Class of 2015... How ya doing?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Finding myself more and more interested in pain management as the days go by, but it makes it more frustrating when the more old school boss is so behind the times.
Every single dental that gets done, I'm like "OOH! DOES IT NEED BLOCKS!? LEMME DO THE BLOCKS!!!" I'm getting a little obnoxious about it. Fortunately, they're perfectly willing to let me do it, so at least it gets done.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Every single dental that gets done, I'm like "OOH! DOES IT NEED BLOCKS!? LEMME DO THE BLOCKS!!!" I'm getting a little obnoxious about it. Fortunately, they're perfectly willing to let me do it, so at least it gets done.

I'm working on that myself. Took watching one PM4 extraction with the dog huffing on 5 for me to be like "Soo can we get bupivicaine?" Fortunately most of the other docs are interested in learning, so that's good :)

I'm working on that myself. Took watching one PM4 extraction with the dog huffing on 5 for me to be like "Soo can we get bupivicaine?" Fortunately most of the other docs are interested in learning, so that's good :)
I hope they were monitoring blood pressure during the no nerve block dentals...

Members don't see this ad :)
My day in a nutshell....
Rat with severe dyspnea - euthanized
Young-ish cat with severe hepatic lipidosis - euthanized
Young-ish cat with saddle thrombus - euthanized

My day in a nutshell....

Ugh sorry to hear that, Coquette :(

My body basically said, "Hey, you're sick and you're having menstrual cramps hahahahaha" and my coworkers said, "GO HOME." So I did. And I kept working anyway.

FYI, pay someone to do your Brucellosis testing paperwork on a 200+ head herd. It is well worth the money. Better yet, get students to do it for free.

Just got offered an interview for a residency! It's happening this weekend at the ACVP conference. Nervous but excited...

Also, I've been at a sister GP practice this past week instead of at my regular clinic. It's a nice change to see kitten and puppy wellness visits and dentals instead of old and/or sick specialty patients. I still don't really want to do GP, but it's been more fun than I thought it would be.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
My day in a nutshell....

Awww, I'm sorry :( Hope the next day is much better!

Just got offered an interview for a residency! It's happening this weekend at the ACVP conference. Nervous but excited...

Congratz! :) Even an interview is hard to get, isn't it? Aren't residencies in vet med few and far between?

Cute doggies coming your way!
ashton_banana.jpg

84ba876e4556e3ed7129ffe04804c9c5.jpg

animals-cute-dog-Favim.com-458661_large.jpg

Last edited:
Aaaaand a 12 year old dog in status epilepticus just before closing tonight. Euthanized. Argh. I don't want to touch anything anymore, lest it die.

As a small bright spot, one of my favourite vet school profs is coming to the area to do a dinner lecture on antimicrobial resistance and it's being held at one of the nicest restaurants in town. So fancy food and a chance to be like, "Hey Dr M! Look at me! I'm adulting!!"

Last edited:
Guys I'm not nearly smart enough for my life goals. My mentor said to read the critical care book this year, so here I am on a Friday night reading through this book, and I'm pretty sure I know less than 50% of the words used in every chapter. Sigh.

Members don't see this ad :)
Guys I'm not nearly smart enough for my life goals. My mentor said to read the critical care book this year, so here I am on a Friday night reading through this book, and I'm pretty sure I know less than 50% of the words used in every chapter. Sigh.

I refuse to believe you aren't smart enough. Everything takes time. No one expects you to have all the ECC knowledge right now. Also, major props to you for reading on a Friday night!

I refuse to believe you aren't smart enough. Everything takes time. No one expects you to have all the ECC knowledge right now. Also, major props to you for reading on a Friday night!
I'm on call for surgery. Doing anything fun would mean I'd automatically get called in.

Reactions: 1 users
I just got sent home sick. I feel super-guilty because two of my internmates, a solid half of the technicians, and a good portion of the assistants are also sick but are working through it. But, it turns out, once you admit you might vomit, there's really no coming back from that. *grumbles* Well, I'm sure I'll suffer more than enough during tomorrow's ER shift to assuage my Protestant guilt.

I just got sent home sick. I feel super-guilty because two of my internmates, a solid half of the technicians, and a good portion of the assistants are also sick but are working through it. But, it turns out, once you admit you might vomit, there's really no coming back from that. *grumbles* Well, I'm sure I'll suffer more than enough during tomorrow's ER shift to assuage my Protestant guilt.
our intern director does not believe in sick days (she's superwoman), and will mock you to others. but our program's time off is also structured very strangely (as in, you cant take time off except during a specific rotation that happens once)

I was sent home twice this week for being sick (both days, I was told to leave quite early, but worked almost a full day so I didn't take the time off). I feel like if I were a SA intern, that wouldn't have happened....

Also, I have accepted an offer to stay at Mizzou for a food animal internal medicine residency! Pretty damn exciting!

Reactions: 13 users
I was sent home twice this week for being sick (both days, I was told to leave quite early, but worked almost a full day so I didn't take the time off). I feel like if I were a SA intern, that wouldn't have happened....

Also, I have accepted an offer to stay at Mizzou for a food animal internal medicine residency! Pretty damn exciting!

Congrats!!!

PIG-01-RK0175-02P.JPG

COW-02-RK0016-07P.JPG

tumblr_nh1qfa5ivk1r7yxrco1_500.jpg

tumblr_mu82axeNBO1r7yxrco5_400.jpg

images

Reactions: 5 users

Congrats!! That's awesome! Must feel so good to have a solid and sure plan. :)

Thanks everyone! I'm really excited for the opportunity. I never imagined myself doing a residency when I started vet school.

True statement that just came out of my mouth:
"Things that I don't find particularly interesting: intestinal perforations
Things that I do find interesting: critical patients arresting, ROSC, then re-arresting"

And this is how I know I should do an ECC residency :laugh:

Ahhh!! So So exciting!!! Major congrats!!

our intern director does not believe in sick days (she's superwoman), and will mock you to others. but our program's time off is also structured very strangely (as in, you cant take time off except during a specific rotation that happens once)

We're much the same, as far as both the culture and the structure of the program. I just happened to be working with surgeons who (1) believed in mercy and (2) didn't want me blowing chunks into any open abdomens. A couple hours after I left, one of my internmates who *didn't* get sent home ended up turning blue and passing out. We'll see if that makes the administrators change their tune. If nothing else, it's bad business to have to shut down the ER while the paramedics come to gurney a doctor out of there.

We're much the same, as far as both the culture and the structure of the program. I just happened to be working with surgeons who (1) believed in mercy and (2) didn't want me blowing chunks into any open abdomens. A couple hours after I left, one of my internmates who *didn't* get sent home ended up turning blue and passing out. We'll see if that makes the administrators change their tune. If nothing else, it's bad business to have to shut down the ER while the paramedics come to gurney a doctor out of there.

Was this info clearly laid out for yall on the Match page when you decided to apply? I know internships are rigorous, but wowza! You would think there would be some mercy / understanding when you are obviously ill and are not just trying to get out of doing the work.

Was this info clearly laid out for yall on the Match page when you decided to apply? I know internships are rigorous, but wowza! You would think there would be some mercy / understanding when you are obviously ill and are not just trying to get out of doing the work.
Hahaha no, I can't think of a single program that said "we are extra understanding of you are ill" or "screw you!" I suspect this attitude is reflected at many of not a majority of places, it was certainly the attitude at my 4th year school. Student health and well-being was not a priority, although they were clever in their phrasing to avoid legal trouble. I remember even when we had bad weather, we were expected to be there or else, but it was phrased so that it didn't make them sound like the bad guys. Name of the game I suppose.

My program mentions our number of days off on its VIRMP page. I guess I got lucky. We get 3 sick days and 5 vacation days. None of my intern-mates have used a sick day to my knowledge, but I'm grateful to know I have them if I need them.

Hahaha no, I can't think of a single program that said "we are extra understanding of you are ill" or "screw you!" I suspect this attitude is reflected at many of not a majority of places, it was certainly the attitude at my 4th year school. Student health and well-being was not a priority, although they were clever in their phrasing to avoid legal trouble. I remember even when we had bad weather, we were expected to be there or else, but it was phrased so that it didn't make them sound like the bad guys. Name of the game I suppose.

Hahaha I assumed they wouldn't have Thaaat much transparency. More so along the lines of they allow X number of sick days during the year is what I wonder- or if you just found out when You got there.

Hahaha I assumed they wouldn't have Thaaat much transparency. More so along the lines of they allow X number of sick days during the year is what I wonder- or if you just found out when You got there.
Sometimes that stuff can be found on VIRMP or should be discussed before signing a contract. The places I'm looking at all leave it out but they do mention vacation days. Either way, definitely make sure to negotiate in sick days when you talk about a contract, if possible!

Yeah. I remember the bad weather speech. It was something like "we understand if weather makes it impossible to get here .....

"BUT...... <insert list of all the bad things that would happen if you missed a day.>"

It was so transparent what they were doing. Dumb.

I think it really depends on the rotation. I've been told under no uncertain terms to get my butt out the door (even when I'm more of a "soldier on" person) on one rotation when I was feeling poorly, and then on ophtho two of my classmates got some really strong pushback for attending scheduled, approved (and very necessary!) doctors appointments even when the other rotation mates were 100% down with it.

I appreciate that you, the small animal receptionist, recognizes bloat as an emergency, however, I still need to talk to the person before you tell them to come on in and they're unreachable because they don't have a cell phone. Lots of clients know the number directly for the emergency phone. What if I'd been on a farm call? Ugh.

I appreciate that you, the small animal receptionist, recognizes bloat as an emergency, however, I still need to talk to the person before you tell them to come on in and they're unreachable because they don't have a cell phone. Lots of clients know the number directly for the emergency phone. What if I'd been on a farm call? Ugh.
so i read this and assumed bloat as in GDV, and then was confused why you would be on a farm call if the dog was going to SAER. then i was confused because i remembered you're the LA intern, and i thought holy crap you have to do SAER as the LA intern too?? and then i realized what you actually meant...

On the bloat topic... I had a hell of a time this past week trying to explain to a client the difference between gastric dilation "bloat" and there's-some-gas-in-your-puppy's-intestines-that's-why-he-keeps-farting-repeatedly "bloat". The woman seemed so disappointed when I told her that her otherwise bouncing off the wall puppy who vomited twice was not an emergency and was probably going to be fine....

On the bloat topic... I had a hell of a time this past week trying to explain to a client the difference between gastric dilation "bloat" and there's-some-gas-in-your-puppy's-intestines-that's-why-he-keeps-farting-repeatedly "bloat". The woman seemed so disappointed when I told her that her otherwise bouncing off the wall puppy who vomited twice was not an emergency and was probably going to be fine....
did you give her a surgical quote with that disappointment? i find that $$$$'s tend to make disappointment turn into relief ;) if you did give her a quote, perhaps the name of a good psychologist to treat her munchausen by proxy syndrome would have been good....

I really wish the world at large would recognize how deeply unqualified I am to treat anything that's not a dog or cat.

This message brought to you by a guinea pig, a ferret, a rabbit, two pigeons, and a freakin' <i>swan</i> all of whom met me in the past 48 hours and probably wish they hadn't.

Reactions: 2 users
My boss...ugh. Yesterday complained over my shoulder as I did my surgery that they never used blood pressure machines and everything turned out fine. I silently wished I could teleport my anesthesia professors in...

Question for all the current vets out there: when did you and your classmates start interviewing for jobs? I just got my schedule and I'm trying to figure out which selectives I should drop for vacation time. I'm not overly attached to any of them. I'm primarily interested in shelter medicine but I don't know if that changes anything. I'm not positive yet if I'm applying for an internship yet either. Yay for indecision!
@dyachei @Minnerbelle @twelvetigers @cowgirla @LetItSnow @Coquette22 @that redhead and anyone I may have missed because I can't remember all the usernames and I know several people went into internships. Thanks!

The first GDV I cut (like a week or two after graduation) just came back in last night vomiting. My colleague texted me to let me know she has a massive (and it looks HUGE on rads) splenic mass. Maybe liver.

Sigh. Dammit. Both organs were grossly normal when I was in there. Grrr.

Question for all the current vets out there: when did you and your classmates start interviewing for jobs? I just got my schedule and I'm trying to figure out which selectives I should drop for vacation time. I'm not overly attached to any of them. I'm primarily interested in shelter medicine but I don't know if that changes anything. I'm not positive yet if I'm applying for an internship yet either. Yay for indecision!
@dyachei @Minnerbelle @twelvetigers @cowgirla @LetItSnow @Coquette22 @that redhead and anyone I may have missed because I can't remember all the usernames and I know several people went into internships. Thanks!

I'm a bad example, Hedgie. I had a standing GP offer, was considering an offer with another GP, and ended up doing what I'm doing because an externship site felt I fit in well with them and they asked me to apply.

But I feel like most of my classmates were like Dyachei suggested - got their NAVLE results, started getting serious about applying/interviewing. Exception might be Banfield people - doesn't Banfield have a specific pipeline with its own timeline for new grads? I don't know when all that happened.

i think most people started looking jan-march, i know a lot of people who started then or earlier got turned away from clinics that werent ready to look that far into the future. i know a couple of people who started the summer/fall before, but i think they are the exceptions, and may have already had their eye on a specific practice they knew.

I didn't know for sure what city I was going to end up in so I was hella delayed. That, and I didn't NEED the job asap because I have some leeway with the husband's income. I would advise starting sooner so that you don't end up in the situation I was in; I got a lot of "we just hired someone, actually." I kinda lucked into the current job.

Sent out resumes around Christmas, interviewed around Feb. Some people did externships at their eventual employers which served as interviews. Most interviews seemed to be Feb-March.

Were you guys just replying to wanted ads or were you also contacting practices in the area that you wanted to work in as well at that point?