Class of 2016....how ya doing?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Yup, have to school again today, still don't want.
9f827e1f11681a60251158c7a2950aeb.jpg

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Have I ever expressed how much I just adore sitting around waiting to see if anything will come in for necropsy?

It is just awesome, sitting here for two and a half hours, twiddling my thumbs while I wait.

Because I have absolutely nothing else I could be doing. Nope, definitely not. My life just consists of vet school and waiting for dead animals.

Have I ever expressed how much I just adore sitting around waiting to see if anything will come in for necropsy?

It is just awesome, sitting here for two and a half hours, twiddling my thumbs while I wait.

Because I have absolutely nothing else I could be doing. Nope, definitely not. My life just consists of vet school and waiting for dead animals.

You should obviously come up with some more theoretical bloodwork...

Reactions: 1 users

Holy **** they have you wait around? We do whatever cases have been submitted by 9am - maybe an add-on if the clinician asks really nicely - and necropsy is done for students by noon 99.9% of the time. No sitting around.

Holy **** they have you wait around? We do whatever cases have been submitted by 9am - maybe an add-on if the clinician asks really nicely - and necropsy is done for students by noon 99.9% of the time. No sitting around.

Oh, necropsy is afternoon for us. We do clin path in the morning.

Necropsy in the afternoon and we have to wait until 4:30ish to see if anything will show up. Even if something shows up at 4:25, we will still have to do it. Totally annoying.

Reactions: 1 user

Necropsy in the afternoon and we have to wait until 4:30ish to see if anything will show up. Even if something shows up at 4:25, we will still have to do it. Totally annoying.
Gross. I like our system (and four hour days...) way better. Still hated the block though.

They would send us home but we could be called back in if there was something that came in. So that was okay.

Members don't see this ad :)
Pathology charades would be awesome

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

I had to blindfold draw everted laryngeal saccules for an IntMed game once. I can't draw to begin with, but blindfolded .... It was highly amusing. Should have taken a pic.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

Signed a contract today! I am an associate at a 24 hour practice doing mainly regular hours work with the occasional emergency shift. Good benefits and a VERY generous CE package! It's not the "dream job" I thought I was going to have, but I'm happy with my decision.

Reactions: 11 users
Signed a contract today! I am an associate at a 24 hour practice doing mainly regular hours work with the occasional emergency shift. Good benefits and a VERY generous CE package! It's not the "dream job" I thought I was going to have, but I'm happy with my decision.

Way to go Jam!!! And by the way, you are missed around the forum- it's been nice to see mufasa pop in the past couple weeks!!

Way to go Jam!!! And by the way, you are missed around the forum- it's been nice to see mufasa pop in the past couple weeks!!
Ooh no you didn't... That's Scar!

And thanks! I'm pretty stoked about all the opportunities this clinic will afford me.

I still read the forum, just don't have much time for commenting. :)

Ooh no you didn't... That's Scar!

And thanks! I'm pretty stoked about all the opportunities this clinic will afford me.

I still read the forum, just don't have much time for commenting. :)

Woooow.... Wtf was I thinking.... I have an illness called clinic brain :oops:

@Jamr0ckin are you still in east TN with this job? How close to Knoxville? I might be headed there for a small conference this summer. We should chill. Of the SDN vetties I've only met up with @LetItSnow and @fromthebox . Need to keep adding to the list. Those two can vouch that I won't kidnap you and leave your body in a dumpster.

Trying to extract just a tooth root is a gorram pain in the arse.

Also, extracted a mandibular canine on a very small chihuahua.

Extracting teeth is fun but so very frustrating.

Extracting teeth is fun

I don't think this is an appropriate use of the word fun.

I hate dentals. My boss hates dentals. We have a fancy new digital dental rad system but nope, still not fun. We both dream of hiring someone part time to do all the things we hate. Someday.

I don't think this is an appropriate use of the word fun.

