Class of 2015... How ya doing?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
You will have interviews coming out of your ears. Your grades are solid, you'll have fantastic letters of rec and you've got TONS of experience. Programs will be duelling to the death to get you.

:love: I know you will get interview love too!

(Have I ever mentioned how awesome my friends are? Ridiculously awesome, in case anyone was wondering.)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I'll be whittling too, just in the opposite direction ;) husband and I are planning a skype date on where I'll apply after all the programs are up...eek. I'm hoping a he'll tag along on some interviews (should I be so lucky) to help scope out places and decide!
You've got this :)

I went to "search programs" and it said we could access on sept 15. I thought oct 15th too, but I'll take a peek Monday and see if there's anything to be seen?

And holy moley...I've got like 30! :laugh: are you trying to stay in Canada or also considering US programs?

Ah I see, I was just going by their homepage. I hope that it is Sept 15th! Ideally I'd like to stay in Canada to be close to my family/boyfriend but I will be looking into US programs as well..mostly in nearby states (NY, PA, OH) but if I find a program I really like I would be open to applying anywhere.

Members don't see this ad :)
Nov 24th...:eek:
i have the pleasure of driving over an hour away too, because i need to take it in nov because of my schedule and raleigh was completely booked solid. bah.

Reactions: 1 users
Wusses. Booked NAVLE for the first day of the window.

.... mostly because I'm on vacation. Otherwise I'd probably aim for the last day. :)

Got the 24th, 7 hours away from here, but only an hour and a half away from home. I wanted to take it the first week but the days I could were already taken by the time I was able to get online. Stupid Gainesville

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm taking it Nov. 17th as well, LIS! I'm going to be happy to get it out of the way!

In other news, the teaching hospital's supply of Pancrezyme is expired and I have a patient who needs it staying at the hospital. So I called 6 clinics in town until I found one that carries it and was willing to let us bring them a bottle of it back when it comes in.

Dec 4th for me. And seriously, 8am start time is brutal :(

I'm a little annoyed about that. We're not all morning people, dammit. I'd MUCH rather take it starting at, say, 2pm. Or heck, even 10am. But not 8am. I'll be lucky to score 33% on the first hour or so of the test.

I mean, really. There's all sorts of documentation about morning vs night people ... and they'll make all sorts of accommodations for people with test anxiety. They should let us night people start the test later.

I know. I'm being grumpy. I'm over it now. Mostly.

I'm a little annoyed about that. We're not all morning people, dammit. I'd MUCH rather take it starting at, say, 2pm. Or heck, even 10am. But not 8am. I'll be lucky to score 33% on the first hour or so of the test.

I mean, really. There's all sorts of documentation about morning vs night people ... and they'll make all sorts of accommodations for people with test anxiety. They should let us night people start the test later.

Do you still need a Snickers? :p

Also, I am very much a night person, but for some reason when it comes to exams, I hate waiting until afternoon for them, would much rather just wake up, get to the exam and get it over with. The test anxiety then builds up all morning and is way too high once afternoon hits for exams that are later. However, 8AM is very early, 10AM would be better.

I wouldn't mind if it was like, roll outta bed, take exam. But you know you have to be there early, you have to have time to get there and time to eat some breakfast (I hate eating breakfast at the crack of dawn...mrrrr.) I will definitely be wearing sweats and a hoodie in rebellion.

(jk I always wear sweats and a hoodie when even marginally acceptable...)

We switched clinicians on anesthesia between last week and this week. While I'm still not totally loving anesthesia and I'm still pretty sure it's going to give me an ulcer, I love the anesthesiologist on right now and I am learning a TON.

Tomorrow, I face my greatest anesthesia foe to date. Worse than the porcupine quill filled dog. Worse than the enucleation. Worse than the horse. Tomorrow... I anesthetize a perfectly healthy cat. :eek::uhno:

Tomorrow, I face my greatest anesthesia foe to date. Worse than the porcupine quill filled dog. Worse than the enucleation. Worse than the horse. Tomorrow... I anesthetize a perfectly healthy cat. :eek::uhno:

I am failing to see why this is such a big foe? ;)

I am terrified to anesthetize a horse...way too much crap that can go wrong because they are umm.. horses...

Cause cats be cray cray. Seriously, if I never had to touch a cat in a clinic again, I'd be a happy woman. I don't like hitting their teeny little veins (I don't like doing IV catheters at the best of times on big dogs, let alone on cats), I don't like dealing with their teeny little tracheas and their laryngospasms. And they're nuts and seem to be made of rubber and there's no way to restrain the buggers.

Cause cats be cray cray. Seriously, if I never had to touch a cat in a clinic again, I'd be a happy woman.

I am this way about horses and farm animals. Especially sheep. After spending two weeks on a farm in Scotland "lambing" sheep... if I never see a sheep again, I will be happy.

(Side note: Maybe I should be more worried about cats since my own cat bit me this weekend... :lame:)

Cause cats be cray cray. Seriously, if I never had to touch a cat in a clinic again, I'd be a happy woman. I don't like hitting their teeny little veins (I don't like doing IV catheters at the best of times on big dogs, let alone on cats), I don't like dealing with their teeny little tracheas and their laryngospasms. And they're nuts and seem to be made of rubber and there's no way to restrain the buggers.
awww....that gives me a sad. I love anesthetizing cats. and laryngospasm just takes experience.

Well, the cat and I survived our encounter with each other. Gods bless dexmedetomidine, is all I can say. Two weeks of anesthesia down, one to go! Then on to exotics and lab animal med! :love:

And I officially applied to graduate. (Which basically amounts to telling the administration how you want your name to appear on your degree.)

Ortho is done. On neuro now. The neurologist, residents, and tech are wonderful. I'm not on call today, and have no obligations after 4 pm, so I'm taking full advantage of that. Not tailgating this weekend, since none of my friends seem interested in going, but at least they agreed to have pizza and beer tonight.

Reactions: 1 users
Well, the cat and I survived our encounter with each other.

Hehehe. Cats. I had to go do a neuro eval on a cat a few days ago. Just cracked me up ... trying to ut the cat through its neuro exam paces and it's just like "I could do all these things, yanno, but I'm a cat. So I'm just going to hang here limply and fail every test even though my neuro circuits are perfectly fine."

Reactions: 6 users
Hehehe. Cats. I had to go do a neuro eval on a cat a few days ago. Just cracked me up ... trying to ut the cat through its neuro exam paces and it's just like "I could do all these things, yanno, but I'm a cat. So I'm just going to hang here limply and fail every test even though my neuro circuits are perfectly fine."

One of our medicine professors warned us about interpreting neuro exams on very well behaved dogs. Like, "I dunno why you want me to stand on my carpus with my foot bent under but I love you, so I'll do it."

Real life is scary. As much as I don't want to do an internship or residency, I can't help but be a little jealous of my classmates who get to live in fantasyland for another few years.