Class of 2017 Acceptances

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

csandova

SCO c/o 2017
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I thought it would be a good idea to get this thread going for this cycle, similar to the one from last cycle. This way, we can all share as we hear back good news from the schools we applied to. Let's use the same format as last cycle's thread:

Date OptomCAS was mailed:
Interview Invitation Extended for (school name):
Date Interview Scheduled:
Accepted (indicate school attending):

OAT (AA, TS)
GPA(Overall, Science)

Extracurriculars:

Members don't see this ad.

Date OptomCAS was mailed: August 02
Interview Invitation Extended for (school name): Aug 21 (PCO) Aug 28 (ICO)
Date Interview Scheduled: Sept 07 (PCO), Oct 26(ICO)
Accepted (indicate school attending): Sept 11 (PCO), decided on attending pco

OAT (AA, TS) 310, 300
GPA(Overall, Science): overall 3.3, science 3.2

Extracurriculars:
Pre-Optometry Club, Alpha Chi Sigma (chemistry professional fraternity), currently work as a tech, shadowed 3 different doctors, volunteered in the Optometry Clinic at the local VA, double majoring in Chemistry and Biochemistry, participated in nano-particle research, and volunteered in the Opening Eyes program associated with the special olympics.

Last edited by a moderator:
Date OptomCAS was mailed: 8/23
Interview Invitation Extended for (school name): SCCO, Midwestern, Western
Date Interview Scheduled: 9/15 (SCCO), 9/27 (Midwestern), withdrew from Western
Accepted (indicate school attending): SCCO (9/17) Midwestern (10/5)... Attending SCCO!

OAT (AA, TS): 320, 310
GPA(Overall, Science): 3.86, 3.85

Extracurriculars:
Volunteered at an outreach clinic for 2 years, worked 20 hours a week, sorority, in honors college, shadowed a variety of types of optometrists, spend all of August in Ghana working with Unite for Sight and doing research, in the process of writing my senior thesis

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats everyone! Also, thanks for sharing your OAT scores. I've been studying my face off for the past 2 months in preparation for my exam on October 6, and I've been worried that my scores would not be good enough. It's good to know that schools factor in a lot of extra curricular activities and such.

Date OptomCAS was mailed: 8/09
Interview Invitation Extended for (school name): SCO, OSU
Date Interview Scheduled: 9/17 SCO, 9/24 OSU
Accepted (indicate school attending): SCO (9/19), OSU (attending, 9/24)

OAT (AA, TS) 370, 400
GPA(Overall, Science) 3.04, 3.26

Extracurriculars: na

Date OptomCAS was mailed: 7/24/12
Interview Invitation Extended for (school name): 8/1/12 (SCO), 8/22/12 (UHCO)
Date Interview Scheduled: 8/15/12 (SCO), 10/5/12 (UHCO)
Accepted (indicate school attending): 8/20/12 (SCO) - attending SCO

OAT (AA, TS) 350, 350
GPA(Overall, Science) 3.95, 3.90

Extracurriculars: university-based organizations and tons of experience working for/shadowing optometrists

Date OptomCAS was mailed: 8/09
Interview Invitation Extended for (school name): SCO, OSU
Date Interview Scheduled: 9/17 SCO, 9/24 OSU
Accepted (indicate school attending): SCO (9/19), OSU (attending, 9/24)

OAT (AA, TS) 370, 400
GPA(Overall, Science) 3.04, 3.26

Extracurriculars: na

No EC? You sir, have given me hope. DId you have exceptional LOR?

Date OptomCAS was mailed: August 2, 2012
Interview Invitation Extended for (school name): SCCO, Western, PCO, NOVA, UAB
Date Interview Scheduled: Invited to all the schools I applied to for interviews: Western (9/28), NOVA (10/5), SCCO (10/12), PCO (10/19), UAB (11/30)
Accepted (indicate school attending): Just interviewed at Western, have not heard back yet!

OAT (AA, TS) 320AA, 310TS
GPA(Overall, Science) Overall - 3.86, Science - 3.77

Extracurriculars: Chemistry TA, Shadowed optometrist a few times.

Just got accepted at Western
interviewed sept 21st
OAT
TS 320
AA 330
But 2.5 yrs optical experience

Date Interview Scheduled: Invited to all the schools I applied to for interviews: Western (9/28), NOVA (10/5), SCCO (10/12), PCO (10/19), UAB (11/30)
Accepted (indicate school attending): Just interviewed at Western, have not heard back yet!

