Class of 2016....how ya doing?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Still in lectures for another week.

Still worried about passing third year.

This is me:
GIF_147547_cuando_ves_al_amor_de_tu_vida_con_el_malote_del_barrio.gif

You'll make it. I know I'll see you on the other side. ;)

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I am not hating my equine surgery rotation.

Two finals left between me and clinics :D

Reactions: 2 users
Wrote my last vet school final this morning then had 4th year orientation. Officially in my clinical year! I would be more excited if my relationship hadn't unexpectedly ended Friday and I didn't feel like my life has been turned upside down :( No idea what I'm going to do with my life except try to get through these first few rotations.

Wrote my last vet school final this morning then had 4th year orientation. Officially in my clinical year! I would be more excited if my relationship hadn't unexpectedly ended Friday and I didn't feel like my life has been turned upside down :( No idea what I'm going to do with my life except try to get through these first few rotations.
****. I'm in town for a few days. Let me know you want to go for a movie or alcohol or coffee or kickboxing or whatever will make you feel better.

Just took my last vet school final!!!! :soexcited::soexcited::soexcited:

The Senior Book went up online that tells us who else is taking rotations at the same time ! Just a little over a week away from clinics with my last day of class tomorrow and my last legitimate final on Monday (rest are take home, open note)

The Senior Book went up online that tells us who else is taking rotations at the same time ! Just a little over a week away from clinics with my last day of class tomorrow and my last legitimate final on Monday (rest are take home, open note)

Last day of class tomorrow for me too! :highfive:

But we have 5 finals next week.... :arghh:

Members don't see this ad :)
White coat on Sunday and clinics start Monday! EEEEEEK! Can someone stop the clock, please? I'm not ready!!!!

Oh K :( At least rotations will keep you busy, I guess. Hang in there friend.

Just spent the past week lambing at a sheep operation. Great experience and I learned a lot about sheep. The family we stayed with was so nice and they fed us very well. On to a new farm next week!

White coat today :happy:

Ugh I am SOOO jealous of you all! I have 6 more finals and 1 more week of classes. Our last cumulative capstone tests start next week for 8 hours and apparently they kicked someone out that failed it last year. I would flip out if I got to 4th year only to be kicked out! I guess I should get off of here and study...

Officially finished my 1st rotation this morning. Equine surgery was amazing, way better than I could have ever imagined. I'm currently rethinking my entire career choices...

Reactions: 3 users
Vacation rotation winding down. Wish I wouldn't have had vacation this early because I had a good rhythm going, but it'll be ok. I'm still trying desperately to make my schedule fit in more equine stuff, especially rehab/sports medicine.

We are graded on rotations using letter grades, and I was told by multiple classes that most clinicians give people a B unless they really suck or really rock. Somehow managed to pull out an A on my n first rotation, an equine rotation at that.

Suddenly, all the miserable feelings, the self doubt, the "why did I do this" thoughts... they are all gone. I'm so happy, happier than I've been in years. I love clinics. I don't mind the long hours and the paperwork, I'm just glad to be where I belong: treating animals.

Reactions: 6 users
I am not a horse person. In fact, one could even say I am slightly afraid of horses given that 2 tried to kill me during our equine techniques class last fall.

This past week has been so amazing. I feel comfortable around horses. I can walk into a stall and do a physical by myself, do a rectal temperature by myself, without freaking out. I am learning so much. And I honestly never thought that I would stay an hour past my shift end to follow a case I was involved in all night because I was genuinely concerned about the patient. I'm really surprising myself.

Reactions: 4 users
I am not a horse person. In fact, one could even say I am slightly afraid of horses given that 2 tried to kill me during our equine techniques class last fall.

This past week has been so amazing. I feel comfortable around horses. I can walk into a stall and do a physical by myself, do a rectal temperature by myself, without freaking out. I am learning so much. And I honestly never thought that I would stay an hour past my shift end to follow a case I was involved in all night because I was genuinely concerned about the patient. I'm really surprising myself.

This gives me hope for my future experiences with horses and life haha

This gives me hope for my future experiences with horses and life haha
I had a similar experience on my first rotation (equine sx). I absolutely love it and am trying to trade out multiple small animal rotations so I can take more equine!

Soft tissue surgery rotation starts on Monday. I'm actually terrified of this rotation, even though many people have told me that it's really not that bad and that all of the clinicians are really nice. I've been having nightmares about being berated by the head of surgery in front of my rotation-mates for not knowing anything. I'm going to start studying today and read over some old surgery notes. I hope the next 3 weeks fly by..

