Class of 2016....how ya doing?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I agree with you. Vet school will be hard WITH a decent night's sleep. You need a real mattress.
I've been arguing with myself over whether or not I should splurge on my dream bed to help me through vet school. Background: I LOVE to sleep and am sharing a 4-5 year old queen bed with my giant husband (6ft 4in) and my 50lb doggie. My sleep is being compromised and I'm getting very squished (I'm 5 ft). I want more than almost anything a California King Tempur-pedic. I dream of this bed. It costs over $2000....

If you don't need a laptop... buy a bed instead! :D

Members don't see this ad.

I agree with you. Vet school will be hard WITH a decent night's sleep. You need a real mattress.
I've been arguing with myself over whether or not I should splurge on my dream bed to help me through vet school. Background: I LOVE to sleep and am sharing a 4-5 year old queen bed with my giant husband (6ft 4in) and my 50lb doggie. My sleep is being compromised and I'm getting very squished (I'm 5 ft). I want more than almost anything a California King Tempur-pedic. I dream of this bed. It costs over $2000....

Another tech, one of our vets, and I were just having this discussion this evening about how freaking important a good mattress is and how crazy changes people get when they don't sleep. The vet was basically saying she was almost kind of mean (which is crazy unbelievable for her) with a bad mattress.
I love love love my mattress right now (only 2 years old, but nothing fancy) and don't know how I'm going to figure out how to move it with me, but if I don't, it will probably be what I miss most when I move out. It keeps me sane and happy. Well worth the cost.

Halfway through my first semester of vet school, I upgraded from an ancient twin mattress to a deliciously comfy and expensive queen sized mattress. And I'm pretty sure my stress level plummeted once I started feeling rested. Worth every penny! (Of course... I had to buy the matching furniture set - nighttable, dresser, bureau and all!)

And I have the luxury of spreading myself across that entire giant mattress. No sharing for me (most nights...) ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
Haha. This is kind of one of my concerns. I currently have an ancient queen sized bed. I'm talking 15+ years old. I still sleep fairly well on it, but definitely not as well I used to sleep on it. I was given my aunt and uncle's queen mattress from their spare bedroom, which I don't think we used too often. Only problem is finding an apartment in Philly I can afford that gives me enough room for a queen bed and a dresser and stuff. Womp.

I totally agree that a comfy bed does wonders for reducing stress levels!!! I ended up just buying a memory foam for ~$100 for undergrad. Doubt that I'll be able to haul a mattress to vet school though. :(

Future hubby has told me straight up that we're splurging on a bed and he doesn't care how much it costs.

This following an argument about the budget for our honeymoon.

Apparently a bed trumps a week in Bora Bora but hey - that's my man for ya, I guess. :rolleyes:

I have to move a zoo too! And I know I'm only moving about 2 hours away, but it looks like I'm going to be doing it in 3 trips: Trip #1 Rabbit & chinchilla + my stuff, Trip #2 more of my stuff + moving truck, Trip #3 everything else + the dog. All in a five day time period. Luckily I have a friend who is willing to watch my puppy while I move all the big stuff.

I couldn't imagine doing it in one trip for a long drive, eep!:eek:

I can't look at my fishtanks anymore without thinking about how I'm going to have to move them 120 miles away (without killing the fish).

My husband and I were going to do Tempurpedic....then found this:

http://www.amazon.com/Sleep-Innovat...37K6/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1337950226&sr=8-3

Great reviews, happy customers, WAY cheaper than the actual Tempurpedic brand.

We LOVE our mattress. :)

I have been asking my parents for a new bed. Preferably a bid kid bed. I still have a twin. I would love a full or even a queen size temper-pidic oooooh!

Hehe-I see I hit on an important topic here with my fancy bed lust . Good to know others fantasize about memory foam and pillow tops;)

Members don't see this ad :)
Husband and I have been sleeping in the same full sized bed for almost 12 years. It's still pretty darn comfortable, but every time we stay in a hotel I luxuriate in the giant, comfy king bed until the last possibly minute.