I hate dentals. My boss hates dentals. We have a fancy new digital dental rad system but nope, still not fun. We both dream of hiring someone part time to do all the things we hate. Someday.

:laugh: I was definitely cursing with the one tooth, that was not fun. The rest of the extractions were rewarding.

Dog I did surgery on yesterday had post op complications. Complications that can definitely happen and happen to anyone. But damn it is hard to stand there as the vet you are working with takes the dog back into surgery and questions you about everything you did/what to do next, etc. Definitely good for learning but sure makes you feel like crap.

May 16th.
And I'm sooo ready for my current rotation to be over. I have 2 hours left in my on call shift and of course I get a call that a laceration will be here in like 15 minutes. F****** horses can't stop breaking themselves. I just want to be back in Philly, snuggling my dog (and foster dog), and carb loading before my half marathon tomorrow.

Reactions: 2 users
Got an email from someone who hires vets for different clinics in this state, informed her I would like to stay on a particular side of the state if possible. She mentioned she has a number of clinics hiring on the opposite side of the state, not a big deal, it is just an hour drive or so, which would suck. So not really super interested but figured I was curious and I would check out the hospital websites...

At one clinic, all of the vets there have graduated in the 80's. That isn't really a "problem" however, it is nice to be able to relate with your co-workers and it may be difficult to relate to people who graduated 3 decades ago...

Another clinic has zero technical staff posted on their website... just an office manager, a boarding tech and a receptionist.... NOPE, NOPE, NOPE....

And the last few clinics all have new, recently hired staff including recently hired office managers... uhh, ok, maybe wouldn't be too bad, but I have enough to figure out being a brand spankin new grad that having all new hospital staff sounds stressful.. so uhh, nope

I work with an 85 grad (year I was born lol) but he keeps up with things better than I do! He is on VIN all the time. So they aren't all stubborn farts passing out steroids at the door. But I definitely understand the concern.

I work with an 85 grad (year I was born lol) but he keeps up with things better than I do! He is on VIN all the time. So they aren't all stubborn farts passing out steroids at the door. But I definitely understand the concern.

I'm less worried about them keeping up with the medicine, I worked as a tech with a 60's (maybe early 70's) grad and he was great about keeping up with the times, still is. I mean that is definitely a concern but want even my first thought. I'm more concerned with relating on a personal level, the debt, etc. And I could be wrong but will be easier to commiserate with someone who graduated in the 2000's than in the 80's. Work is easier if you can form good relationships with coworkers. That isn't to say that I couldn't with an 80's grad but that it just might be more difficult. If that makes any sense at all.

My school gives out awards to seniors for clinics. Apparently I won one! So excited!

Am I the only radiology freak?
The rotation is going to be three weeks of sitting in a dark room teaching myself radiology with breaks for rounds where apparently one of the clinicians is an dingus to everyone and with lots of quizzes/tests. I don't hate radiology, but I hate the way we teach it...

The rotation is going to be three weeks of sitting in a dark room teaching myself radiology with breaks for rounds where apparently one of the clinicians is an dingus to everyone and with lots of quizzes/tests. I don't hate radiology, but I hate the way we teach it...

Yeah, kind of sounds the same everywhere. We definitely just helped to position for radiographs, then were assigned a bunch of assignments where we had to go through and interpret the radiographs. Then we had a number of exams over various areas of the body... musculoskeletal, abdominal and thoracic. Our clinicians are great, none of them were dinguses, but it definitely could possibly be taught better, however hard to really "teach" radiology without having the students just go over tons of radiographs and then explaining/showing what was actually found/wrong on rads. I guess I have just realized radiology is one of those things that will just take repetition to really get down. And I am kind of a nerd and really like radiology. :)

Radiology just makes me feel like I need these magical glasses to see anything that they are talking about.

And it sounds like it's done similar here. During the day you are either on ultrasound, on the floor (helping with rada) or in the reading room. Then we have cases each night we have to go through and present. We have competencies on positioNing for rads and then finish off with a 2 hr exam.