Got in about an hour ago from driving back from Syracuse for my sister's graduation. Anesthesia rotation starts tomorrow. Haven't read the handbook or reviewed anything and just finished the on-call schedule because things earlier this week and this weekend took up more time than I anticipated. And I didn't realize someone was in the rotation because I missed the biit about clicking some link to view the full schedule (why that isn't what you get when you first open the website, I dunno) so I only emailed him for the first time right when I got home about on-call scheduling, etc. I also haven't eaten since like 1 PM so I'm grumpy but too tired to eat/don't feel like I should be eating dinner at 11 PM. Totally not breakdown worthy but for some reason I feel one coming on...

Totally not breakdown worthy but for some reason I feel one coming on...
*HUGS* Totally breakdown worthy. My most stressful moments in vet school, and especially in fourth year, weren't major events, they were usually the culmination of a bunch of little crap happening simultaneously. Usually exacerbated by no sleep and/or food.

*HUGS* Totally breakdown worthy. My most stressful moments in vet school, and especially in fourth year, weren't major events, they were usually the culmination of a bunch of little crap happening simultaneously. Usually exacerbated by no sleep and/or food.

Most stressful things weren't some major thing that I anticipated (other than NAVLE, that stupid, stupid test), it was just when circumstances conspired to hit you from all directions at once. Can't do much other than smile, do your best, and keep on keepin' on. The times that frustrated (not necessarily 'stressful') me the most were when clinicians want you to do 10 things all at precisely the same moment. And then get mad at you for not having them all simultaneously completed. The more experienced ones were good at recognizing how much a student can handle, and the interns were usually good at it because they were JUST there a year ago ... but those second- and third-year residents could be brutal sometimes with their expectations. More than once I heard a staff clinician tell a resident "You're expecting too much. You're asking for resident-level knowledge/performance and they aren't even DVMs yet." Most of them were great, but there were a few .... ooof.

Most stressful things weren't some major thing that I anticipated (other than NAVLE, that stupid, stupid test), it was just when circumstances conspired to hit you from all directions at once. Can't do much other than smile, do your best, and keep on keepin' on. The times that frustrated (not necessarily 'stressful') me the most were when clinicians want you to do 10 things all at precisely the same moment. And then get mad at you for not having them all simultaneously completed. The more experienced ones were good at recognizing how much a student can handle, and the interns were usually good at it because they were JUST there a year ago ... but those second- and third-year residents could be brutal sometimes with their expectations. More than once I heard a staff clinician tell a resident "You're expecting too much. You're asking for resident-level knowledge/performance and they aren't even DVMs yet." Most of them were great, but there were a few .... ooof.

Thanks guys! I broke down very briefly, but I think a lot of it was just exhaustion related. I haven't really had a chance to sit and just chill yet, so that combined with not sleeping well for god knows how long (I wake up like 10+ times a night) and I just hit a small wall. First day of anesthesia went well I think and I actually like it and so far it's making sense. Sucked at catheters today which is odd for me, but whatever.

And the whole clinicians asking you to do 20 things at once was one of the hardest things for me when I was Soft Tissue as my first ever rotation back in February. I didn't know where things were, but was supposed to be doing all of them at once and it was just stressful.

Thanks guys! I broke down very briefly, but I think a lot of it was just exhaustion related. I haven't really had a chance to sit and just chill yet, so that combined with not sleeping well for god knows how long (I wake up like 10+ times a night) and I just hit a small wall. First day of anesthesia went well I think and I actually like it and so far it's making sense. Sucked at catheters today which is odd for me, but whatever.

And the whole clinicians asking you to do 20 things at once was one of the hardest things for me when I was Soft Tissue as my first ever rotation back in February. I didn't know where things were, but was supposed to be doing all of them at once and it was just stressful.
Glad you made it through. I know there will be more, but we support you and and will listen to your breakdowns and offer interwebz hugs anytime. :)

Reactions: 1 users
Saw a really cool case today. Unfortunately, the answer was... we have no damn idea.

Some really rare zebra in this case that isn't going to be found at least anytime soon.

However, we were at least able to answer some of the owner's questions today and she was happy with that.

My first rotation is necropsy and it has been really cool! I love figuring out the puzzles of why they died, but the most poignant thing I have learned is how easy it is to f*** up as a clinician, and how important the PE is. It makes me scared that I will miss something really obvious as a clinician and kill my patient.

After dialysis because of anuria/AKI, two hemoabdomens and an emergency liver lobectomy, my very first case of the rotation is going home tomorrow morning, a week and a half of ICU care later! I honestly can't believe he's still alive, but I'm very excited to get him home.

After dialysis because of anuria/AKI, two hemoabdomens and an emergency liver lobectomy, my very first case of the rotation is going home tomorrow morning, a week and a half of ICU care later! I honestly can't believe he's still alive, but I'm very excited to get him home.

Corgi?

Done with first rotation! MAN that flew! On to SAER <3 <3 <3