Class of 2016....how ya doing?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Free pro tip - we're taking applicants for my old position..... ;)

The question is, are you interviewing? Otherwise, that cover letter probably won't work.

Members don't see this ad.

Ha! Nope. But I could be persuaded to put in a good word.

That is a nice offer but at this point, I'm ready to ditch the snow and cold and head back to living near family. I've been far away for long enough. I have no idea how much time I have left with my mom so I'm going to squeeze as many years in as I can while living back home. :)

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
That is a nice offer but at this point, I'm ready to ditch the snow and cold and head back to living near family. I've been far away for long enough. I have no idea how much time I have left with my mom so I'm going to squeeze as many years in as I can while living back home. :)

Well, I did say I'd need to be persuaded. ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
So you're not going for double board certification? Jeez. I don't understand why. ;)

:wideyed:

tumblr_md4vstPmBJ1qgumxh.gif

One of you doofuses (doofi?)has to come work near me. I'm bored and need someone to harass IRL. Come be an Alli to my Ilana.

For some reason I thought you were vaguely close to me...but I can't remember if you're in the more southern location again or back near where you went to school.

Rank list submitted :eek:

Reactions: 1 users
Rank list submitted :eek:

Still can't figure mine out. I think I have the top 4 down. I really liked this other one, but when I initially applied, I somehow didn't realize it was more GP/ER, which is ideally what I want career wise, but feel like I can get a job out of school with that and don't know if I can justify ranking it higher for that reason. And have no idea where I'm putting academic ones.

Reactions: 1 user
Still can't figure mine out. I think I have the top 4 down. I really liked this other one, but when I initially applied, I somehow didn't realize it was more GP/ER, which is ideally what I want career wise, but feel like I can get a job out of school with that and don't know if I can justify ranking it higher for that reason. And have no idea where I'm putting academic ones.
You got this!

Good luck to everyone that submitted rank listings! Just reading your posts about it gives me a weird feeling in my tummy :confused:

Welp, I got a job offer! I am going to accept. I have a few reservations, but I think that's expected with making such a huge decision. After talking to my parents and boyfriend, I think it is the right decision. This whole job search process has been so stressful and my anxiety is through the roof.

Also, derm-vacation is going well. Learning a lot and I really like the resident.

Reactions: 7 users
I'm on path this block and it's messing with me mentally. Just the whole cutting up people's pets. I had a dream last night that I was autopsying an animal that was still alive. Not okay. And I'm sick, so I sound like an 80 year old chain smoker.

I'm on path this block and it's messing with me mentally. Just the whole cutting up people's pets. I had a dream last night that I was autopsying an animal that was still alive. Not okay. And I'm sick, so I sound like an 80 year old chain smoker.

I'm on path too! I haven't any dreams like that, but I've definitely decided that I am most likely never going to get a necropsy performed on any of my pets.

Yeah, I'm not going to lie - it's not a pretty business. I hope in practice, though, you will still recommend or at least educate the client about the potential service as a whole. The results you get from a necropsy will ultimately make you better clinicians because it can tell you what you did right or wrong, if you diagnosed the animal correctly and, if not, to what extent, was your treatment plan going how you thought it was or could you have improved it, etc. It's not just about giving owners closure, it's about fine-tuning the entire field as a whole in terms of diagnostics (and sometimes discovering new things as well).

Even I would have a tough time having my own dog done because when it's your own pet, it's personal. I could never judge someone for that. But postmortem exams (I actually prefer calling them postmortem exams rather than necropsies with owners, it sounds nicer) are still a part of veterinary medicine (less so in human outside of forensics) and we need to be careful to not extend our personal hesitations, as valid as they may be to us, to clients.

I actually overheard one student once saying that necropsy was something they would never recommend to a client after seeing the ins and outs of how one is performed, and I balled them out. And despite the grumplepuss I can be online, in real life it is pretty hard to make me angry. At the end of the day, it's a body. It may have been a body that held immense value to someone when it was walking around, but it's still a body. A collection of tissues and cells that no longer holds the soul and presence of something that we loved, and something that holds a lot of answers and potential for improving how we diagnose and treat our future patients. Death is uncomfortable and it will always be so, but we can't let it overshadow the actual medicine. Just some food for thought.

Reactions: 11 users
Yeah, I'm not going to lie - it's not a pretty business. I hope in practice, though, you will still recommend or at least educate the client about the potential service as a whole. The results you get from a necropsy will ultimately make you better clinicians because it can tell you what you did right or wrong, if you diagnosed the animal correctly and, if not, to what extent, etc. It's not just about giving owners closure, it's about fine-tuning the entire field as a whole in terms of diagnostics.

