Class of 2015... How ya doing?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
A client came in this morning with a stray kitten she found. She has a few other cats, including one 17 year old that I'm treating for a suspected oral fibrosarcoma. Last Monday, the tumour had blown up over the weekend and got infected, and they were seriously considering euthanising. I convinced them to let me clean it up, get the infection under control and try piroxicam as a Hail Mary because otherwise, this cat is in fantastic shape for 17. They started the piroxicam a week ago. Today she told me he's doing fantastic. Eating, playing, purring... I was thrilled.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 4 users
A client came in this morning with a stray kitten she found. She has a few other cats, including one 17 year old that I'm treating for a suspected oral fibrosarcoma. Last Monday, the tumour had blown up over the weekend and got infected, and they were seriously considering euthanising. I convinced them to let me clean it up, get the infection under control and try piroxicam as a Hail Mary because otherwise, this cat is in fantastic shape for 17. They started the piroxicam a week ago. Today she told me he's doing fantastic. Eating, playing, purring... I was thrilled.

Way to go, doc. :)

MY PIG IS PEEING FROM HIS PENIS! HALLELUJAH!!

Reactions: 12 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Yesterday I saw a budgie that had been a stray. They brought him in and paid an exam fee just to make sure he looks okay. I'm pretty sure I was just giddy-beaming the whole appointment. (Also got to trim some Amazon parrot nails and guinea pig nails so life is good.)

Reactions: 1 users
Dear clients : Your pet is fine. However if they don't stop yelling and interrupting while I'm trying to do my exam and get a history, I may need to muzzle your children.

One of my coworkers ("he", who has worked at the teaching hospital for 5 years) was talking to my current supervisor ("she", who I've worked with for 5 of the last 6 weeks) last night. She apparently told him that I was doing an excellent job and that I don't let the students waffle in their decision-making and she likes that. I am just so happy to hear positive feedback in a place where you typically only get criticized.

In other news, we removed the pig's percutaneous Foley yesterday. If all goes well today, he goes home tomorrow!!! Blocked animals suck.

Reactions: 1 user
You know what's satisfying in a little bit of an evil way?

When the owner of a seizure dog that you saw (and did nothing for but dispense a few doses of rectal diazepam) calls to complain that that's all you did, and your staff pull up the record and point out to the owner the numerous places - including the estimate you presented, your assessment, your record of your conversation, etc. - where you offered blood work, hospitalization, and therapy to break the clustering.

Satisfying when your medical record defends you well against the crazy.

Reactions: 5 users
Saved the hospital from catching fire today - someone accidentally microwaved lunch for 21 minutes instead of 2:10. caught it at the 14 minute mark with smoke billowing from the kitchen. it smelled soooooo great in the hospital for the rest of the day. :lame:

After a 12 hour horror of an emergency, I finally got home last night to eat a giant meal and go to bed. I just woke up more hungry and tired than when I went to bed. But at least I'm not on call anymore come 8 am. My supervisor and I are going out for a drink together tonight. F*** yeah.

So the horror of an emergency... 3 week old cria with 11 day history watery diarrhea. Saw it last Tues. They were doing supportive care at home and didn't want to leave cria with us and only let us run a CBC. Cria declined Sat. night. They had to tube feed it Sun. morning. So they brought it to us FINALLY. The thing was showing neurologic deficits when we finally saw it. Venous blood gas showed pH 6.88. (How I f-ing hit the jugular vein on the first goddamn try, I will never know). Rectal temp 94.2. They wanted us to do everything we could. So we (3 vets) tried for 7 hours to put an IV catheter in, even after getting almost a L of fluids into the 7 lb creature via various methods (including hypertonic saline). No luck. (We discussed other methodologies in the meantime.) Called anesthesiologist to do a cut-down and put an over-the-wire central venous catheter in. Cria died the second he was suturing the catheter in.

I need a f-ing drink just thinking about it.

Saved the hospital from catching fire today - someone accidentally microwaved lunch for 21 minutes instead of 2:10. caught it at the 14 minute mark with smoke billowing from the kitchen. it smelled soooooo great in the hospital for the rest of the day. :lame:

Someone did that with a rice sock sometime 2007 ish and did actually set the microwave on fire. It didn't burn much more than the wall behind it. But that meant everyone had to evacuate... like everyone. I mean, if they had a horse on the table, I'm guessing they didn't budge.

Members don't see this ad :)
Someone did that with a rice sock sometime 2007 ish and did actually set the microwave on fire. It didn't burn much more than the wall behind it. But that meant everyone had to evacuate... like everyone. I mean, if they had a horse on the table, I'm guessing they didn't budge.
We see tons of exotics and wildlife, it would have been disasterous if we had had a bird in the hospital. I think the microwave should probably just be replaced, that's a ton of strain and probably not worth the fire hazard.

I did something g similar in a hotel once when I was 13. Caught it just before fire, but tons of smoke and smell!

