Class of 2015... How ya doing?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just so y'all don't think I'm always a whiny and miserable person, yesterday was a relatively decent day on medicine. I am now relatively caught up on paperwork and we didn't get any transfers overnight!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Does anyone else not have a job yet? I had two really good interviews (the third place just wasn't going to be a good fit for me and they picked someone else) but I won't hear anything until like, mid-April as they interview a few other people. Do I submit more applications or just wait until I hear back and feel even more panicky as graduation is only a few weeks after that? Ugh :(

Does anyone else not have a job yet? I had two really good interviews (the third place just wasn't going to be a good fit for me and they picked someone else) but I won't hear anything until like, mid-April as they interview a few other people. Do I submit more applications or just wait until I hear back and feel even more panicky as graduation is only a few weeks after that? Ugh :(
It doesn't hurt to submit more applications! If anything it will give you more leverage and who knows, you might find a much better fit. Until you've signed the dotted line, you shouldn't limit yourself.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
It doesn't hurt to submit more applications! If anything it will give you more leverage and who knows, you might find a much better fit. Until you've signed the dotted line, you shouldn't limit yourself.

Thanks MB, I'm going through and picking another couple of places to submit to. I really liked both the two places I had a good interview at so fingers crossed :\

I didn't interview at my current job until late June. Got the offer July 4th and started end of the month. Wait for the right fit, take a deep breath. Submit more applications. Even if they aren't advertising or want experience, take a resume by. It will all work out!

Reactions: 2 users
Good luck, TRH!

I have been doing a preceptorship at a clinic about 30 minutes north of Columbia. The people here are excellent mentors. The owner of the practice is the most laid back person ever and is happy to help under any circumstance, but is comfortable being hands-off if I am confident in what I'm doing. The other doctor is fricking hysterical and I love her to pieces. I have gotten to do several mass removals here. I'm definitely reminded of why I got into this in the first place :)

I didn't interview at my current job until late June. Got the offer July 4th and started end of the month. Wait for the right fit, take a deep breath. Submit more applications. Even if they aren't advertising or want experience, take a resume by. It will all work out!

That makes me feel better, thanks :)

After coping through 17feet of snow, I am finally getting a break. Tomorrow I'm heading to Louisiana for three weeks, and on my first full day there, it's forecasted to be 80F.

I finished one externship, went to a country bar for the first time and was taught how to two step by someone who is a far better dancer than I, and am now back in my undergrad town to do my last externship this week. What a weekend!

Reactions: 1 users
I'm currently procrastinating on the last presentation homework assignment thing I ever have to do, because, well... some things just never change.

Then I'll have my last exam ever in a couple of weeks...

Man, I can't wait to finish this rotation and then enjoy my final elective before I graduate. It's gonna be surreal.

Members don't see this ad :)
survived my 2 weeks of medicine relatively unscathed - much lighter load this time around (with the exception of the first few days). had a terrible case last friday, but thankfully the clients came to their senses and euthanized (this was one of those rare cases where anything but euthanasia would have been incredibly inhumane and cruel)

currently on food animal medicine for island kids (basically we just get to play with animals all day no pressure). i reallllly wish i wasnt so allergic to spring, i'm so itchy and sneezy!!

currently on food animal medicine for island kids (basically we just get to play with animals all day no pressure). i reallllly wish i wasnt so allergic to spring, i'm so itchy and sneezy!!

Wait, so like, baby goats without having to look stupid every day? That's like my dream rotation. No fair.

I have three more days of legitimate core rotation left. Three.

Wait, so like, baby goats without having to look stupid every day? That's like my dream rotation. No fair.

Specially since equine is a bit intense here and there. I might have to come for a visit before all is said and done for you! :)

its a special rotation only for island kids here, and we essentially just do all the lab stuff the NCSU kids do during years 1-3. yesterday we had lectures and injected cows with hormones, today we went to turkey farms and drew blood and looked at turkeys. tomorrow we are playing with pigs on the school farm. next week is ruminant week! we also dont start until 9am tomorrow :D

Can't believe my rotation here is half over. Just another week and a half left. :( While I'm obviously stoked to finish the year and graduate, I'll be bummed to leave.

Only 2 days of exams stand between me and the official end of 4th year. Next up: prom and grad trip!

why cant every rotation be like this?? i LOVE playing with animals all day. no paperwork. no getting up early or staying late. no money. no angry or sad clients. just happy animals!

I finished my equine rotation! Barring an emergency surgery, I'm done with that part of the hospital and with patient care, appointments, and standing around in the OR. And cleaning. This makes me happy.

Officially finished vet school!!! Can't believe this day is finally here

Good luck on the rest of your rotations, fellow class of 2015'ers!

Last edited:
Reactions: 12 users
Officially finished vet school!!! Can't believe this day is finally here

Good luck on the rest of your rotations, fellow class of 2015'ers!
Exciting!!!! 37 days for us!!

Our last day of clinics is 2 weeks from today!! I'm currently on ophtho, which has a reputation for being incredibly laid-back. Their technician is out through the next month so they have been half-booking our schedule, and we have more students than normal so it has been on the slow side. The fact that the residents jump ahead and write discharges while you aren't looking makes it difficult to maintain a non-senioritis attitude toward the rotation.

In other news, one of my mentors (from when the divorce was proving especially difficult and I was trying to decide what to do with my life) told me congrats and that she was looking forward to working with me in my internship. She's one of our theriogenologists, and I plan on rotating through their service as an intern, which will be... intense. I'm excited nonetheless.

Edit: And of course on day 1 of ophtho, I come home and find that my dog has conjunctivitis and epiphora OS. lololol. She is really good for providing learning opportunities. First the chocolate ingestion, then the ear infection, and now this... all within the last 5 months.

Our last day of clinics is 2 weeks from today!! I'm currently on ophtho, which has a reputation for being incredibly laid-back. Their technician is out through the next month so they have been half-booking our schedule, and we have more students than normal so it has been on the slow side. The fact that the residents jump ahead and write discharges while you aren't looking makes it difficult to maintain a non-senioritis attitude toward the rotation.

In other news, one of my mentors (from when the divorce was proving especially difficult and I was trying to decide what to do with my life) told me congrats and that she was looking forward to working with me in my internship. She's one of our theriogenologists, and I plan on rotating through their service as an intern, which will be... intense. I'm excited nonetheless.

Edit: And of course on day 1 of ophtho, I come home and find that my dog has conjunctivitis and epiphora OS. lololol. She is really good for providing learning opportunities. First the chocolate ingestion, then the ear infection, and now this... all within the last 5 months.
she heard you needed more appointments to see ;)

I'm on ophtho now. Supposed to be a really non-time-consuming rotation but we've had 2 emergencies in 3 days and I feel bad leaving the on call students to take care of them alone since they technically come in before 5 (both were actually in by 4). So I've been staying until 7 pm-ish. My first patient had a bilateral phaco on Tuesday, so I was in at 6:30 am to start drops. Another classmate didn't secure help before the other students left yesterday so I got suckered into helping do eye drops this morning for another phaco.

Oh well. I guess I can't be accused of having senioritis. Except I have it majorly. It's just not shining through because of the above, plus the clinician said we could make a new open house thing for the ophtho dept in lieu of taking BOTH quizzes for the rotation.

plus the clinician said we could make a new open house thing for the ophtho dept in lieu of taking BOTH quizzes for the rotation.

Dude that's freakin awesome !!! Can't wait for open house to be overrrr!!!!!

Half of me wants to congratulate you guys, half of me wants to swear at you for those of us who still have 3 weeks. :)

Sigh. Fine.

Congratulations! :)
If it makes you feel any better, I have a very long stupid day of travelling tomorrow - about 20 hours from the time I leave my accomodations to when I actually get back to my parents' house. And that's assuming everything goes right.

I'm done with vet school! Vacation rotation begins on Monday, and I don't have any patients to take care of this weekend! Woo hoo!

Reactions: 6 users
Our project for open house turned out amazing! We bought 10 pairs of glasses and used puffy paint/some acrylic paint/wax paper/sharpie to decorate them to resemble certain diseases/show you the altered field of view as a result of the condition. We ended up doing an early, late, and end-stage glaucoma, cataracts before and after surgery, KCS, feline herpesvirus, conjunctival graft, prolapsed nictitans, and retinal detachment.

Our project for open house turned out amazing! We bought 10 pairs of glasses and used puffy paint/some acrylic paint/wax paper/sharpie to decorate them to resemble certain diseases/show you the altered field of view as a result of the condition. We ended up doing an early, late, and end-stage glaucoma, cataracts before and after surgery, KCS, feline herpesvirus, conjunctival graft, prolapsed nictitans, and retinal detachment.
thats such an amazing and clever idea!!

Those glasses were fantastic!! Everyone in my tour kept putting them on, they absolutely loved it! :D