Class of 2015... How ya doing?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
No no no, redhead and I are the same person, but different versions: she's the American Version and I'm the Canadian Version. So it's fine. :D

When your client is only coming to pick up his horse at 5:30 PM, you know you're probably not having a short day. When the first words out of his mouth are, "I have some questions about this bill...." you REALLY know you're not getting home any time soon. (He was very nice about it though.)

On the bright side, I nailed rounds this morning and I got some very lovely feedback from one of my profs. :)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
the gunners at NCSU would like you to know that the NAVLE application for Nov/Dec is now available, in case you're a slacker like me and had no idea that was happening now haha
$590..... *grumble grumble* that's a waste of my hard earned fake loan money! ;)

As for our radiology rotation - sounds like it's a mix of the two extremes you guys have had. We spend 4/10 days in ultrasound, 4/10 day in the "film" reading room, and two days tech'ing. We also have an optional radiology lecture on Tuesdays/Thursdays by out tech. We get to scan well behaved dogs after they get an FNA and we wait for clin path to tell us if the sample is cellular or not. It works. The film reading days are the ones that really get me. Way too much sitting around for me!! It could be worse though!

Reactions: 1 user
$590..... *grumble grumble* that's a waste of my hard earned fake loan money! ;)

As for our radiology rotation - sounds like it's a mix of the two extremes you guys have had. We spend 4/10 days in ultrasound, 4/10 day in the "film" reading room, and two days tech'ing. We also have an optional radiology lecture on Tuesdays/Thursdays by out tech. We get to scan well behaved dogs after they get an FNA and we wait for clin path to tell us if the sample is cellular or not. It works. The film reading days are the ones that really get me. Way too much sitting around for me!! It could be worse though!

Our ultrasound rotation is separate from radiology; I'm doing only ultrasound for this two weeks, which I really like.

This is really weird, but the $590 doesn't piss me off as much as the $50 I have to pay to Minnesota just for them to tell NBVME that "LIS can take the nat'l board test." That seems outright crooked. The school sends the state all the info, and all the state does is basically say "yup! good to go!" For $50. Harrumph.

I know the $590 should bother me more. I think it's just that I saw <that> one coming, but not the $50 rubberstamp.

I am physically and emotionally exhausted.

I have gotten no more than 5 hrs of sleep on any night for the last week, with the average being ~3.5-4 hrs/night. I can't go into detail about what's going on, but to anyone who goes to Mizzou who's gotten the emails this week, that was my case. I went drinking twice this week. I don't go drinking, ever. I hate bars. But I needed it. I'm exhausted. I cried during rounds on Friday because they were entirely about my patient and the ifs and thens surrounding the case. I get sick to my stomach just thinking about it. This week was a ****ing ****show and I'm sick of it.

Surprisingly, I love love LOVE this rotation (food animal) and I'm going to be so very sad to leave it after Tuesday. Ugh. WTF.

I have gotten no more than 5 hrs of sleep on any night for the last week, with the average being ~3.5-4 hrs/night. I can't go into detail about what's going on, but to anyone who goes to Mizzou who's gotten the emails this week, that was my case. I went drinking twice this week. I don't go drinking, ever. I hate bars. But I needed it. I'm exhausted. I cried during rounds on Friday because they were entirely about my patient and the ifs and thens surrounding the case. I get sick to my stomach just thinking about it. This week was a ******* ****show and I'm sick of it.

Surprisingly, I love love LOVE this rotation (food animal) and I'm going to be so very sad to leave it after Tuesday. Ugh. WTF.

Dunno what's going on but I'm sorry that you're going through something so stressful :(

I'm feeling just wiped out mentally. It doesn't help that there are stress pockets cropping up everywhere in my life and I just want to curl up under my blankets and sleep until the end of November when I can go home for good. I'm learning so much on this rotation but today and this evening especially I'm at the "everyone leave me alone" point.

I have gotten no more than 5 hrs of sleep on any night for the last week, with the average being ~3.5-4 hrs/night. I can't go into detail about what's going on, but to anyone who goes to Mizzou who's gotten the emails this week, that was my case. I went drinking twice this week. I don't go drinking, ever. I hate bars. But I needed it. I'm exhausted. I cried during rounds on Friday because they were entirely about my patient and the ifs and thens surrounding the case. I get sick to my stomach just thinking about it. This week was a ******* ****show and I'm sick of it.

OMG I wanna know what's going on so bad. I knew we had an expensive animal in the hospital but That wouldn't really fit food animal.. And I know last weekend was a ****show on the equine rotation.. I'm gonna PM you!

