Class of 2015... How ya doing?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I will separate this out so people can maybe see the proposed time... "liking" the post tells me nothing.

Please to actually use words. K? Thanks. :)
I'm down for any time.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
So, so far, I have:

Jam- yes, depending on time... (need to know if 4PM will work with her)
Lupin- yes, 4PM works
Jilary- Yes, 4PM should be fine (or earlier)
WZ- Yes, isn't sure of different time zones. :p

Reactions: 1 user
I will say maybe. I can't promise, since I have the day off and maybe the husband wants me to pay attention to him or something. Could you send the PM and I'll come if I can?

^^Same here (minus the husband bit), please?

I'm currently at communication training for the interns and residents. It's been a lot of fun but they stole a weekend during the state fair from me, so now I'm limited to Monday and Tuesday after work. Boo.

In other news, I handled my first dystocia on Friday. Unfortunately, the calf was premature and already dead but the cow went home less than an hour after walking through the door.

So, so far, I have:

Lupin- yes, 4PM works
Coquette22
Hedgie
TT
Scb

So, so far, I have:

Lupin- yes, 4PM works
Coquette22
Hedgie
TT
Scb

Me please! All the way from island land :)

So, so far, I have:

Lupin- yes, 4PM works
Coquette22
Hedgie
TT
Scb
Wooo! Are we still on for this? Just got my shopping done for snacks and some cola for my whiskey. :heckyeah:

One of the other vets at my practice (who started practising the same year I was born) asked me to do an ultrasound for him today because I'm more comfortable with it than he is. Made me feel pretty good.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Well, this week saw both my first thank you note from a client whose animal I euthanized and my first angry Yelp review from a client who went home AMA. Guess I'm a real vet now . . .

Reactions: 2 users
P.S. to the angry Yelp reviewer: when you "don't have" a regular vet, your 14 yo cat has been PU/PD for a month that you're admitting to, and she was last vaccinated "before we got her" (as a tiny kitten), then I am not the one lacking in competence and compassion. Just sayin'.

Reactions: 5 users
Today was weird. Diagnosed an LDA today. Cut her. No LDA to be found. And I was going to do this one all by myself too :(

But then my mentor asked me if I've thought about what I'm doing after my internship is over and I said I've considered applying for residency. She told me I've been doing a great job and that I am really good at teaching. Ugh the feels. I love this place and I love my job.

Reactions: 3 users
Today was weird. Diagnosed an LDA today. Cut her. No LDA to be found. And I was going to do this one all by myself too :(

But then my mentor asked me if I've thought about what I'm doing after my internship is over and I said I've considered applying for residency. She told me I've been doing a great job and that I am really good at teaching. Ugh the feels. I love this place and I love my job.

Every single DA I've diagnosed has self corrected by the time I get my surgical stuff together and start prepping. It's getting old.

Every single DA I've diagnosed has self corrected by the time I get my surgical stuff together and start prepping. It's getting old.

Based on what all we saw/felt in surgery, we think she didn't have an LDA at all today, but are suspecting lymphoma. Her omentum also had old, healed rents. Super annoying. Self-correcting LDAs repeatedly would most definitely get old.

Guys, 4 years ago we were little bitty baby vet students just starting classes and feeling full of panic! Where did all that time go?? What advice do you wish you could tell your baby self (wonder what we'll be saying in 4 years from now!)?

Guys, 4 years ago we were little bitty baby vet students just starting classes and feeling full of panic! Where did all that time go?? What advice do you wish you could tell your baby self (wonder what we'll be saying in 4 years from now!)?
aka what advice do you wish you could tell me?

I'm feeling that panic right about now...:eek::eek:

aka what advice do you wish you could tell me?

I'm feeling that panic right about now...:eek::eek:
haha well i've been getting the facebook timeshop thing every day recently, and it seems i was consumed with anatomy worries. so i would tell myself to worry less about anatomy, because 4 years later as a vet i'm still terrible at it and it generally doesnt ruin my life ;)

otherwise in general i'd say make sure to have fun and take advantage of things you will never do again once you graduate, because its easy to get caught up in the worry of school, but thats not the stuff you'll look back on with fond memories.

Reactions: 1 users
I've been working on residency applications today and narrowing down the places I'm applying to. This is more stressful than it was last year. If it doesn't work out this year, I know I'll have other options like working in GP, but doing an internship has solidified my decision for clin path and I'm going to be sad if I don't get a position.

