Class of 2016....how ya doing?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
b) I'm ok with pretty much anything but hot damn to cuterebras make me squeamy.

Never heard of these before, but they seem pretty similar to bot flies, except WE can get bot flies. I might be crazy, but I think bot flies are super cool, in that gross squidgy way.

Members don't see this ad.

Never heard of these before, but they seem pretty similar to bot flies, except WE can get bot flies. I might be crazy, but I think bot flies are super cool, in that gross squidgy way.

You're not alone on thinking bot flies are kind of cool. I remember the first time I saw one when I was shadowing a vet. We pulled it out of a beagle. The vet wasn't originally thinking it was a bot fly until the owner mentioned having something similar in the past and having a something pulled out of it. Sure enough it was one and the sucker was huge. I kept poking it with the tweezers.

Cuterebra spp. = bot flies :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
Ewwwww you guys are gross. ;p Botflies are horrible creatures. Horrible, horrible creatures. -shudder-

Orca - I can imagine! This has been a roller-coaster ride of a cycle for you. =) But you're in at a great school, close to home, with (slightly... lol) less loans - it'll be fine. :thumbup:

Cuterebra = bot fly = warble. I've always called them warbles which I guess isn't as common as calling them bot flies.

Marsala, do bot fly larvae sometimes have retrobarbs so you aren't supposed to just pull them out or am I thinking of something else?

Marsala, do bot fly larvae sometimes have retrobarbs so you aren't supposed to just pull them out or am I thinking of something else?

Yes, some species have barbs, so you have to be careful when removing them.

One of the best ways to remove warbles/bots from cattle is to use a 2-liter pop bottle. Squeeze the sides of the bottle together, place the opening over the open warble (the hole) and let the vacuum created by the pop bottle suck it out!

I have never used this method on small animals, though...:laugh:

Cuterebra = bot fly = warble. I've always called them warbles which I guess isn't as common as calling them bot flies.

One of my lab mates went to Panama and became infected with a bot... he was able to get a paper out of it. :rolleyes:

I will attempt to re-rail this thread:
Is anybody else starting to have freakouts worrying that they're forgetting to do something important (like financial aid stuff or sending in a transcript) that will result in their enrollment being revoked? I'm haunted by the feeling that I'm forgetting something, no matter how many times I go over my "new student checklist".

Is anybody else starting to have freakouts worrying that they're forgetting to do something important (like financial aid stuff or sending in a transcript) that will result in their enrollment being revoked? I'm haunted by the feeling that I'm forgetting something, no matter how many times I go over my "new student checklist".

Yes. Everyday at least 10-15 times/day. I think it is a normal feeling. I haven't even started to think about what I need for school. I am just trying to be sure I can move to Scotland at this point. I will worry about the school supplies and other stuff later...wait only 11 weeks left....:scared:

Thank you for reminding me to send in my transcripts!!

I'm pretty sure one our admins at NCSU is going to know me very well considering all the panicked emails I send regarding, are you sure everything is still on track!? You're still letting me come right?! And I hate the waiting for financial aid! I keep thinking that once it's july and that's all sent out, there going to be like, welp you did yours wrong, good luck finding some money and loans. argh, cannot wait until we actually start and I can stop freaking out!!

I am having so much trouble getting my doc to sign Penn's immunization form. I have an immunization record sheet from my doc that I saw in high school (nearly 20 years ago) showing all those immunizations, but the practice doesn't even exist anymore! My current doc is giving me the run around and saying he can't sign it if he can't verify it (which I understand, but I have the official paperwork). He also won't order titers. Frustrating beyond belief.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am having so much trouble getting my doc to sign Penn's immunization form. I have an immunization record sheet from my doc that I saw in high school (nearly 20 years ago) showing all those immunizations, but the practice doesn't even exist anymore! My current doc is giving me the run around and saying he can't sign it if he can't verify it (which I understand, but I have the official paperwork). He also won't order titers. Frustrating beyond belief.

How long ago was your undergrad? Check with them and see; I just forwarded my undergrad's records to Penn and that sufficed.

How long ago was your undergrad? Check with them and see; I just forwarded my undergrad's records to Penn and that sufficed.

I graduated about 10 years ago, but it's worth a shot. Thanks!

I'm pretty sure one our admins at NCSU is going to know me very well considering all the panicked emails I send regarding, are you sure everything is still on track!? You're still letting me come right?! And I hate the waiting for financial aid! I keep thinking that once it's july and that's all sent out, there going to be like, welp you did yours wrong, good luck finding some money and loans. argh, cannot wait until we actually start and I can stop freaking out!!
I'm feeling the same way about Edinburgh's financial aid process. So nerve wracking!
As far as everything else in the process, I called the admissions assistant so regularly on the phone that she knew who I was by my "Hi Victoria!" She even felt obliged to send me a personal good-bye letter when she left to take another job. It was really sweet actually. And no I don't think I drove her to leaving. At least I really hope not...

I'm feeling the same way about Edinburgh's financial aid process. So nerve wracking!
As far as everything else in the process, I called the admissions assistant so regularly on the phone that she knew who I was by my "Hi Victoria!" She even felt obliged to send me a personal good-bye letter when she left to take another job. It was really sweet actually. And no I don't think I drove her to leaving. At least I really hope not...

Now I know why she left.. ;)

Just kidding.

I want to know what is taking them so long with our financial aid. I want to get the ball rolling. Anyone know if they will disperse financial aid early so that it can be used for travel.

Had my first "retroactively rejected from vet school" dream last night! Hopefully also the last.:xf:

Eeeeee! I'm moving in ~2 months. So exciting/scary. I've never lived on my own before, either, so there's that added stress (I do have a roomie, but still technically 8 hours away from my house). Everyone on my class' facebook page has been super awesome, but there's also the pressure of not knowing anyone going in (except for a few random people from SDN--LOL). Someone tell me it will all be fine and that I won't fail out and I'll make friends and be fine living on my own in a strange city.

Okay. Done freaking out. Back to your regularly scheduled programming.

Someone tell me it will all be fine and that I won't fail out and I'll make friends and be fine living on my own in a strange city.

Someone needs to tell me, too, please! :laugh::scared::laugh:

You guys are gonna be fine! Just remember that friends aren't made in a day and even though you might feel left out or lonely at first, it takes time for social things to work themselves out and that who is friends with who shifts around plenty from the early days. I didn't even go to any orientation events or class parties and I have more friends (vet school and non vet school) than I have time to spend time with.

Also, nothing helps you feel better like adopting a new fuzzy friend if you don't already have one :)

I agree with Bunnity! I'm excited to have so many new experiences ahead of me. I don't see how we will have time to feel lonely with so much going on. DVMD, you're going to love Edinburgh. Howister, Yann, my roomie (an SDN lurker), and I are all going hiking up to Arthur's Seat together (once we all get over there of course). We're going to drag you all the way up there if we have to! And anyone else from SDN for that matter. :)

I agree with Bunnity! I'm excited to have so many new experiences ahead of me. I don't see how we will have time to feel lonely with so much going on. DVMD, you're going to love Edinburgh. Howister, Yann, my roomie (an SDN lurker), and I are all going hiking up to Arthur's Seat together (once we all get over there of course). We're going to drag you all the way up there if we have to! And anyone else from SDN for that matter. :)

Awesome view from up there!

Y'all will be fine! I have moved across country twice (for no reason, I just have the traveling bone), leaving everything and everyone I know. It always works out and turns into an awesome adventure:D

Plus DVMdream-you are going to freaking Scotland! It's going to be amazing and I'm super jealous. RVC was my first choice until the husband veto'd moving to another continent.

That being said, I'm leaving my home of 12 years and I'm getting a little sad. At first it felt like I had all the time in the world to see everyone a bunch before I left. Now it's 2 months until we leave and time is just speeding up and I'm running out of time. I let my roots get too long and deep in this place. I don't really want to leave:(
I guess I should see above and take my own advice.

Someone tell me it will all be fine and that I won't fail out and I'll make friends and be fine living on my own in a strange city.

You will be fine :)

I am SO excited about a new city! Not that I will have too much free time to take it in, but I'm looking forward to checking out new restaurants and parks and trails, etc. I'm also kinda cheating, in that my parents only live ~2.5hours away, and I have an aunt and uncle and some undergrad friends who already live there.

