Class of 2015... How ya doing?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm on an off block... get back to vet things a week from tomorrow. So far in my free time, I've watched all of Friends, started a couple new shows, and made a few things for a couple of friends who found out recently they are having a baby.

Monday will be an exciting day, and then next Saturday I get to go play with cows!

Cows! :D

Fingers crossed for all of us waiting to hear Monday. I got the notification email from VIRMP reminding me that Monday 8am was when we'd be notified...as though I could forget :scared:

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 5 users
Cows! :D

Fingers crossed for all of us waiting to hear Monday. I got the notification email from VIRMP reminding me that Monday 8am was when we'd be notified...as though I could forget :scared:
ughhhhhhhh i know. i want to crawl in a hole monday morning to find out, not start equine medicine...what if i need to work out a back up plan?? then what? curse the horses

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Oh Monday....crawling here WAY TOO SLOWLY. I am completely off this weekend - no patient care or school responsibilities. Just spending my days unpacking my new house which leaves way too much time to brood over this whole match ordeal, of course. ;) Alas, as always, time will tell. :-D

I only ranked one practice so it is either fabulous news or back to the drawing board :p

Good luck everyone! Hope everyone matches and is happy with the result :)

Good luck with the match!!! (Can't believe I will be in your shoes next year)

I've been reminded of my divorce a lot this past week. Today, I just cried off and on about it. I need patients. They keep me from doing this. Combine that with match results in the am and I don't think I'll be sleeping much tonight.

Good luck you guys!! Can't wait to see lots of great news tomorrow!!

I'm finally just about done with equine med - well, as soon as this shift ends at midnight. I really didn't mind it - the clinicians are great, and horses aren't so bad after all. But I severely dislike having to handle critical patients because I'm just not comfortable with it.

I'm not too happy about impeding food animal or eq surgery... I'm just not. Hopefully they are okay.

But those are my only two 'real' rotations left. If I've made it this far.... I just find my patience is waning.

Anyway. Good luck on the match stuff tomorrow! At least the waiting is almost over. Crossing my fingers hard for amazing results for y'all, and a gentle reminder that **** tends to work out no matter what.

Reactions: 1 users
I matched! I'm pretty happy with the result but when they say you can match anywhere you rank they aren't kidding. I was placed with my #18 program out of 20 I ranked.

Reactions: 11 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Well I finally got to sleep last night and then I had a dream that I was matched at a place I decided not to rank, and I had to find the email with the rank list to prove it, but I had deleted it so I was forced to do my internship there.

Thankfully, I woke up and was actually matched to my #1 - food animal medicine and surgery at my favorite place :) Of course, the second pick (large animal rotating internship) wouldn't have been bad, but the closer it got to today, the more I believed lameness exams would be the death of me.

Reactions: 13 users
Congratulations to you both! Unfortunately being a foreign applicant didn't help and I didn't match this time.. :(

Matched to blue pearl in Tampa #1 choice!
Congratulations! I'm hoping to spend some time hanging out there over Spring Break because they're currently one of my top (if not THE top) choices for when I graduate!

Didn't match. I've sent out emails to open programs (plus one unadvertised one). I also have two very tentative job leads at my current externship. I am also considering small animal practice. My husband would be happy to stay where we are and keep his awesome job, which puts weight in the just get a job category. Ah well. It can never be easy.

Sorry to hear that, TRH, but I'm glad to hear you are being proactive about it! Fingers crossed :)

Didn't match. I've sent out emails to open programs (plus one unadvertised one). I also have two very tentative job leads at my current externship. I am also considering small animal practice. My husband would be happy to stay where we are and keep his awesome job, which puts weight in the just get a job category. Ah well. It can never be easy.
I'm sorry :( I hope something works out for you!

So sorry TRH. Wishing you lots of luck in the next few weeks.

I'm sorry, TRH! From what little I know of you - you seem like someone who would be an absolute asset to a program.

As for me- #matched! First and only choice. So happy!

Reactions: 6 users
Matched! Congratulations to everyone! Here's to great starts for this new chapter!

Reactions: 2 users

I still owe you a beer. If you end up staying local, I'll make it two. bright side?

Congrats to everyone who matched and good luck to people who are going through the scramble! I was lucky enough to match with my #1 choice :).

I did my first dental extraction today - a particularly tough maxillary P4. I hate dentistry, but it was oddly satisfying when it finally came free.

Decision made: I'm applying for jobs. Would be nice to stay local with my husband's awesome job (if he stays, he's essentially guaranteed a promotion that brings not only more money but more responsibilities and career development which he so deserves.) So I've submitted applications to a handful of local practices and had a preliminary meeting with a lab at my current externship looking for a vet. I'm actually okay with the thought of general practice, at least right now. Which is crazy and something I never thought I'd say and may regret later on, but I'm at the stage of just riding whatever waves come my way. I suppose I should scrounge up a few GP-oriented references now...

Decision made: I'm applying for jobs. Would be nice to stay local with my husband's awesome job (if he stays, he's essentially guaranteed a promotion that brings not only more money but more responsibilities and career development which he so deserves.) So I've submitted applications to a handful of local practices and had a preliminary meeting with a lab at my current externship looking for a vet. I'm actually okay with the thought of general practice, at least right now. Which is crazy and something I never thought I'd say and may regret later on, but I'm at the stage of just riding whatever waves come my way. I suppose I should scrounge up a few GP-oriented references now...
PM me if you need any help with anything.

I recommend the Cote book, Ettingers, 5 minute consult. For exotics Quesenberry and Carpenter's formulary. I keep a copy of Plumbs, too.

Pick your favorite surgery book - mine are the Tobias ones because they have good photos.

that's just my starting place.

PM me if you need any help with anything.

I recommend the Cote book, Ettingers, 5 minute consult. For exotics Quesenberry and Carpenter's formulary. I keep a copy of Plumbs, too.

Pick your favorite surgery book - mine are the Tobias ones because they have good photos.

that's just my starting place.

You read my mind...I was literally just putting together a list of texts I'd want. And thanks, I will almost certainly have a nice long PM headed your way sometime soon ;)

I like Nelson, but for some reason I like the 4th edition better than the 5th. It's laid out differently.

Ettinger is good but so specific.

If you want to see what some books are like, send me a PM...

I like Nelson, but for some reason I like the 4th edition better than the 5th. It's laid out differently.

Ettinger is good but so specific.

If you want to see what some books are like, send me a PM...
exact reason why I also have Cote. Ettinger I have for when I need to delve into something deeply.

So possibly stupid question for you guys, but do you guys think it's feasible to share study material between VetPrep and Zuku Review?? Someone I know suggested it as a possible option -- I'd pay for one of the prep courses and a friend would pay for the other and we'd share the study material (most likely not the timed tests since it sounds like you can only take those a few times). Unfortunately my friend went ahead and got Zuku already since they had the promotion without us really discussing who would get what, which kind of bums me out since I'm a more visual learner and Zuku has all the flashcards, images and board game things. Just trying to figure out if I should get VetPrep so we can share, or get Zuku since my gut is telling me it might help me more.

I did a quick search and didn't really find too much on the whole sharing of accounts. Part of me thinks it might work, but then I also don't know how much it would mess things up either.

A married couple in my class shared. One did the exam mode of Zuku and the study questions mode of VetPrep. The other did Zuku study mode and VetPrep exam mode. They both passed as far as I know. If it were me though, I'd get what I wanted and not worry about sharing. NAVLE prep is stressful enough without worrying about another person.

Someone on here recommended putting all your efforts into 1 program, and I think that's excellent advice. I focused efforts on getting as much of vet prep done as possible and that worked for me. I suppose it probably depends on what your clinics schedule looks like, but I suspect you'll grossly over estimate the amount of time you think you'll put into studying, I know I did! You end up tired or with paperwork to do or presentations or research, etc and it just doesn't happen

Either program will do a fine job of preparing you. And buying now is a waste of money if it costs more than 3 months straight up would, because good lord - studying from Feb to Nov? No way.

Agree with jmo and tt. You'll study less than you think you will (probably), and you should probably save your $$ and stick with one program.

I did do zuku questions (the free daily email) throughout vet school, and I saved them in a folder to go back to occasionally. But I did vetprep for navle and did perhaps 100 questions prior to the three months before the test. Ended up doing most of my studying the 2.5 months before NAVLE.

I'm a dummy, and I passed ok.

Last edited: