All Branch Topic (ABT) Class of 2015 Military Match Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

j4pac

Prior Flight Surgeon PM&R attending guy
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Getting this started a little bit later than usual this year. Last year the board for all services took place early-mid November, but GMESB is suppose to convene Dec 1. Match results will likely be posted Dec 17-18.

I am a GMO/FS guy, so this day is a long time coming.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Navy, PM&R. Trying to pull off the impossible. Good luck!

I have 10+ civilian interviews so hopefully that could be leverage for Reed...I could get FTOS...or I go civilian. You really have to give yourself options when you are applying to competitive residencies in the Navy.

That time of year again? Looking forward to my time next year. j4pac did you do 1 or 2 years as a FS?

FS for Navy is typically a 2-3 year billet. There are two 1-yr FS billets to my knowledge- Guantanamo and Diego Garcia. Usually unaccompanied.

Most training squadron billets are 3 years, operation tours are usually 2 years.

I am at a training squadron, so I have 3 year orders. You can typically get out of your 3rd year if you match to residency but you would have to get the permission in writing from your CO.

That's not bad. I'm in a 2 year GMO billet in Hawaii. If I don't match this year I'll try to stay in Hawaii and reapply next year... We'll see what happens in the next 3 weeks

That's not bad. I'm in a 2 year GMO billet in Hawaii. If I don't match this year I'll try to stay in Hawaii and reapply next year... We'll see what happens in the next 3 weeks

That's a good plan. I actually extended a year at my current command because my wife is a 2nd year resident in the town I'm stationed and I wanted to apply to advanced civilian PM&R programs for 2016. I am requesting pre-selection into Walter Reed or FTOS for the 2016 cycle. Unlikely to happen...but it makes the most sense for my situation.

I have a strong chance of matching civilian...and if I do...I will get another chance to request FTOS if I don't get it this year. But if I match civilian this cycle, I won't be able to apply to Reed next cycle because it would be a match violation.

Extending is a very easy process...as the Navy has a huge financial incentive to allow you to do it. All you need to do is contact your detailer and let them know you intentions. Within a year of the date you are expected to depart you will need to type up a request for extension, get your skipper to sign, and submit. If you need the template down the road...let me know. Hopefully you have a good rapport with your Skipper.

Getting this started a little bit later than usual this year. Last year the board for all services took place early-mid November, but GMESB is suppose to convene Dec 1. Match results will likely be posted Dec 17-18.

I am a GMO/FS guy, so this day is a long time coming.

What's the diff between the board for all services and the GMESB?

Extending is a very easy process...as the Navy has a huge financial incentive to allow you to do it. All you need to do is contact your detailer and let them know you intentions.
Detailer didn't give you any grief? I'd be curious to see your template if you're willing to share it (via PM if you're willing)

Detailer didn't give you any grief? I'd be curious to see your template if you're willing to share it (via PM if you're willing)
The key to extending any set of orders is having a command that wants to keep you. By and large the detailers don't care where anyone goes or stays.

You don't necessarily have to drink all the Kool-Aid but think twice about peeing it. I'm sure it's not coincidence that the only person I've ever seen get an extension request declined had a reputation for being loudly disgruntled.

The key to extending any set of orders is having a command that wants to keep you. By and large the detailers don't care where anyone goes or stays.

You don't necessarily have to drink all the Kool-Aid but think twice about peeing it. I'm sure it's not coincidence that the only person I've ever seen get an extension request declined had a reputation for being loudly disgruntled.

Good points. I got 2 year orders to a ship, the first year being a wash b/c we're in the yards. Id like to extend to make it a 3 year tour, to get a deployment out of it. Should be doable, they like me, i drink some of the koolaid, dont rock the boat too much.

I'll get it for you when I get back to the office. Detailers love it when you extend. The GMO/UMO/FS billets are higher need than GME. If they can extend you will saving money on dislocation allowance and moving costs...they will be happy to oblige. It completely comes down to you being able to get your Skippers name on the bottom of the template I will forward you.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'll get it for you when I get back to the office. Detailers love it when you extend. The GMO/UMO/FS billets are higher need than GME. If they can extend you will saving money on dislocation allowance and moving costs...they will be happy to oblige. It completely comes down to you being able to get your Skippers name on the bottom of the template I will forward you.

Cool thanks, no rush

It's driving me crazy that it takes so long to release the results! Anybody know if they'll let us know about cancelling civilian interviews early like last year? (applying AF)

The board is meeting this week and results will be posted about 1-1.5 weeks after that. I'm just going to start checking every morning until then... Sigh

Reactions: 1 user
For the Navy, we got very clear updates that we would know on the 17th. I'm not sure about civilian deferments, but I didn't get the impression that they were going to give those folks any heads up.

It would be nice to know if anybody has any additional information. Seems like we each have a piece of the full story but not the whole story...

The board is meeting this week and results will be posted about 1-1.5 weeks after that. I'm just going to start checking every morning until then... Sigh

I know last year they posted results at midnight. If you want to be hardcore about it you could check every morning at 0001 hours.

When I went through the match as an MS4 I waited till midnight and found out... Good thing this year I'm in Hawaii and I only have to wait until 7pm and then I can go out and celebrate

Reactions: 2 users
This thread comes round every year. Navy results released around 0900 est on wed. Army at midnight the night before. AF variable but usually early am via email.

If memory serves

Reactions: 1 user
Not that I'm counting...but...two weeks to go

e46a6c6db27112e3914cc5b788a8292e.jpg

When does the "cancel your civilian interviews" email usually come out? All three services or different?

8 days

Does anyone know what tab or how the match information will be presented on mods? Will it be on the main page out front or on one of the drop down menus?

8 days

Does anyone know what tab or how the match information will be presented on mods? Will it be on the main page out front or on one of the drop down menus?

Allegedly, last year Navy's results were posted under Board Status Summary.

5 more days. Not that I am counting.

This is going to be one heck of a week. Talking to the detailer, no phone hand-offs this time.

This is going to be one heck of a week. Talking to the detailer, no phone hand-offs this time.
Detailer for what? Haha

Last edited:
When interns don't get what they want, GMO jobs are first come first served. So they all call the detailer frantically in the early morning. It's dumb.

When interns don't get what they want, GMO jobs are first come first served. So they all call the detailer frantically in the early morning. It's dumb.
Dang. So if come match day things don't pan out I need to call my detailer the same day?

Dang. So if come match day things don't pan out I need to call my detailer the same day?

Umm...yeah. It's tricky because once you claim a GMO job, you're off the alternate list. But if you are in a specialty where you won't be selected, you should be calling all morning until you get through (unless you like cherry point nc, etc). Aren't all the interns talking about this? The handoff thing was that once someone got through, they kept passing the phone to friends. I sacrificed my office to this enterprise for several years in a row.

Also, this is old info. The arbitrary nature of the process means that the jealous twig in millington who decided your fate may have changed the rules. Be good to find out b4 Wed. Then report back here how it went.

Can anyone tell me exactly where to look for match results on Wednesday? Also - I'm curious... What specialty did everyone apply for?

yeah I'm curious too. So in my understanding it will be the 1 am on Wednesday so pretty much tomorrow after midnight? Anyone know if its CST or EST?

Can anyone tell me exactly where to look for match results on Wednesday? Also - I'm curious... What specialty did everyone apply for?

Applied for internal medicine. I understand that field usually doesn't fill for most years recently and most probably will not fill this year as well for the army. However, I just want to get at least my top two choices for location.

Navy= Status -> Board status summary

Is it obsessive that I've been checking the website once an hour all day?

No...technically that would be compulsive. ;)