time with the radiologist, who can affirm or correct my findings and grill us on the significance, etc.

And we start every day with 1.5 hours of teaching 'rounds' with one of the ultrasound techs, who goes through some particular anatomy, after which we all take turns on a volunteer animal. Liver/spleen one day, kidneys/adrenals another, bladder/lymph nodes, etc. It's really nice to take one very manageable chunk every day and focus on it... I'm finding as the rotation goes my 'skill' (using that term super loosely) is building very nicely.

Today was a bit slow; o we scanned a clinician's pregnant labrador. That was a fun change of pace.

But yes. It has moments of "oh crap ... I just ate and the lights are down and I'm abo...Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz".
this sounds like an amazing rotation!!

this sounds like an amazing rotation!!

Seriously. Ultrasound is an elective here... and it's pretty slow and we have no u/s techs so you watch the Dr. do it. I think sometimes they let people bring their own animals in for fun but nothing even close to what you are describing. I would LOVE to have an ultrasound rotation like yours!

That sounds amazing! I would have really loved it if that's how things worked for us.

That sounds amazing! I would have really loved it if that's how things worked for us.

It's maybe not *quite* as awesome as I made it sound ... we do have two students per machine, so we rotate scanning. And there are some patients that we (students) don't get to scan ... if they're just not tolerating it well or there is some other reason to really hurry things along.

But in general I'm finding it a pretty excellent learning rotation. And I love the daily 'anatomical focused' teaching rounds done by the techs. So every day I try and spend my time on the patients reviewing what we've learned previous days and practicing what we just learned that day. It's fun - when I started the rotation I couldn't find a medial iliac lymph node if it jumped off the screen at me. Today I was running through a patient and found myself thinking "ok, that wasn't bad; I found both of them pretty quickly." It's a nice feeling.

I'd like to vouch for the fact that @that redhead is a fantastic classmate and friend. Two cases came in at 3:30 today, a scours calf and a horse with respiratory distress. She took the calf, I took the horse - I offered her the horse, but she took the calf. I'm not a fan of diarrhea; I can deal with it (wouldn't last long in this business if I couldn't), but I'd really rather avoid it if possible. Plus, she's on after-hours tonight. As I was leaving tonight, I asked her to give my resp distress horse some hay. "Already on it, I just turned the hay steamer off to let it cool." :)

Our office informed us, though apparently this is the for the Americans, the Canadian one opens in a few days. Same exam, different application procedure.
I just saw this and after a day like today... Thank you! :) you are also of course an amazing friend and rotation mate...maybe because we're the same person?!