Wow Nice! Congrats on all your interviews! :thumbup:

Date OptomCAS was mailed: 8/2/12
Interview Invitation Extended for (school name): SCCO, Pacific, NECO, Western
Date Interview Scheduled: 9/15 (SCCO), 9/21 (Pacific), 9/28 (NECO), 10/12 (Western-Cancelled)
Accepted (indicate school attending): SCCO (9/17), Pacific (10/1), Update: NECO (10/4). Leaning more towards SCCO or Pacific though. (If anyone is in the same situation deciding between the two, PM me and we can compare pros and cons of each, especially if you're from CA like me).

OAT (AA, TS) 340, 350
GPA(Overall, Science) 3.4, 3.3

Extracurriculars: VP of campus org at a top UC, volunteer work, 60 hours of shadowing

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Date OptomCAS was mailed: 02/08/2012
Interview Invitation Extended for (school name): ICO, SUNY, PCO, NECO, SCCO
Date Interview Scheduled: ICO (18/09), SUNY (24/09), PCO (26/09), declined interview at other schools
Accepted (indicate school attending): SUNY (24/09, ATTENDING!), ICO (26/09), PCO (27/09)

OAT (AA, TS): 360, 360
GPA(Overall, Science): 3.61

Extracurriculars: Lots of club involvement in university (includng pre-optom), shadowed 4 different ODs, off-campus advisor, currently working in two doctor practice as vision therapist.

Last edited:
Accepted (indicate school attending): Interviewed at western on the 9/28, got accepted 10/3!

Date Interview Scheduled: 9/15 (SCCO), 9/21 (Pacific), 9/28 (NECO), 10/12 (Western-Cancelled)
Accepted (indicate school attending): SCCO (9/17), Pacific (10/1), Waiting to hear back from NECO. Leaning more towards SCCO or Pacific though. (If anyone is in the same situation deciding between the two, PM me and we can compare pros and cons of each, especially if you’re from CA like me).

OAT (AA, TS) 340, 350

Extracurriculars: VP of campus org at a top UC, volunteer work, 60 hours of shadowing

I've been debating between Pacific and SCCO for a long time and I went with SCCO. I'm from Oregon and ready to get away from the rain. The schools are pretty similar in terms of academics (SCCO is probably more well known though) but very different in terms of location.

I'm trying to decide where I would like to go....stuck between SUNY and ICO!

Honestly, I'd say go to ICO. I smell urine at least twice a day in the subway and at least 2-3 times a week there is a homeless person on the subway sleeping there or someone spazzing out or talking to themselves. The school itself is great however. They just completely remodeled 2 floors and there are marble tables in the student lounge along with a gym. So if you can cut out the subway in your commute by using a bus or the Metro North or the LIRR then it would be a nice school to go to but only few students do this.

Accepted (indicate school attending): SCCO (9/17), Pacific (10/1), Waiting to hear back from NECO. Leaning more towards SCCO or Pacific though. (If anyone is in the same situation deciding between the two, PM me and we can compare pros and cons of each, especially if you're from CA like me).

OAT (AA, TS) 340, 350

I attended the Pacific interview the same day as you. Did you receive an acceptance letter in the mail or did you get a phone call. I haven't heard back from the school yet. Hopefully, this doesn't mean bad news is coming my way. I'm in between Pacific and SCCO but I really want to attend Pacific.

I've been debating between Pacific and SCCO for a long time and I went with SCCO. I'm from Oregon and ready to get away from the rain. The schools are pretty similar in terms of academics (SCCO is probably more well known though) but very different in terms of location.

Yeah the locations/setting could not be any more different. After a lot of thought, I think I'm leaning towards SCCO as well. Congrats on getting accepted

I attended the Pacific interview the same day as you. Did you receive an acceptance letter in the mail or did you get a phone call. I haven't heard back from the school yet. Hopefully, this doesn't mean bad news is coming my way. I'm in between Pacific and SCCO but I really want to attend Pacific.

I got a call from them on Monday letting me know I was accepted and to expect an official letter in the mail later this week. I'm sure they're still reviewing/deciding on people from our interview date because they did say it can take up to 2 weeks, so think positive and best of luck!

Date OptomCAS was mailed: 02/08/2012
Interview Invitation Extended for (school name): ICO, SUNY, PCO, NECO, SCCO
Date Interview Scheduled: ICO (18/09), SUNY (24/09), PCO (26/09), declined interview at other schools
Accepted (indicate school attending): SUNY (24/09), ICO (26/09), PCO (27/09)

OAT (AA, TS): 360, 360
GPA(Overall, Science): 3.61

Extracurriculars: Lots of club involvement in university (includng pre-optom), shadowed 4 different ODs, off-campus advisor, currently working in two doctor practice as vision therapist.

