Class of 2016....how ya doing?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I have a crappy lower back (swayed) and bad arches so I'm sure they're a contributing factor.

:(

Hopefully some good shoe will help too.

ETA: shoe(s)... not just one shoe... two different shoes would probably be worse, not better. :laugh:

Members don't see this ad.

We get lottery number Monday for clinics!!!

So excited, but at the same time, how am I supposed to pick what I want 6-12 months in advance. It's daunting to say the least.

Reactions: 1 user
We get lottery number Monday for clinics!!!

So excited, but at the same time, how am I supposed to pick what I want 6-12 months in advance. It's daunting to say the least.
You guys get numbers? Interesting...

Our core rotations are completely random.
The rest of the stuff we get some preferences for, and those are divided up by lottery (a computer). We're allowed 1-1 switches with another student. I think we get our prelim schedules at the beginning of October!!! CRAZY.

Members don't see this ad :)
I planned my "unschedulable" period right before the NAVLE. So I will have off for my birthday and Thanksgiving, which means I can go home and spend time with my family. That makes me happy.

If anyone plans to do a rotation at MSU, you are welcome to crash on my couch.

Predicament:

I want to go into EM, want to do an internship (if they'll take me with my awful grades :/). I only have 3 elective blocks (lame, I know).

I have three practices I would like to do externships at where I would be interested in doing internships. I only get so much leeway with scheduling for rotations, and I'm pretty sure I won't get all 3 scheduled before the match occurs.

I have two weeks available this winter break, but the practice I could go to then only has internal medicine available, not EM. Should I do it anyway just to get my foot in the door? Or should I hope I get all 3 slots before the match 4th year?

I have two weeks available this winter break, but the practice I could go to then only has internal medicine available, not EM. Should I do it anyway just to get my foot in the door? Or should I hope I get all 3 slots before the match 4th year?

Can you not do both for some reason? Or do you start clinics this winter and the practice this winter would be one of your externships?

Won't get information on rotations until November/December.

Right now I have one externship signed up. I might try to find one or two more, but I am kind of limited by money.

I am interested in an internship then I have thought about residency in either emergency medicine or surgery. I don't know which thought. The one externship I have signed up, I am getting a week on Emergency and a week on surgery and they offer residency programs in both areas, so that is really nice.

Need to do some research and see what other places I might be interested in and see if I can do externship at one of those places.

Can you not do both for some reason? Or do you start clinics this winter and the practice this winter would be one of your externships?
Sorry, I don't think I was being clear. I'm in my third year. I'm trying to get one of the three externships out of the way this winter because I won't be able to schedule all 3 that I want to do before the match my 4th year so I want to do one this year when I'm home on break. But they don't have emergency available (it's the time when they're doing internship interviews so those clinicians are tied up elsewhere). So should I go for imed? Or hope and pray that I'll get all 3 scheduled before the match 4th year?

Won't get information on rotations until November/December.

Right now I have one externship signed up. I might try to find one or two more, but I am kind of limited by money.

I am interested in an internship then I have thought about residency in either emergency medicine or surgery. I don't know which thought. The one externship I have signed up, I am getting a week on Emergency and a week on surgery and they offer residency programs in both areas, so that is really nice.

Need to do some research and see what other places I might be interested in and see if I can do externship at one of those places.
I'm also interested in an internship! Not sure about residencies yet--if I did one it would be in ECC. DVMD--depending on where you end up, if you are a practicing ER doc, you can cut your own ER surgeries, so that may be something interests you (GDVs, hemoabdomens, etc.). I don't think that's in the scope of the ECC residency, though. On the other hand, a surgery residency would cover ER surgeries!

Sorry, I don't think I was being clear. I'm in my third year. I'm trying to get one of the three externships out of the way this winter because I won't be able to schedule all 3 that I want to do before the match my 4th year so I want to do one this year when I'm home on break. But they don't have emergency available (it's the time when they're doing internship interviews so those clinicians are tied up elsewhere). So should I go for imed? Or hope and pray that I'll get all 3 scheduled before the match 4th year?

I'm sorry I am still confused. If you have 3 elective blocks during 4th year rotations... then how does the one you do this winter count?

I'm also interested in an internship! Not sure about residencies yet--if I did one it would be in ECC. DVMD--depending on where you end up, if you are a practicing ER doc, you can cut your own ER surgeries, so that may be something interests you (GDVs, hemoabdomens, etc.). I don't think that's in the scope of the ECC residency, though. On the other hand, a surgery residency would cover ER surgeries!

Yeah, my mind changes all the time. Hoping that some time in rotations will point me in the right direction. I go from yes internship! To Yes internship and specific residency to I am so over this school/learning stuff that private practice is sounding good. So I have no idea what will end up happening.

I'm sorry I am still confused. If you have 3 elective blocks during 4th year rotations... then how does the one you do this winter count?
It technically doesn't count, but I can use the 'extra' third elective block 4th year for something that won't require specific timing, like a behavior elective or ultrasound or something like that (that won't need to be done before the match).

It technically doesn't count, but I can use the 'extra' third elective block 4th year for something that won't require specific timing, like a behavior elective or ultrasound or something like that (that won't need to be done before the match).

Kind of up to you. You have a lot of options. Can do the IM one this winter and see if you can get all 3 before the match. Or you can just see if you can get all 3 before match. Or you can do the one at Christmas, do 2 before match, and another 1 in something like you said above. Sorry, I am probably not helping at all... :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
Predicament:

I want to go into EM, want to do an internship (if they'll take me with my awful grades :/). I only have 3 elective blocks (lame, I know).

I have three practices I would like to do externships at where I would be interested in doing internships. I only get so much leeway with scheduling for rotations, and I'm pretty sure I won't get all 3 scheduled before the match occurs.

I would, just to show your face and become familiar. Wouldn't hurt to express your interest in their em program while there! Bonus if all three can get scheduled before match :)

So in high school and undergrad there was definitely a "senioritis" feeling.

I think with vet school I have junioritis.... I am just, ok, yeah lectures. Ok, yeah study. Ok, yeah exam. I think I am just going through the motions now.. just waiting until clinics arrive. Anyone else feeling like this?

Reactions: 1 users
Yeah a bit. My motivation is seriously lacking and we currently have a test like every week. This upcoming week is repro and I'm kind of just like, "meh, hormones..."

Hahah, same. Maybe throw some inhibin and estradiol in there for good measure. I'm kind of annoyed that we have class until 8 PM Thursday night and the exam is at 8 AM Friday...

No fun, i don't envy you at all. Though i think we have a savma lecture Thursday night which starts later.

I think with vet school I have junioritis.... I am just, ok, yeah lectures. Ok, yeah study. Ok, yeah exam. I think I am just going through the motions now.. just waiting until clinics arrive. Anyone else feeling like this?

We called it "atypical senioritis" and it was definitely a thing in our class. Especially second semester of third year. I was pretty damn checked out mentally and really just couldn't give a damn.

Almost got kicked in the head by a horse today. I felt wind in my hair. Thank goodness for fast reflexes.

In other news...we're starting the process of scheduling 4th year rotations. SCARY. And somewhat exciting. And terrifying. Holy crapola--I'm gonna be a vet!

Favourite thing I've found in my therio notes:

Name three ways progesterone helps maintain pregnancy
a. Immune suppression so you don’t kill that parasite

Reactions: 5 users
Today's win: receiving a compliment on my suturing from the instructor

Today's fail: momentarily mixing up tachypnea & tachycardia and forgetting what a "palpable thrill" was called and calling it a "thrilling pulse" during a LA presentation. At least Dr. L found the thrilling pulse amusing.

Overall third year has been more wins than fails, which is a nice :)

Just found out my rotation schedule- small ruminant medicine in April which means BABY GOATS!

And just like that everything starts to fall apart :( Ugh, not a fan of when everything is starting to fall in to place then it starts to come apart.

