Class of 2015!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Bumpity bump.

My bf's apartment is like a hotel this weekend. 2 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, and 7 people staying here. :eek:

And speaking of the living arrangements for med school, I found out that a girl I was kinda friends with in middle school and high school is going to another med school in my city, and I think we're gonna be living in the same building! I'm looking forward to having a familiar face nearby, in addition to my bf and all you Philly SDNers. :)

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone else getting scared that this is REALLY happening?

Um... yes. It's so weird when you've been working towards it for SO long and now it's finally here. I don't think it's totally real for me still.

Bumpity bump.

My bf's apartment is like a hotel this weekend. 2 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, and 7 people staying here. :eek:

And speaking of the living arrangements for med school, I found out that a girl I was kinda friends with in middle school and high school is going to another med school in my city, and I think we're gonna be living in the same building! I'm looking forward to having a familiar face nearby, in addition to my bf and all you Philly SDNers. :)

Ha! Small world.

Members don't see this ad :)
people, people....we are falling off the page

LETS GET IT TOGETHER!!

side note, I hate basketball referees, especially when they're biased against your team

It gets worse- I'm moving in the exact direction closer to my parent's house... Here's to getting my laundry done into my late 20's :rolleyes:
Yeah, I'm not moving far from my parent's house either. I'm kind of a germophobe and am a little wary of public washing machines, so I may end up bringing my laundry home every week. I've been doing my own laundry since I was 12 though.

Moving.

Overwhelmed.

Miss 2015.
Jealousss. I'm not moving til mid-July at the earliest, but I have most of my apartment stuff already and I'm planning on moving like 15 minutes away from where I am now. I'm so ready to go HGTV-style crazy with decorating my own place.
It doesn't feel real, but maybe that's because my school hasn't asked for any money or anything yet. Once I get that biggg cashier's check sucked out of my bank account, I think it'll feel more real.

Trio, your incessant use of the metric system never fails to amuse me.

Torr, join the Facebook group already.

Also, grats Flow! :)

Congrats, Flow. :)

Thank you :)

Haha, funny how the world works...To avoid all of that confusion, I took myself off waitlists after I finalized my roommate/school decision in March. :)

It'll be a tough choice--but I'm guessing you're drawn to your state school bc of $? It IS HMS though...

HMS is actually rather "cheap." I'm drawn to IS because I really like Denver and because my family lives there. I would really like to be near my immediate family. I want to watch/be around for my little brother growing up. (he's 11) My family actually is really supportive/pushing me toward HMS. I think it's my final dealio.

GL CLASS OF 2015! ionno bout u guys but med (medical) school is going to be soooooooooooooooooooooo freaking hard for me.

1115-cupcakes-90210-credit.jpg

LOL!

she has nice cupcakes

r u getting hungry now

Dangit, I was gonna post "OMG Cupcakes!!" :(

Kinda. I've actually been really numb about all this... it's kinda weird that more people seem excited for me than I do, even tho this is definitely what I've always wanted to do.*

*although lately I realized how much I enjoy business stuff, as well.

HMS is actually rather "cheap." I'm drawn to IS because I really like Denver and because my family lives there. I would really like to be near my immediate family. I want to watch/be around for my little brother growing up. (he's 11) My family actually is really supportive/pushing me toward HMS. I think it's my final dealio.

Congrats! I really wanted HMS to be cheap for me, but it didn't work out that way. After Second Look, though, I could see why people love it there. You'll have a great time.

This whole going-to-med school thing is getting really real, really fast. I'll feel better once I sign a lease and I'm actually in Philly. We should definitely have a Philly meetup once everyone is there and settled in.

Congrats! I really wanted HMS to be cheap for me, but it didn't work out that way. After Second Look, though, I could see why people love it there. You'll have a great time.

This whole going-to-med school thing is getting really real, really fast. I'll feel better once I sign a lease and I'm actually in Philly. We should definitely have a Philly meetup once everyone is there and settled in.
I wish I could have gone to second look, but I was still WL then. I keep hearing great things though, so that really eases my mind about the situation. Penn gave you a really nice scholarship didn't they? I felt like Penn seemed more social/fun, too! You're such a baller :)

Yeah this transitional period is always the worst/most exciting part. I've moved about 10 times in my life and it's definitely a period of uncertainty and anxiety!

Might have found the cheapest room in Chicago ever, and I think I might be living there. But it's tinier than any of the dorm rooms I have ever been in. But in an awesome neighborhood and approx. $400/month. Yay lofting beds.

I'm planning on it, just just the C/o 2015 thread people. You, me, Court, Julie, maybe Jersey Girl... and possibly some other people. It occurs to me that it's all girls, though boyfriends are welcome. I just want to have you guys over for some simple like burgers and beer (or soda, in my case).

Might have found the cheapest room in Chicago ever, and I think I might be living there. But it's tinier than any of the dorm rooms I have ever been in. But in an awesome neighborhood and approx. $400/month. Yay lofting beds.

Wow, that's pretty cheap! Is it close to campus?

I'm planning on it, just just the C/o 2015 thread people. You, me, Court, Julie, maybe Jersey Girl... and possibly some other people. It occurs to me that it's all girls, though boyfriends are welcome. I just want to have you guys over for some simple like burgers and beer (or soda, in my case).
Nuh uh. You gotta drink for two! :D

Members don't see this ad :)

Hmm, I say go IS if you're going to have a better family support system going on. However, I also would go with whichever option will truly give you a better "career path"--honestly, HMS will probably only help if you're going into an academic field of medicine. If you're just doing private practice, HMS will give you a nice "ego boost", but at the end of the day, it won't make a huge difference where you go. My two cousins who are both practicing internal medicine are both working for HMOs...one went UCSF, and his brother went to St. George's University.

Want to send me your extra savings my way? I'm paying over 3 times as much as you per month for rent, nearly 4 times with utilities and transit...lol.

Yeah, I'm not moving far from my parent's house either. I'm kind of a germophobe and am a little wary of public washing machines, so I may end up bringing my laundry home every week. I've been doing my own laundry since I was 12 though.

Jealousss. I'm not moving til mid-July at the earliest, but I have most of my apartment stuff already and I'm planning on moving like 15 minutes away from where I am now. I'm so ready to go HGTV-style crazy with decorating my own place.

It doesn't feel real, but maybe that's because my school hasn't asked for any money or anything yet. Once I get that biggg cashier's check sucked out of my bank account, I think it'll feel more real.

Trio, your incessant use of the metric system never fails to amuse me.

Torr, join the Facebook group already.

I've never done my own laundry....and now I may have to go with NY's "wash and fold service" for like $.80/lb of clothes. It's marginally more than doing a coin laundry service...

Point Number two: It's what Ikea told me it weighed--I swear! :)

Last edited:

That is awesome! And it shouldn't matter if you're not one to study at home. Nice work. :-D

I'm in. The boy and I would be happy to help you guys with anything.

Dude. Pliny the Elder = best beer ever.

Mmm beer. That one's a good choice. We spent Saturday trying a bunch of new beers. Right now it has us wanting to plan a trip up to the Weyerbacher brewery in Easton, about 1.5h north-northwest of Philly. The Simcoe 2x IPA is absolutely delicious.

I've never done my own laundry....and now I may have to go with NY's "wash and fold service" for like $.80/lb of clothes. It's marginally more than doing a coin laundry service...

Point Number two: It's what Ikea told me it weighed--I swear! :)

Trio, I use metric a lot too. Don't feel bad. You'd have to use it for weights if you become an anesthesiologist anyway. ;)

Also, that's a lot of money for laundry. To be fair, I hate doing laundry and don't think it's not money well spent. (Yay double negatives at 7am... where's my coffee?)