I'm trying to decide where I would like to go....stuck between SUNY and ICO!
did suny tell you on that day that you were accepted? were u the only one that got interviewed or were there a couple other ppl that were interviewed?

Date OptomCAS was mailed: 7/5
Interview Invitation Extended for (school name): ICO (9/4), Nova (9/4), PUCO (10/9)
Date Interview Scheduled: Nova (10/2), ICO (10/9) ....canceled PUCO
Accepted (indicate school attending): Nova (10/3), ICO (10/12) (not sure which one to pick yet :( )

OAT (AA, TS) 310, 290
GPA(Overall, Science): 3.25

Extracurriculars: University Wind Ensemble, Sign Language club, Sorority, shadowed 3 doctors, pre-health professionals organization, various volunteer activities, national society of leadership and success, work as an optical associate and at a department store

Congrats everyone!!

Last edited:
Date OptomCAS was mailed: 7/5
Interview Invitation Extended for (school name): ICO (9/4) and Nova (9/4)
Date Interview Scheduled: Nova (10/2), ICO (10/9)
Accepted (indicate school attending): Nova (10/3) ......I haven't gone to the interview at ICO yet

OAT (AA, TS) 310, 290
GPA(Overall, Science): 3.25

Extracurriculars: University Wind Ensemble, Sign Language club, Sorority, shadowed 3 doctors, pre-health professionals organization, various volunteer activities, national society of leadership and success, work as an optical associate and at a department store

Congrats everyone!!
How was the NOVA interview? I have mine tomorrow! Please tell me everything you remember, thanks :)

As per the fuzzy dates, we just finished the first rounds of tests at uni and I got accepted like 3 weeks back, so I'm kinda brain dead atm.

Date OptomCAS was mailed: mid August
Interview Invitation Extended for (school name): Nova, UHCO
Date Interview Scheduled: mid september for Nova, next week for UHCO
Accepted (indicate school attending): Nova, mid september.

OAT (AA, TS): 380, 390
GPA(Overall, Science). 3.85, 3.81 (as per OptomCAS)

Extracurriculars: really the only one that I even wrote down in my applications is that I have worked as a tech at an optometrist's office for ~1 yr,

They call the people that get accepted right afterward. SCCO is much better anyways. good luck!

did suny tell you on that day that you were accepted? were u the only one that got interviewed or were there a couple other ppl that were interviewed?

I was told on interview day, at the end. There was a group of 4 of us, and during the group wrap up they let us know that everyone was accepted - I think they only do this if everyone is accepted.

Date OptomCAS was mailed: 08/02
Interview Invitation Extended for (school name): Pacific, SCCO, Western
Date Interview Scheduled: Pacific (9/21), SCCO (8/30)
Accepted (indicate school attending): Pacific University

OAT (AA, TS):
GPA(Overall, Science): 3.81, 3.82

Extracurriculars:
worked as an intern at an optometrist office for a year, volunteered in the VA hospital eye clinic for six months

Date OptomCAS was mailed: 7/17
Interview Invitation Extended for (school name): UHCO
Date Interview Scheduled: UHCO (8/31)
Accepted (indicate school attending): UHCO

OAT (AA, TS):
GPA(Overall, Science): 3.7, 3.5

Extracurriculars:
Worked as an Optometric Technician, Taught a Freshman Introduction Course, Officer of Pre-Health Organization, Online/In Person tutor, Vision Screening Certified + attended Screenings, POPS, Sunday School Teacher, ~40 hours of shadowing

Last edited:
Date OptomCAS was mailed: August 02
Interview Invitation Extended for (school name): Aug 21 (PCO) Aug 28 (ICO)
Date Interview Scheduled: Sept 07 (PCO), Oct 26(ICO)
Accepted (indicate school attending): Sept 11 (PCO), decided on attending pco

OAT (AA, TS) 310, 300
GPA(Overall, Science): overall 3.3, science 3.2

Extracurriculars:
Pre-Optometry Club, Alpha Chi Sigma (chemistry professional fraternity), currently work as a tech, shadowed 3 different doctors, volunteered in the Optometry Clinic at the local VA, double majoring in Chemistry and Biochemistry, participated in nano-particle research, and volunteered in the Opening Eyes program associated with the special olympics.
Congrats! I'll be attending PCO too in the fall; sooo excited!!! I actually just sent in my deposit today to hold my seat.

We should start a Facebook page for our class; it would be great to meet everyone!

Accepted (indicate school attending): Interviewed at western on the 9/28, got accepted 10/3!

Congrats on your acceptance! :) Are the interviews at Western closed file?

Yes Western's are closed file. It was a very laid back interview as well.

Date OptomCAS was mailed: 7/17
Date Interview Scheduled: UHCO (8/31)
Accepted (indicate school attending): UHCO

OAT (AA, TS):
GPA(Overall, Science): 3.7, 3.5

Extracurriculars:
Worked as an Optometric Technician, Taught a Freshman Introduction Course, Officer of Pre-Health Organization, Online/In Person tutor, Vision Screening Certified + attended Screenings, POPS, Sunday School Teacher, ~40 hours of shadowing

Congrats on getting in to UHCO! How was the interview? UHCO is my top choice at the moment.

Hey,

I was recently accepted into OSU and sent in my deposit. Afterwards I heard from UAB, and have an interview scheduled for next week. I was wondering if anyone had info comparing the two. The money for out of state four years at UAB is a big factor leaning me towards OSU, but any info would help. Any one else going to OSU?

Thanks!

Date OptomCAS was mailed: 8/9/12
Interview Invitation Extended for (school name): NECO, PCO, SUNY
Date Interview Scheduled: NECO (9/28), SUNY (10/22 - cancelled), PCO (11/2 - cancelled)
Accepted (indicate school attending): NECO (attending)

OAT (AA, TS) (310,320)
GPA(Overall, Science) (3.51, 3.56)

Extracurriculars: 600+ hours shadowing/working for a local optometrist, Resident Assistant, biology tutor, multiple other on-campus clubs

If anyone else has been accepted and will be attending NECO, let me know!! I'm so excited!! :)

dDate OptomCAS was mailed: August 2, 2012
Accepted (indicate school attending): Got into Western and Nova. GOING TO NOVA :) Cancelling the other three interviews.

Very relaxed and nonaggressive. Everybody is super friendly and they really want you to be there. I'd just review your answer to why you want to go to Optometry school and very basic interview questions to prep. Looking forward to hopefully meeting you as a future classmate!

dDate OptomCAS was mailed: August 2, 2012
Accepted (indicate school attending): Got into Western and Nova. GOING TO NOVA :) Cancelling the other three interviews.

Sweet bro! (or bro-ette?) See you there!

Very relaxed and nonaggressive. Everybody is super friendly and they really want you to be there. I'd just review your answer to why you want to go to Optometry school and very basic interview questions to prep. Looking forward to hopefully meeting you as a future classmate!

That's good to know. I'll drop you a message if things work out for me at UHCO! I'm just waiting on optomcas to send out my app and hopefully hear back for an interview. My stats were similar to yours so I'm hoping they'll like me at the interview haha

Date OptomCAS was mailed: 08/04/12
Interview Invitation Extended for (school name): Nova, UAB, SCO, PCO, SUNY, UHCO, MCPHS,
Date Interview Scheduled: I can't even remember anymore! But I interviewed at UAB, SCO, SUNY, Nova (turned down PCO, UHCO, MCPHS)
Accepted (indicate school attending): UAB, SCO, Nova, SUNY (attending: either UAB or Nova-can't decide!)

OAT (AA, TS) 350, 360
GPA(Overall, Science) 3.6

Extracurriculars: Shadowed optometrist for several summers, University research, sorority

Date OptomCAS was mailed: 09/13/12
Interview Invitation Extended for (school name): RSO, UHCO, OSU, NOVA
Date Interview Scheduled: UHCO (10/2), RSO (10/5, canceled), OSU (11/19 [Offered before supplemental filed], canceled)
Accepted (indicate school attending): UHCO 10/2 after interview, attending

OAT (AA, TS) 380, 400
GPA(Overall, Science) 3.38

Extracurriculars: 5 years science teaching experience (I'm 27), tutoring, political party volunteerism/public relations officer, ultramarathon runner, shadowing three optometrists.

Very excited for the coming year!

Date OptomCAS was mailed: 07/26/12
Interview Invitation Extended for (school name): ICO, IU, PCO
Date Interview Scheduled: ICO(9/14), IU(9/28), PCO (11/15)
Accepted (indicate school attending): IU (10/11 and attending) and ICO (10/11)

OAT (AA, TS) 300, 310
GPA(Overall, Science) 3.66, 3.47

ExtraCurrs: Shadowed 2 optometrists, did research in fields of Genetics and currently doing in Biochemistry and also doing Biology seminar on the effects of vision from diabetes, bunch of leadership roles, worked in a bio lab, chem lab assistant, worked in a science museum for 2yrs, deans list 3x and chancellors 2x, lots of volunteering activities, and was in a fraternity

Congrats to all those who have been accepted!!!!

Last edited:
Date OptomCAS was mailed: 09/13/12
Interview Invitation Extended for (school name): RSO, UHCO, OSU, NOVA
Date Interview Scheduled: UHCO (10/2), RSO (10/5, canceled), OSU (11/19 [Offered before supplemental filed], canceled)
Accepted (indicate school attending): UHCO 10/2 after interview, attending

OAT (AA, TS) 380, 400
GPA(Overall, Science) 3.38

Extracurriculars: 5 years science teaching experience (I'm 27), tutoring, political party volunteerism/public relations officer, ultramarathon runner, shadowing three optometrists.

Very excited for the coming year!

Congrats on your acceptance! How was the interview process for you at UHCO?
I'm excited to see people here getting into UHCO as its my top choice at the moment

I'm excited to see people here getting into UHCO as its my top choice at the moment

You have great stats! You'll probably get into UHCO too!

Sent from my PC36100 using SDN Mobile

Very relaxed and inviting. The interview feedback page on the main sdn website was pretty accurate as to what to expect. You meet and eat lunch with your interviewers right before the interview.

Haven't seen too many updates on this post in a while - any other recent acceptances??

Date OptomCAS was mailed: 10/18/2012
Date Interview Scheduled: 10/23/2012
Accepted (indicate school attending): 10/23/2012 UHCO attending

OAT (AA, TS): 370, 390
GPA(Overall, Science): 3.74, 3.60

Extracurriculars: A bundle of honor societies, theater and performing arts, 20 hours of shadowing, 200+ hours of optician/OD assistant work, 1.5 years of medical assistant work, some other stuff I probably can't think of at the moment.

Date OptomCAS was mailed: Should be mailed tomorrow (10/25)
Interview Invitation Extended for (school name): 10/01
Date Interview Scheduled: SCO (10/19)
Accepted (indicate school attending): SCO (10/32)

OAT (AA, TS):
GPA(Overall, Science): 4.0, 4.0

Extracurriculars:
Honors College, NSCS, About 60+ hours of shadowing.

Date OptomCAS was mailed: 10/01
Interview invitation extended for: SCO, RSO, NSUOCO, UMSL, ICO
Date interview scheduled: SCO (10/26)-canceled, RSO (11/16)-canceled, NSUOCO (10/16)-attended, UMSL (10/19)-attended, ICO (offered, not scheduled)
Accepted: UMSL(10/22), wont hear back from NSUOCO until the end of the month

OAT: 320
GPA: 3.70
Science GPA: 3.5

Extracurriculars: University cheerleading squad, president of the chemistry club, president of the pre-professional club, university peer mentor, brief study abroad in Belize, volunteer cheer leading coach at YMCA, and I am a fitness enthusiast.

Work experience: 3 years experience working in a private practice as an ophthalmic technician and sometimes optician. I averaged about 25-30 hours per week.

Date OptomCAS was mailed: 10/01
Interview invitation extended for: SCO, RSO, NSUOCO, UMSL, ICO
Date interview scheduled: SCO (10/26)-canceled, RSO (11/16)-canceled, NSUOCO (10/16)-attended, UMSL (10/19)-attended, ICO (offered, not scheduled)
Accepted: UMSL(10/22), wont hear back from NSUOCO until the end of the month

OAT: 320
GPA: 3.70
Science GPA: 3.5

Extracurriculars: University cheerleading squad, president of the chemistry club, president of the pre-professional club, university peer mentor, brief study abroad in Belize, volunteer cheer leading coach at YMCA, and I am a fitness enthusiast.

Work experience: 3 years experience working in a private practice as an ophthalmic technician and sometimes optician. I averaged about 25-30 hours per week.

Date OptomCAS was mailed: 9/27
Interview invitation extended for: SCO, Nova, SCCO, Western
Date interview scheduled: Nova (10/10), SCO (10/19)-canceled, Western (11/30), SCCO (12/01)
Accepted: Nova (10/17), haven't attended other interviews yet

OAT: 330
GPA: 3.51
Science GPA: 3.41

Extracurriculars: Pre-optometry club member, Honors Program, Study abroad, Sorority, Children's Miracle Network and Dance Marathon volunteer work, Domestic Violence Awareness volunteer work, law office clerk, restaurant job, IM sports

Optometric Experience: VA volunteer (25+ hrs), Private Practice shadow (60 hrs), Retail setting shadow (12 hrs)