Class of 2015... How ya doing?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
this thread has LIS. It will never stand respectably. :p

Maybe it could sit in its wheelchair or lean on its cane respectably? ;)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
So now that you all passed (and congrats!!!!), the c/o 2016 wants to know...Zuku or Vetprep?!?!?! (And does it even matter?)

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Does not matter but what does matter is now I can unsubscribe from the daily questions! Lol

Reactions: 4 users
You're all killing me. I need to know.... A classmate apparently called the CVMA and they told him Feb 2. I'm hoping whoever he was talking to was an idiot and didn't know what they were talking about, because I'm not sure I'll make it through the weekend, let alone another 8 days.

You're all killing me. I need to know.... A classmate apparently called the CVMA and they told him Feb 2. I'm hoping whoever he was talking to was an idiot and didn't know what they were talking about, because I'm not sure I'll make it through the weekend, let alone another 8 days.

Why would you guys be so much later???

Ahh I hope that's just for snail mail results, not email. Last year they received word by email before they got the official results in the mail.

Why would you guys be so much later???
I dunno. It comes by dogsled? Punishment for beating the USA at the World Juniors? It got held up at the border because Canada customs went to Tim's?

@SocialStigma, I very much hope that's true. It seems weird that results would be so much later than last years (Jan 24).

What's that? Oh yeah .... the sound of my very full Zuku review daily question email folder being deleted.

Boards in the rear view mirror. Phew!

Reactions: 9 users
Members don't see this ad :)
2nd spay tomorrow...last time i did a spay was 1.5 years ago :scared: yikes!

Good luck! You will be great!

A classmate of mine called the state board. They said they were stuffing letters yesterday, and results should be mailed out within a few days. Not saying anything catty, but I'm sure you all can appreciate our frustration.

Good luck! You will be great!

A classmate of mine called the state board. They said they were stuffing letters yesterday, and results should be mailed out within a few days. Not saying anything catty, but I'm sure you all can appreciate our frustration.
That is ridiculous. I'm sorry they are taking so long. I'd be freaking out!

I've got a classmate still waiting to hear from her state board. She's decidedly unimpressed with all of us.

Jmo, I feel your pain! I'm on a rotation with spays and neuters right now and I'm sure I'll be freaking out about doing my first surgery since first semester of third year. Luckily all the rotation clinicians are super laid back and encouraging, so hopefully it'll be okay!

I've got a classmate still waiting to hear from her state board. She's decidedly unimpressed with all of us.

Jmo, I feel your pain! I'm on a rotation with spays and neuters right now and I'm sure I'll be freaking out about doing my first surgery since first semester of third year. Luckily all the rotation clinicians are super laid back and encouraging, so hopefully it'll be okay!
this was really laid back and encouraging, but i was forced to use a 2cm incision, which was very uncomfortable, particularly considering that i can list so many reasons why i shouldnt do that.

NAVLE passed. Now on to Radiology. Does radiology suck at every school? Ours is basically taking a semester course, cramming it into 2 weeks, and dumping an additional 200 cases on top of it. We have a 60Q Review Exam, 4 Refresher Quizzes, 3 Anatomy Refresher Quizzes, a Mini-Final, a Final, 5 clinical competencies of taking rads and discussing them with a resident, 6 rad reports that are discussed with a senior clinician, 5 cases per day that are discussed in rounds, a group project, and then the 200 cases that are supposed to help with the final. I think I did less work in 4 weeks of SA internal med.

NAVLE passed. Now on to Radiology. Does radiology suck at every school? Ours is basically taking a semester course, cramming it into 2 weeks, and dumping an additional 200 cases on top of it. We have a 60Q Review Exam, 4 Refresher Quizzes, 3 Anatomy Refresher Quizzes, a Mini-Final, a Final, 5 clinical competencies of taking rads and discussing them with a resident, 6 rad reports that are discussed with a senior clinician, 5 cases per day that are discussed in rounds, a group project, and then the 200 cases that are supposed to help with the final. I think I did less work in 4 weeks of SA internal med.
you're late to the party, i already complained about how much work NCSU radiology is 2 weeks ago ;)

and yes - radiology is a lot of work at a bunch of other schools (UTK even goes above and beyond scaring island students by sending them radiology review material BEFORE they even start clinics!)

