Class of 2016 Acceptances- Statistics

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lighty

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
This thread should help aspiring applicants!

Date PharmCAS was mailed:
Interview Invitation Extended for (school name):
Date Interview Scheduled:
Accepted (indicate school attending):

PCAT
GPA(Overall, Science)

Extracurricular/Experience:

Members don't see this ad.

Date PharmCAS was mailed: Dec 1, 2011

Interview Invitation Extended for (school name): University of New Mexico, University of Charleston (West Virginia), University of Hawaii, University of Iowa, Virginia Commonwealth.

Date Interview Scheduled: UNM (Feb 11th), UoC (Feb 17th), UoH (Feb 22). Declined interviews with Iowa and Virginia.

Accepted (indicate school attending): UNM (attending), UoC. Waitlisted for UoH.

PCAT: 79 composite
GPA(Overall, Science): 2.7, 2.5.

Extracurricular/Experience: 8 Years as a pharmacy technician, community service, teaching/lab assistant experience. Life experience.

The biggest obstacle I had to overcome was my GPA. I was extremely fortunate to be granted an interview. Willing to answer questions if anyone has any.:)

Date PharmCAS was mailed: November 28, 2011

Interview Invitation Extended for (school name): University of Charleston (WV), University of Cincinnati, Midwestern University, NEOUCOP (OH), Purdue University, Auburn University (declined interview)

Date Interview Scheduled: All through Jan, Feb, and the first week of March

Accepted (indicate school attending): Accepted to all, attending University of Cincinnati

PCAT: 73 composite

GPA(Overall, Science): 3.14, 2.68

Extracurricular/Experience: B.S. in neuroscience, one year as a retail pharmacy tech, two years as a volunteer in a hospital OB department, 2.5 years research (published twice), 2 years volunteering in a community crisis center, tutoring for a year, shadowed two pharmacists, traveled extensively and speak three languages fluently (sounds crazy but i swear it makes a difference)

Members don't see this ad :)
Date PharmCAS was mailed: 8/10
Interview Invitation Extended for (school name): UNC, Univeristy of MN, Univeristy of TN (Declined) and Belmont (declined)
Date Interview Scheduled: University of MN- 9/23 UNC- 10/20
Accepted (indicate school attending): Attending Minnesota- also accepted to UNC

PCAT- 91
GPA(Overall, Science)- 3.4, 3.2

President and founder of the pre-phamacy club
President of the chemistry society
1 yr tech experience
Band

Date PharmCAS was mailed: 10/29/11

Interview Invitation Extended for (school name): The University of Oklahoma & The University of Arizona

Date Interview Scheduled: OU-1/14/11 & UofA- 1/20/11

Accepted (indicate school attending): OU-waitlisted, UofA-accepted

PCAT: 71

GPA(Overall, Science): (3.66,3.84)

Extracurricular/Experience: 200+ combined volunteer hrs at an adult and pediatric inpatient pharmacy, 1 semester as the pre-pharmacy club's secretary, and 2 semesters as the club's president.

I also shadowed a nuclear pharmacists for a day. That was awesome!

Date PharmCAS was mailed: August 14, 2011

UCSF, USC, UCSD, UNC, OSU (withdrew), UMD-Baltimore (withdrew)

Date Interview Scheduled: UCSF (early feb), USC (Jan), UCSD (Jan), UNC (Oct)
Accepted (indicate school attending): UCSF (attending), USC, UCSD, UNC

PCAT: 91
GPA(Overall, Science): 3.5/3.5

Research w/ Pubs 3 years
Volunteer tutor
Shadowed 5 clinical pharmacists
Volunteered at an inpatient pharmacy
Summer intern at a biopharmaceutical company

Date PharmCAS was mailed: 10/11
Interview Invitation Extended for (school name): Purdue University, Butler University, Manchester COP
Date Interview Scheduled: Purdue 2/27, Manchester 3/3, Butler 3/16
Purdue, Butler--attending Waitlisted, Creigton Distance, Manchester
PCAT 92 (but I had a 27 Quant....)
GPA(Overall, Science) 3.45, 3.3

Extracurricular/Experience: 1yr retail, 3.5 years hospital, nationally certified tech. BA. Journalism, varied volunteer experience both academic and not, non-traditional student. More than one interviewer commented on how I must be a very efficient time manager (which schools LOVE) because I have two children.

Date PharmCAS was mailed: 9/5/11
Supplemental Submitted: 9/14/11
Interview Invitation Extended for (school name): Midwestern University - Glendale, 9/17/11
Date Interview Scheduled: MWU-CPG 9/30/11
Accepted (indicate school attending): MWU-CPG 9/30/11

PCAT 94, lowest score 77 in RC
GPA(Overall, Science) 3.69 cGPA; 3.91 sGPA

- 120 hours / 2 years in med room at a non-profit clinic for the working poor & uninsured (other volunteer work, but this is the most relevant)
- 7 years work experience at the same company, including leadership role (team lead) & project lead experience
- CPhT for 5 years
- AZ resident (in state for my school)

PCAT
GPA(Overall, Science)

Went ahead and modified the title so that there would be no confusion between this thread and the Roll Call thread.

Date PharmCAS was mailed: Feb 1
Interview Invitation Extended for (school name): Temple University
Date Interview Scheduled: Originally scheduled 22-Feb for 14-Mar, but a spot opened up on 29-Feb
Accepted (indicate school attending): Temple (attending), accepted 29-Feb

PCAT 94
GPA(Overall, Science) 2.8, 2.5

Extracurricular/Experience: Working more or less full time as a retail pharmacy tech (CPhT), plus I've volunteered at a cancer hospital since I was 15. I also had a bit of research experience in 12th grade/ freshman year of college.
I know my GPA is really awful, but I guess I was really really strong in every other category (PCAT, LOR, experience, interview), so that made up for it. Undergrad isn't fun for commuters working their way through- the stars just aligned and someone smiled down on me!

Date PharmCAS was mailed: E-Submitted 9/6/11, Mailed 9/26/11
Interview Invitation Extended for (school name): University of Michigan, University of Illinois at Chicago
Date Interview Scheduled: Michigan (November), UIC (January)
Accepted (indicate school attending): University of Illinois at Chicago

PCAT: 70
GPA(Overall, Science) 3.54 cumulative, 3.3 science

Extracurricular/Experience: 4 & 1/2 years as pharmacy technician, working as lab assistant in undergrad biology labs, hospital volunteering, pre-pharm club, undergrad research assistant.

Members don't see this ad :)
Date PharmCAS was mailed: E-Submitted in December, Mailed sometime in January
Interview Invitation Extended for (school name): University of Minnesota, University of Iowa, Creighton, U of Neb Med Center, and others which I declined.
Date Interviews Scheduled: February and March (stressful 2 months!)
Accepted (indicate school attending): U of Neb Med Center
PCAT: 80
GPA(Overall, Science) 3.88 cumulative; around 3.7 for science
Extracurricular/Experience: No practical pharmacy experience, RA for one year, Member of a few honor societies, Intramural sports.
As you can see my extracurriculars were probably the weakest part of my app, but I had very good LOR's from a professor, clergy, and a pharmacist

Date PharmCAS was mailed: 12/15
University of Houston : 01/27. Accepted. Attending
Texas Tech University: -1/18. Accepted
University of Minnesota: 03/26 Declined interview

PCAT: 99 percentile
GPA(Overall, Science): 3.77/ 3.90

1 year hospital inpatient volunteer.
Shadowed retail pharmacists.
100 hours pre pharmacy volunteer
SGA officer one year. Several Honor societies

Date PharmCAS was mailed: 03/10/2012
Interview Invitation Extended for (school name): University of Charleston, Southwestern Oklahoma State, Albany College of Pharmacy
Date Interview Scheduled: 03/25/2012, 04/05/2012, Declined
Accepted (indicate school attending): University of Charleston (attending), SWOSU

PCAT 71
GPA(Overall, Science) 3.01, 3.4

Extracurricular/Experience: CPht for two years in a county hospital which means more responsibilities than privately owned hospitals. Certified to make and handle chemotherapy and sterile compounds. Published research for the pharmacy. 1 year CPhT at Walgreens. Making an alternate pre-pharmacy organization.