Call comes in from the answering service. Client is concerned his dog might have parvo. I call the client. It goes to voicemail, voicemail is full. I repeat this 10 times over the next 20 minutes. Finally, I call the answering service and tell them that if this person calls again, please tell him I tried to contact him repeatedly and to keep his phone line open. That was 5 hours ago. Haven't heard anything since. Argh. People...

Call comes in from the answering service. Client is concerned his dog might have parvo. I call the client. It goes to voicemail, voicemail is full. I repeat this 10 times over the next 20 minutes. Finally, I call the answering service and tell them that if this person calls again, please tell him I tried to contact him repeatedly and to keep his phone line open. That was 5 hours ago. Haven't heard anything since. Argh. People...

You try way harder than I do. Three strikes is all I give them before leaving a message with our answering service that they need to provide an alternate number if LA or go straight to e-clinic if SA

You try way harder than I do. Three strikes is all I give them before leaving a message with our answering service that they need to provide an alternate number if LA or go straight to e-clinic if SA
she's still just fresh out of school. give her a couple months ;)

I wasn't sure how hard I was expected to try. I'm assuming either the dog a) died, b) spontaneosly recovered, c) they decided to treat at home some how or d) went to one of the other clinics. Either way,
58858738.jpg

I have a quick (and possibly silly) question about state licensing. All of my graduated friends have stayed in Texas to practice, so I'm reaching out to any of you who are practicing in another state other than where you graduates. And I know I'm a few years away from needing to worry about this, but it's been bugging me hardcore!

So, do you have to travel to your desired state to sit for boards or is there a way to take them in your "home" state, so to speak? Thanks!

I have a quick (and possibly silly) question about state licensing. All of my graduated friends have stayed in Texas to practice, so I'm reaching out to any of you who are practicing in another state other than where you graduates. And I know I'm a few years away from needing to worry about this, but it's been bugging me hardcore!

So, do you have to travel to your desired state to sit for boards or is there a way to take them in your "home" state, so to speak? Thanks!
totally depends on the state. for example, FL boards could be taken at a testing center wherever it was offered in the US. my friend in VA just had to mail in a statement saying she read the manual and didnt have to take boards. for NC, you have to go to Raleigh on a certain date each month to take the test. so i guess the way to figure this out is the look up each state's board of vet med and see what they require

for GA, I mailed in a written test back to them. In FL I had to go to a testing center.

@dyachei and @jmo1012 --Thank you, both! GA is my top state I'm considering other than TX, followed by FL and TN. Good to know that I may not have to deal with trying to travel to take a test during my last year.

@dyachei and @jmo1012 --Thank you, both! GA is my top state I'm considering other than TX, followed by FL and TN. Good to know that I may not have to deal with trying to travel to take a test during my last year.
their test was easy 4-5 years ago. 10 questions I think total. T/f and MC. I got licensed there before finding out I would be working in FL.

FL is easy, but it cost me nearly $500 to get licensed here for a year as an fyi. there was a hefty fee to apply, a license fee, a fee for the test, fees to transfer navle scores, etc. so many fees!

FL is easy, but it cost me nearly $500 to get licensed here for a year as an fyi. there was a hefty fee to apply, a license fee, a fee for the test, fees to transfer navle scores, etc. so many fees!

Would almost be easier to give them first born child instead...

Ew.

Would almost be easier to give them first born child instead...
nah, this only took 2 months of pain instead of 9 ;) perhaps would have been easier to just give them my bank account # though, because i had to pay all of these fees separately at different times!

It's been a rough couple of days. Got called for re-bandaging wrong (from a lady who is literally non-compliant on every single e-clinic rec) though I only bandaged as I've been taught and yesterday my dog neuter (sent to me by Satan himself, I'm certain) wakes up completely for no reason when I start pulling. My induction meds handy in my pocket go into my IV...but because it's a MF butterfly catheter (which I HATE) it's blown. Get him knocked back down with some help and complete the neuter with iso on 5. Now I'm behind on records and just feeling kind of defeated lately. Sigh.

It's been a rough couple of days. Got called for re-bandaging wrong (from a lady who is literally non-compliant on every single e-clinic rec) though I only bandaged as I've been taught and yesterday my dog neuter (sent to me by Satan himself, I'm certain) wakes up completely for no reason when I start pulling. My induction meds handy in my pocket go into my IV...but because it's a MF butterfly catheter (which I HATE) it's blown. Get him knocked back down with some help and complete the neuter with iso on 5. Now I'm behind on records and just feeling kind of defeated lately. Sigh.
*hugs*
If misery loves company, we've been short staffed since Monday of last week and I've been run off my feet. I'm exhausted.

Sorry you had a rough day, TRH :( I hope today is better!

Lost a patient today that I'd spent the past two weekends trying to save. ******* feline panc.

Totally random, but if you are free this weekend and want to grab a drink let me know. I've had my share of cruddy days lately and we can commiserate aka whine together

I don't think this weekend will work due to prior plans and I work next weekend, but maybe the one after that? :)
Should work unless I decide to head out of town - have a long weekend off. We'll talk.
Still jealous that you guys get to see each other occasionally. The day will come when I will crash the party. :heckyeah: