Class of 2016....how ya doing?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Too many hours on diabetes...I just can't anymore. We were supposed to be done with it today, but she's like 3 lecture hours behind...

That sounds like a lot of diabetes. We had two hours, one canine and one feline.

Members don't see this ad.

That sounds like a lot of diabetes. We had two hours, one canine and one feline.

She's been lecturing on it for like 4 days...she did cover a few other things but it was like 90% diabetes + human research on it...

ETA: the 3 slide per page handout was 116 pages...normal PPT was 300+...

ETA: the 3 slide per page handout was 116 pages...normal PPT was 300+...

18uzodohufsy4gif.gif

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah...my thoughts exactly.

Now she's touching us adrenal stuff -- 3 slides/page HO = 87 pages, 1 slide/page =267

This is where I start making ridiculous side comments in the notes during lectures.

Like in repro when they told us only one company does embryo transfer and they don't really share the job or allow many people in on it... my note was:

"They are big meanies and won't let anyone join their club"

Or for vaginal prolapse in cattle, he didn't really have the treatment listed so I put "Bye, bye cow".

I am odd though and I have the attention span of Dory in Finding Nemo.

Reactions: 1 users
All the fun of last week has been sucked dry as I enter an entire week on communication, have 3 or 4 tests (who can keep track), and a zillion little tasks. This week is gonna stink.

Professor: Don't worry about that lecture that we didn't cover.

Exam: 50% of the questions are from that lecture.

Ugh. The worst.
I'm paranoids that's going to happen on our final on Wednesday. We didn't get to like 2 hours of lecture because she was behind on her other sections.

I've learned to not listen to professors that say "this won't be on the exam"..because it will be.

Reactions: 1 user
I've learned to not listen to professors that say "this won't be on the exam"..because it will be.

I usually review everything but I wasn't feeling well yesterday while studying and the professor was very specific in we didn't get to these lectures don't worry about this but do look over this part. I looked over the part he told us to that he didn't get to but not the others. It was hard enough staying awake to study for what I had to. Not worried though it wasn't worth that much.

You know you're a third year when...

1) Free suture >>> free food at lunch lectures

2) You master the buried intradermal knot ~1 hour before your surgery practical (I've been practicing...it's taken me this long to get it consistently!!).

Members don't see this ad :)
You know you're a third year when...

1) Free suture >>> free food at lunch lectures

2) You master the buried intradermal knot ~1 hour before your surgery practical (I've been practicing...it's taken me this long to get it consistently!!).

I still can't always get it to lay nicely. I've started just doing Aberdeen knots and smurfing it. :shrug:

I still can't always get it to lay nicely. I've started just doing Aberdeen knots and smurfing it. :shrug:
We weren't allowed to for our practical :( He checked our knots before we tied them.

We weren't allowed to for our practical :( He checked our knots before we tied them.

Ahh, gotcha. Definitely makes it harder to get away with things like that. I've kind of been doing it if I misjudge the amount of space I had for closing, which would make the burying the knot difficult. We haven't really had a surgery practical exam since second year, but they never had us do an intradermal since we didn't have tissue to do it on. Even for our spay dogs we essentially got to use whatever knots we wanted, so I just through Miller's knots on like everything. And then they had us do a three layer closure (all interrupted), so we didn't have to deal with the intradermal layer even then.

I'm primary surgeon for our cat spay tomorrow...so terrified I'm going to black out like I did in the surgery practical last year. I've been reviewing and practicing for hours over the last couple weeks but I feel like it hasn't helped. Wish me luck!

I'm primary surgeon for our cat spay tomorrow...so terrified I'm going to black out like I did in the surgery practical last year. I've been reviewing and practicing for hours over the last couple weeks but I feel like it hasn't helped. Wish me luck!

Good Luck! You can do it! :luck:

Everyone is nervous the first time (and many times after that). You'll do great!

My cats is alive and healthy...I have to keep repeating that to myself so I don't cry. It took forever to find her uterine tube; a surgeon had to gown and dig around for 15 minutes before even she could find it. Then I messed up my intradermal and had to do it again. We were there as long as the large dog spays. I'm so slow :( I have been practicing for weeks but it feels like I'll never get the hang of suturing.

My cats is alive and healthy...I have to keep repeating that to myself so I don't cry. It took forever to find her uterine tube; a surgeon had to gown and dig around for 15 minutes before even she could find it. Then I messed up my intradermal and had to do it again. We were there as long as the large dog spays. I'm so slow :( I have been practicing for weeks but it feels like I'll never get the hang of suturing.

Just get some pigs feet from the butcher (you can special order them at most supermarkets) and practice. You'll get it soon enough :)

Slow is fine. You are still learning. I am really slow with suturing too. It is ok. Better to be slow and accurate than to try to be fast and mess something up.