I think we will need to at least upgrade to a queen, now that I saw the prices for those Sure Temp ones!

I have been asking my parents for a new bed. Preferably a bid kid bed. I still have a twin. I would love a full or even a queen size temper-pidic oooooh!

Again, best bet is Amazon.com with their Sleep Innovation beds! Far, far, cheaper than tempurpedic and just as comfortable. I've slept on both, and enjoy them the same. :) If you have Amazon Prime, you can get it overnighted or with two day shipping for little-to-no extra money.

Win-win. :D

So I just printed out my immunization paper that I have to get signed by my doctor to prove I'm vaccinated against all your standard diseases. Apparently Penn will not accept TB test results from anyone outside of the Penn Student Health Service. Picky much??? Or am I being stupid and missing some specific reason as to why test result from elsewhere wouldn't be acceptable?

Again, best bet is Amazon.com with their Sleep Innovation beds! Far, far, cheaper than tempurpedic and just as comfortable. I've slept on both, and enjoy them the same. :) If you have Amazon Prime, you can get it overnighted or with two day shipping for little-to-no extra money.

I have a terrible back and worry about a good supportive mattress. I'm wondering if it would work for me :shrug: :sleep:

So I just printed out my immunization paper that I have to get signed by my doctor to prove I'm vaccinated against all your standard diseases. Apparently Penn will not accept TB test results from anyone outside of the Penn Student Health Service. Picky much??? Or am I being stupid and missing some specific reason as to why test result from elsewhere wouldn't be acceptable?

The only thing I can think of is that they are usually done every year... is yours due? I didn't encounter the issue directly since mine was due anyway.

The only thing I can think of is that they are usually done every year... is yours due? I didn't encounter the issue directly since mine was due anyway.

I got one done a little over a year ago because it was required for my internship at a zoo. Not sure if I still have the records for it, so I'd probably have to get it redone anyways. I just thought it was interesting. And I definitely never got one done every year before then. I think I used to get them done like every 3 or 5 years.

I got one done a little over a year ago because it was required for my internship at a zoo. Not sure if I still have the records for it, so I'd probably have to get it redone anyways. I just thought it was interesting. And I definitely never got one done every year before then. I think I used to get them done like every 3 or 5 years.

Maybe depends on your field. I had mine done yearly when I worked in a human hospital. I had one done at Penn when I started, per their requirements (due to my work history I was required to have one), but I haven't had one done since.

I remember the vaccines etc. being such a pain in the ass but Student Health is awesome once you are actually a student!

The SHS form doesn't require a TB test. When you submit your immunization record online, they ask you of you've had contact with at-risk groups, including the homeless, immuno-compromised individuals, etc. I was shocked that they didn't ask about exposure to primates. So really, it shouldn't matter when your last TB test was unless you're in the high risk group. The form doesn't even have a field to enter the date of your last TB test.

Last edited:

I will have to look into that!!

Oh, I will have to be calling my doc to get my vax done. I believe I am due for Tetanus... last I had it was 8th grade, last TB test... 4th grade.

Probably the biggest benefit of going from Virginia Tech across the street to VMRCVM has been the transfer of my health history form. :laugh:

Still need that rabies vx, though. Every time we get a cat in with no vaccine history, I wonder if it's worth getting chomped. ;)

(Just kidding, of course~)

Edit -
Also, thanks guys, now all the ads on SDN are about Sleepy's mattresses.

Just signed up to volunteer at the shelter learning how to castrate cats with other vet students!!!

Super excited :-D

Got my stethoscope & ordered some textbooks to study... it's finally starting to feel real!

Totally want to do that!! How did you go about doing that already?
Are you in the FB group? One of the club leaders posted the link where you take a few online quizzes, and then get a username/password to sign up & volunteer with the PAWS group.

It's mostly full for the summer, but a few shifts are still open in August.

Are you in the FB group? One of the club leaders posted the link where you take a few online quizzes, and then get a username/password to sign up & volunteer with the PAWS group.

It's mostly full for the summer, but a few shifts are still open in August.

I did look at that. It took me straight to the log in page. But I realized I'm probably not moving to Philly until August (still looking for housing and I need to work for monies) so I'll look into for something to do during the year.

Just signed up to volunteer at the shelter learning how to castrate cats with other vet students!!!

Super excited :-D

Got my stethoscope & ordered some textbooks to study... it's finally starting to feel real!

Double exciting! Which stethoscope did you decide to get?

So I definitely had my first "late for the first day of vet school" dream last night! I didn't end up arriving at school until nearly 8:30pm. I think it's safe to say I missed :p I still have ~3.5 months of summer left, no more of those, please!

Double exciting! Which stethoscope did you decide to get?

Cardiology III

So I definitely had my first "late for the first day of vet school" dream last night! I didn't end up arriving at school until nearly 8:30pm. I think it's safe to say I missed :p I still have ~3.5 months of summer left, no more of those, please!

:laugh::laugh::laugh: I had one of those for my new summer job last week. Vet school's not quite real enough yet...

Did anyone else have a difficult time getting a rabies titer?
I called my PCP, PA Dept of Health, Penn Student Health, Penn Med, Penn Travel Med, & Philly board of health before my PCP called me back and said they could send me to Quest. Sheesh, you couldn't have said that before I spent all day begging people on the phone to tell me where to get a rabies titer? :rolleyes: It's just a blood test!

Did anyone else have a difficult time getting a rabies titer?
I called my PCP, PA Dept of Health, Penn Student Health, Penn Med, Penn Travel Med, & Philly board of health before my PCP called me back and said they could send me to Quest. Sheesh, you couldn't have said that before I spent all day begging people on the phone to tell me where to get a rabies titer? :rolleyes: It's just a blood test!

I had a similar experience trying to get the rabies vaccine series. I guess it doesn't matter if it's a vaccine, test, etc -- as soon as people hear the word "rabies" they're all like "ummm, I'll have my supervisor call you back..... *click*"

Got my big sib :soexcited:, getting super excited about fall.

Got my big sib :soexcited:, getting super excited about fall.
Your post made me remember that I haven't heard about mine yet. Pretty sure it's going to be this week when I know who he/she is. That will make me feel a bit more like this is really happening-Yay!

Your post made me remember that I haven't heard about mine yet. Pretty sure it's going to be this week when I know who he/she is. That will make me feel a bit more like this is really happening-Yay!

:thumbup:

I've been waiting for this e-mail too, hahaha.

I keep having dreams about finally being there. I'm trying really, really hard to remember this is one of (if not the) last summer breaks I'll ever get, but man do I just want to be in Blacksburg!

Our sib program doesn't kick I until probably July. I'm in charge of it (I think) so I should know soon, huh?
Have fun with that. It took forever last time. That might have been because Cassandra and I disagreed a little on quite a few of the pairings...

I got my big sib today as well!!!!!!! :woot:I am super excited! And :xf:on you boyfriend's job OHbunny!

Me too! Super excited! The bf had a job interview today in C-bus, so he should hear something by next week?!?

My BF just got offered a great job today! Hope things go well for your BF as well!!!

Oh wow, haven't posted here in a while! So Sorry guys!! It's been an absolutely insane 2 months!! Its good to see that everyone is as excited/nervous as I am :thumbup:

I really REALLY need a break from school and a lot of people are getting amped, ordering books, planning stuff and preparing... hope I am not the only one who is sitting on my butt eating bon-bons for at least another 2-3 weeks before I get into "vet school preperation mode". :scared:

Oh wow, haven't posted here in a while! So Sorry guys!! It's been an absolutely insane 2 months!! Its good to see that everyone is as excited/nervous as I am :thumbup:

I really REALLY need a break from school and a lot of people are getting amped, ordering books, planning stuff and preparing... hope I am not the only one who is sitting on my butt eating bon-bons for at least another 2-3 weeks before I get into "vet school preperation mode". :scared:

Ummm, I still don't know where I'm living so it's all good. I haven't even looked into books or whatnot yet.