Anything I can do? I'm on anesthesia, so pretty low key and I have some spare time.

No but thank you. One problem is an issue that happened today in lab (everything is ok now, thankfully). The other problem is sick parents, which no one can fix :( I appreciate the support very much, though.

Do you guys think it would be stupid to look into an emergency externship at a private practice before my clinic starts? I'm thinking of contacting a local practice (I've shadowed in their neuro department), but I'm super nervous because I've never worked in an emergency clinic and I honestly just feel dumb. But I'd kind of like to have 3 externships lined up as that will likely guarantee I get early entry. I still want to try for some more zoo/exotics externships, but they all require like 6 weeks of commitment, which I can't do at that time any more since I already have two other two week externships confirmed.

Do you guys think it would be stupid to look into an emergency externship at a private practice before my clinic starts? I'm thinking of contacting a local practice (I've shadowed in their neuro department), but I'm super nervous because I've never worked in an emergency clinic and I honestly just feel dumb. But I'd kind of like to have 3 externships lined up as that will likely guarantee I get early entry. I still want to try for some more zoo/exotics externships, but they all require like 6 weeks of commitment, which I can't do at that time any more since I already have two other two week externships confirmed.

It might be helpful, especially since you haven't had that experience yet. How many weeks of externship do you get? We get 4, but you are allowed 6. If you want to do more, you lose vacation time.

I am also struggling with externship scheduling length and places as well. Hopefully I'll be able to get what I need from clinics for letters of recommendation when it comes time to go through the match.

It might be helpful, especially since you haven't had that experience yet. How many weeks of externship do you get? We get 4, but you are allowed 6. If you want to do more, you lose vacation time.

I am also struggling with externship scheduling length and places as well. Hopefully I'll be able to get what I need from clinics for letters of recommendation when it comes time to go through the match.

To get Early Entry (meaning essentially start clinics in January), it's recommended we fill all four 2-week rotations with externships (for all of clinics). We're allowed a maximum of 3 private practice externships, but I don't think we have an official cut off on the number of externships we can take. Pretty sure we're allowed to fill up the remainder of our credits with either intramural rotations or externships. I think people tend to do a lot of intramurals do to cost. I've been trying to plan my externships in locations where I could likely stay with friends/family or are within commuting distance because I have no monies (any extra monies is going to wedding things for my friend's wedding I'm in)

Right now, I have two of those four rotations for early entry booked , but they're currently spaced like this : externship ---vacation ----externship ----vacation. If I can't fill those other two rotations (each 2 weeks) I might be forced to actually take them as vacation time. I should be able to take at least one intramural rotation since I already have two confirmed and due to spacing, but it's not a guarantee. And I really don't to use all my vacation time that early.

I guess I just really need to get over my fear of looking like a complete idiot.

I still have only set up one externship because of financial reasons. So like Jam I am hoping that clinic rotations will be enough to get some letters when it comes time for the match.

And I almost died AGAIN today working with horses. Think the universe is trying to tell me something?? (Apparently I'm not doing anything wrong--trust me, I've asked!!)

Got half of my clinics schedule! So excited!

Anesthesiology~~xxx~~~xxx~~~Elective~~~Small Animal Emergency~~~xxx~~~Shelter Medicine and Surgery~~~Elective~~~Farm Animal Medicine and Surgery~~~Equine Emergency~~~xxx~~~Elective~~~Equine Field Service~~~xxx~~~xxx~~~Small Animal Internal Medicine~~~Radiology A~~~Holiday/ECC Coverage~~~Holiday OFF~~~Radiology B~~~Elective~~~Applied Pathology~~~Large Animal Field Services~~~Preventative Medicine~~~xxx~~~xxx~~~Community Practice~~~xxx

XXX--still waiting on some rotations...to be filled with: Soft Tissue Surgery, Orthopedic Surgery, Cardiology, Dermatology, Neurology, Oncology, Ophthalmology, Small Animal Internal Medicine 2, and Small Animal Critical Care

