Class of 2015!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Interesting experience in the pool today.

I get there and see that all the lanes are taken, but that two guys are talking with one another across the lane line, so I ask them if they would mind if I either shared with one of them or if they shared a lane so I could have my own. No problem, I get my own lane. 10 minutes in, the one guy starts talking to me, asking if I'm on the swim team. "No, just getting a little work out in, haven't been on a team in 6 years - since high school," I say. He replies "oh, so you're a senior?" :confused: "No, I'm a med student, how about you?" - "Oh, I'm a freshman, but I'm premed. Do you mind if I ask you a few questions?" Proceeds to ask me if I thought med school was hard to get into (how does one answer this question?), what my score on the MCAT was... and then tells me that he's already bought a review book to begin studying (note: like I said, dude's a freshman). Anyway, I told him to not do that. And that he needs to enjoy undergrad because life ends at med school. I hope I didn't scare the guy too much, but really? MCAT review as a freshman - please tell me none of you did this.

FACEPALM. ENDSTORY.

edit. toptoptop!

wtf? I think that's nuts but I don't think I can talk... I did buy first aid at the start of school this year, haha.

I usually say it depends on what school you want to get into when they ask how hard it was. But, we have a lot of choices in our state. :shrug:

P.S., I hate when people take us lanes and just talk. Who does that? Get out of the pool and chat it up..jeez.

Members don't see this ad.

wtf? I think that's nuts but I don't think I can talk... I did buy first aid at the start of school this year, haha.

I usually say it depends on what school you want to get into when they ask how hard it was. But, we have a lot of choices in our state. :shrug:

P.S., I hate when people take us lanes and just talk. Who does that? Get out of the pool and chat it up..jeez.

I think first aid is different. I know a lot of people who get it to parse down the really high yield topics in their courses the first couple years. I definitely plan on getting one at the end of this year or beginning of next. And yea, the guy was asking about my school in general since he was an undergrad there - but it's still so hard to answer, because I think I got really lucky during the admission process - plus I was non-trad. Oh well, told him it's tough for the average applicant regardless of the school and to definitely focus on keeping a strong GPA. Hopefully that helped!

And for real with the chatting. There was a girl in one lane talking with the lifeguard for 20 mins. I finally paused and told her that I was pretty sure there were people waiting to get in if she wasn't actually going to do any swimming. Of course, she was on the swim team and therefore thought she could do whatever she wanted and just rolled her eyes at me - but at least I tried! :rolleyes:

Of course, she was on the swim team and therefore thought she could do whatever she wanted and just rolled her eyes at me - but at least I tried! :rolleyes:

I friggin hate that. THE biggest reason I quit swimming in undergrad. We have amazing facilities, but the university swim team and masters teams dominate every pool at every convient time. Lame.

Members don't see this ad :)
I friggin hate that. THE biggest reason I quit swimming in undergrad. We have amazing facilities, but the university swim team and masters teams dominate every pool at every convient time. Lame.

Ha more power to ya for swimming any of undergrad - I quit after high school. I do miss it, though.

image.JPG

Who you guys taking?

I am personally betting on this
ultimate-meteor-guide.jpg

hitting the stadium.

I have been using SDN for almost 4 years and today was the first time I had to add someone to my ignore list. Finally found that one person who made me want to go totally insane and just heap expletives and personal attacks on him/her.... I (maybe) did the right thing....

I'm in love with neuroanatomy! To the point where I'm completely ignoring H&N anatomy (probably bad news when exam time comes...).

Neuro has been a ton of work but the whole process of localizing lesions based on functional deficits is ridiculously elegant and logical. I feel like I'm finally using my critical thinking skills. My favorite class of the year so far (followed closely by physio)! :love:

I'm in love with neuroanatomy! To the point where I'm completely ignoring H&N anatomy (probably bad news when exam time comes...).

Neuro has been a ton of work but the whole process of localizing lesions based on functional deficits is ridiculously elegant and logical. I feel like I'm finally using my critical thinking skills. My favorite class of the year so far (followed closely by physio)! :love:

gunner

page 3 bump.

p.s. Kaushik, I'm a neuro nerd, too. but we don't get to learn about it til next year - just gotta make do with the histology part of nervous system for now.

When are we doing the scotch-drinking? I need to sophisticate my palate.

page 3 bump.

p.s. Kaushik, I'm a neuro nerd, too. but we don't get to learn about it til next year - just gotta make do with the histology part of nervous system for now.
:(

I had an awesome weekend! Went skiing for the first time and had a lot of fun. Then, we stayed at a friend's farmhouse (the proper term would be mansion!) for the rest of the weekend and the Superbowl. I think around 25 of us M1s went on this trip (including avoidthetiger). Good times! Now it's back to the suckitude of playing catch-up.

I had an awesome weekend! Went skiing for the first time and had a lot of fun. Then, we stayed at a friend's farmhouse (the proper term would be mansion!) for the rest of the weekend and the Superbowl. I think around 25 of us M1s went on this trip (including avoidthetiger). Good times! Now it's back to the suckitude of playing catch-up.

this sounds great! I'm glad you had some fun. :thumbup: I'm now less than a week out from what's famed to be the most difficult exam of M1 at my school. welp, this should be fun...