Hmm, I say go IS if you're going to have a better family support system going on. However, I also would go with whichever option will truly give you a better "career path"--honestly, HMS will probably only help if you're going into an academic field of medicine. If you're just doing private practice, HMS will give you a nice "ego boost", but at the end of the day, it won't make a huge difference where you go. My two cousins who are both practicing internal medicine are both working for HMOs...one went UCSF, and his brother went to St. George's University.
That's definitely good advice :)

+eleventy billion
I won't stop pestering Torr til she joins. Plus I want the Torr-Cliff flirtation to benefit from seeing what each other looks like.

On that note, when does Cliff come back? He's been playing me on Words With Friends but hasn't said much in the thread.

I won't stop pestering Torr til she joins. Plus I want the Torr-Cliff flirtation to benefit from seeing what each other looks like.

I support this. Though I'll say it's amusing to pretend that Kate Beckinsale and Bill Cosby have something going on.

Wow, that's pretty cheap! Is it close to campus?
It's on Taylor St. right by UIC East campus. It will be about a 20 minute walk to class, but there is a shuttle service from UIC East to UIC West that I can take in the winter.
Want to send me your extra savings my way? I'm paying over 3 times as much as you per month for rent, nearly 4 times with utilities and transit...lol.
I wish.I think it just means I won't have to take out as much loans. The $400 includes utilities too! But it's a 8x8 room. haha. So tiny. So let's hope I don't study at home alot.... or i might go insane.

The girls I will be living with are taking ochem next year. they said that they will be studying ALOT on their craigslist ad. (I doubt it will be as much as me)

This is a perfect opportunity for you to stand over their shoulders and laugh at them. :smuggrin:

This is a perfect opportunity for you to stand over their shoulders and laugh at them. :smuggrin:
exactly. Who studies ALOT for ochem? I just barely skated by with a B. No way I was going to stress myself out for an A.
EDIT: I'm starting to realize that my future classmates might be able to ID me based on the above. Crap. I've always been one of those people that have denied ever hearing of SDN if it was mentioned during interviews or at second looks.

student doctor? What is that!

Last edited:
exactly. Who studies ALOT for ochem? I just barely skated by with a B. No way I was going to stress myself out for an A.
EDIT: I'm starting to realize that my future classmates might be able to ID me based on the above. Crap. I've always been one of those people that have denied ever hearing of SDN if it was mentioned during interviews or at second looks.

student doctor? What is that!

Haha. I'm almost fairly certain that the admissions people at <MY CHOICE OF SCHOOL HERE> would be able to pick me out based on all the info I've released into the wild. (Don't know about my future classmates.) *shrug* I don't believe I've ever posted or shared anything I wouldn't be willing to fess up to in real life, anyway.

I wish.I think it just means I won't have to take out as much loans. The $400 includes utilities too! But it's a 8x8 room. haha. So tiny. So let's hope I don't study at home alot.... or i might go insane.
Isn't that the exact dimensions of a prison cell?
Haha. I'm almost fairly certain that the admissions people at <MY CHOICE OF SCHOOL HERE> would be able to pick me out based on all the info I've released into the wild. (Don't know about my future classmates.) *shrug* I don't believe I've ever posted or shared anything I wouldn't be willing to fess up to in real life, anyway.
Yeah, I don't admit to anyone IRL that I'm on SDN except my parents. My school probably knows who I am from my weird GPA and MCAT combo and my interview date, but I don't yell at people or do anything that embarrassing on here so I don't really mind.

Isn't that the exact dimensions of a prison cell?
Looks like a federal prison is 6x8, so my room will be bigger! Man, I knew my mom was exaggerating about how small it was. But it's still smaller than other prison cells. booo.
Yeah, I don't admit to anyone IRL that I'm on SDN except my parents. My school probably knows who I am from my weird GPA and MCAT combo and my interview date, but I don't yell at people or do anything that embarrassing on here so I don't really mind.
Same here. I'm just not big into fessing that I have an "internet" me. I probably have said some stuff on here that I would have said to "new" friends... but eh, i like giving my opinion alot. Even if it isn't well thought out... and more just for fun. But I usually admit to that. Regardless, HELLO FUTURE CLASSMATES! I swear I am not a cat despite what that picture on the side shows you. In fact, I'm not even a big fan of cats. I'm a dog and squirrel person.