After matching to a fairly high cost of living area for internship, location/cost of living in the area is basically my second most important criteria for residency after making sure the program fits with my career goals. I'm barely making ends meet and will likely have to ask my parents for a little help soon. I did not research cost of living compared to salary enough when making my rank list last year. But on the plus side, I'm busy enough now that I don't really notice the lack of funds because I just sleep and do household chores on my days off.

Reactions: 6 users
I've been working on residency applications today and narrowing down the places I'm applying to. This is more stressful than it was last year. If it doesn't work out this year, I know I'll have other options like working in GP, but doing an internship has solidified my decision for clin path and I'm going to be sad if I don't get a position.

After matching to a fairly high cost of living area for internship, location/cost of living in the area is basically my second most important criteria for residency after making sure the program fits with my career goals. I'm barely making ends meet and will likely have to ask my parents for a little help soon. I did not research cost of living compared to salary enough when making my rank list last year. But on the plus side, I'm busy enough now that I don't really notice the lack of funds because I just sleep and do household chores on my days off.
Come to OK! Cheap cheap cheap and some cool path people! :)

My students today told me I'm a good teacher. <3 them

Reactions: 3 users

Crap, I guess pretty soon I'll have to decide if I'm trying for a residency or not. Best of luck to those of you who are more decisive than me.

Texas A&M has a fantastic clin path program with awesome people. Living in College Station is relatively cheap too (although quite hot, flat, and "meh"- but the program and people make up for it). If you're interested, PM me and I can put you in touch with former and current CP residents. We anatomics and them were pretty close.

Come to OK! Cheap cheap cheap and some cool path people! :)

Bah humbug. This is not a clin path residency open spot year. I haz a sad. :(

Texas A&M has a fantastic clin path program with awesome people. Living in College Station is relatively cheap too (although quite hot, flat, and "meh"- but the program and people make up for it). If you're interested, PM me and I can put you in touch with former and current CP residents. We anatomics and them were pretty close.
Thanks! You and I spoke briefly when I was applying last year and I called someone you put me into contact with which was really helpful.

Lol my school isn't offering any food animal residencies this year. Feels awesome. :blackeye:

does this mean your wanting to go through the match for a res this year? :D

Because of recent relationship developments, I'm interested in sticking around Missouri for the near future. I was considering talking to my mentors about the possibility of sticking around. When I was told last week that I should do a residency and that I'm good at teaching, I was also told that I fit in well with everyone here and it sounded like they'd started considering keeping me. That is, until they decided to take an intern instead of a resident this year. So now I don't know what to do and I'm in a not so great mood.

Because of recent relationship developments, I'm interested in sticking around Missouri for the near future. I was considering talking to my mentors about the possibility of sticking around. When I was told last week that I should do a residency and that I'm good at teaching, I was also told that I fit in well with everyone here and it sounded like they'd started considering keeping me. That is, until they decided to take an intern instead of a resident this year. So now I don't know what to do and I'm in a not so great mood.

I'm liking the first half of the post...

Is there any way you could talk to them about it? I know it's mostly a funding thing but if they like you so much maybe it's worth it?

Yay for the first half!! Bummer for the second half :/ are they taking on a specialty intern or the same position you are in now?

Yay for the first half!! Bummer for the second half :/ are they taking on a specialty intern or the same position you are in now?

In theory, it would be the same as my current position, but there really can't be an intermediary position between what I do and what a resident does with the way that food animal handles its house officers. I have the same responsibilities as the residents with only a 1 year commitment and I am not enrolled in graduate classes (except I am expected to attend some of their classes anyway).

I need to do some thinking before I talk to anyone about it, but multiple people have suggested I do that so it must be a solid plan for me to follow :p

In theory, it would be the same as my current position, but there really can't be an intermediary position between what I do and what a resident does with the way that food animal handles its house officers. I have the same responsibilities as the residents with only a 1 year commitment and I am not enrolled in graduate classes (except I am expected to attend some of their classes anyway).

I need to do some thinking before I talk to anyone about it, but multiple people have suggested I do that so it must be a solid plan for me to follow :p

That is awesome! I can't wait to hear what happens!!

Would anyone be willing to read over my resume and give me any pointers? I found a job on the AVMA website that I would love, and want to call them this week and ask if they would consider taking a graduate in May. I want to have a resume ready if they say okay.

Would anyone be willing to read over my resume and give me any pointers? I found a job on the AVMA website that I would love, and want to call them this week and ask if they would consider taking a graduate in May. I want to have a resume ready if they say okay.

The earliest I can sit down and read anything is tomorrow after 9 am, so if you still need another set of eyes to read through it by then, shoot it my way.

When you have a dream that your ex husband is getting remarried, and then less than 2 weeks later, you find out he did. Wtf brain, how did you know?!