Class of 2016....how ya doing?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
When the person on your rotation who has been dodging cases, not helping with patients and being a general pain in the ass comes up and asks you to switch on call shifts so she can have the weekend off-call. Especially after you have had the last 3 weekends on call....

The word "no" has never been so satisfying.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
When the person on your rotation who has been dodging cases, not helping with patients and being a general pain in the ass comes up and asks you to switch on call shifts so she can have the weekend off-call. Especially after you have had the last 3 weekends on call....

The word "no" has never been so satisfying.

Yeah. We had someone on my surgery rotation who initially had the second weekend on-call (2 week rotation). He quietly enjoyed the first weekend off. Then showed up Monday and mentioned that he'd need help covering cases second weekend because he had to leave early to travel to his next rotation.

I've not had so much fun saying "no," either. You just have to wonder when someone tries to pull that crap..... Like, c'mon. You know people see through it, right?

Yeah. We had someone on my surgery rotation who initially had the second weekend on-call (2 week rotation). He quietly enjoyed the first weekend off. Then showed up Monday and mentioned that he'd need help covering cases second weekend because he had to leave early to travel to his next rotation.

I've not had so much fun saying "no," either. You just have to wonder when someone tries to pull that crap..... Like, c'mon. You know people see through it, right?

She just said that she "might need to go out of town", I'm calling BS. We were given the opportunity at the beginning of the rotation to tell any dates we needed to not be on call. She had a chance and didn't take it.

Members don't see this ad :)

That's so obnoxious. Both rotations where I've had to travel the second weekend of I flat out offered to take a first weekend date to make up for it... I feel like that's more fair on the chance that I have an inpatient I have to hand off to someone or something.

Just got out of clinics today. I have two SOAPs and two discharges to write. I love making coffee when I should be going to bed.

I get home at 11pm on mon and tues every freaking week, and at that time I usually have 10-15 SOAPs to write before I go to bed only to need to get out of my apt by 6:30 the next morning. Don't you worry, it never gets better. You do get much faster at it though.

I see what you are saying now.

Yeah, I don't mind not knowing the answer and the clinician not being there. Has already happened many times. I am just honest with the client and then go find an answer for them. I guess I just don't see a big deal in "not knowing".... :shrug:

I don't mind not knowing - I'll never know it all. But when the clinician sets you up to fail by telling an owner that you know something when you don't, instead of asking "do you know this?" or "can you answer the clients question?" it is frustrating. It didn't just happen once, either.

I've had lots of solo client communications as well as accompanied. I've not known the answers to things and gone to find out - that doesn't bother me or make me feel incompetent. But something about the way it happened really irked me. Maybe I was having a bad day...

I don't mind not knowing - I'll never know it all. But when the clinician sets you up to fail by telling an owner that you know something when you don't, instead of asking "do you know this?" or "can you answer the clients question?" it is frustrating. It didn't just happen once, either.

I've had lots of solo client communications as well as accompanied. I've not known the answers to things and gone to find out - that doesn't bother me or make me feel incompetent. But something about the way it happened really irked me. Maybe I was having a bad day...

Well, nobody likes to be set up to look bad, and you're right, it would be better for them to say "would you like to answer this?" or even "do you think you know this?" or some such.

It's like everything in 4th yr - you suck it up knowing it's for a short period of time, come vent here to blow off steam, and move on. :)

Reactions: 1 user
So during this surgery rotation there has been some now second year (she just finished first year) hanging around in the surgery suite. And every time the clinician asks some random anatomy question and all the fourth years stare at each other with the same vacant expression of "wtf, I was actually supposed to remember that random muscle/ligament/obscure part of bone/insertion/origin" she pipes up with the answer.... :yeahright:

Just you wait little second year, that knowledge will be long gone by the time you get to clinics.... just you wait...

So during this surgery rotation there has been some now second year (she just finished first year) hanging around in the surgery suite. And every time the clinician asks some random anatomy question and all the fourth years stare at each other with the same vacant expression of "wtf, I was actually supposed to remember that random muscle/ligament/obscure part of bone/insertion/origin" she pipes up with the answer.... :yeahright:

Just you wait little second year, that knowledge will be long gone by the time you get to clinics.... just you wait...

**goes back in his FB PMs a while to find where DVMD was complaining as a second year about fourth years in surgery not knowing any answers**

;)

*duck*

Nothing like having your client tell you how awesome you are straight to your attending. One of my other clients wrote a letter to the head of the ophtho department describing how pleased they were with the care and service their pet received under my care. Winning!

This rotation is by far the most interesting. If I were crazy, I would consider a residency..

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Really struggling with my SOAP that I need to write tonight and I want to go to bed.