Even I would have a tough time having my own dog done because when it's your own pet, it's personal. I could never judge someone for that. But postmortem exams (I actually prefer calling them postmortem exams rather than necropsies with owners, it sounds nicer) are still a part of veterinary medicine (less so in human outside of forensics) and we need to be careful to not extend our personal hesitations, as valid as they may be to us, to clients.

I actually overheard one student once saying that necropsy was something they would never recommend to a client after seeing the ins and outs of how one is performed, and I balled them out. And despite the grumplepuss I can be online, in real life it is pretty hard to make me angry. At the end of the day, it's a body. It may have been a body that held immense value to someone when it was walking around, but it's still a body. A collection of tissues and cells that no longer holds the soul and presence of something that we loved, and something that holds a lot of answers and potential for improving how we diagnose and treat our future patients. Death is uncomfortable and it will always be so, but we can't let it overshadow the actual medicine. Just some food for thought.

I think I actually recommend it more after taking the rotation. It did teach me the immense value of finding out the exact diagnosis and learning for the next animal. I appreciate that pathologists can do this everyday because you really are bettering the field.

As an aside, I do truly understand the mental aspect of it. I don't mean to sound like I am brushing it off. As a first year resident I remember being scheduled to be on call through the entire Christmas holiday week and weekend, so about 11 straight days on necropsy. And by the end of it, even *I* was getting a little miserable over it. That's usually why they schedule us only a week on the floor at a time, and then a week off doing biopsy or something else. It can absolutely get to you sometimes, even if it's not normally something that bothers you.

Everyone had their own hangup. For example, I hold immense respect for GP vets who have to euthanize on a regular basis. Especially emergency vets where that happens a lot. I can't imagine euthanizing multiple animals per day and continuing to function. I'm not built like that and I'm happy that others are because we need people strong enough to do that. Once they are gone, I'm fine and it doesn't bother me. But I don't think I'd be strong enough to assist with the going time and after after time.

Last edited:
Yeah, I'm not going to lie - it's not a pretty business. I hope in practice, though, you will still recommend or at least educate the client about the potential service as a whole. The results you get from a necropsy will ultimately make you better clinicians because it can tell you what you did right or wrong, if you diagnosed the animal correctly and, if not, to what extent, was your treatment plan going how you thought it was or could you have improved it, etc. It's not just about giving owners closure, it's about fine-tuning the entire field as a whole in terms of diagnostics (and sometimes discovering new things as well).

Oh I will definitely recommend it as a service and I'm really enjoying the rotation. It's been a great anatomy review and really makes you think about the pathophysiology of everything. I would just have a really hard time doing it for my own pet, especially if I had an idea of what was going on.

2 weeks til match day!!! :eek::eek::eek:

Just turned down an offer to go to dinner with the owner of a clinic I interviewed at in the beginning of January. I felt kinda terrible telling him I accepted a position elsewhere. He seemed disappointed. I really hope I didn't turn down something that could have been awesome.

Question for you all. Do your schools send out an email before Match Day explaining how the whole process works in regards to scramble and everything?

I'm only asking because until today, we weren't told anything about how the process works, where to find the list of available spots, etc. I just got off my Neuro rotation and they had been asking us about that and one of the clinicians today sent out an email because he was kind of surprised the school didn't do it and he wanted everyone to be less in a panic. So I'm just going to say I <3 our neuro clinicians and that they seem to care and are offering their department as a safe haven for people and willing to help out even if you haven't taken neuro.

Reactions: 1 user
Question for you all. Do your schools send out an email before Match Day explaining how the whole process works in regards to scramble and everything?

I'm only asking because until today, we weren't told anything about how the process works, where to find the list of available spots, etc. I just got off my Neuro rotation and they had been asking us about that and one of the clinicians today sent out an email because he was kind of surprised the school didn't do it and he wanted everyone to be less in a panic. So I'm just going to say I <3 our neuro clinicians and that they seem to care and are offering their department as a safe haven for people and willing to help out even if you haven't taken neuro.
We didn't have anything official. Some people approached particular clinicians based on their own interests (ie I bugged the hell out of our lab animal guy, other people bugged surgeons, people asked our current interns, etc). But the administration didn't send out anything.

12 hours to go! Good luck, everyone :-D May the odds be ever in your favor!

Last edited:
Sending those of you going through the match, good vibes and tons of luck!!! I can't wait to hear where you guys end up!!! :D :luck::luck: :)

It's been forever since I've been on, but with match day tomorrow I'd thought I'd pop in and wish everyone good luck!

Matched with #6. Mixed feelings but will def make the most of it!

Reactions: 16 users