Class of 2016....how ya doing?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Supposedly it's like a vacation and pretty laid back so I'm not too worried. Plus it's all electives so it's at least classes I am interested in taking.
We have classes in the afternoons and rotations in the morning. Stuck in the set till May 14th. Do you have class all day still?

Members don't see this ad :)
Second surgery tomorrow. I'm on anesthesia.

Reactions: 1 user
I just can't believe that it is almost March already...

Just slightly over 2 months until clinics. Not sure I am ready for clinics, especially anything equine/large animal medicine related.

I've been in clinics and I'm still not ready for clinics.

Also, got home today from my rotation. Immediately get phone call to come back for a dystocia/c-section cause I'm on the student on call since I switched with a group mate. Hoping that's the only call for the night.

I'm ready for clinics. I mean, I'm probably not ready for clinics, but I am at the point where I'm not really absorbing didactic crap any more and just need to get my hands on animals. I plan to be an absolute idiot for the first couple months, but whatever... I'll be there learning.

I'm ready for clinics. I mean, I'm probably not ready for clinics, but I am at the point where I'm not really absorbing didactic crap any more and just need to get my hands on animals. I plan to be an absolute idiot for the first couple months, but whatever... I'll be there learning.

Yes, this. Exactly this. I am ready in the just can't absorb anything from lectures anymore, but not ready to look like a complete idiot.

Dental externship starts on Monday, which means I need to complete my UofI dental course this weekendo_O... I'm actually pretty excited about the externship. The vet seems very nice. I am not looking forward to commuting on 495, though. An hour of traffic each way, ugh. Maybe I should buy an E-ZPass..

Members don't see this ad :)
Dental externship starts on Monday, which means I need to complete my UofI dental course this weekendo_O... I'm actually pretty excited about the externship. The vet seems very nice. I am not looking forward to commuting on 495, though. An hour of traffic each way, ugh. Maybe I should buy an E-ZPass..

Do it. They're so convenient. I don't actually have one yet, but we got one for my mom's car and it's so nice to not actually have to stop for tolls and such.

We tried on our white coats!!! Getting close :-D

Reactions: 1 users
Do it. They're so convenient. I don't actually have one yet, but we got one for my mom's car and it's so nice to not actually have to stop for tolls and such.
I've been putting it off for 5 years! I don't know if I want to pay the high tolls for the HOV ("hot lanes" now), but I might cave in after a few days of sitting in traffic. Besides, it will be nice to not have to stop and pay tolls in PA and OH when driving to and from school from home in VA.

Me with toll roads:

Channing_Tatum_-_Confused.gif

Us three!! I slept sooo much today, now packing for my RAVS trip. :D
Awesome, have fun!! And totally jealous of your sleep. I got a grand total of 4 hours yesterday.

Hi everyone! Back after a hiatus. I needed a break from things. Last semester and the beginning of this semester were very rough. I lost several family members, continued struggling with depression and getting my medications to the right doses. I had an interaction/adverse reaction with some meds and I spent a couple days in the ER during finals in December. Not ideal, but somehow I passed all my classes and stayed off academic probation :) (wasn't even close, not sure how, but I'll take it!).
I'm not ready for clinics but I'm ready to get out of the classroom! I'm doing much better and I've got some good rotations lined up that I'm excited for. Cannot believe we only have ~1 year left, it's unreal!

Reactions: 4 users
Because you're amazing, duh. (So sorry you were dealing with all that. I was so wrapped up with boards that I didn't even know. :()

No one really knew except SO, sisters, and friend who took me to the ER. I didn't want to stress people out during exams. I didn't tell admin either. At that point, I wanted to be done with school and get off the island so I wrote the exams as scheduled. Crazy, but I guess that's how I roll ;)

Began today with a cadaver lab to practice gastrotomies, enterotomies, OVEs, cystotomies and RnA's. Hated being up and at the school by 8, but overall a fun and productive morning.

Get the ezpass! Totally worth it. (Also, I mentally waved to you yesterday as I drove to Fairfax :D)
:hello:Was your interview in Fairfax? I forewent the ez-pass, and I haven't regretted it until this morning where I got stuck in bumper to bumper traffic at the Springfield mixing bowl..There were 3 separate accidents within 100 feet of each other. :lame:

I'm only half way through my dental externship, and I have already learned so much about veterinary dentistry. It really is a shame how little we learn about dentistry in veterinary school. I will never look at a patient's or pet's mouth the same!! I highly recommend doing a rotation/externship with a boarded dentist.