Last edited:
Date PharmCAS was mailed: 11/28
University of Houston : 01/12. Accepted. Attending
Texas Tech University: 02/17. Declined interview
Texas A&M: 02/10 Declined interview

PCAT: 74 percentile
GPA(Overall, Science): 3.93/ 3.88

100 hours of pharmacy voluteering at the hospital.
75 hours of volunteering at a free clinic.
Certified pharmacy tech at Walgreens.
Undergraduate research project for one semester.

I was lucky enough to receive an answer from my first choice so I didn't need to attend the other two interviews.

Last edited:
Date PharmCAS was mailed: July 2011
Interview Invitation Extended for (school name): Shenandoah University, Midwestern CCP, Notre Dame of Maryland, St Josephs SOP and Roseman University. Also received invitations form UH-Hilo, PCOM, WNE- COP but did not attend.
Date Interview Scheduled: Oct, Nov, 2011, and interviewed at Roseman Feb 21st 2012 (waitlisted)
Accepted (indicate school attending): Midwestern CCP (attending), Shenandoah, St Josephs, Notre Dame.

PCAT- 64
GPA(Overall, Science) 2.94, 2.6

-About 200 hours of Pharmacy experience
-40 hours volunteering in a chiropractic clinic
-dance

Date PharmCAS was mailed: 08/28/2011
Howard University: 10/15/2011 Accepted and Attending
Shenandoah University: 11/30/2011 Interview declined

PCAT: 80 percentile
GPA(Overall, Science): 2.8/ 4.0

Shadowed a hospital pharmacist

Date PharmCAS was mailed: October 2011
Interview Invitation Extended for (school name): November 2011 UH Hilo
Date Interview Scheduled: December 9, 2011
Accepted (indicate school attending): March 2,2012 UH Hilo

PCAT: 51 (I think? Don't really remember!)
GPA(Overall, Science): 2.92, 3.67

Extracurricular/Experience: 8 years military/pharmacy technician (outpatient, inpatient, vault, supply, and ER pharmacy tech)

Last edited:
Date PharmCAS was mailed: late August
Interview Invitation Extended for (school name): Mercer University (only school applied to)
Date Interview Scheduled: October 14
Accepted (indicate school attending): Mercer University

PCAT: 45 composite....biology 87; chemistry 64
GPA(Overall, Science): 2.65 overall, 3.1 master's degree

Extracurricular/Experience: over 10 years of pharmacy tech experience

Date PharmCAS was mailed: never, my school doesn't use it.
Interview Invitation Extended for (school name): University of Kansas 3/16 (only school applied to)
Date Interview Scheduled: 3/24
Accepted (indicate school attending): University of Kansas

PCAT: composite 62, biology 80, chemistry 48
GPA(Overall, Science): 3.19

Extracurricular/Experience: 6 years in a retail pharmacy as a CPhT

Date PharmCAS was mailed: in August.
Interview Invitation Extended for (school name): Touro University California (only school applied to)
Date Interview Scheduled: 4/25/2012 (Very Late!)
Accepted (indicate school attending): Touro University California (attending)

PCAT: None
GPA(Overall, Science): 3.3, 3.02 (Un-calculated Graduated GPA: 3.53)

CPhT since 2009
Researched under professor for a summer and semester
Volunteered at a Hospital Emergency- Patient Care for a 1 year
Volunteered at a Hospital Inpatient Pharmacy for a summer
Volunteered at a Geriatrics/ Consultation Pharmacy and being trained as a technician since Jan 2012
Helped establish the Case Management Program for Touro's Student Run Health Clinic

Last edited:
I don't want to harsh anybody's mellow here, but some of these numbers for PCATs and GPA seem kind of low. Is this the norm? :confused:

No joke, my GPA dropped a lot when I entered pharmacy school. If I was entering with a lower GPA, I would be worried...

I don't want to harsh anybody's mellow here, but some of these numbers for PCATs and GPA seem kind of low. Is this the norm? :confused:

No joke, my GPA dropped a lot when I entered pharmacy school. If I was entering with a lower GPA, I would be worried...