Looks like a federal prison is 6x8, so my room will be bigger! Man, I knew my mom was exaggerating about how small it was. But it's still smaller than other prison cells. booo.

Same here. I'm just not big into fessing that I have an "internet" me. I probably have said some stuff on here that I would have said to "new" friends... but eh, i like giving my opinion alot. Even if it isn't well thought out... and more just for fun. But I usually admit to that. Regardless, HELLO FUTURE CLASSMATES! I swear I am not a cat despite what that picture on the side shows you. In fact, I'm not even a big fan of cats. I'm a dog and squirrel person.

:laugh: Squirrels, ftw!

On that note, when does Cliff come back? He's been playing me on Words With Friends but hasn't said much in the thread.

Why is nobody asking when I get back?! :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

thursday night... in case anyone wants to know :(

Btw, when my SDN identity got out at work, everybody thought I was some sort of celebrity... Pre-meds, go figure. But yea, I'm a subscriber to the neither confirm nor deny philosophy if anyone asks about SDN at my school next year.

Trio, I use metric a lot too. Don't feel bad. You'd have to use it for weights if you become an anesthesiologist anyway. ;)

Also, that's a lot of money for laundry. To be fair, I hate doing laundry and don't think it's not money well spent. (Yay double negatives at 7am... where's my coffee?)

Hmm, you think WHAT about my laundry money? I think I'll end up doing coin laundry, just because it's cheaper..and a few bucks every week adds up!...I think? I am just thinking that I will be doing two loads of laundry a week (lights and darks)...and each load is about 2 dollars to wash (4 bucks to wash, and another 6 bucks to dry)...so at the end of the day, it adds up to over 10 bucks a week *sigh*.

It's on Taylor St. right by UIC East campus. It will be about a 20 minute walk to class, but there is a shuttle service from UIC East to UIC West that I can take in the winter.

Haha, if it makes you feel any better, one apartment my roommate and I looked at had a 9x6 bedroom, and the rent was only 300 dollars LESS ($2500/month) than our current apartment, whose smallest bedroom is 12x17.

Anyone who knows me and uses SDN has been able to identify me on SDN. Pretty easy since most know my undergrad and school choice...and I'm sure my future classmates can tell if they read my contributions on our SST.

Btw, when my SDN identity got out at work, everybody thought I was some sort of celebrity... Pre-meds, go figure. But yea, I'm a subscriber to the neither confirm nor deny philosophy if anyone asks about SDN at my school next year.

Haha! :) welcome back on Thursday! :)

Hmm, I would say that I am going to do the same thing--like "what is SDN??", but that'll fail because I'm still the only one that "fits the profile" out of all my classmates lol

for pre-meds, SDN is embarrassing by association since the pre-allo forum is so full of derp. For med students, I feel it won't be like that at all. But I still am not going to tell anyone my username; if they figure it out on their own, then fine.

for pre-meds, SDN is embarrassing by association since the pre-allo forum is so full of derp. For med students, I feel it won't be like that at all. But I still am not going to tell anyone my username; if they figure it out on their own, then fine.

lulz

Sweet, that's awesome. Hopefully it will be cozy, not small. :)

I'm in!!!

Mmm beer. That one's a good choice. We spent Saturday trying a bunch of new beers. Right now it has us wanting to plan a trip up to the Weyerbacher brewery in Easton, about 1.5h north-northwest of Philly. The Simcoe 2x IPA is absolutely delicious.

I tried a bunch of new beers this weekend too! My bf has turned beer-tasting into a big hobby, which is totally rubbing off on me. He goes to this nice liquor store near his apartment every week and buys a bunch of regional brews to try and blog about. So I'm sure he'd love to check out that IPA. (As would I!)

H&1/2 is pretty much my favorite blog ever. I love Allie.

+10000000

Enjoy your last few days Beast!