I can't fathom spending any amount of time with a boarded dentist. We had a boarded dentist come do lectures for us, and I just felt like the things he talked about were things we'd never do in private practice and pretty irrelevant to 99% of the class. They changed it this year so one of the community practice vets does the dental lectures which makes so much more sense to me; I wish our lectures had focussed on things we could actually do (ie - scaling, extractions, taking good rads). Your mileage obviously varies. :)

I can't fathom spending any amount of time with a boarded dentist. We had a boarded dentist come do lectures for us, and I just felt like the things he talked about were things we'd never do in private practice and pretty irrelevant to 99% of the class. They changed it this year so one of the community practice vets does the dental lectures which makes so much more sense to me; I wish our lectures had focussed on things we could actually do (ie - scaling, extractions, taking good rads). Your mileage obviously varies. :)
I had a similar experience to yours- MSU hired a non-boarded dentist to come speak to us for a few lecture hours. Most of it was way over our heads, stuff that we would never do. But he never spent time on the important basic stuff- like taking good rads and how to interpret them, basic dental anatomy and the differences in anatomy between dogs and cats, basic procedures, when to refer, extractions, etc. Considering that veterinarians and techs do a lot of dental work, I think it is important to at least be comfortable knowing the basics (radiology, anatomy, common procedures, oral neoplasia). Since we got none of that at MSU, I am very glad I am doing this externship. Every school is different, I guess. The dentist I am externing with started with the basics, and now we are getting into the more complicated stuff. I definitely now know what I am comfortable doing and when to refer. And that I hope the clinic I work for has a dental x-ray unit if they want me doing any type of dental work.

... They changed it this year so one of the community practice vets does the dental lectures which makes so much more sense to me; I wish our lectures had focussed on things we could actually do (ie - scaling, extractions, taking good rads). Your mileage obviously varies. :)

If we ever get to have the dental lectures and labs, I'll let everyone know how it goes. We've missed all 6 scheduled dental lectures due to snow this week :yeahright:

I had an urge to bang my head against the wall today. It somehow made things feel a lot better. Mentor gave me a weird look when he saw the giant red mark on my forehead. Whatevs. Head pressing equivalent?

I had a similar experience to yours- MSU hired a non-boarded dentist to come speak to us for a few lecture hours. Most of it was way over our heads, stuff that we would never do. But he never spent time on the important basic stuff- like taking good rads and how to interpret them, basic dental anatomy and the differences in anatomy between dogs and cats, basic procedures, when to refer, extractions, etc. Considering that veterinarians and techs do a lot of dental work, I think it is important to at least be comfortable knowing the basics (radiology, anatomy, common procedures, oral neoplasia). Since we got none of that at MSU, I am very glad I am doing this externship. Every school is different, I guess. The dentist I am externing with started with the basics, and now we are getting into the more complicated stuff. I definitely now know what I am comfortable doing and when to refer. And that I hope the clinic I work for has a dental x-ray unit if they want me doing any type of dental work.

Would you be willing to share what clinic you're working with? I'm hearing rumors that my dentistry rotation might not happen, so I'm trying to keep my ears open for other possibilities...

Finals this week and next Monday. Then a day off, then we start transition seminars in preparation for clinics. Man how time flies!

Reactions: 1 users
Finals this week and next Monday. Then a day off, then we start transition seminars in preparation for clinics. Man how time flies!
Oooooh! Good luck! We still have another month of classes or so before clinics :) YOU GOT THIS, JAM!

I got an awesome review from the anesthesia clinicians for my anesthesia rotation. It actually made me cry. It's nice when someone recognizes your passion.

Just got info about orientation for clinics. Holy crap. **** just got real.

Reactions: 2 users
Last day of classes EVER on Thursday. Then finals start Saturday, then into the clinics for my selectives, then into real real clinics after a 2 day orientation.

shocked-cat1.jpg

ahhhh.

Reactions: 3 users
Last day of classes EVER on Thursday. Then finals start Saturday, then into the clinics for my selectives, then into real real clinics after a 2 day orientation.

shocked-cat1.jpg

ahhhh.
GOOD LUCK!!!!! You got this, girl!

Day 1 of our transition seminars. Mark Opperman is talking business. Don't really like the guy, but it could be worse..

That time I got my rotation schedule/info for my small animal ER block (block 2) emailed. Cue freak out session.

Can't decide if I want to give up my vacation in the spring to take Neuro. I really want to take it, but then my only vacation after Christmas until I graduate is the the week immediately after. For the most part, my rotations in this part of the year seem to be a little easier (or so I've heard) and have less hours, so I'm leaning towards it, but also worried about just wanting a break.

Can't decide if I want to give up my vacation in the spring to take Neuro. I really want to take it, but then my only vacation after Christmas until I graduate is the the week immediately after. For the most part, my rotations in this part of the year seem to be a little easier (or so I've heard) and have less hours, so I'm leaning towards it, but also worried about just wanting a break.
...You get more than one vacation?

...You get more than one vacation?

The number of vacations we get is determined by the number of elective credits you have. I have more credits now than when I submitted things for my rotation scheduling because I added a few classes, but I had 6 weeks of vacation in addition to the mandatory 2 we have to take. I also have the week off after Christmas since I'm doing a full holiday shift. I probably could have had a total of 8-10 weeks of additional vacation if I had planned my classes I'm taking now correctly.

Right now I have a two week vacation around when boards opens for studying and one about a month prior in case I wanted to add in the Lab Animal rotation, but since I'm now considering an internship, I might use that (plus the days I have off in an earlier rotation) to visit potential places since I didn't plan externships at any.

ETA: decide to try to add it. It has a 4 person cap, so we'll see what happens.

Last edited:
I'm currently trying to get preceptors set up. If I can get them all approved, I'll be completely done with vet school on this exact day next year.

Guys...I start clinics in three weeks :-D