I'm still really slow and I always have someone triple check that I'm cutting the right thing, etc. I used to feel bad about it but I realized that it's better to go slow and meticulously than to half-ass anything. I've found that the more I suture, the better I get. Hang in there :)

What redhead said. My intradermals are still just kind of okay, and I have to tell someone near me out loud how I'm going to finish it, because I almost always forget how to do it, and I only JUST did a spay this year and that was on a dead rat. You will be fine. :)

We're on fall break! :banana: Going to Florida for the AAZV/AEMV/ARAV conference for the first half of next week, then working the second half, but still happy to not be taking tests.

Successfully performed an eyelid mass resection, lateral canthoplasty, entropion repair, grid keratotomy, superficial keratectomy, and conjunctival graft today in lab. Woohoo!

Coming up with a three year plan for my personal, financial and professional goals is more difficult than I want it to be.
Allow me:
Year 1: I want to be healthy, solvent, and employed
Year 2: I want to be functioning, have spending money, and promoted
Year 3: I want to be alive, able to take a vacation, and vested in a retirement plan
yw

Got most of the rest of my clinical rotations filled in today! All in all looks pretty good, although I'm a little bummed that I have radiology as my absolute last block, as I feel that would be best near the beginning (so I, you know, have any idea what I'm looking at during other rotations!)

Oh, and I have only one open block after Christmas (and it's the second to last), not really sure how that's going to help the job searching. I was hoping to squeeze a vacation in there somewhere..! :p

Last edited:
Got most of the rest of my clinical rotations filled in today! All in all looks pretty good, although I'm a little bummed that I have radiology as my absolute last block, as I feel that would be best near the beginning (so I, you know, have any idea what I'm looking at during other rotations!)

Oh, and I have only one open block after Christmas (and it's the second to last), not really sure how that's going to help the job searching. I was hoping to squeeze a vacation in there somewhere..! :p

I have radiology my 3rd to last block, I think. I'm disappointed, too.

Me either. I don't think it all gets finalized until next semester actually because not everyone skips one or both of the blocks. I think we also still have until January to schedule rotations four our actual clinical year.

We are getting ours next week. So not too much longer of a wait.

Scheduling has been a bear this semester. Grrr. Missed out on two of the electives I wanted because they had limited enrollment. I know professors wanted small classes for discussion purposes, but how does it make sense to have a class with a cap of 20 students in a class of 160?

We get the rest of our clinical schedules next week. I'm excited!

And this week has been a week full of firsts--first intubations (2 dogs and 2 cats!) and first echocardiogram! I kind of stunk at the echo, but it was an awesome experience nonetheless.

Successfully performed an eyelid mass resection, lateral canthoplasty, entropion repair, grid keratotomy, superficial keratectomy, and conjunctival graft today in lab. Woohoo!
Fancy! I would love to get some more optho experience.

We still haven't even discussed Senior year: That is happening next Thursday. But that means that a lot of my classmates haven't scheduled any externships yet! I really think they need to tell us about Senior year before November!

Feeling so behind. Our cardio final is in 2 weeks and I pretty much have to ace it (which is highly unlikely) to get a B. Of course, there are other tests before then.

I'm also pretty bummed that I'm missing our awesome advanced nutrition elective. It is this weekend, which happens to be the Garth Brooks concert so I'll be out of town.

We're currently filling in the last of our elective rotations, and it's pretty much a combo of hunger games and a pain in the butt. Every morning (at 6am, ugh) the system opens and you're allowed to add yourself to one additional block. The kicker is that you can see everyone who is on them, so if it fills up in those desperate seconds while you're trying to add yourself, you can see who "stole" your spot. This has caused a little bit of strife...

I'm pretty thankful that I have a weird focus area and I'm pretty much just going for SA rotations that most people have already had assigned.

Got the rest of my clinics schedule! Not happy because they shuffled a bunch of my rotations around, but I'll make it work :) Also scheduled 2 externships at places I may want to intern at! Live surgeries in <2 months and clinics in 6! Time sure flies.

2 exams this week and then 7 finals in December, and then I am DONE with the classroom and on to clinics! I only have one externship left to schedule, and then my schedule is set. :)

Also, less than 18 months until graduation!

Currently going through the senioritis phase of vet school. It is ridiculous how hard it is to give a flying eff about exams.

2 exams this week and then 7 finals in December, and then I am DONE with the classroom and on to clinics! I only have one externship left to schedule, and then my schedule is set. :)

Also, less than 18 months until graduation!

Currently going through the senioritis phase of vet school. It is ridiculous how hard it is to give a flying eff about exams.

Pretty much in the same boat. We just had our White Coat Ceremony on Friday and we have two exams and and then onto Finals after Thanksgiving. I have a few externships and one of my rotations lined up for January to March and then I enter Small Animal block, which is more classroom oriented again (but all electives and supposedly is like a vacation), but then back into clinics. I have an externship or two I still want to try schedule for sometime in 4th year, so I'll take care of that this week.

I want to go to sleep and when I wake up I want it to be Thanksgiving week... just want to skip the next two weeks... straight into break.

*bump*

Ok, all the other class pages are on the first page.... think it is time ours come back to life, if only to die again during finals...

How is everyone doing?

I hate all the things. But you already know that.

No exams until next Thursday. 7 finals in 8 days. Then we are done! We start clinics January 5th.