I don't talk about SDN to anyone, except my bf. (He often gets a kick out of some of the troll-tastic threads.) I think I'll try to keep it on the DL during med school. I won't deny ever having heard of it, but I won't tell anyone my username either. Although mine might be pretty easy to figure out... I made it a long time ago when I never thought I'd be a regular poster. Meh.

I don't talk about SDN to anyone, except my bf. (He often gets a kick out of some of the troll-tastic threads.) I think I'll try to keep it on the DL during med school. I won't deny ever having heard of it, but I won't tell anyone my username either. Although mine might be pretty easy to figure out... I made it a long time ago when I never thought I'd be a regular poster. Meh.

There's always the name change request route. You could change your name to Bleargh2, or something. No one would know who you are.

Bleargh2: Rise of the Blearghs.

I'm shopping for a comforter and a bedding set (duvet cover, pillow cases, mattress cover, flat sheet, etc.)....anyone have any recommendations about stores at which I can buy these things? So far, Ikea seems to have a decent 'warm" comforter for 99 bucks...but they have pretty crappy sheets I've heard.

I'm also frugal, so keep that in mind! I need all y'alls help b/c I'm so bad at these kinds of things.

The Alot reminded me that I've not ready hyperbole & 1/2 in quite a long time. I went and read it. OMG, the newer simple dog one, it is SO my dog. I have 2 dogs. Our yorkie (who was used to being a spoiled only child before we saved a stray), would be the "angry vindictive" dog, if there was one, but Coraline, our mutt, is 100% simple dog.

Oh, I've seen the Cliffster....and, though I didn't think it was possible, he is wayyy hotter than Bill Cosby!!! :cool:

I'm shopping for a comforter and a bedding set (duvet cover, pillow cases, mattress cover, flat sheet, etc.)....anyone have any recommendations about stores at which I can buy these things? So far, Ikea seems to have a decent 'warm" comforter for 99 bucks...but they have pretty crappy sheets I've heard.

I'm also frugal, so keep that in mind! I need all y'alls help b/c I'm so bad at these kinds of things.

Just bought my "med school bed" today. Woohoo! Haven't gotten as far as bedding yet but that should be tomorrow if I have enough time. I wanna get a duvet cover or two as well. Hopefully I'll find some deals (and let ya'll know if I do :)).

This picture is also appropriate for my 2,000th post.

Congrats on getting to 2K, Maubs!! :D

Celebratory hustle!

[YOUTUBE]WWGII3GWRG0[/YOUTUBE]

Just bought my "med school bed" today. Woohoo! Haven't gotten as far as bedding yet but that should be tomorrow if I have enough time. I wanna get a duvet cover or two as well. Hopefully I'll find some deals (and let ya'll know if I do :)).

Much appreciated!! :) I am buying a NovaFoam Full sized mattress from Costco, bed from Ikea, and linens from....god knows where :) In the end, I'll probably just go to Target if I don't find anything.

Much appreciated!! :) I am buying a NovaFoam Full sized mattress from Costco, bed from Ikea, and linens from....god knows where :) In the end, I'll probably just go to Target if I don't find anything.

Make sure you get high thread-count sheets.

[YOUTUBE]kJo0RiMa0ek[/YOUTUBE]

BB&B or any department store like Macy's or Sears. Hell, you can even find bedding sets at Target and Walmart but they're not as nice. I would think BB&B would be your best bet, at least it will have the largest selection and probably not be as expensive as Macy's. Get a complete bedding set in a pack then a couple more sets of sheets that match. The mattress pad is usually sold separately, but I think they're relatively cheap.

Here's one at BB&B that looks nice, IMO. Comforter, fitted sheet, flat sheet, bed skirt, 2 pillowcases and 2 shams for $100 for a queen bed. http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product.asp?SKU=130506&RN=31&

Do you want a comforter or a duvet with a cover? The duvets have the added benefit of being able to remove and wash the cover easily but they're more expensive and usually not part of a set.

Also... TOP!

Last edited: