Class of 2016....how ya doing?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Where is everyone at with looking up externships for 4th year rotations? I feel like I am behind.

I've got one solidly scheduled with the Humane Alliance (3 weeks! woo!) and one penciled in with a guide dog foundation (puppies! therio! :D)

I'm trying to do my others nearby... I already am going to be traveling a good bit for my zoo rotations, don't want to abandon my animals with the roomie/bf for months and months at a time. :C

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I am probably not going to do as many as possible, because I think having at least one of your scheduled breaks as time off or time to study for NAVLE is important. But I have just been researching externships related to what I am interested in.

ETA: I am still a bit lost on the externship thing still, but figure it can't hurt to just go ahead and email places.

I just realized I'm replying to the wrong one. Oops, I'm blaming my cell phone and white wine....

I'm looking to move back to my home town, so I'm focusing my externships there . Except for a random one I'm doing at a mobile small ruminant/ camelid practice in NC, just cuz I love those animals:)
I also lucked out because I know everyone either directly or via other people that I will be externing with, so I didn't have to do any big applications with letters of rec. Gotta love the South, it's all about who you know.

I've got one solidly scheduled with the Humane Alliance (3 weeks! woo!) and one penciled in with a guide dog foundation (puppies! therio! :D)

I'm trying to do my others nearby... I already am going to be traveling a good bit for my zoo rotations, don't want to abandon my animals with the roomie/bf for months and months at a time. :C
I am so jealous I applied for a Humane alliance spot last year and they said they were already booked until after we graduate. I am on the waitlist. I really wish that there were someone at our school that would warn us that some externships book up quickly. I think a lot of us will be SOL.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone else have to take the Emerging and Exotic Diseases of Animals and Initial Accreditation Training online course this summer? We do, I'm suffering through it right now. It is mind numbing and I only just started. Only like 36 sections and quizzes to go....

Never heard of this.
It's this course that is the initial step in being an accredited veterinarian to issue health certificates either for companion animals or livestock for travel and export etc.. Our school told us the government requires us to take it. I really hope other US vet students have heard of it, or we're being BS'd big time. That being said, I'll likely do the rest and get accredited after graduation, for additional income purposes.

It's this course that is the initial step in being an accredited veterinarian to issue health certificates either for companion animals or livestock for travel and export etc.. Our school told us the government requires us to take it. I really hope other US vet students have heard of it, or we're being BS'd big time. That being said, I'll likely do the rest and get accredited after graduation, for additional income purposes.

I was always under the impression that you can take those additional courses after graduation, if you want to be certified to issue health certificates. That it was not mandatory. I know of a few vets that took the courses within the months or even a year or a few years after they graduated. Maybe it has changed? I really hope not. :shrug:

I was always under the impression that you can take those additional courses after graduation, if you want to be certified to issue health certificates. That it was not mandatory. I know of a few vets that took the courses within the months or even a year or a few years after they graduated. Maybe it has changed? I really hope not. :shrug:
It's not hard, just really boring like most government training modules.

I am also powering through the accreditation course right now, @CanHardlyWait . Ugh
We were told we need to take the course to become an accredited veterinarian so we can write health certificates etc

I am also powering through the accreditation course right now, @CanHardlyWait . Ugh
We were told we need to take the course to become an accredited veterinarian so we can write health certificates etc
Ok good. Not that you are suffering, but that other schools have to take it too. We are so close to DC and have a public/corporate track so DVMDream had me worried that we were being hoodwinked. I mean, we get credit for it but still. Not my idea of a fun time.

Ok good. Not that you are suffering, but that other schools have to take it too. We are so close to DC and have a public/corporate track so DVMDream had me worried that we were being hoodwinked. I mean, we get credit for it but still. Not my idea of a fun time.

I probably just have no idea since I was in the UK.... I am just behind and will have to figure it out.

I am so jealous I applied for a Humane alliance spot last year and they said they were already booked until after we graduate. I am on the waitlist. I really wish that there were someone at our school that would warn us that some externships book up quickly. I think a lot of us will be SOL.