What I'm really worried about are my study habits, as in, I am a study eater. Apparently I concentrate better if I eat while I study, or I can't study if I have an empty stomach. Or I get bored and I just want a little snack. And I even snack on healthy things like almonds and granola and dried fruit, but I guess eating helps me concentrate??

That being said, I'm leaving my home of 12 years and I'm getting a little sad. At first it felt like I had all the time in the world to see everyone a bunch before I left. Now it's 2 months until we leave and time is just speeding up and I'm running out of time. I let my roots get too long and deep in this place. I don't really want to leave:(
I guess I should see above and take my own advice.

We'll take good care of you in Blacksburg. =)

It's certainly no quick replacement for a longtime home, but the sense of community that place has is undeniable. If nothing else, we'll hit Sharkey's for $3 Long Islands and everything will be aaaalll better. ;)

What I'm really worried about are my study habits, as in, I am a study eater. Apparently I concentrate better if I eat while I study, or I can't study if I have an empty stomach. Or I get bored and I just want a little snack. And I even snack on healthy things like almonds and granola and dried fruit, but I guess eating helps me concentrate??

I COMPLETELY understand this! If I don't have Corn Nuts and a Passion Tea Lemonade from Starbucks (and most of the time I have Biscoff cookies and Sour Patch Kids as well) I just simply cannot study. Especially the Corn Nuts. I don't think people in the library appreciate them though :oops:. It is hard for me to concentrate without them. My friends in college literally brought me these everytime I studied :rolleyes:.

I COMPLETELY understand this! If I don't have Corn Nuts and a Passion Tea Lemonade from Starbucks (and most of the time I have Biscoff cookies and Sour Patch Kids as well) I just simply cannot study. Especially the Corn Nuts. I don't think people in the library appreciate them though :oops:. It is hard for me to concentrate without them. My friends in college literally brought me these everytime I studied :rolleyes:.

People in the library do NOT appreciate me either! I am THAT girl!:p I used to try to find study rooms so that I could eat (secretly) and still learn things.

People in the library do NOT appreciate me either! I am THAT girl!:p I used to try to find study rooms so that I could eat (secretly) and still learn things.

I also learned to try and open the bags before I got in the library, and pour out the corn nuts onto a napkin so I don't make noise everytime I reach in the bag... which is basically every 7 seconds or so :p

In fact, my friend sent me a monster sized bag of Corn Nuts across country last week because I was talking to her about not being able to study for my classes right now :laugh:

I also learned to try and open the bags before I got in the library, and pour out the corn nuts onto a napkin so I don't make noise everytime I reach in the bag... which is basically every 7 seconds or so :p

In fact, my friend sent me a monster sized bag of Corn Nuts across country last week because I was talking to her about not being able to study for my classes right now :laugh:

This made me seriously laugh out loud Emiloo!! I will have to try it ;)

Eeeeee! I'm moving in ~2 months. So exciting/scary. I've never lived on my own before, either, so there's that added stress (I do have a roomie, but still technically 8 hours away from my house). Everyone on my class' facebook page has been super awesome, but there's also the pressure of not knowing anyone going in (except for a few random people from SDN--LOL). Someone tell me it will all be fine and that I won't fail out and I'll make friends and be fine living on my own in a strange city.

Okay. Done freaking out. Back to your regularly scheduled programming.

I'm already getting nervous about this and I have at least another year before I leave. But I too have never lived on my own. I feel like such a weenie, but I'm really nervous about it! We all have to do it sometime though, right?

I'm totally freaking about the move too. I'm not looking forward to crap like adress changes and bank account closures/getting new accounts, blah blah blah. I'm mostly stressed out because I'll be moving 1000 miles with half a zoo :rolleyes:. Not sure how to fit all of us, and all our stuff in one vehicle lol. I'm trying to finish two classes (the most stress), work 50 hours/wk, prepare for a move, say goodbye to everyone, plan a July 4th party for 75+, and start packing to leave a week later. Ahhh!!!:eek:

I'm totally freaking about the move too. I'm not looking forward to crap like adress changes and bank account closures/getting new accounts, blah blah blah. I'm mostly stressed out because I'll be moving 1000 miles with half a zoo :rolleyes:. Not sure how to fit all of us, and all our stuff in one vehicle lol. I'm trying to finish two classes (the most stress), work 50 hours/wk, prepare for a move, say goodbye to everyone, plan a July 4th party for 75+, and start packing to leave a week later. Ahhh!!!:eek:

That is nuts!!! One day at a time, Emiloo. :) Make sure you have a lot of fun at your party! :hardy:

We'll take good care of you in Blacksburg. =)

It's certainly no quick replacement for a longtime home, but the sense of community that place has is undeniable. If nothing else, we'll hit Sharkey's for $3 Long Islands and everything will be aaaalll better. ;)

Thanks! Yeah Blacksburg seems awesome and I am excited to be going to such a cool town. My husband came with me to the interview and loved it there as well.
And we are both nearly always down for some cheap drinks with cool people:D
Sigh of relief....so glad I found out about SDN and (kinda) met some of my future classmates.

Whoa. Your moving drama just made me feel better about my own.

I have to move a zoo too! And I know I'm only moving about 2 hours away, but it looks like I'm going to be doing it in 3 trips: Trip #1 Rabbit & chinchilla + my stuff, Trip #2 more of my stuff + moving truck, Trip #3 everything else + the dog. All in a five day time period. Luckily I have a friend who is willing to watch my puppy while I move all the big stuff.

I couldn't imagine doing it in one trip for a long drive, eep!:eek:

Yikes!! I couldnt imagine having to go that far too! I would be doing some serious down sizing if that was the case!! Hang in there Emiloo! The end is in sight!!!! :D

i'm pretty stinkin excited to move. TWO WEEKS and we officially close on our house and I'm off! Definitely going to consist of multiple trips. We have an official move day for my dad to help with furniture, but the rest of my crap is scattered between my parents and sisters' house....sooo that may take awhile....

Now I know why she left.. ;)

Just kidding.

I want to know what is taking them so long with our financial aid. I want to get the ball rolling. Anyone know if they will disperse financial aid early so that it can be used for travel.

Sadly they do not.... in fact, you won't get your financial aid until half way through September, so make sure you have enough funds for the first month of school to get you started. It sucks, but that is just how it is.

That is nuts!!! One day at a time, Emiloo. :) Make sure you have a lot of fun at your party! :hardy:

Thanks y'all. I plan on having TONS of fun at the party ;)
I forgot to add that I will most likely be ending my 4 year relationship with someone who's practically picking out a ring :smack::ninja::help:
The classes are definitely the most stress.. well and ^that. And I am DEFINITELY downsizing. I've already decided that what doesn't fit, gets sold... but who's gonna sell it for me? :shrug:

However, I did just get pictures today from the people currently in our apartment and I am SOOO excited! I :love: the place! :clap:
Definitely downsizing by 2,000 sg ft though :scared:
Oh life's adventures... :D:cool:

Sadly they do not.... in fact, you won't get your financial aid until half way through September, so make sure you have enough funds for the first month of school to get you started. It sucks, but that is just how it is.

Wait, seriously?

Guess the school doesn't make us pay tuition till later?? :shrug:

Wait, seriously?

Guess the school doesn't make us pay tuition till later?? :shrug:

Yep totally serious - all schools are aware of this and realize when the money will come to them, so you will be set that way - just sucks when it comes to fronting the money for rent and what not.

69 days til I move to Columbus. It's my first time moving out too NStarz. I'm super excited about it.

Yep totally serious - all schools are aware of this and realize when the money will come to them, so you will be set that way - just sucks when it comes to fronting the money for rent and what not.

Well my rent is due August 1st. Our finaid is delivered aug 13. Guess whose scrimping and saving now??

I had a whole argument this morning with mother about sleeping on a blow up bed. She says to sleep on it for a couple months. I say sleep on it until August 13th

I had a whole argument this morning with mother about sleeping on a blow up bed. She says to sleep on it for a couple months. I say sleep on it until August 13th

I agree with you. Vet school will be hard WITH a decent night's sleep. You need a real mattress.
I've been arguing with myself over whether or not I should splurge on my dream bed to help me through vet school. Background: I LOVE to sleep and am sharing a 4-5 year old queen bed with my giant husband (6ft 4in) and my 50lb doggie. My sleep is being compromised and I'm getting very squished (I'm 5 ft). I want more than almost anything a California King Tempur-pedic. I dream of this bed. It costs over $2000....