Class of 2015... How ya doing?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Those glasses were fantastic!! Everyone in my tour kept putting them on, they absolutely loved it! :D

I'm glad they enjoyed them!

Members don't see this ad.

Our project for open house turned out amazing! We bought 10 pairs of glasses and used puffy paint/some acrylic paint/wax paper/sharpie to decorate them to resemble certain diseases/show you the altered field of view as a result of the condition. We ended up doing an early, late, and end-stage glaucoma, cataracts before and after surgery, KCS, feline herpesvirus, conjunctival graft, prolapsed nictitans, and retinal detachment.

Those glasses were fantastic!! Everyone in my tour kept putting them on, they absolutely loved it! :D

Agreed! The glasses were super cool! I cant wait to hear the results of the "Best SA demonstration" voting - there were so many great ones to chose from!

9 days of clinics left.

I have decided that I am trying to get 3 or more surgical patients while on ophtho. I am most likely receiving my 2nd one today because by the time the appointment sign-up got to me, the only 2 that were left were surgery cases. Instead of being mad that 2 of my rotationmates are case-dodging bums, I'm going to do them a solid and take as much of the work as possible, leaving them with a boring ass ophtho rotation and me with the surgery cases that I love to manage because it gives me an excuse to hang out in the ICU and see lots of people I love and miss.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Question for UCVM, WCVM, OVC students: do you remember when you got your rotation schedules last year? Was it before or after mid-February?

So I went to the bank today to get my application for licensure notarized. Made small talk with the guy and turns out he's brought his dog to the clinic I'll be joining. It really hit home for me, not because I'm actually going to be a doctor, but because there are people everywhere (even where I live, which is not at all a small town) who will know you, your place of business and your profession. I think I'm pretty good at being professional - not like I showed up with my boobs hanging out or with my belly button showing or with a can of beer in my hand, and not that wearing casual clothes or whatever is a sin - but it made me realize that even when you're "off" you aren't ever really out of the public's eye. Food for thought.

Reactions: 1 user
Meh, deleted. Pity party over.

Last edited:
Although I am enjoying equine soft tissue surgery, it's also kind of a rotation from he'll since we are busy and I am the only student. If only there was no on call, it would probably be manageable. Blah. 1.5more weeks...

Although I am enjoying equine soft tissue surgery, it's also kind of a rotation from he'll since we are busy and I am the only student. If only there was no on call, it would probably be manageable. Blah. 1.5more weeks...

What? Seriously? Eww.

2 days of clinics left. Two more patients to see. 1 more day as primary call.

What? Seriously? Eww.

2 days of clinics left. Two more patients to see. 1 more day as primary call.
I love doing the work of 3 students ;)

I've spent 25 of the last 30 hours at the equine hospital, and I'm still 4 soaps behind. Zzzzz time now thought, my brain is mush from 4 hours sleep and running around like crazy

Question for UCVM, WCVM, OVC students: do you remember when you got your rotation schedules last year? Was it before or after mid-February?

Way after mid-February..more like late April. However at OVC we are only allowed to do up to 5 weeks of rotations the summer between 3rd and 4th year (and the earliest you can start is May 12th), and you find out if you got any summer rotations at OVC in March. The rest of your rotation schedule for September to the following April isn't finalized until April.

Members don't see this ad :)
Last day on clinics!! We have 2 ophtho surgeries going at the same time today. I'm not sure how much I'll see, but watching them do a standing enucleation on a horse.

My classmates are headed to the bar tonight. We have a bonfire planned tomorrow. Then the official superlative slideshow and more festivities are on Friday. Making the most of what little time we have left together :(

Woooooo @twelvetigers !!! Last day evar. I send you my congratulations and excitement that you have conquered the vet school beast and can now return to society.

Well done Class of 2015! May you all be successful and have more good days than bad.

tumblr_m1ixnylbPP1qmb7u4o2_500.gif

Reactions: 2 users
Awwwwww yeah. I'm done.

