Class of 2016!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Members don't see this ad :)
Ugh I hate the AAMC. I got their STUPID MCAT reminder email.

Dear MCAT Examinee:

Whether you’ve been preparing for weeks, months, or even years, the final countdown is here.

GEE THANKS, I'D FORGOTTEN.

No fair, you left the not-yet-submitted club! Who's still with me?

raisedHand.jpg

2/3+ of my secondaries are submitted. waiting on 10 more schools to send out secondaries

That reminds me of something I once read on a blog:

You know you're a true Baskin Robbins Extraordinaire if...

1. If you've ever had a customer ask: "How many scoops are in a double scoop?"
2. If you've ever had someone come in and have 50 samples and then decide they don't want any friggin' ice cream...
3. If you have repeated the line: "Would you like that in a cup or in a cone? A cone? All right then, what kind of cone: a sugar cone a regular cone or a waffle cone?" about 2 million times. It's funny, it doesn't matter how many times you repeat this to customers, the next time they come in to the store, they still need the list of the different styles of cones.
4. If you've ever had the need to go stick your head in the freezer and die when there is a giant line right out the door.
5. If you hate the dip****s who come in 2 minutes before close and then order 5 of the most friggin' annoying things to make on the menu.
6. If you've ever had the customer who comes into the store, looks at the ice cream for 10 minutes, then asks you if they can have a scoop of some random, obscure flavour that you've never even heard of. And then, when you proceed to tell them that Baskin Robbins does not keep that flavour in stock, they yell and scream at you insisting that you have the particular flavour...
7. If you've ever had someone stop, look at the store hours, see you're close, but bang on the door anyways, because they desperately need their vanilla shake...jackasses.
8. If you've ever wanted to shove an ice cream scooper up the ass of the customer who can't make up their friggin' mind when there is a line of about 20 people.
9. If you have to hold in your laughter when the customer asks for the JAMACIA Almond Fudge...its JAMOCA you idiots! I've also had people say Gold Medalion Ribbion, instead of Gold Medal Ribbon.
10. If you almost implode when people insist that THEY know how to make a particular item, and that you are simply doing it wrong.
11. If you've ever been screamed at by some ****ed off customer because their bill was too expensive, and then insist that you ring it in again, and again and again and again and again.
12. If you've ever had a customer yell at you because the banana split/Reese sundae/ banana royal etc. does not look like the picture on the wall. NOTE: The pictures of our sundaes aren't even of real ice cream! It's fake! The fudge is plastic and the ice cream in propped up!
13. If you've ever had some five years old kid put his greasy hands all over your freshly cleaned glass...and then sneezes on it.
14. If you've prayed for rain on any particular night because you know you have to work later...customers don't buy ice cream when it rains. Or, if you get excited about horrible weather, 'cause it means it's going to be a slow night at BR.
15. If you've wanted to slam your head into the counter repeatedly when some kid is screaming at the top of his/her/it's lungs because mommy didn't buy them the chocolate dipped sugar cone.
16. If you've had a customer say: "Wow, you must be really strong with all that scooping!" To which you politely laugh and say "Oh yes, but only in one arm!" Ha ha ha...not funny.
17. If you've ever dropped a bunch of sprinkles on the floor to which you mumble some form of profanity.
18. If you've ever had a customer pay with a 50, even though their total bill was about 2 dollars.
19. If you've ever had a customer pay with a 50 for a 2-dollar tab, even though you can clearly see a 5 and 10 in their wallet.
20. If you've ever had to clean up dropped scoops off the floor...or better yet had a customer hand you as scoop their kid just dropped in the ground.
21. If you've ever had a customer point to the freezer and say, "I would like that one" to which we reply, "Which flavour?" to which the customer replies "That one"...could we not be more specific? After all you ARE pointing to at least six different flavours...****** bags.
22. If you've ever had someone had you their taster spoons afte they;ve used them. Yes, please hand us your used, dirty, germ infested taster spoon that you've just used...because BR employees love touching the spitty spoons of total strangers...throw it out yourself...******.

Edit: Unintentional TOP!

LOL wow. I didn't work at BR, but I can deeply relate to all of those.

#2: When I worked there I made up a rule that there is only one sample per person when people asked for a million samples. :shifty:
#5: People used to come like 20 seconds before close and get mad at me for not being super cheery with them. One guy lectured me on "common courtesy" because I smiled instead of saying hello. I then suggested that "common courtesy" also included not going places 20 seconds before they close and ordering particularly messy things like milkshakes.
#7: Those jerks used to get the death stare from me. I only ever served one person who did that, and it was because he slammed a 20 on the window and said I could keep the change (he only ordered $5 worth of ice cream). Usually though I'm pissed because I had a ton of studying to do after work (starting at 11pm), and they didn't give a s**t about anything but their dessert..
#8: People would stand in line for 20 minutes not bothering to look at the menu, and then finally when at the register say "Hold on, I need to see what you have". :annoyed:
#14: I prayed for rain everyday. Business definitely slowed down when it did, and I could study when no one was around. The exception being that person that comes right before it rains, and then complains that you're taking too long since they are about to get rained on. Really? There's lightning, the skies are dark, and it's already sprinkling. Don't blame me for that s**t. I was usually pleased when it started pouring as they left :oops:.

So, this morning I did a good thing, sort of.

Some wretched DOUCHEBAG was being rude to the starbucks barista. Like unnecessarily rude. I told him off and said he needed to be more careful and stop resorting to calling people names. Among other things I said to him, I scared him pretty good. I got a stack of free coffee vouchers from the staff there.

SCORE!

Good for you! I hate douchebags who are rude to baristas/waiters/any sort of service staff. Not only is it horrible and unnecessary, but why don't people realize that acting like an *****hole won't get you any better service?

I passed up an opportunity to watch HP7.2 in order to ensure that I finished my app last night.

Frickin' medical schools better recognize my sacrifice :laugh:

Wow. That is sacrifice indeed. Good for you! :D

Ugh I hate the AAMC. I got their STUPID MCAT reminder email.

GEE THANKS, I'D FORGOTTEN.

I HATED THOSE MCAT REMINDER EMAILS. :mad: It's like, go suck it, AAMC...I REALIZE that the most important test of my life to date is in two weeks.

Anyone who is rude to someone in the service system needs to GTFO.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone who is rude to someone in the service system needs to GTFO.

seriously, some people can be so incredibly stupid/rude. That's why I'm never working retail again and i will never work in food service. f that s

wtf, I always miss the west coasters' conversations about coffee :mad:
So, I just brewed my second cup this morning, sugar, a little bit of creamer. delicious :)

I'm still in the no submit club :(

wtf, I always miss the west coasters' conversations about coffee :mad:
So, I just brewed my second cup this morning, sugar, a little bit of creamer. delicious :)

I'm still in the no submit club :(

Hmm I think I'll join you for a cup of coffee. I haven't submitted yet either woohooo!

neverrrrrr!!! ;) is it ok to submit last day of july? I need mo' time

Medicine is akin to the food service/retail industry...

Patients can be equally as entitled and BITCHY.

Yes, but in medicine patients have more of an excuse to be entitled and bitchy. It's not just that the temperature of their extra hot double shot skinny mocha latte is at stake, it's their life and their health. When my patients get irritated over minor things and are rude to me, I'm still offended, but it's more understandable because usually they're sick and/or in pain.

Hmm I think I'll join you for a cup of coffee. I haven't submitted yet either woohooo!
we have to do it!
All of you non-submitters... JUST TAKE THE PLUNGE!!!

Enter the world of secondaries!!!!
...this weekend :(
You guys can do it, come on, submit! THINK OF THE CHILDREN!
I AM THINKING IF THEM :D
neverrrrrr!!! ;) is it ok to submit last day of july? I need mo' time
noooo do it soon!

I will not stand for it. I will chew them up and make them regret they ever did that. Whats sad to see is kids now days acting like this. What the eff happened to good manners and the golden rule?

Yes, but in medicine patients have more of an excuse to be entitled and bitchy. It's not just that the temperature of their extra hot double shot skinny mocha latte is at stake, it's their life and their health. When my patients get irritated over minor things and are rude to me, I'm still offended, but it's more understandable because usually they're sick and/or in pain.

I guess, but in general.... you don't want to piss anyone off making your skinny mocha latte or removing your appendix.

I will not stand for it. I will chew them up and make them regret they ever did that. Whats sad to see is kids now days acting like this. What the eff happened to good manners and the golden rule?

Ohhh, kids have NEVER had good manners. They only ever did when they were threatened with beatings every time they misbehaved. But they do often response positively to being publicly shamed, so chewing them out for being rude is often a learning experience for them. :D

I guess, but in general.... you don't want to piss anyone off making your skinny mocha latte or removing your appendix.

This is true. There's really no reason for anyone to be rude to other people, regardless of the service they're performing for you. I guess it's just more understandable when someone is sick.

When customers were rude, we intentionally steamed the milk for their drink to waaaay above the temp it's supposed to be at. Take that, bitches!

Ohhh, kids have NEVER had good manners. They only ever did when they were threatened with beatings every time they misbehaved. But they do often response positively to being publicly shamed, so chewing them out for being rude is often a learning experience for them. :D

Well true. Most of my friends and I did misbehave as a 3-5 year old. but we were never really ill mannered to others. We always said thank you, yes sir/mam, no sir/mam. But never ever did we yell at some service people. Although i tribute that to the fear of the wooden spoon and Texas upbringing.

I see it all the time now though. When i used to accompany my ex to the nail salon:)laugh:) i would see little brats chew out the ladies doing their toes for "doing it" wrong.

Edit: Also tipping. People who dont tip make me sick.

When customers were rude, we intentionally steamed the milk for their drink to waaaay above the temp it's supposed to be at. Take that, bitches!

Careful! Hahaha you could get sued for that.

Legit, remember that crazy lady that sued McDonald's for her coffee being too hot, and burning her. hahaha

Well true. Most of my friends and I did misbehave as a 3-5 year old. but we were never really ill mannered to others. We always said thank you, yes sir/mam, no sir/mam. But never ever did we yell at some service people. Although i tribute that to the fear of the wooden spoon and Texas upbringing.

I see it all the time now though. When i used to accompany my ex to the nail salon:)laugh:) i would see little brats chew out the ladies doing their toes for "doing it" wrong.

Depends on what the job is. Waiters/waitresses I ALWAYS tip, 20%+ if they were really good. I made ****ty tips as a barista, even though everything was totally done by hand (tamping the espresso and pulling the shots, steaming the milk, etc. Unlike Starbucks, where some of that is automated). I hated it even more when people ordered custom drinks and didn't tip well. One guy always ordered a half-caf caramel mocha smoothie (our "frappuccino") with whipped cream and nutmeg on top. He always tipped at least $3, it was awesome.

Careful! Hahaha you could get sued for that.

Legit, remember that crazy lady that sued McDonald's for her coffee being too hot, and burning her. hahaha

It was within reason (below boiling), but just at the high end of the spectrum. We did always warn them that it was hot! ;)

Depends on what the job is. Waiters/waitresses I ALWAYS tip, 20%+ if they were really good. I made ****ty tips as a barista, even though everything was totally done by hand (tamping the espresso and pulling the shots, steaming the milk, etc. Unlike Starbucks, where some of that is automated). I hated it even more when people ordered custom drinks and didn't tip well. One guy always ordered a half-caf caramel mocha smoothie (our "frappuccino") with whipped cream and nutmeg on top. He always tipped at least $3, it was awesome.

$3 tip for a mocha frappa latte thingy? He wanted more than just extra nutmeg....

I always tip my barrista well.

A. Because its damn good coffee

B. Usually students behind the counter.

I consider myself an adequate tipper. I always tip around 20% or more(especially if im back in my college town where its students doing most of the stuff)

But i've had many run ins with people who just dont tip and will verbal say I dont get why i should tip.

It was within reason (below boiling), but just at the high end of the spectrum. We did always warn them that it was hot! ;)

Well that's always a positive thing... I used to work in a restaurant before I got sick....

Anybody ever seen Waiting? Well... yeah let's just say I never let my family eat at that restaurant.

I caaaan't. I keep changing things in my PS.

Mellow, you're always going to find more things to change after each draft.
After 10 rough drafts, I finally said "Enough is enough" and submitted.
It felt great after and I haven't read my PS since the moment before I submitted.
If you want I can give it another read over and throw down some comments?

Mellow, you're always going to find more things to change after each draft.
After 10 rough drafts, I finally said "Enough is enough" and submitted.
It felt great after and I haven't read my PS since the moment before I submitted.
If you want I can give it another read over and throw down some comments?

Yeah! I edited my PS ONCE! I haven't looked at it since. Adcoms don't care about your PS nearly as much as you think they do. They rely much more on their secondary essays.

Amen to this. I am not one of those people who stiffs tips for "poor service". Usually if I am getting less-than-excellent service it's because the waiter is really busy and has been given too many tables. Why should I dock their tip for that? I try to tip baristas, too.

Well that's always a positive thing... I used to work in a restaurant before I got sick....

Anybody ever seen Waiting? Well... yeah let's just say I never let my family eat at that restaurant.

This is why i never worked in the food industry. It ruins the mystery :laugh:

Ill take that bagger job. :thumbup:

Amen to this. I am not one of those people who stiffs tips for "poor service". Usually if I am getting less-than-excellent service it's because the waiter is really busy and has been given too many tables. Why should I dock their tip for that? I try to tip baristas, too.

Thats how i see it.

If they waiter is super busy but still refills my drink without me saying or me even noticing, its a bigger plus

Also if they're cute :laugh:

j/k

Yeah! I edited my PS ONCE! I haven't looked at it since. Adcoms don't care about your PS nearly as much as you think they do. They rely much more on their secondary essays.

:xf: I hope you're right, because I went through like 10 drafts of my PS before I finally realized I would never get to the secondaries if I kept agonizing over it. Even after I clicked submit, I kept thinking about possible changes I should've made :scared:.