Class of 2016!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
You are way ahead of me! I've have the LORs about done and have sorted a huge school list... MCAT... well, that's in a few months and it's freaking me outtttttttttttt.

Did everyone have a great New Year's celebration? Any interesting resolutions? :D

Yeah, I think the biggest challenge in getting into a good medical school.. is the MCAT! I could not create me list without knowing my score.

This year I am going to stay on top of everything! And get some more shadowing! Trying to get my AMCAS and TMDAS verified that first day! Back to this personal statement.

Members don't see this ad.

WOW! i've been super MIA on this thread :(
Now that I'm all caught up, I'm glad I'm not the only one who hasn't made a dent on my MCAT books :/ one more week of break, maybe I should get started!
But deng, everyone on here seems super productive.
GPA---> oh gosh, Ochem, you really ruined my gpa! ugh B-!
MCAT----> May 21, bring it!
PS----> ideas in head, not a sentence written out :(
School list----> currently working on
LORs---> CV needs finishing touches, already talked to people I'm getting letters from.

phew, slacker.

Hope everyone is having an awesome 2011, and here's to us ALL getting into our dream school (hopefully) *cheers*

here's to hoping we all get acceptances in 2011!

:xf: :luck: :xf: :luck:

:scared: can't believe it's 2011... the application process is starting to feel real. good luck to us!

June will soon be upon us, guys! :scared:

Yes... Class of 2016 here we come!

MCAT-->check
GPA---->check
School List-->check
Personal Statement--- bane of my existence on the first draft:scared:
Letter of recommendation- One interview set up thus far:scared:
four more to go....

This!!! I haven't even started it. :lame:

Speaking of LOR's, how much in advance should we ask our professors to write the LOR (2months?)

I think it would be best to ask them as early as you can (like Cougs said) and send them periodic friendly reminders. You don't want to be that horror story of needing 1 LOR to be complete at your dream school and the prof is on sabbatical in a foreign country and can't be reached until Jan. :uhno:

Members don't see this ad :)
Now that I'm all caught up, I'm glad I'm not the only one who hasn't made a dent on my MCAT books :/ one more week of break, maybe I should get started!
LORs---> CV needs finishing touches, already talked to people I'm getting letters from.

phew, slacker.

Hope everyone is having an awesome 2011, and here's to us ALL getting into our dream school (hopefully) *cheers*

I'm definitely a slacker... still lol. I have 21 more days before school starts and I still haven't started the studying (minus verbal two months ago). I'm currently on vacation in CO and am having too much fun to study :D Chem ruined (okay, not really) my GPA... went from all As to a C- in the last one. There are some circumstances, but it probably looks incredibly weird to see all As last semester except that one. Oh well, maybe I'll like it the second time around haha.

My school list is hugeeeeeeeeeeeee since I haven't taken the MCAT yet. The results will probably instantly narrow that thing down!

On the upside, I am officially classified as a senior and it feels like I'm finally making progress in my undergrad degree haha. The years of going to school and working tons of hours are really paying off.

I'm starting to think this process is really going to make me bananas. I swore it wouldn't happen to me, but slowly I am becoming nuts :eek:

:hello: Hi people!

I figured I should finally come out of denial and introduce myself to the class of 2016 thread peeps. I was really hoping to be class of 2015 (I'm still holding out for a miracle, so miracle, if you are looking for me, here I am).

I will be re-studying for the MCAT starting on Feb 1. :( I am not looking forward to it. I just graduated and was really looking forward to the "no more books" part of the whole deal. I was free! There was time! Time to do whatever I wanted! Now... now I am a slave to the MCAT. Again . :cry:

/breakdown :D

Can't believe I finally get to post in one of these threads. We'll all be interviewing this time next year!

haha We are all slackers when compared to the nontraditionals. I read a post from a guy who had his Personal Statement done and all 15 secondary already predrafted. Now, that is preparation. Not to mention all five of his LOR already uploaded via interfolio... *sighs* I haven't even made an account yet.

haha We are all slackers when compared to the nontraditionals. I read a post from a guy who had his Personal Statement done and all 15 secondary already predrafted. Now, that is preparation. Not to mention all five of his LOR already uploaded via interfolio... *sighs* I haven't even made an account yet.
Now this may be a bit too early. I mean the letters will be a year old by the time the adcom read it

Hey yall,
just chiming in on my status update also!

GPA----> OKAY I guess, but will be taking additional classes just in case
MCAT--> ugh, a little scared, but will continue to study my Butt off
PS-----> Done, Thank the LORD
School List----> Check
LORS----> Have solid recommenders which will be uploading to interfolio this week.

***Side note-I held off on applying last cycle so I definitely plan to submit the day of June 1st. Oh yeah, I'm a nontradional student also!

Now this may be a bit too early. I mean the letters will be a year old by the time the adcom read it

It is definitely not too early. Nobody cares WHEN your letter was written, only what it says. You will be applying in 6 months, so getting your letters now is efficient/smart. Every year people have their apps delayed because they don't have their LOR ready to go. I requested mine last year in December, and had them all uploaded to interfolio in February. Which was lucky, because two of them had to be re-submitted because they weren't signed. Trust me, you will have way more to do later besides request LOR.

Edit: There is a lot of randomness to the app process, but don't be fooled... there are definitely strategies that can help your app.

I guess I need to start contacting my LOR writers tomorrow while I'm on break, man this is creeping up!

Yeah the earlier the better.

I have interviews set up with my Biology Professor and Molecular Biochemistry Professor next week. I hope to give them ample time to construct a good LOR... I am bringing my Resume' and a draft of my personal statement. IMO, having a good MCAT score handy when you ask for a letter makes them more apt to write a glowing letter..

Last edited:
I am so over the MCAT.

25 more days. :eek:

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks everyone :) Hope you guys are relaxing for me and yes, contact your LORs ASAP! /nag

HELLO FELLOW COLLEAGUES!! Hope the new year is off to a good start!

phew, slacker.

Same here OChem really hit me hard too
-------------------

GPA---> Need some work
MCAT----> May 21!!!!! Read the intro of Kaplan's book, but starting a course soon!!
PS----> Pretty much done with first draft!!! Needs lot of reviewing
School list----> Check, although is very, very long, gotta chop down some
LORs---> Need work on this, no letters yet, but I know the professors I'm sure I'm getting them from

Three potential LORs in the work. Hey guys does a P.I count for a non-science?

what do you mean?

I've always heard 2 science, 1 non-science and ~2 "other" I'm guessing P.I would fall under other ? Someone can correct me if I'm wrong

So I had the incredibly stupid idea to study abroad THIS SPRING SEMESTER... and I have having a hell of a time right now trying to get everything organized before I leave. My school makes you do a whole mock AMCAS for the premed committee, and I need to have it earlier than everyone else. YUCK. I've been working on throwing together a personal statement for it for the past seven hours because it needs to get done ASAP. Good thing they mostly judge on GPA for this...:scared:

Send hugs

So I had the incredibly stupid idea to study abroad THIS SPRING SEMESTER... and I have having a hell of a time right now trying to get everything organized before I leave. My school makes you do a whole mock AMCAS for the premed committee, and I need to have it earlier than everyone else. YUCK. I've been working on throwing together a personal statement for it for the past seven hours because it needs to get done ASAP. Good thing they mostly judge on GPA for this...:scared:

Send hugs

you got it, good luck

Wishing my school had a pre med committee, would probably make going to get my letters of rec a whole lot less stressful I think. Now I have to write my personal statement now rather than later so I can show it to them.
Anyone else finding it incredibly scary to ask people for letters of rec? I'm pretty terrified

A P.I. is usually an "extra" fourth or fith letter. Your non-science letter should come from a humanities (english, history, or language) professor, or from a behavioral or social sciences prof.

A P.I. is usually an "extra" fourth or fith letter. Your non-science letter should come from a humanities (english, history, or language) professor, or from a behavioral or social sciences prof.

Cool, Thanks I am on it!

GPA----Check
MCAT---in the process taking it March
LORS---Already down pack from Last Cycle
I was going to apply but never took the MCAT so I already have the LORS and the Committee letter just need some updated information
School List---Yep I got FAP last year so 13 for FREE :) and then 7 other schools List from last year will suffice
PS----ALready finished going to use my PS from Last year and give and take add or subtract some things

SO I think I am GOOD!! Plus I am taking a year off for a Prestigious Fellowship :) If I get accepted hopefully to Fulbright or Luce

Wishing my school had a pre med committee, would probably make going to get my letters of rec a whole lot less stressful I think. Now I have to write my personal statement now rather than later so I can show it to them.
Anyone else finding it incredibly scary to ask people for letters of rec? I'm pretty terrified

Emailing is probably the easiest and least stressful way to go.

GPA----Check
MCAT---in the process taking it March
LORS---Already down pack from Last Cycle
I was going to apply but never took the MCAT so I already have the LORS and the Committee letter just need some updated information
School List---Yep I got FAP last year so 13 for FREE :) and then 7 other schools List from last year will suffice
PS----ALready finished going to use my PS from Last year and give and take add or subtract some things

SO I think I am GOOD!! Plus I am taking a year off for a Prestigious Fellowship :) If I get accepted hopefully to Fulbright or Luce

Hey heads up. You think have to reapply for FAP evey year.

I guess I'll post an update too:

GPA: Check...? It is what it is; not bad, not stellar, average for SDN.
MCAT: Mini Doomsday: April 9th!!! This is my last weekend of going out before I start my intense study schedule (already semi-reserved my library spot for the ENTIRE semester lol)
LORS: in process... big public school. Apparently a lot of my old professors have a no LOR policy... wtf?!
School List: All in-state, several private out-of-state (depending mostly on MCAT) and maybe back home (?). They don't have the best reputation but my family is still there.
PS: Ideas in head... need to get them out pronto!
Stress: Got the pedal to the metal!!!

You need to go and ask the professors for a Lor even if u have a committee. We have a committee and we have to submit 4 letters.. After that the committee reads tr letters, looks at ur resume and write a comprehensive letter. Most premed committees send the original letters with the comprehensive letter.

Yay for 2016 - I'll see everyone in the interview rooms of half the med schools in the country.

GPA---> Stupid science dipped a bit, but so long as I get all A's I'll remain alright
MCAT----> Done last fall before traveling abroad - not as high as I wanted, but satisfactory
PS----> Working on it, almost done with first draft, sorta kinda
School list----> at 25 right now, hope to get it down to 15-18 once I start eliminating
LORs---> I need a committee letter from my school, which I can't get until I do an interview with them some time this spring. Plus I have a LOR from my research supervisor, but I was going to get another science and a non-science just to cover my bases for some schools.

Last edited:
Wow, long time since I've been on sdn. I'll chime in.

GPA: Check
MCAT: :xf: for a good score come April
PS: First draft done
School list: Check, might add/remove a few after seeing the MCAT score
LORs: 2 done, 2 to go

Oh man I can't wait to go to med school in the city :xf:Lets hope it works out....my dream school for FOREVER has been Northwestern...but look at the reality of the situation that might not happen haha. Regardless, all the schools in the city are amazing. Who knows Glucagon, we might be classmates in near future! :) And I haven't been downtown in forever, owing to the fact that I go to school out of state :(

Haha NU has been mine as well! The first day of med school, look for the guy wearing a Glucagon shirt :laugh:

Alright, end of the break and this is where I am!

MCAT-- sadly, none. but my class starts next week. I do have all my materials and I have scanned the 30+ thread. I have a big post it on the inside cover of my planner that says "35!" let's see where that takes me :/

PS-- UGH! still just an idea on paper, but I'm going to tackle my first draft this week.

LoR-- I have asked 5 people, my non science prof rejected me of one because I had him for one lower div class, so I have to find a good non science writer.

School list, gotten through about 1/4 of the MSAR so my excel spreadsheet is making progress.

GPA-- recuperating from the ochem, just preparing to kick this quarter's ass!

Good luck guys! especially to those taking the MCAT this month :D keep us updated!:thumbup:

Alright, end of the break and this is where I am!

MCAT-- sadly, none. but my class starts next week. I do have all my materials and I have scanned the 30+ thread. I have a big post it on the inside cover of my planner that says "35!" let's see where that takes me :/

PS-- UGH! still just an idea on paper, but I'm going to tackle my first draft this week.

LoR-- I have asked 5 people, my non science prof rejected me of one because I had him for one lower div class, so I have to find a good non science writer.

School list, gotten through about 1/4 of the MSAR so my excel spreadsheet is making progress.

GPA-- recuperating from the ochem, just preparing to kick this quarter's ass!

Good luck guys! especially to those taking the MCAT this month :D keep us updated!:thumbup:

How are you doing your spreadsheet? I went through the book like 5 times looking at the different schools and put them in "order" of what I think I have a better chance, but I used pen and pencil and it is somewhere on my desk

How are you doing your spreadsheet? I went through the book like 5 times looking at the different schools and put them in "order" of what I think I have a better chance, but I used pen and pencil and it is somewhere on my desk

That would make a lot more sense, but I'm sort of an excel person ahaaha
So my columns go:

School Name
Avg GPA/sGPA
MCAT
State
R/A/S (Reach/Average/Safety)

So, my last column is kind of empty, because my GPA is not really close to the average GPA's (I would have a 3.6) so I'm going to start filling it in based on the scores I get on my MCAT practice tests.
For the states that are not CA (my home state), I'm putting in the % of OOS acceptance based on the MSAR.

so how's your prep for the MCAT going Venc? :thumbup:

That would make a lot more sense, but I'm sort of an excel person ahaaha
So my columns go:

School Name
Avg GPA/sGPA
MCAT
State
R/A/S (Reach/Average/Safety)

So, my last column is kind of empty, because my GPA is not really close to the average GPA's (I would have a 3.6) so I'm going to start filling it in based on the scores I get on my MCAT practice tests.
For the states that are not CA (my home state), I'm putting in the % of OOS acceptance based on the MSAR.

so how's your prep for the MCAT going Venc? :thumbup:

Umm I was thinking now of using 10th %, avg, OOS%. I'm not putting my state schools because I'm applying there no matter what, although their GPAs are really high. I'm a computer/tech person but excel dumb!!!!

MCAT prep :rofl: I'm not proud of my 2 pgs of Kaplan lol... I'm starting a course next week too. You?

Umm I was thinking now of using 10th %, avg, OOS%. I'm not putting my state schools because I'm applying there no matter what, although their GPAs are really high. I'm a computer/tech person but excel dumb!!!!

MCAT prep :rofl: I'm not proud of my 2 pgs of Kaplan lol... I'm starting a course next week too. You?

Hm I like the idea of the 10%, and even though I fall in the range, is that necessarily good? I mean, I'm no where close to the Median haha
As for state schools, tell me about it! Avg GPAs in the 3.8 and MCAT of like 34/35! yikes!
2pgs! you totally upped me! I have SO not made a dent in my books. though I tried using it as reference last quarter for ochem. We're MCAT twins! I like how we both start our course next week and our MCAT is on the same date :D

Hm I like the idea of the 10%, and even though I fall in the range, is that necessarily good? I mean, I'm no where close to the Median haha
As for state schools, tell me about it! Avg GPAs in the 3.8 and MCAT of like 34/35! yikes!
2pgs! you totally upped me! I have SO not made a dent in my books. though I tried using it as reference last quarter for ochem. We're MCAT twins! I like how we both start our course next week and our MCAT is on the same date :D

I know right :), I really thought you were in my school and in my class until I saw you are from CA :laugh:

Mines too >3.7, but at least the MCAT is lower

I know right :), I really thought you were in my school and in my class until I saw you are from CA :laugh:

Mines too >3.7, but at least the MCAT is lower

Before I read this, I assumed you were in CA and was going to ask you which city you're taking your course in. Glad I saved myself from that embarrassment :p

Aaaak! looking at these GPAs kill, but it's okay I guess that I fall in the 10% of schools like Harvard lol

Before I read this, I assumed you were in CA and was going to ask you which city you're taking your course in. Glad I saved myself from that embarrassment :p

Aaaak! looking at these GPAs kill, but it's okay I guess that I fall in the 10% of schools like Harvard lol

Which OOS schools you want to get in? Or all your top choices are in CA?

Which OOS schools you want to get in? Or all your top choices are in CA?

Hmmm From where I am right now, I would love to go CA, but I've been here ALL my life, so I would also enjoy getting out and living in a new state. Also, an acceptance is an acceptance, so I'd go anywhere haha we'll see about top choices as interview start rolling in but I've always been a UCSF fan not for the school per say, but I've always been a fan of the city :) what about you? what are some top choices?
BTW, is it bad that I'm only in the Illinois section, but I have 15 schools on my list?! eek! expensive!