Yeah, we got pretty much no heads-up on them either. It's ridiculous, especially for focus areas that need to have externships set up ages in advance. I actually only knew about the Humane Alliance because of someone on SDN posting about it a while ago, and kept them in mind.

Does anyone else have to take the Emerging and Exotic Diseases of Animals and Initial Accreditation Training online course this summer? We do, I'm suffering through it right now. It is mind numbing and I only just started. Only like 36 sections and quizzes to go....

Not this summer, but we have it as a class this semester... how painful is it, really? Do you think I could power through it in a weekend and just get it done with, or is it miserable?

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, we got pretty much no heads-up on them either. It's ridiculous, especially for focus areas that need to have externships set up ages in advance. I actually only knew about the Humane Alliance because of someone on SDN posting about it a while ago, and kept them in mind.

Not this summer, but we have it as a class this semester... how painful is it, really? Do you think I could power through it in a weekend and just get it done with, or is it miserable?
It is definitely doable in a day or two. The issue is staying focused...my eyes keep crossing and my mind wanders. It's basically like all of those animal use and welfare certifications that are required to do live animal research, if you've ever done that. Not difficult material just boring stuff about federal regulations, testing requirements, state compliance blah, blah, blah.
As annoying as it is, print out and write on (or download and type on) the provided study guides. They basically provide the answers to the quizzes once they are filled out and force you to at least thoroughly read those sections.

It is definitely doable in a day or two. The issue is staying focused...my eyes keep crossing and my mind wanders. It's basically like all of those animal use and welfare certifications that are required to do live animal research, if you've ever done that. Not difficult material just boring stuff about federal regulations, testing requirements, state compliance blah, blah, blah.
As annoying as it is, print out and write on (or download and type on) the provided study guides. They basically provide the answers to the quizzes once they are filled out and force you to at least thoroughly read those sections.

I had to do federal disaster response training a couple years ago, sounds somewhat similar. Thanks for the tip on the study guides... hopefully I can just bang the whole thing out sometime soon and forget about it for better things during the rest of the semester.

Hasn't been mentioned to us yet. I thought I remember talking to a vet who said she was given the option to take it during or school or afterwards. I've also worked with vets who aren't certified to do them, so I'm not sure it's mandatory. Although the one vet wasn't a recent grad so maybe he just never went and got recertified.

Hasn't been mentioned to us yet. I thought I remember talking to a vet who said she was given the option to take it during or school or afterwards. I've also worked with vets who aren't certified to do them, so I'm not sure it's mandatory. Although the one vet wasn't a recent grad so maybe he just never went and got recertified.
It's not required to be a licensed vet, but if you work in private/corporate med, SA or LA, you will be asked to write health certificates. If you are not accredited, you cannot write health certificates. A definite plus is that health certificates can be a money maker. We do a lot at my clinic (SA), esp since we are located right next to a military base.

Last edited:
It's not required to be a licensed vet, but if you work in private/corporate med, SA or LA, you will be asked to write health certificates. If you are not accredited, you cannot write health certificates. A definite plus is that health certificates can be a big money maker. We do a lot at my clinic (SA), esp since we are located right next to a military base.

Yeah, most vets I know did not get completely accredited until after they graduated. It is definitely something I'm going to look into I just want to be sure I don't have to take that one course prior to graduating. Seems as if you don't have to.

Yeah, most vets I know did not get completely accredited until after they graduated. It is definitely something I'm going to look into I just want to be sure I don't have to take that one course prior to graduating. Seems as if you don't have to.
I am completely accredited because the corporation I dealt with before required. However, we only did 1 health cert every other month and it didnt generate a lot of inclome.

If you are at all thinking about doing LA medicine, I highly recommend becoming accredited.

It's not required to be a licensed vet, but if you work in private/corporate med, SA or LA, you will be asked to write health certificates. If you are not accredited, you cannot write health certificates. A definite plus is that health certificates can be a money maker. We do a lot at my clinic (SA), esp since we are located right next to a military base.

Oh, I agree that it's definitely a plus. I just wasn't sure if any schools kind of pushed it as a requirement. I'll probably do it because I live in an area where we have a lot of people who travel back and forth between here and Puerto Rico. We did the pretty frequently at both the practices I've worked at.

We did them maybe once every other month at the clinics I worked at. I'm not too worried about it, don't need to do it before I graduate and I can become certified after if needed.

We do it (I think it's optional? Not sure) in our "orientation" before clinics.

Had to take it last year. Godspeed!

We were soo lied to then. I distinctly remember being told this was a federal requirement. Oh well. I plan on working with livestock to some extent, so accreditation will benefit me and I'm getting credit for the course.

Definitely making an appointment with a therapist when I get back to Cbus. Having a hard time right now :( Le sigh.

Definitely making an appointment with a therapist when I get back to Cbus. Having a hard time right now :( Le sigh.
I'm sorry NSTARS. Is it the stress of going back?
I am really upset about going back to school. I should just be excited that I will start clinics and finally get to touch animals, but I just see this drak cloud over vet school. I need to find a more optimistic and happy group to surround myself with, but those are hard to find...

I'm sorry NSTARS. Is it the stress of going back?
I am really upset about going back to school. I should just be excited that I will start clinics and finally get to touch animals, but I just see this drak cloud over vet school. I need to find a more optimistic and happy group to surround myself with, but those are hard to find...
Not so much vet school but chronic migraines that have gotten worse + vet school. :/ I'm usually so excited to go back, but I'm legit terrified I'm not going to make it this semester.

Syllabus for junior surgery posted...someone convince I can make it through before I panic and leave school :nailbiting:

Going to see a dr tomorrow to talk about upping med dosage or switching to different anti-depressant/anxiety. Back at school I'm going to resume counselling. :xf: I can get through the semester. Hopeful that I can!

Syllabus for junior surgery posted...someone convince I can make it through before I panic and leave school :nailbiting:

Going to see a dr tomorrow to talk about upping med dosage or switching to different anti-depressant/anxiety. Back at school I'm going to resume counselling. :xf: I can get through the semester. Hopeful that I can!
We're pulling for you! You will survive juniour sugery, I know you can. And if you get overwhelmed, just come down to the hospital and find your favourite fourth years. :)

Reactions: 2 users
Anyone else feeling a bit left behind? All of my classmates are doing awesome things, and I haven't gotten the opportunity to do anything like that yet. I've been on a couple of externships but they were at specialty hospitals, so I didn't get to do much hands on. I feel like most of my friends have done at least a few surgeries at this point (we don't have sx until third year). My friend from the shelter I volunteered at is back there this summer (I've been having some health issues so I haven't been back) and she's from a school that has sx second year. So I'm sure she is so much more knowledgeable about procedures and stuff. I feel like I don't want to go back because I'll be compared to her and it bums me out a bit. Feeling a bit inadequate. :/

Don't let feelings of inadequacy keep you from doing things, because you'll never get ahead!!! And who cares what other people are doing? You just need to worry about what your professional goals are, find whatever opportunities you can, and run with it. I didn't do my first surgery until third year aside from a couple cat neuters, but graduated with 70 solo surgeries or so, including a good number of non routine things. If I had held back because of embarrassment because I was "behind" I wouldn't have had half of those experiences. It's much better to be the slow unknowledgeable kid as a student and get over that, then graduate and still be less experienced as a new vet!

Reactions: 3 users

You absolutely can do this!!!!! We're all rooting for you.

I totally understand the anxiety about going back. I just started having stress dreams, I know its related to the begining of the semester. Sounds cheesy, but this week I started a 21 day meditation challenge. Its online and free. Last semester, yoga kept me sane and I'm hoping adding regular meditation will help also. Anyone that is interested, Google Oprah 21 day meditation (yes, Oprah, I love her. Don't judge) and you'll find it.
Good luck class of 2016!! Only 2 more years- we're already half way done!

I'm anxious to get started. Not feeling much stress on my end. Although, I may subconsciously be stressed because I've had some killer tension headaches lately. This is our last semester before clinics, which we start Jan 2. I'm just so done with vet school that I can't wait to put another semester under my belt. Bring it.:beaver:

Super thankful I saw this thread! I contacted humane alliance and have a 3 week date tentatively scheduled for October of 2016 ! Just have to get it approved through Mizzou and it will be all set- then need to fill out all the paperwork and stuff.! This was the earliest date they had.. looks like it will be right before the NAVLE.. Do yall think that would be a decent time?

Super thankful I saw this thread! I contacted humane alliance and have a 3 week date tentatively scheduled for October of 2016 ! Just have to get it approved through Mizzou and it will be all set- then need to fill out all the paperwork and stuff.! This was the earliest date they had.. looks like it will be right before the NAVLE.. Do yall think that would be a decent time?

Sweet! I just googled them and emailed the guy. Hopefully I'll hear back soon :)

Sweet! I just googled them and emailed the guy. Hopefully I'll hear back soon :)

Yay! Glad to help - I'm doing the three week program, too. I'll be there in January 2016.

Everyone I've talked to who has spent time there really loved it, I'm really quite excited for my time there. Plus, Asheville is pretty much my favourite place in NC, it's an amazingly gorgeous area and has awesome food and breweries for when you're off duty. :D

The incoming first years are sneaking into Blacksburg this weekend - orientation starts tomorrow. I love first years. <3

Makes me excited to get back to school. =) Definitely relishing the final week of my final summer vacation ever, though...!

Not so much vet school but chronic migraines that have gotten worse + vet school. :/ I'm usually so excited to go back, but I'm legit terrified I'm not going to make it this semester.
My chronic migraines have been increasing in intensity and frequency this summer as well, I've wondered it it was related to the unusual weather we've been having. Well I hope yours improve they are definitely no fun.

We just have 3 more quarters of classes/surgery and then on to clinics in March, I feel like time is going to fly by, but at the same time I feel like there is still much I should know that I don't. On top of that of course our school hasn't communicated anything to use about making plans for our clinical year and there are some externships I want to do that have to be scheduled way in advance... so things I think will get interesting.

Classes start Wednesday. Our cardio professor sent out the syllabus today and kind of shocked me into reality. I've just started studying for the radiology exam I should have been studying for all summer.

I'm also trying to arrange for rides to school for me everyday. I can't drive for at least another 3 weeks. I'm gonna miss several classes and labs for physical therapy, which is annoying but necessary.

Classes start Wednesday. Our cardio professor sent out the syllabus today and kind of shocked me into reality. I've just started studying for the radiology exam I should have been studying for all summer.

I'm also trying to arrange for rides to school for me everyday. I can't drive for at least another 3 weeks. I'm gonna miss several classes and labs for physical therapy, which is annoying but necessary.
Eeek, that stinks, Jam. I hope you feel better soon. We had cardio last semester. I am SO happy I don't have that again (though I am taking a cardio elective...glutton for punishment I suppose.) I really enjoyed cardio but it's tough.

just remember all the possible causes of coughing. no. seriously.

Hello Class of 2016!
I have a quick question... that may seem like a no-brainer to most of you but I can't find a clear answer anywhere!
If I am planning on applying to vet school next summer (deadline 10/2/15), must I have all of my pre-requisites completed by this year or can I take some senior year? Thanks!

Hello Class of 2016!
I have a quick question... that may seem like a no-brainer to most of you but I can't find a clear answer anywhere!
If I am planning on applying to vet school next summer (deadline 10/2/15), must I have all of my pre-requisites completed by this year or can I take some senior year? Thanks!

Most schools will allow you to have some pre-reqs your senior year, the number may vary by school. Not sure how the VMCAS is now but i made sure that i listed any pre req as a class i was planning on taking my senior year so they knew i was planning on taking it and not that i didn't have the pre preq for THAT school.

Classes in session. Oh boy.

Got myself a gravity lounger in the corner of the classroom. So I'm comfortable, but can't see the bottom of the screen.