What is your point? Are you here trying to help? Everyone has reasons for low PCAT's and GPA's. You can't just assume that they're incapable of handling the course material or anything like that. Take me for instance, I scored low on my PCAT because I just flat out did not study for it! My science GPA and especially my overall GPA is on the lower side because of classes that I took a long time ago when I didn't know what I wanted to do with my life and therefore did not take college seriously. Seems that if your GPA took a serious hit now that you're in pharmacy school you should worry more about that.

What is your point? Are you here trying to help? Everyone has reasons for low PCAT's and GPA's. You can't just assume that they're incapable of handling the course material or anything like that. Take me for instance, I scored low on my PCAT because I just flat out did not study for it! My science GPA and especially my overall GPA is on the lower side because of classes that I took a long time ago when I didn't know what I wanted to do with my life and therefore did not take college seriously. Seems that if your GPA took a serious hit now that you're in pharmacy school you should worry more about that.

GPA and PCAT do correlate with the ability to get through pharmacy school. Of course they are not causative, but there is a correlation (Google for PCAT Predictive Validity Study if you are interested). Just plan to study your pants off; school was more work than I had expected.

We all have reasons for the times we didn't perform at our best, but not all reasons are valid or good excuses. Yes, my GPA dropped a bit. That's pretty normal for a graduate program, especially the first year. I'm still floating along above the middle of the pack, but I won't lie: it's no walk in the park.

The reason the GPAs and PCATs on here are notable is that so often SDN seems to be brimming with scores that seem impossibly high. This seems to be a change, and I'm wondering if pharmacy isn't experiencing a drop in the level of competitiveness to enter.

It certainly is less competitive. 130 schools. The newest 60 will take anyone willing to pay tuition. Our profession is gaining respect with the pharmd title and expanding role in healthcare and losing respect because any person of mediocre intelligence can get into pharmacy school

I'm blown away by the complete ignorance of the P2 interns that show up for the summer. Most dont even know how to prep an IV or chemo

It certainly is less competitive. 130 schools. The newest 60 will take anyone willing to pay tuition. Our profession is gaining respect with the pharmd title and expanding role in healthcare and losing respect because any person of mediocre intelligence can get into pharmacy school

no its losing respect b/c most of the Ftards in pharm school have never set foot in a pharmacy.

Date PharmCAS was mailed: I submitted on August 9th.

Midwestern CCP
Concordia
Albany College of Pharmacy and Health Sciences (Vermont)
Creighton University.
Shenandoah

Albany College of Pharmacy and Health Sciences: October 7th
Midwestern CCP: October 14th
Creighton: January 17th
Concordia: turned down interview.
Shenandoah: turned down interview

Midwestern CCP (probably attending)
Albany College of Pharmacy and Health Sciences (Vermont)

PCAT
Verbal Ability: 89
Biology: 91
Reading Comprehension: 76
Quantitative ability: 64
Chemistry: 90
Composite: 89

GPA(Overall, Science)
Overall: 3.25
Science: 3.19

-Around 85 hours volunteering at major hospital, though mostly non-clinical.
-Member of 2011 Senior Class Council (involved in philanthropy, putting on events for seniors).
-Founding member (though not official founder) of public speaking club; unfortunately, the club formed during my last quarter at my university, so I couldn't do much.

I'm blown away by the complete ignorance of the P2 interns that show up for the summer. Most dont even know how to prep an IV or chemo

no its losing respect b/c most of the Ftards in pharm school have never set foot in a pharmacy.

Many P1s come in with no experience, but this doesn't seem to differ from the past. Pharmacists I know in their 50s and 60s also came into school with no experience, or if they had any experience it was due to a family pharmacy. Traditionally medical students also come to the medical world with no on-the-job experience and it hasn't hindered them as doctors.

I agree that experience is really helpful and I really think all students should come into the field with experience (so they are sure this is what they want to do for the rest of their life), but knowing how to prep an IV or chemo isn't going to guarantee you can pass through pharmacy school. Besides, learning how to do IVs isn't incredibly hard, and is something most people can learn on-the-job. There is an entire year of rotations built into pharmacy programs, so knowing everything about how pharmacies work and run doesn't really need to be a prerequisite. Additionally, working retail is nothing like working hospital...so even if a student teched in a community setting, they wouldn't necessarily be super familiar with IVs (and definitely not chemo), beyond what they learned in their lab classes at school.

Exactly! A couple of pharmacy students had a rotation at the hospital that I am currently a tech. at and I was shocked at just how little they knew. All of them could boast about how high their GPA or PCAT scores were, but none of them knew how to compound in the IV hood. They stuck acyclovir bags in the fridge, were unsure why some patients were in negative pressure rooms and were all around scared to dig in and learn. Sorry folks, but a high GPA in the end doesn't always mean you are going to be a great pharmacist. It just means you are a good test taker with great study discipline.

Exactly! A couple of pharmacy students had a rotation at the hospital that I am currently a tech. at and I was shocked at just how little they knew. All of them could boast about how high their GPA or PCAT scores were, but none of them knew how to compound in the IV hood. They stuck acyclovir bags in the fridge, were unsure why some patients were in negative pressure rooms and were all around scared to dig in and learn. Sorry folks, but a high GPA in the end doesn't always mean you are going to be a great pharmacist. It just means you are a good test taker with great study discipline.

:thumbup:

I agree there are plenty of idiots in pharmacy school, but I don't think it's fair to consider them idiots for not knowing all the details of hospital pharmacy. Sure there's people who never have stepped foot in a pharmacy, but even more often most of them worked retail. And depending where they are in their program they may not have been taught compounding skills yet... even if they have, it's a skill that takes months to perfect and I think most classes don't spend that much time on it. Also learning the storage of different drugs is something learned over time. They're getting a ton of other information crammed in their heads... it's not that shocking they don't know the storage requirements of acyclovir right off the top of their head. That's an equally bad attitude to have, imo.

Reactions: 1 user
December

Interview Invitation Extended:
Nova Southeastern University
Palm Beach Atlantic
(only ones I applied to)

Nova on Jan. 18th
PBA on Feb 10

Accepted:
Nova - Accepted Feb 9
PBA - Feb 17 (Attending)

PCAT
80 overall

None
GPA 3.2

December

Interview Invitation Extended:
Nova Southeastern University
Palm Beach Atlantic
(only ones I applied to)

Nova on Jan. 18th
PBA on Feb 10

Accepted:
Nova - Accepted Feb 9
PBA - Feb 17 (Attending)

PCAT
80 overall

None
GPA 3.2
Congratulations, but why would you chose Palm Beach over Nova?

What do you consider low?

What do you consider low?

I would expect an average of around 3.5 or above for GPA and PCAT scores of 70+. PCATs in the 60s or below and GPAs under 3.2 (especially when combined together) seem pretty mediocre for pharmacy applicants.

Date PharmCAS was mailed: 9/30/2011
Interview Invitation Extended for (school name): UCSD, UCSF, USC
Date Interview Scheduled: UCSD (1/14), USC (1/21), UCSF (2/04)
Accepted (indicate school attending): UCSF (Attending)

PCAT: N/A
GPA(Overall, Science): 3.5, 3.8

Passion
Interviewed and shadowed multiple clinical pharmacists
Worked for 3 years at a top medical device corporation

Last edited:

Why the hell would you expect every pharmacy student to know not to put acyclovir in the fridge? Sorry but that's ridonkulous. I had no hospital experience when I was hired as a tech at my institution. It took me a year...yes a year...to feel 100% competent in the IV room. You didn't know this stuff at one time either and there is not ample time in the pharmacy school curriculum to teach about storage conditions for every single drug/IV. Only some schools require learning extensively about IV prep. I've been working in the IV room for over 5 years and I'm still learning things! I run that joint on the weekends, too. But, I also don't know EVERYTHING there is to know. I see that as a good thing though...continual learning ensures I won't get bored :D

I will agree that the trend of lower stats + acceptances is somewhat troubling. I will also agree that there are plenty of 4.0 students who don't know a damn thing about how a hospital pharmacy works (or a retail pharmacy, for that matter). There are also a lick of students who came into pharmacy school with mediocre stats and are still mediocre students or worse.

The real questions are:

1. Is the student motivated?
2. Can the student work effectively on a team?
3. Is the student willing to learn?
4. Does the student produce quality work?
5. Does the student finish what they start?
6. Does the student both acknowledge and address their gaps in knowledge?

It's not about whether a student knows not to put acyclovir in the fridge. lol

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I would expect an average of around 3.5 or above for GPA and PCAT scores of 70+. PCATs in the 60s or below and GPAs under 3.2 (especially when combined together) seem pretty mediocre for pharmacy applicants.

I think this is fair. Or if a lower GPA is offset by a high PCAT or vice versa...

I also shadowed a nuclear pharmacists for a day. That was awesome!

Hi, I noticed you are in Arizona. I have worked here at a nuclear pharmacy for 11+ years. Which one did you go to?

I am applying to school in 2013 since I need a year to beef up my resume. I am already nervous since I am 0/4 on getting an interview at Midwestern. Go me!

PCAT
GPA(Overall, Science)

Interview : University of Incarnate word, Texas Tech University, University of Houston, Texas Southern University

Date of Interview: UIW (Feb 25), TTU (March 9), UH (March 14), TSU (April 25)

Accepted : TSU (Attending for now), TTU (Waitlisted), UH (Waitlisted in top 5 right now, waiting for acceptance)

PCAT: 56 (first attempt), 71 (recent)
GPA: Overall and science - 3.4, 3.4

Extracurricular: 1 year of Pre pharmacy association (PPA) at UH, a month of volunteering at a pharmacy

You are being too generous with the PCAT. I would say above an 80 would be good enough for pharmacy school. Preferably above an 90.

The reason people with lower GPA and PCAT are getting accepted is b/c there are too many pharmacy schools and not enough qualified students...therefore some schools will take anyone. It's pretty sad actually.

In an ideal world there would be around 50 pharmacy schools in this country and only people with 3.75+ GPA and 90+ PCAT will get accepted...but too bad the world is never ideal.

You are being too generous with the PCAT. I would say above an 80 would be good enough for pharmacy school. Preferably above an 90.

The reason people with lower GPA and PCAT are getting accepted is b/c there are too many pharmacy schools and not enough qualified students...therefore some schools will take anyone. It's pretty sad actually.

In an ideal world there would be around 50 pharmacy schools in this country and only people with 3.75+ GPA and 90+ PCAT will get accepted...but too bad the world is never ideal.

I like to leave a little wiggle room for candidates that don't test well or had some early screwups in college. Also, the brightest candidates don't always make the best pharmacists (but of course, having the brains never hurts, either). Still, you're right in many ways...though I don't think pharmacy has ever been 3.75/90+ PCAT style competitive.

PCAT
GPA(Overall, Science)

Finally decided to bite.

PharmCAS mailed: Early. Don't remember exact date somewhere around the 20th of August, 2011.

Interview invitation extended: U of Colorado (10/14/2011), Midwestern CCP (declined), Auburn (declined), Minnesota (2/24/2012)

Accepted: U of Colorado, Minnesota Twin Cities (attending)

PCAT: 74 (2010), 96 (2011)
GPA: overall 2.86, science 3.01
BS - Genetics

Extracurricular/experience: 2.5 yrs CPhT at WAG, ~120 hrs volunteering (ambulatory care setting).

This is ridiculous. Whose "ideal world"? This sounds like a vision one would have if they were concerned that they might have to compete for a job rather than be called with job offers their P6 year. Are you dissatisfied with the level of pharmacist salaries or wish them to increase? If your intentions are altruistic, think about how this would affect the rural folks.

Increasing standards to such ridiculous levels such as 3.75+ and 90+ PCAT would yield a pharmacist shortage that would severely cripple (no pun) rural communities, especially in the Midwest and Northwest. We already have a pharmacist shortage there now!

I'm not suggesting lowering the pharmacy admission standards to a level that would compromise patient care. I am suggesting that pharmacy admission standards are appropriate in most of the schools, at least as it pertains to the GPA and PCAT scores, right now. A solution could be to require applicants meeting today's standards to spend at least a year as a Pharm Tech within a pharmacy.

On a completely related note, I had a ~60 year old Pharmacy Directory of a Regional Hospital tell me, "Back in my day, they didn't have a selection process. It wasn't competitive like it is today. If you passed the classes and were warm (i.e. alive), they would let you in. Once you were in, all you had to do was to get C's to get through."