Members don't see this ad :)
this sounds great! I'm glad you had some fun. :thumbup: I'm now less than a week out from what's famed to be the most difficult exam of M1 at my school. welp, this should be fun...

We just had what everyone tells us is the hardest one of the first two years for us, cardiovascular physiology, and it was insane. Definitely lived up to it. Yet somehow it's my highest grade in the class so far and a vast improvement lolol. Apparently they did a lot of big research here in cardio back in the 70s, and one of the professors was a post-doc in one of those famous Brit's labs or something, so they just feel the need to make it absolutely insane. Class average was a 75 with a std of 10 lol. Usually our class averages in the low-mid 80s.

We just had what everyone tells us is the hardest one of the first two years for us, cardiovascular physiology, and it was insane. Definitely lived up to it. Yet somehow it's my highest grade in the class so far and a vast improvement lolol. Apparently they did a lot of big research here in cardio back in the 70s, and one of the professors was a post-doc in one of those famous Brit's labs or something, so they just feel the need to make it absolutely insane. Class average was a 75 with a std of 10 lol. Usually our class averages in the low-mid 80s.

Glad you did well in this block. Our cardio resp block was insane too. Avg was 80 with sd of 8. Our avg is usually 83-84. They had to lower our pass rate from 68 to 67, and even then a handful of people failed. :(

Glad you did well in this block. Our cardio resp block was insane too. Avg was 80 with sd of 8. Our avg is usually 83-84. They had to lower our pass rate from 68 to 67, and even then a handful of people failed. :(

Well, I'm not done with the block yet. One does not simply walk through physio and biochem.

We have Renal/GI/Endrocrine/Reproduction next physio exam and heme/genetics/gene expression for biochem in a few weeks.

pic related

1143434970860.jpg

Just watched Glee and noticed my recent haircut is hair-for-hair the same as Ricky Martin's during that episode. Well-played, friendly and talented latina working at Sportsclips

Just watched Glee and noticed my recent haircut is hair-for-hair the same as Ricky Martin's during that episode. Well-played, friendly and talented latina working at Sportsclips

Have you found your life is now....la vida loca?

We have our heme/immuno block test friday. This is all seemed really clinically relevant. I love being a medical student for the first time since anatomy....

Well, I'm not done with the block yet. One does not simply walk through physio and biochem.

We have Renal/GI/Endrocrine/Reproduction next physio exam and heme/genetics/gene expression for biochem in a few weeks.

pic related

1143434970860.jpg

Firstly, LOL at the pic. Secondly, we have our cardio/pulm/renal/GI physiology final next Friday, with our formal the next day. Next block is musculoskeletal, endocrine and reproductive. I think that will be my favorite block this year. We shall see.

:luck: to everyone with exams.

note: fever does not help studying. I can't help thinking "I know what a lymphocyte looks like under a microscope now, why oh why did mine choose now to backfire?"

had to save us from the third page. now, to attempt to study.

:luck: to everyone with exams.

note: fever does not help studying. I can't help thinking "I know what a lymphocyte looks like under a microscope now, why oh why did mine choose now to backfire?"

had to save us from the third page. now, to attempt to study.
:( Get well soon! Good luck to you too!

the irony...I think I'm developing some sort of compression neuropathy from sitting on my butt so long while studying for this neuro exam...best of luck, everyone! brb going to try 5-hour-energy for the first time

the irony...I think I'm developing some sort of compression neuropathy from sitting on my butt so long while studying for this neuro exam...best of luck, everyone! brb going to try 5-hour-energy for the first time

Let me know what you think! I know a lot of people swear by it, but I've just been hesitant to try. If you have rave reviews I might be buying some for next exam week!

Let me know what you think! I know a lot of people swear by it, but I've just been hesitant to try. If you have rave reviews I might be buying some for next exam week!

in my panicked mind, i was too pressed for time to justify going to the store around the corner, so I just took a bunch of my pre-workout supplement Jack3d. lmao. worked like a charm, got a 90%!

in my panicked mind, i was too pressed for time to justify going to the store around the corner, so I just took a bunch of my pre-workout supplement Jack3d. lmao. worked like a charm, got a 90%!

jelly

I always feel like I am having tachycardia when I take that stuff, I stopped using it a few days after starting it....

def...it's basically amphetamines + creatine + caffeine. I follow the label and don't use it more than twice a week. It makes me insanely awake and horny :smuggrin:

hahaha I love this. nice work. whatever works, right? :laugh:

I hope everyone has a nice weekend!

Happy birthday, Maubs!!

And yes, Cole's place is sweeett but not as sweet as me winning a round of Munchkin :pP

two big exams next week. exhausted!! le sigh is right.
this bipolar weather "snow" next day "63 degrees" isn't helping either.

countdown to spring break starts..... now.

omg, I am hating bacteriology so hard right now. 6 days til doomsday. :(
Good luck!

We just had our genetics, neurophys, and neuroanatomy exams this past week. The neuro practical and the H&N written/practical are coming up this week. Then, we get an awesome 4-day weekend for spring break! I plan on doing absolutely nothing. It's going to be glorious.

We have immuno/microbio starting when we get back from break though. I'm looking forward to popping open my Clinical Mico Made Ridiculously Simple book.