I had a crazy day today. We finally figured out what's up with the cat. I mean, it's not great news - he has a tracheal mass that is most likely a sarcoma of some sort. Maybe we will pursue a surgical resection. But I'm just glad to know, finally, what is going on.

And I got a parking ticket even though I was a client today. So I had to physically take my receipt to them to get it removed.

AND. Our offer was accepted on a house today. So! Busy busy.

Reactions: 8 users
Awwwwww yeah. I'm done.

I had a crazy day today. We finally figured out what's up with the cat. I mean, it's not great news - he has a tracheal mass that is most likely a sarcoma of some sort. Maybe we will pursue a surgical resection. But I'm just glad to know, finally, what is going on.

And I got a parking ticket even though I was a client today. So I had to physically take my receipt to them to get it removed.

I want to like parts of this and dislike other parts. Congrats on the house and being done!!!!

Sorry to hear about the kitty. :(

Awwwwww yeah. I'm done.

Gratz Dr. TT!

Awwwwww yeah. I'm done.

Yay for the house and being done, boo about the mass and parking ticket.

That's definitely not news you wanted to hear, TT, but it is a relief to finally have some sort of answer for sure. And congrats on the house :) Sure is exciting!!

We had our big end-of-school celebration (Pie Throw - where we drink and throw whipped cream at each other) on Friday. I took charge of putting together pictures and superlatives for all my classmates + any interns/residents/clinicians that we wanted to include. The event itself was fun but I legit asked for help from people I considered my best friends throughout vet school and got completely ignored.

So... yeah... I think if people are willing to just throw me to the side when they literally have 2 weeks left of living in the same place, meh....

So now I just have a bunch of crocheting and knitting and figuring out insurance between now and graduation.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
2 more weeks of clinics, 3 weeks until graduation, 4 weeks until I move, 5 weeks until I start my new job

Craziness

Of course I have to be a little wad of stress the week before graduation.

We found a house we love and feel great about, but the reality of spending that much of our savings and owing that much money is sinking in. Plus other up front costs like inspectors, etc.

The kitkat is eligible for a resection surgery. I haven't spoken to a surgeon myself yet, but it sounds like they will have to take a little bit out of his sternum to do it. It's scary and he is such a happy cat at home right now that the idea of tossing him back in for a surgery is depressing, even if it could 'fix' him. Plus that's $2k not going to house things, which is absolutely worth it but does not make my stress any better.

And my mom seems to be on a lot of meds, some I didn't know about, to treat a whole host of conditions which may include something ambiguous like SLE or fibromyalgia. I don't even know what to do with that. But she scared the crap out of my dad by passing out half on and half on the couch and then being slow to rouse - he thought she was dead. I don't need dad having a heart attack either. I got a list of meds that I hope she isn't on all of - like a benzo, two SSRIs, a beta blocker, a statin, and promethazine. If she is, no wonder she passed out. Shet.

And, I need a job. And nearly no one is hiring. And the places that are hiring have some weird reason no one wants to work there. So there's that.

Happy graduation! Sigh.

Of course I have to be a little wad of stress the week before graduation.

We found a house we love and feel great about, but the reality of spending that much of our savings and owing that much money is sinking in. Plus other up front costs like inspectors, etc.

The kitkat is eligible for a resection surgery. I haven't spoken to a surgeon myself yet, but it sounds like they will have to take a little bit out of his sternum to do it. It's scary and he is such a happy cat at home right now that the idea of tossing him back in for a surgery is depressing, even if it could 'fix' him. Plus that's $2k not going to house things, which is absolutely worth it but does not make my stress any better.

And my mom seems to be on a lot of meds, some I didn't know about, to treat a whole host of conditions which may include something ambiguous like SLE or fibromyalgia. I don't even know what to do with that. But she scared the crap out of my dad by passing out half on and half on the couch and then being slow to rouse - he thought she was dead. I don't need dad having a heart attack either. I got a list of meds that I hope she isn't on all of - like a benzo, two SSRIs, a beta blocker, a statin, and promethazine. If she is, no wonder she passed out. Shet.

And, I need a job. And nearly no one is hiring. And the places that are hiring have some weird reason no one wants to work there. So there's that.

Happy graduation! Sigh.
Hell and damnation to all of that. Don't know what to say except let me know if you need an in person rant buddy that you don't have to watch what you say.

Kitty is doing well so far, seems pretty cheerful and is out of the O2 cage. Hopefully he continues to improve, and maybe considers eating some food while in the ICU... last time, he refused.

The job hunt is not so well - apparently I should have been pestering these clinics weeks ago. Damn. Guess we'll see where my phone calls get me for now.

My day:

Me: I'm gonna buy allll the chocolate for mom for mother's day!

Dog: Hey, that smells like chocolate...

Me: Don't touch this chocolate that is giftwrapped and in a plastic bag while it's well within your reach and you have a history of eating chocolate. I'm going to dinner.

Dog: Hey, that smells like chocolate...

Me: Man, dinner was gr-WTF DID YOU DO WHILE I WAS GONE? $25 IN CHOCOLATE? REALLY?

Dog: Well, it smelled like chocolate... and it tasted like chocolate... so, uh, yeah!

Me: ::string of expletives::

Dog: You don't seem happy.

Me: I'm making you vomit.

Dog: No, you're not.

Me: Yes I am, now come back here.

Dog: You can't catch me if I run through all the dining room chairs!!

Me: Let's go outside! Haha, gotcha!

Dog: This is awful.

Me: Now throw up.

Dog: No.

Me: Please?

Dog: No. .... ok yes, but I'm waiting 30 minutes to do it so you won't just leave me outside, and I'm doing it so fast you won't even be able to get me to a hard floor.

Me: Screw you.

Dog: Heheh that was kinda fun, let's do it again in 30 minutes.

Me: ::expletives::

Dog: Still fun. Doing it again, but this time I'll leave a bigger pile!

Hope dog and carpet are okay. And I feel like you should send this to the Oatmeal. It reads like his work.

Meanwhile, it's graduation day for AVC 2015! I am officially a DVM! Graduation was this morning and White Coat this afternoon!

Reactions: 11 users
Congrats coquette, TT and anyone else who's had graduation! We did it!!

(Dog and carpet are a-ok)

:)

I tried to bring the kitty home today but he was having a lot of trouble breathing while in sternal position. I'm really hoping that I overreacted, but he's back at the VTH for the next couple of days. Poor kitten.

:)

I tried to bring the kitty home today but he was having a lot of trouble breathing while in sternal position. I'm really hoping that I overreacted, but he's back at the VTH for the next couple of days. Poor kitten.
Damn it all to hell! I don't like it when the kitties are sick. Hurts me to the core. I spent so much time with my boy when he was in ICU. At one point, the head tech nurse told to the poor student to tell me visiting hours were over when he was having a hard time coming outta sedation from abdominal ultrasound...
I wanted to let her know that actually, he really needed some help with a smoother recovery, but let it slide... he is fine now, but I feel ya. Keeping my fingers crossed that things work out and the money spent equals a life saved and made better.

Graduation for us is 2 days away. It's becoming frighteningly real. I received a juror questionnaire and one of the questions asks if you are a Healthcare professional whose patients would be affected by jury duty, and then later on it has you list your occupation. So weird, and yet so awesome to write "veterinarian" on that line.

Reactions: 1 users
Mostly, I'm happy that I'm done with this chapter of my life. Yeah, I'm going to be a vet forever but the formal schooling part - the being away from my husband and my family and Chipotle - is over. I feel like I somehow dodged a bullet or that I escaped some terrible fate. A sense of gratitude that I managed to survive the ordeal. My biggest focus right now is trying to assimilate back to my life before vet school, if that's even possible. Part of me relishes the fact that no one but my family and friends know that I'm a vet. Like some kind of secret identity.

I miss my vet school friends, especially the core people (cough @Coquette22 cough) who always know how to make me laugh or get me riled up into a rant. Friends back home just don't appreciate a good gross (and I mean gross) path story.

Last edited: