Class of 2015... How ya doing?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I've been working with a pathologist at a drug company for 6 months to set up an externship. After having a 4 week externship basically planned, I got word today that they can only host me if I stay at the company for 8 weeks, which is longer than my school will allow at one place. So, I guess it's back to square one finding an externship for the spring semester. This is the second of my externships to fall through. I'm sure it will all work out in the end, but it sucks to have invested time in planning this and it fall through.

Members don't see this ad.

I've been working with a pathologist at a drug company for 6 months to set up an externship. After having a 4 week externship basically planned, I got word today that they can only host me if I stay at the company for 8 weeks, which is longer than my school will allow at one place. So, I guess it's back to square one finding an externship for the spring semester. This is the second of my externships to fall through. I'm sure it will all work out in the end, but it sucks to have invested time in planning this and it fall through.

I've had a big one fall through too, it sucks :( Good luck finding another place, I'll keep my fingers crossed for you!

Reactions: 1 user
I've had a big one fall through too, it sucks :( Good luck finding another place, I'll keep my fingers crossed for you!

Yeah. And then you sound like a schmuck when you call some place to set one up late in the game and it sorta becomes glaringly obvious that they weren't a first choice. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Another rotation done. Really didn't want it to end, the staff at the clinic were so great. Almost tempting to forego residency and just go into general mixed species practice.

Why not what? Why not go into mixed practice? Cause a) I didn't automatically stop loving lab animal medicine and b) there's still a lot of monotony in mixed practice (vaccine appointments, spay/neuter) that doesn't appeal to me.

Why not what? Why not go into mixed practice? Cause a) I didn't automatically stop loving lab animal medicine and b) there's still a lot of monotony in mixed practice (vaccine appointments, spay/neuter) that doesn't appeal to me.
Ah ok. It seemed more like you were so dead set on residency that you couldn't go into practice.
Now I see.

Carry on. Nothing to see here.

Reactions: 1 users
Kinda happy - placed my first (live animal) epidural today and it went swimmingly. Was able to maintain the animal on 1% sevo with the epidural on board. Very slick. I'm sold.

Reactions: 4 users

If I get a residency, the plan is to supplement my income as an exotics vet on weekends or something. I feel like this would also appeal to you...more evidence that we are in fact the same person :D

In other news... ICU is tough. Really glad I'm learning their ropes while I'm on community practice and not SAM.

We needed more? Can't wait for the short sarcastic redhead reunion for radiology! :D

h1AD0DE66

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I was going to "like" LIS' post, but then I thought "I shouldn't LIKE this, should i"?
Does it make me a bad person that I automatically liked it?
Too much South Park.
And I'm a red head now so I get a pass, right?

Sitting in the hospital for my first overnight ER shift....Venti latte is slacking on the job. When is nap time? ;)

Right? I just got home from being called in for anesthesia. Zzzzzz
Ugh. Nothing is happening. Just a little lethargic shelter kitty- which honestly, I'm kinda ok with....wish I wasn't so weird about sleeping in public places. I could totally grab a gurney and have a nice ol' nap.

Ugh. Nothing is happening. Just a little lethargic shelter kitty- which honestly, I'm kinda ok with....wish I wasn't so weird about sleeping in public places. I could totally grab a gurney and have a nice ol' nap.

there's a resident assist room that is specifically for overnight ER students to use dude, it's lockable and private and everything.

there's a resident assist room that is specifically for overnight ER students to use dude, it's lockable and private and everything.

Yes - I did end up sleeping there for about 3 hours....but redhead's post is EXACTLY why I would have preferred a gurney :p nasty things go on in that room. I'm sure of it.....

Narrowing down which schools to apply for a residency at is hard. I wish I had more time to visit places, but the schedule gods were not kind to me. I've managed to visit two programs, but it's hard to narrow down the others when all I have to go on is a short, two page program description. On one hand it seems like application deadlines are so far away, but the next few months will fly by and really aren't that far away at all.

Things are a lot crazy in my life right now, but I am absolutely loving clinics at the moment :) And food animal was insanely awesome, moreso than cardio even. I'm not sure what the heck I want to do with my life, but I know it's going to be amazing! I just need the non-school part of my life to work out somehow and I'll be set...

Molecular biology rescheduled for the 14th-18th, due to some very quick work by the prof in charge of it. Going to talk to the administration tomorrow to express my displeasure about the whole situation. It'll work out, but it shouldn't have happened in the first place and I'd like someone held accountable. Luckily Dr H can offer it twice, once for me in July and once in August for the other student who was signed up. This also means I won't be home for my birthday :(. Hey, @that redhead, wanna go to Churchill's or something with me?

Molecular biology rescheduled for the 14th-18th, due to some very quick work by the prof in charge of it. Going to talk to the administration tomorrow to express my displeasure about the whole situation. It'll work out, but it shouldn't have happened in the first place and I'd like someone held accountable. Luckily Dr H can offer it twice, once for me in July and once in August for the other student who was signed up. This also means I won't be home for my birthday :(. Hey, @that redhead, wanna go to Churchill's or something with me?

I was trying to plan a Rick's Fish and Chips outing hopefully this weekend and you are totally invited :D

Yikes. How long are your rotations? Did you choose that many??

Everyone (I think) at MN has to take 4 internal med rotations. Since I'm tracking Small Animal, all four of mine are small animal. 2 weeks each (2 months total).

If I could take fewer than 4 I would ... the learning is good on SAM, but I feel like many of the clinicians are intentionally harder on students that is really useful for teaching. Moreso than the other rotations I've been on, anyway. All that classic crap that you hear about .... I heard one clinician telling another that he had a student that was "all bent out of shape" about a case and that he was "just going to let her stew on it" ... heard a clinician say "my goal is to make someone cry" (and he succeeded). All that stupid, pointless, ego-based stuff that detracts from actually, yanno, making students better doctors. I haven't really seen that kind of nonsense on the other rotations (but granted, I've only had 2 SAMs and 3 other rotations).

The mixed people have ... I think they have flexibility to choose whatever mix of internal med rotations they want - LA, SA, or other? (I'm not even sure what other internal med rotations we have.)
Seems like the equine people can have a mix, too, because I know at least one that talked about taking a small animal medicine rotation.

I dunno. I really only know the SA requirements.

Huh, interesting. We only have to do 1 3-week rotation of internal medicine, can be small animal or large animal. I've got 1 3 week rotation of large animal medicine and 2 3-week rotations of companion animal medicine, but that's because I chose them (I like internal medicine, it's surgery that makes me curl into a little ball and whimper).

I know what you mean about the clinicians, LIS. I always wonder to myself if they would treat someone like that outside of the rotation. Like if I met you at a party and asked you a question, would you just stare at me like you were wondering why the help had spoken out of turn? Or how would they feel if a teacher set out to make their son or daughter cry at school? I feel pretty confident that they're decent human beings (fortunately we don't have any truly evil clinicians as far as I can tell...well, except for one in LAM but she was more exasperating and rude than evil) but I don't understand why people feel entitled to be jerks because someone was once a jerk to them or because they know more than a bunch of vet students? I know it requires a special type of person to be able to teach and be able to put up with a new crop of clueless students every few weeks and I try to thank everyone for their patience with me. But that doesn't give you a free pass to be an ass all of the time.

(Whoa, rant. Sorry!)

I actually found it interesting that we don't have to take more internal med. I'm signed up for a LAM and a SAM but that's it (6 weeks total). They're really demanding rotations obviously, but I think they really encourage you to learn the nitty gritties of, yanno, medicine that transfers to anything anyone wants to do with their degree.

the senior curriculum is way different now but for our class at Davis on SA track we had to take 7 weeks of SA med, in 2 total rotations so one 4 week and one 3 week (of course if you were stuck near a holiday you had to do an extra .5 weeks on one of those, which I was lucky enough to experience!).

I also took 2 weeks of livestock med as an elective.

I'm not sure whether I'd rather have four 2 week rotations or one 4 week and one 3.5 week. That sort of sucked. And apparently SA IM faculty are similar everywhere, LIS. ;)

We have one 2-week SAIM rotation that's required, and then we all take food animal (6 weeks split into regulatory, field services, and in-house) and equine (6 weeks split into surgery, medicine, and ambulatory). I took 2 SAIM research electives back to back, so I did 4 weeks of fairly independent research which was really nice!

Day 1 of Molecular Biology rotation. Arrived at 9 AM, did some PCR, had a long lunch, ran a gel, left at 3 PM. (Though I did do a bit of reading once I got home...). I could get used to this, but probably shouldn't.

ECC is totally not my thing. I just want cowssss.

I had a chat with the supervisor for my current rotation today. She's such a sweetheart (but I already knew that), and said if I wanted to come back later in the year for more experience, I could, and depending on the time I have, I might even be able to do a little project and get my name on a publication. And then I got to practice my mouse handling skills and do some ear notches.

Well, I don't really know what's going on in my life outside of school. I still love school, even though I don't think ECC is for me.

I'm pretty well exhausted though. Relationship issues, moving the vast majority of my belongings two hours away while on clinics, going to counseling sessions, missing my dog....

Although IM isn't as terrible as I thought it might be, I'm still pretty worn out. Ready for a break from this place. I have some preceptors coming up, so there's that, plus my next couple rotations will be 'easier'... or at least the hours won't be too bad.

Sorry for all the piled-on crap, scb. No bueno. I hope things smooth out soon.

Well, I don't really know what's going on in my life outside of school. I still love school, even though I don't think ECC is for me.

I'm pretty well exhausted though. Relationship issues, moving the vast majority of my belongings two hours away while on clinics, going to counseling sessions, missing my dog....

Scb, I'm very sorry to hear your having a hard time. Feel free to message me here or on FB if you need a friend to vent to.

I don't know if the distance / living apart from your hubby is part of the issue, but if it is, hang in there. Distance sucks but you can and will find a way to make it work. Distance can create issues in a relationship that did not exist before you lived apart (I know this from experience, my husband and I have been long distance for over 3 years now). It also doesn't help that both of you are very busy becoming awesome doctors... What helped me and my guy out a lot was making sure we spoke on the phone everyday- even for just 5 minutes when you're crawling in bed. Hearing eachothers voice made a big difference for us. Skype/ FaceTime are also very helpful . If distance isn't part of the problem then just ignore everything I said lol. But, hang in there and keep pushing- graduation for you guys is about 10 months away!!

After a lot of mental anguish and soul searching, I've decided to apply through the Match this year. I was just only going to apply to the DVSc at Guelph, but there's too many good programs at amazing places in the USA and I feel like I'd be cheating myself if I didn't at least apply. I'm limiting the search to the NE, cause I feel like that's the most Canada-ish and the least likely to cause major culture shock.

Sorry to hear this :( Hang in there. TT, I hope things start looking up for you with the preceptors!

Thanks for the support, guys! We have done distance before and handled it fine. The distance this go around is a complicating factor in that it we are having to deal with it while trying to fix other issues going on. To give you an idea of what's going on, I got attached to a patient on food animal and we ended up euthanizing her after she was in the hospital for more than a few days. When I came home crying, looking for support, I was told something along the lines of "suck it up, it's just a cow". That happened around the time when I was realizing I absolutely love food animal medicine and was pretty damn devastating to hear. That's not really all that's going on, but that was the big eye opener to me that something about our relationship isn't right.

Aaaaanyway.... I'm liking ECC more and more. Still not for me, but it's going better than I thought!

And to edit the list of piled on crap, I have my dog back now :)