Hmmm From where I am right now, I would love to go CA, but I've been here ALL my life, so I would also enjoy getting out and living in a new state. Also, an acceptance is an acceptance, so I'd go anywhere haha we'll see about top choices as interview start rolling in but I've always been a UCSF fan not for the school per say, but I've always been a fan of the city :) what about you? what are some top choices?
BTW, is it bad that I'm only in the Illinois section, but I have 15 schools on my list?! eek! expensive!

Well my top would be BU, Tufts, UCs, and Univ of Washington, but those dreams to keep dreaming. I found a bunch of other schools which look good. My state have 2 that are apparently very good.

You still have time, are you actually reading all the info on the first page of every school or just the tables on the right.

And about the price, I'm not even looking at that, the schools here are very expensive so it wont be that much more. I know UC is really cheap, unless the info I saw was wrong

Well my top would be BU, Tufts, UCs, and Univ of Washington, but those dreams to keep dreaming. I found a bunch of other schools which look good. My state have 2 that are apparently very good.

You still have time, are you actually reading all the info on the first page of every school or just the tables on the right.

And about the price, I'm not even looking at that, the schools here are very expensive so it wont be that much more. I know UC is really cheap, unless the info I saw was wrong

Oh nice choices! sure you'll get there :D
as for me, right now, I'm looking at it superficially based on the tables to see if I will even be considered! deeper into it, I'll start reading into the mission statement and stuff.
Making the school list also puts the School Specific discussion threads into perspective, because not that I have a list, I can go to that thread and see the activity of those accepted, waitlistied, how the interview is, and when they start sending out decisions!
Btw, never heard of Northwestern University, and their stats are CRAZY! also, their SSD thread is so short! what gives?

Oh nice choices! sure you'll get there :D
as for me, right now, I'm looking at it superficially based on the tables to see if I will even be considered! deeper into it, I'll start reading into the mission statement and stuff.
Making the school list also puts the School Specific discussion threads into perspective, because not that I have a list, I can go to that thread and see the activity of those accepted, waitlistied, how the interview is, and when they start sending out decisions!
Btw, never heard of Northwestern University, and their stats are CRAZY! also, their SSD thread is so short! what gives?

Maybe because is crazy hard to get in, I just saw those stats and look like Harvard's. 75% OSS is pretty good, although only ~2 of OOS get in

I already started doing some essays, they are ridiculous, idk what to write on some of those questions.

Maybe because is crazy hard to get in, I just saw those stats and look like Harvard's. 75% OSS is pretty good, although only ~2 of OOS get in

I already started doing some essays, they are ridiculous, idk what to write on some of those questions.

Seriously! I feel like an idiot putting that and Yale on my list, but I am in the 10% range haha
I mainly put Northwestern U because yep, of it's 75% OOS percentage!

Don't fall into that trap, no where is as good as CA. I had no desire to leave and find out how awesome I had it here. Similarly, I don't need to taste dirt to know cake tastes good :p.

Don't fall into that trap, no where is as good as CA. I had no desire to leave and find out how awesome I had it here. Similarly, I don't need to taste dirt to know cake tastes good :p.

HAHAHAH I like your analogy! ugh, I guess I'm just telling myself that another state would suffice. After looking everywhere and the MSAR and hearing stories, the conclusion is that it's so damn hard to stay in CA :(

HAHAHAH I like your analogy! ugh, I guess I'm just telling myself that another state would suffice. After looking everywhere and the MSAR and hearing stories, the conclusion is that it's so damn hard to stay in CA :(

Why is CA so hard to get into?

I just finished imputing my list of 35 schools on excel, I think I'm going to Missouri lol

It is hard to stay in CA, but definitely not impossible. I was so worried I wouldn't get in that I applied to 25 schools... then I was accepted to UCI back in October, which was my first post-interview decision. After that I canceled my three oos interviews (ohio state, vermont, & MCW). Shortly after that I was accepted to UCD. I'm still waiting to hear back after my interview at UCSF too.

It is definitely a crap shoot, after three interview in CA, I was rejected pre-interview from UCLA. My point is you never know what will happen in CA, but it is definitely possible to get in here. On SDN, people stress how hard it is, but remember that plenty of people do get in here every year.