Well, word on the street from several reputable sources is all of us who applied through MO passed. Just waiting for that official letter before I breathe my official sigh of relief :p

Radiology here...not as bad as that, Armymutt. We have 1-2 hours of rounds in the mornings. Our clinical competencies are a joke. We rotate days of taking care of 2 of our blood donor dogs and being on call (we come in if ICU is swamped and can't take their own rads). One of us is on dictation each day, going through the day's cases with the resident who's on for that day. Otherwise, we take rads. We have a physics test and a test on diagnostic radiology (both are short) due the last day of the rotation.

this was really laid back and encouraging, but i was forced to use a 2cm incision, which was very uncomfortable, particularly considering that i can list so many reasons why i shouldnt do that.

I don't get it - what's wrong with a 2cm incision? Totally depends on the size of the animal.

you're late to the party, i already complained about how much work NCSU radiology is 2 weeks ago ;)

and yes - radiology is a lot of work at a bunch of other schools (UTK even goes above and beyond scaring island students by sending them radiology review material BEFORE they even start clinics!)
Utk is known for radiology though. The semester long course 3rd year is intense. But the actual rotation wasn't bad. We had a quiz every week and a test at the end.

After months of "regular animal" rotations and one week of lab animal/exotics all up at school, I'm finally enjoying my first full lab animal rotation :D Feel bad for all of my classmates up in the Great White North right about now, but very glad that isn't me anymore.

Finally got the official letter that I passed the NAVLE! My brother also signed and got his keys for his first house today so it's an exciting day for the whole family.

Otherwise, I have been knitting, crocheting, cleaning, reading, and watching Friends for the past two days. It's been nice but I hope to do more eventful things for the rest of my free time of this off block.

Reactions: 5 users
Feel bad for all of my classmates up in the Great White North right about now, but very glad that isn't me anymore.

Well as long as you feel bad for us....

Called one clinic today to see where they're at with hiring, they said nothing's final, so I haven't been offered an interview, but at least they haven't said no yet. I have an interview with another clinic next weekend. Though I'm not sure any clinic would want me, because from the way this current rotation is going, I seem to have the uncanny ability to make clients cancel appointments just by being assigned to them...

Now if only this damn paper would write itself.

Last edited:

Called one clinic today to see where they're at with hiring, they said nothing's final, so I haven't been offered an interview, but at least they haven't said no yet. I have an interview with another clinic next weekend. Though I'm not sure any clinic would want me, because from the way this current rotation is going, I seem to have the uncanny ability to make clients cancel appointments just by being assigned to them...

It is obvious what is really happening here. You are so awesome that you are curing the patients with your mind before they ever get there. So the clients no longer have to come in because your brain waves already cured their pet. Now, you just have to think of a way to charge for that.....

Reactions: 6 users
It is obvious what is really happening here. You are so awesome that you are curing the patients with your mind before they ever get there. So the clients no longer have to come in because your brain waves already cured their pet. Now, you just have to think of a way to charge for that.....

This reply kind of made my day, DVMD.

I'm hiring. But I can't afford to pay you much. free labor ftw!

I was on rotation with someone like you. She had appointments canceling all rotation. Finally toward the end we had a day with three students and three appointments each*. All three of her appts canceled. So each of us gave her one so it was 2-2-2. And then those two canceled. It was freaky.

*For the pre-vetties out there saying "3 appts? That's it? My vet does 10 appointments before 9am!" it's way, way different in a teaching hospital. Three diagnostic appts will be a minimum of an hour each and easily more depending on what testing gets done. And then there's 20-60 minutes of paperwork for each one putting in your history, exam, and discharge. And then there's a few hours of rounds every day. And then there's in-patient care - writing up tx, doing tx, calling owners, etc. There are many days where 3 appts is a very long day. At least, up here where I'm at.

Reactions: 2 users
I was on rotation with someone like you. She had appointments canceling all rotation. Finally toward the end we had a day with three students and three appointments each*. All three of her appts canceled. So each of us gave her one so it was 2-2-2. And then those two canceled. It was freaky.

*For the pre-vetties out there saying "3 appts? That's it? My vet does 10 appointments before 9am!" it's way, way different in a teaching hospital. Three diagnostic appts will be a minimum of an hour each and easily more depending on what testing gets done. And then there's 20-60 minutes of paperwork for each one putting in your history, exam, and discharge. And then there's a few hours of rounds every day. And then there's in-patient care - writing up tx, doing tx, calling owners, etc. There are many days where 3 appts is a very long day. At least, up here where I'm at.
That sounds about right. And especially since teaching hospitals have the various services and specialties, those cases get more in-depth work-ups than GP. Plus the cases get discussions with the residents and paperwork filing has to be signed-off by your residents/mentor before any test or patient goes out the door.

she should avoid signing a contract that pays her based on production ;)

and yes, to those not in academia, you cannot even begin to imagine how sloooow and drawn out things can be. i cringe when i have 2 not strategically scheduled appointments (i.e. within 30 mins of each other or one at the "end" of the day)

Most of the time on medicine we had two appointments per day, maybe three, and rechecks were thrown in there quite a bit too. Dealing with the in house guys can take up a lot of time.

Knowing @Coquette22 , this is a real possibility.

I had a 9:00 appt on cardiology. At 9:30, they still weren't in. Started looking through our client communications log. Can't confirm it, but I think they euthanized the dog 2 days before the appointment.

I had a 9:00 appt on cardiology. At 9:30, they still weren't in. Started looking through our client communications log. Can't confirm it, but I think they euthanized the dog 2 days before the appointment.
good thing you didnt call to see if they were coming.
those are disturbing calls to receive.

ps - good to see you posting here again.

I'm sure that would go over well. "It's the vet school calling to see if you were coming in. Oh, you did? Did you consider calling to cancel your appointment?"

I cannot imagine a day where I will be proficient and efficient at veterinary medicine. Not providing the best care or even appropriate care because of ignorance and stupidity is a real threat. Everyday is so discouraging.

I cannot imagine a day where I will be proficient and efficient at veterinary medicine. Not providing the best care or even appropriate care because of ignorance and stupidity is a real threat. Everyday is so discouraging.
so there are these levels of learning. First you are incompetent completely. Then as you learn you become a competent incompetent. The more you learn, the more you realize there is to learn. It will get better. And you will be fine. First of all, you are still in school. Real life and academia are very different worlds.

Amen. And it doesn't help that apparently 20% of clinicians or thereabouts appear to have a life mission of reminding you of your (in)competence.

Amen. And it doesn't help that apparently 20% of clinicians or thereabouts appear to have a life mission of reminding you of your (in)competence.
yeah, but 80% don't. Isn't that excellent?

besides, LIS, I only give you a hard time because I know you can take it :p

On a serious note - you guys know more than you think you do. And the first 1-2 years in practice make a HUGE difference.

yeah, but 80% don't. Isn't that excellent?

besides, LIS, I only give you a hard time because I know you can take it :p

On a serious note - you guys know more than you think you do. And the first 1-2 years in practice make a HUGE difference.

Yeah, I know we do. I think what really just gets me ticked off at myself is forgetting things that I know. And that I know I know. But at the moment I need it, my mind just goes "derrrrrrrrrrrr".

You know how often you hear "Don't forget, this is a lifelong learning process!" and all that? I just kinda want to take a few months off of that process. Not permanently. But damn does my brain need a rest.

I'm sorry jmo :( I think (well, I know) dyachei is spot on about learning and gaining competence. Hope you get some kind of positive reinforcement soon. Hang in there.

I think what really just gets me ticked off at myself is forgetting things that I know. And that I know I know. But at the moment I need it, my mind just goes "derrrrrrrrrrrr".

I've had more than my liking of those moments on this current rotation. I think my biggest problem was being off clinics completely for essentially two months. Remarkable what kind of crap you forget in that time...

I'm on an off block... get back to vet things a week from tomorrow. So far in my free time, I've watched all of Friends, started a couple new shows, and made a few things for a couple of friends who found out recently they are having a baby.

Monday will be an exciting day, and then next Saturday I get to go play with cows!