Neutered my first cat today :)

Reactions: 4 users
We schedule our first four rotations on Wednesday, and then get the rest of our required ones next week. I get my pick number for scheduling on Tuesday and I'm more than a tad bit stressed about it... :scared:

Edit: I got number 6 in our class. I'M GETTING CHRISTMAS OFF!!! :soexcited:

Last edited:
First chunk of scheduling done... I can't believe how real this is all becoming! Pretty much just fun things so far, but still:

1 - 2 - 3 - Exotics Extramural - 5 - 6 - 7 - 8 - Therio/Guide Dog Extramural - 10 - Exotic Animal Medicine - 12 - 13 - 14 - Dentistry - Christmas Vacation - Humane Alliance - 18 - Raptor Medicine - 20 - Advanced Avian Medicine - 22 - 23 - 24

I need a sandwich board sign to wear to school that says:
Yes, I'm mixed animal. Why? Because lab animal medicine is more than mice & rats. No, I did not "steal" a spot from someone who is "actually mixed". I have every right to be in surgery this semester & to take the electives I want. Stop harassing me and mind your own business!

Yes, I'm mixed animal. Why? Because lab animal medicine is more than mice & rats. No, I did not "steal" a spot from someone who is "actually mixed". I have every right to be in surgery this semester & to take the electives I want. Stop harassing me and mind your own business!
that's really uncool of people. Sorry you are dealing with it.

Whoever is whining about this is stupid. Feel free to tell them that on my lab animal rotation, I did horses one day and cows the next. Lab animal is ALL OF THE THINGS!

Scheduled my first elective rotation at the place I used to tech at. So excited to be back as a vet student extern! Ooh and we finish the bulk of our scheduling next week. It's getting real, guys.

I had a really cool rotation this week and learned how to do a mass removal, splenectomy, gastropexy, enterotomy, resection/anastomosis, gastrotomy, cystoscopy, spay, and nephrectomy. I am soo much more comfortable with surgery! Third year kinda rocks!

I had a really cool rotation this week and learned how to do a mass removal, splenectomy, gastropexy, enterotomy, resection/anastomosis, gastrotomy, cystoscopy, spay, and nephrectomy. I am soo much more comfortable with surgery! Third year kinda rocks!

Psh. Not for us. It's rough right now. Test Monday on 20 lectures with a presentation due Tuesday and I'm the assistant in surgery this upcoming week. The following week, we have 3 exams. One of which is the same class we have a test in on next week. Then I have a paper due like the next week. And our early entry externship forms are due next week as well.

Sitting here on the bed doing last minute review when I suddenly hear the familiar jingle of the bell on my cat's favorite feather toy. It is a toy with green feathers attached to a red stick and I hold one end and wiggle the feathers around and she chases them... it is her favorite toy and she would play with it non-stop if you let her (unless there are birds outside). Anyway, I can hear her feather toy and of course she has picked up the feathers and shoved them into her mouth so that she can drag the stick behind her and come running into the room with this toy in her mouth and as she comes in the bedroom she lets out the most pitiful meow you have ever heard.

So it is 11:40 at night and instead of going to bed, I have been suckered into playing "feathers" with a cute kitty.

Psh. Not for us. It's rough right now. Test Monday on 20 lectures with a presentation due Tuesday and I'm the assistant in surgery this upcoming week. The following week, we have 3 exams. One of which is the same class we have a test in on next week. Then I have a paper due like the next week. And our early entry externship forms are due next week as well.
Yeah there are rough parts here too. I have 4 tests next week. 2 are over about 30 lectures of very dry material, 2 papers, a videotaped client communication test, and 2 homeworks due next week, but right now it feels kind of awesome.

Too many hours on diabetes...I just can't anymore. We were supposed to be done with it today, but she's like 3 lecture hours behind...

Obligatory diabeetus picture:

0cb7d5d88fe53468046e450937f7eba2.jpg

Reactions: 3 users