If you need someone to just bounce thoughts off of, shoot me a PM. Sometimes I find talking out loud to someone helps me to organize my thinking and write stuff down... Like I will ask a classmate how should I word, "Blah, blah, blah" and then it just happens to come out in a way that actually makes sense when I wasn't able to make it make sense before....

If you need someone to just bounce thoughts off of, shoot me a PM. Sometimes I find talking out loud to someone helps me to organize my thinking and write stuff down... Like I will ask a classmate how should I word, "Blah, blah, blah" and then it just happens to come out in a way that actually makes sense when I wasn't able to make it make sense before....

Trying to do that with the bf..we're both failing...cause it's ferrets and I'm just like o_O

Reactions: 1 users
Trying to do that with the bf..we're both failing...cause it's ferrets and I'm just like o_O

This is when you should message me... love me some furrito medicine. :)

In other news, I'm in equine medicine and it hasn't been nearly as horrible as it could be. I like the clinician so far and I have two 6mo foals as patients, which is pretty stinking cute.

I'm currently hangin out with a bunch at quizzo. And I agree on how cute they are with the lack of soul crushed, sleep deprived faces.
Oh, bummer, now I wish I went to Quizzo! I would have a sleep deprived face though. I also thought I would have been able to spot @brightimpressio over the past two days, but I have not been able to locate her.

Oh, bummer, now I wish I went to Quizzo! I would have a sleep deprived face though. I also thought I would have been able to spot @brightimpressio over the past two days, but I have not been able to locate her.

You should have! There was some karaoke at the end which is always a fun time. Are you coming to City Tap tonight?

You should have! There was some karaoke at the end which is always a fun time. Are you coming to City Tap tonight?
I won't be there either. I'm commuting from the burbs, so late night city drinking isn't as fun when I know I need to get home at some point. I also have a date with BF tonight that is taking priority to school stuff.

I won't be there either. I'm commuting from the burbs, so late night city drinking isn't as fun when I know I need to get home at some point. I also have a date with BF tonight that is taking priority to school stuff.

That's totally reasonable. I was just going to say come find me if you were going but I'll meet you sometime soon enough I'm sure.

Do you have any good pictures of plants by chance?
I've got a few powerpoints from my toxicology class that may be helpful - our tox professor, "The Antidote", has a section of his lectures called the unlucky 13 that covers a lot of the common toxic plants that end up on boards.

I've got a few powerpoints from my toxicology class that may be helpful - our tox professor, "The Antidote", has a section of his lectures called the unlucky 13 that covers a lot of the common toxic plants that end up on boards.

the Unlucky 13 & the Deadly Dozen :dead: just thinking about that class makes my head spin!!!

12 weeks until vacation :(..

Anyone know when we can pick our NAVLE dates?

Dear owner,

I'm sorry but myself, the resident and the clinician all left our magic combination diagnostic and healing crystal balls at home today. Even if we did have them, it would still cost you money.

if you didn't see @brightimpressio , then experience says she is a wolf.

Dear owner,

I'm sorry but myself, the resident and the clinician all left our magic combination diagnostic and healing crystal balls at home today. Even if we did have them, it would still cost you money.
those crystal balls shouldn't be used for profit. You only care about the money (which is always ironic to hear people say to interns and residents at a not-for-profit hospital).

Have to love it when the resident complains to ICU that, "he's already gotten too many stupid questions from his students. "

Here's a thought, instead of being a sarcastic dingus for a "teaching style", why don't you try actually being a normal human being and discussing things with us? We're here to learn, not already know everything and we definitely can't know "what you do" unless you tell us. We don't read minds.

I have only one more day of horsie rotation EVER, and my only patient is a super adorable arabian filly. So OK with this, but so ready to be working with guide dog puppies instead. :love:

Week 1 of 3 done for my anesthesia rotation. The sitting for hours at a time is the worst part. The techs are intense, but nice. I love the resident, she is awesome.

Not making much progress on my Zuku. I feel incredibly unprepared.

...I haven't started studying.

Not hating large animal medicine, but it sure is exhausting. I'm not sure when you guys usually have to have morning treatments/SOAPs done, but for these rotations it's by around 6 AM and I've had an inpatient every day. I've been taking afternoon naps in the Conference room like every day. It's slightly pathetic.

Holy crapola I just scheduled my NAVLE test date.

ahhh.gif

I'm on Nov 16th - I'm on ST surgery for pretty much all of the test window so I figured I'd get in, get it done and not worry any more about it.

I think I'm going to be taking it like one of the last few days. I have a vacation early in the window and then I get slammed with LA Surgery and ICU. I think ICU will be helpful so I might be waiting for cardio. Or I could take it late into my ICU rotation. So either late November or early December.

I have a two-week block off, so I am taking it the Saturday of the first week of that block, so I can have the following Sunday-Sunday to just breathe a sigh of oh **** I just totally failed that exam relief and relax.