I'm feeling ridiculously spoiled but very afraid at the same time. I've had all really relaxed rotations without many inpatients - I know moments like @scb44f are coming and it scares me!
Clinics is a million times better than class any day of the week ever. I'm so glad I don't have to ever go back into the classroom again.

Thanks guys. I'm sorry I have to be so vague because it is a really awesome case that put a lot of things into action that I thought (read: hoped) I'd never see, but yeah, we'll just leave it at that.

@heylodeb, you will totally be able to handle moments like this. I thought I was going to die. I got 7 hours of sleep last night and feel [mostly] ready to take on the day. The plus side is, you know that the craziness can only go on so long until you switch rotations and have a whole new set of challenges to face.

Is it possible to PM it, scb? Now I'm curious, though I understand if you don't want to say anything more.

In other news: Calves are adorable. And I love it when they start to feel good enough that they're a bit of a pain in the butt. :D

Members don't see this ad :)
Is it possible to PM it, scb? Now I'm curious, though I understand if you don't want to say anything more.

In other news: Calves are adorable. And I love it when they start to feel good enough that they're a bit of a pain in the butt. :D

I've been instructed not to talk about it. :-/ sorry

..... that feeling when you go from an interesting, low-stress, educational, 8-5 weekday-only rotation to two 10-12 hr/day 7 days/week rotations back to back.

Sigh.

i am so overwhelmed studying for my exotics rotation that starts tomorrow. i dont remember anything from 1.5 years ago when we had this info in a whirlwind class!

i am so overwhelmed studying for my exotics rotation that starts tomorrow. i dont remember anything from 1.5 years ago when we had this info in a whirlwind class!
In my (two weeks) experience, they don't expect you to know everything immediately. It's just a different way of thinking and you just have to get used to it by doing :)

Today has been mentally, physically and above all, emotionally exhausting. I just want to go home and go to bed, but I'm here for another two hours.

Today has been mentally, physically and above all, emotionally exhausting. I just want to go home and go to bed, but I'm here for another two hours.
i've only been in clinics for two days now, but i get home and i feel like i'm just sitting at the base of a mountain i have so much stuff to do. my poor dog thinks i hate him and i'm going to be gone for 17 hours tomorrow on a field trip (yay aquarium!). after we get back from a long and exhausting day tomorrow, we have to prep for our busiest day of appointments (thursday). ahhhhh i want more hours in each day!!

Today sucked. It was one of those "couldn't pull a right answer out of my ass if it was yes, no, or maybe" kinda days. Maybe I'm not cut out for this.

Ugh. Discharges to write for the rest of the evening. Not enjoying this right now. At all.

Oh Man. Sounds like the world has it cut out for 2015 right now! Chin up guys. We've totally got this. Tomorrow is another day or if all else fails - new rotation will cycle around soon. Sorry about the crummy day. :(

I start cardiology tomorrow. Honestly, I'm not that excited to leave food animal. I didn't think I'd enjoy it this much. I have loved (almost) every minute of it. Except that all my patients on in-house have died except for one that is boarding, and even then I don't get to discharge her. I got to use a captive bolt today for the first time though, so I guess that's cool.

Really though, I'm not super pumped to go through cardiology for a third time... I truly wish I could stay on food animal for another couple of weeks :p Clearly I am not currently planning on going for with the whole cardiology thing at this point.

I start cardiology tomorrow.

You guys switch rotations mid week or is this just some weird scheduling thing?

I'm waiting for this SAM rotation to quit sucking. It's very weird, too. I really admire and like all of my clinicians ... I just can't seem to cough up <anything> that they're looking for and it's really playing hell with my confidence.

SAM, we're not friends right now.

You guys switch rotations mid week or is this just some weird scheduling thing?

I'm waiting for this SAM rotation to quit sucking. It's very weird, too. I really admire and like all of my clinicians ... I just can't seem to cough up <anything> that they're looking for and it's really playing hell with my confidence.

SAM, we're not friends right now.

Yeah we start new rotations on Wednesdays. I think it's weird, and it means we don't get weekends between rotations, but oh well.

Good luck on SAM. I wasn't super great on that rotation, but it was my first real rotation in the hospital so I'm going to blame it on that :p

Yeah. SAM was my first rotation (and now my fourth) as well. First time around I felt like it went a LOT better.

Oh yeah! I forgot you've already had it. What do you go to after this round of SAM?

Well I have happy news :) My guarded prognosis cow is looking better every day and I've decided I'm going to make her the topic of my clinical conference presentation thing we have to do. I'm going to be sad saying goodbye when this rotation is over tomorrow (although I have to be in over the weekend). I've enjoyed this rotation a lot and I can't imagine having to work with small animals in a hospital instead of a barn for my next six weeks :(

Oh yeah! I forgot you've already had it. What do you go to after this round of SAM?

Anesthesia. Looking forward to it. And then cardio, which (judging by our cardio chief) should be super educational. I'll probably suck at it - I feel like I know nothing about the heart - but I bet I come out a lot more comfortable with the material.

Another rotation down! I can't believe how fast this year is going. Today was graduation for the class of 2014 and we all sat around watching the podcast. Every ward/office/treatment room/consultation room computer had it on and there was barely a dry eye in the hospital. I can't WAIT FOR NEXT YEAR!!!

In other news - Dentistry next. Rumor has it that they are pretty darn finicky (sp? ;) ) about doing things "their" way in records and things so I'm spending some time this weekend looking over old charts to try and get my stuffs together. WOOT.

Another rotation down! I can't believe how fast this year is going. Today was graduation for the class of 2014 and we all sat around watching the podcast. Every ward/office/treatment room/consultation room computer had it on and there was barely a dry eye in the hospital. I can't WAIT FOR NEXT YEAR!!!

In other news - Dentistry next. Rumor has it that they are pretty darn finicky (sp? ;) ) about doing things "their" way in records and things so I'm spending some time this weekend looking over old charts to try and get my stuffs together. WOOT.

SAM has improved modestly as the week has gone on. I at least feel like things aren't spiraling out of control.

Really wish we could discuss cases here. I just sent home a patient with a tentative diagnosis of Budd-Chiari Syndrome. The work-up on it was .... interesting. Sucks we can't discuss them.

SAM has improved modestly as the week has gone on. I at least feel like things aren't spiraling out of control.

Really wish we could discuss cases here. I just sent home a patient with a tentative diagnosis of Budd-Chiari Syndrome. The work-up on it was .... interesting. Sucks we can't discuss them.

Ooh, interesting. And yeah, I wish we could as well. Not just to share my own cool stuff but because I think we'd learn at least a bit from hearing about others'.

Reactions: 2 users
Yeah - I've seen some awesome stuff that I'd love to chat about. Darn that client confidentiality :p

I'M HOME! Well mostly. Back in Halifax, staying with a classmate while I'm at a private exotics and avin practice for two weeks. This will be my first external so I'm a little nervous!

I'M HOME! Well mostly. Back in Halifax, staying with a classmate while I'm at a private exotics and avin practice for two weeks. This will be my first external so I'm a little nervous!
Super jealous. Good luck!

I started on the small animal side of things today in community practice. So far so good. But I really really really do not want to have to be on surgery of anything. We have to do some basic elective procedures in this rotations but I have so much "do not want" for surgery in my heart.

Reactions: 2 users

I started on the small animal side of things today in community practice. So far so good. But I really really really do not want to have to be on surgery of anything. We have to do some basic elective procedures in this rotations but I have so much "do not want" for surgery in my heart.
me too!! people dont seem to get how anyone could possibly not love surgery. anything more than what can be done in the ER and i just feel very meh about.

I'll sneak in in a gown and mask and do the rest of your surgery rotation if you'll come finish out my SA internal meds rotation. ;)

I'm enjoying community practice. I'm thinking that if I get a residency and if I have time, I'd like to do some side work as an exotics vet in general practice since I'm also kind of enjoying the client interaction lately (all amazing clients though, so I'll just wait until I get an angry one and re-assess, heh). I'm not sure if there's a "market" for that, but it seems like there are still plenty of vets that are comfortable with say, rabbits and piggies but not birds and reptiles that I might be able to sneak into that market. My friend with the chickens also asked me to be her (meat) rabbit vet when I get out in exchange for smoked rabbit and chicken tacos...sold :D

I've been having the same sort of thoughts, redhead. I still don't want to do general practice full times (so many vaccine appointments....) but I've been enjoying it and it might be fun to do it part time or if I don't get a residency right away, a year in private practice and dabbling in exotics (everything but birds) might be coo

Rocked it today with a spiffy head bandage (complete with lightning bolt decoration) and knowing a bunch about bacteria and avian influenza. And by chance, I was reunited with a very cool vet tech student who was doing practicum work at AVC during my last rotation, and is now on practicum at the same clinic as me.

might be coo

:eek:

Have you been spending time in Scotland??

Highland_Cattle_4.jpg

COO-BEASTIE! STEAL IT, NAC MAC FEEGLE! (10 points* for reference)

And no, sadly. Just a typo. Unless New Scotland counts.

*Points are worthless except for conferring minor bragging rights.