Class of 2017.... how you doin?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
DONE DONE DONE!! Finals are over!! I finally have a free weekend (for what feels like the first in ages!) SO glad to see this block go... will not miss it one bit. Onto block 7 Monday

Members don't see this ad.

Why does bacteriology make me so sad? Ready for winter break!

Members don't see this ad :)
Had an exam this morning that I'm pretty sure I rocked, and don't have another one until NEXT Friday! It's the longest break between exams I've got until Thanksgiving, and I'm going to enjoy it. I keep forgetting today isn't actually Friday, though...

Finished midterms two weeks ago and had NO motivation since :( My dog was euthanized Friday and I was in class so I didn't even know at the time. Cancer sucks, man.

Finished midterms two weeks ago and had NO motivation since :( My dog was euthanized Friday and I was in class so I didn't even know at the time. Cancer sucks, man.
Sorry about your doggy :( Mine just got diagnosed with hepatocutaneous syndrome and worrying about losing her pretty much consumes my mind all the time. It sucks!

Mizzou has posted our clinical rotation blocks!! We officially start clinics Oct 21st- so less than a year away!!!

Sometime in the coming weeks we get the "clinics talk" and get to start thinking about scheduling rotations! Eeep soo excited!!!

Mizzou has posted our clinical rotation blocks!! We officially start clinics Oct 21st- so less than a year away!!!

Sometime in the coming weeks we get the "clinics talk" and get to start thinking about scheduling rotations! Eeep soo excited!!!

Our clinics start the summer after second year aka May 2015. They also released our spring schedule with our coating ceremony date! EEK! Im super exited it is SO close!

Reactions: 1 user
I'm just going to drop this in here, as advice from a 3rd year that I wish I'd gotten... seriously, start scheduling rotations over this winter if you want to go places that book up way in advance. Especially zoo people. I'm trying to get into Best Friends sanctuary and may have juuussst barely sneaked in, having waited until we actually have a schedule. Don't wait for your school to give you info, because from what I can tell, every single school suffers from being really behind the ball game on these things.

Humane Alliance in Asheville booked up in late April for the entire '15/'16 year... when I contacted them significantly earlier, they were already full until January! So try and get things like that done ASAP if you can. :)

I'm just going to drop this in here, as advice from a 3rd year that I wish I'd gotten... seriously, start scheduling rotations over this winter if you want to go places that book up way in advance. Especially zoo people. I'm trying to get into Best Friends sanctuary and may have juuussst barely sneaked in, having waited until we actually have a schedule. Don't wait for your school to give you info, because from what I can tell, every single school suffers from being really behind the ball game on these things.

Humane Alliance in Asheville booked up in late April for the entire '15/'16 year... when I contacted them significantly earlier, they were already full until January! So try and get things like that done ASAP if you can. :)
How do you even know where you want to go? I know I want to do some stuff at UF if it's possible but I don't even know the protocol for that kind of thing because we haven't had any information about 3rd year... we have our first meeting about it next Monday.

How do you even know where you want to go? I know I want to do some stuff at UF if it's possible but I don't even know the protocol for that kind of thing because we haven't had any information about 3rd year... we have our first meeting about it next Monday.

The fact that you're getting a meeting before the fall of 3rd year is fabulous! The UF website probably has information for visiting students, although I personally didn't arrange any academic externships so I'm not super familiar with the process. I would bet they have very specific dates that they process applications, so my advice might not be super applicable.

The fact that you're getting a meeting before the fall of 3rd year is fabulous! The UF website probably has information for visiting students, although I personally didn't arrange any academic externships so I'm not super familiar with the process. I would bet they have very specific dates that they process applications, so my advice might not be super applicable.
We start rotations at the beginning of third year, so I'd hope we'd get a meeting before then! Thanks for pointing me in the right direction :) Hopefully after this meeting, I can get to work on scheduling some!

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh darn, I always forget 2+2 schools exist! :p
We even have some rotations before third year! I had a surgery/anesthesia rotation today and got to scrub in and assist in a rabbit spay! I think it definitely helps motivate throughout the years.

Sorry Abs :( What is it you're struggling with - material, time management, motivation? Is there anyone at your school that you could talk to to get some advice or even just encouraging words?
Yeah. I'm working with people. And I very recently decided to treat something my pride wouldn't let me treat prior.

5 days of class & 2 exams until thanksgiving break!!! So excited to have a whole week off and get to spend some time with my husband !!!

5 days of class & 2 exams until thanksgiving break!!! So excited to have a whole week off and get to spend some time with my husband !!!
Same about the five days and 2 exams, but I will be spending thanksgiving in the lab trying to make progress on my research. :(

No, I will try to in between semesters, or my mum promised she would try to come to me.

Aww dang, well I hope you have a good group of peeps to eat some thanksgiving food with!!! You definitely deserve some turkey after spending your break in the lab!!!

We don't get a whole week off for Thanksgiving, just Thursday and Friday...and I have 5 exams between me and break! :eek:

We don't get a whole week off for Thanksgiving, just Thursday and Friday...and I have 5 exams between me and break! :eek:

That's how my undergrad was, always hated it. If nothing else the extra days makes getting home and back less stressful, too far to pull a Thursday morning drive like I used to be able to (only if I had to stay for something, would usually ditch classes that week...)

That's exactly how it is for me. I'm still planning on flying home. We don't have class on Monday until 1 PM so I'm just catching an early flight back.

No break at all for me, but it's ok because this year is the year I get 3 Thanksgivings :) SCAVMA is putting one on for us this Thursday, then my parents are coming to visit me for real Thanksgiving (not celebrated here but the Marriott resort here puts one on for the public/tourists staying at their hotel) and then we're doing a potluck at a friend's house the Saturday after Thanksgiving. I'm pumped! I may need to do double workouts this week though.

Just finished a string of 4 exams in 10 days and I think I made it out alive. Just coasting through until finals, less than a month until I'm back in the states :) I love this semester, I'm going to miss it.

The urge to vomit is strong today. Just need to get through today's exam and can semi relax for maybe 12 hrs?

We started repro block last week, learning about udders and mastitis. This week is all about the vag. Oh, vet school.

Wahoo! Done with Infectios Disease Lab! Drink 6-pack in preparation to take Pharm on Friday. Drink more after Friday to get to Infections lecture exam on Monday. Drink to celebrate through Turkey Break (After lab work of course) to get to Parasit Lab final Tuesday and SA Diagnosis Final Wed. Then it's Finals week and DONE to celebrate with the good whiskey! I am excite!

Well, that clin path final was harder than I was expecting. But, I'm going to see the Hunger Games tonight so all is well with the world!

Reactions: 1 users
Wahooo!! Pharm exam yesterday and public health exam today- now we just have class the rest of today and tomorrow and then home free!!! Now I just pray my flights hold up flying to upstate NY on Monday !!!

Yay!! Like KPow said we finished out last two exams between now and Thanksgiving break!! Today we talked about setting up our clinical schedules for the first time... so exciting! Now, I'm about to rest, start playing some Dragon Age: Inquisition today (Pokemon: Alpha Sapphire tomorrow), and go see Mockingjay tonight with friends :D

Got to neuter a couple of tiny kittens yesterday, whoo! Also got to monitor anesthesia on a couple spays after settling up the whole she-bang and hooking it up all on my own. Definitely feeling more comfortable with anesthesia, although nothing has gone wrong yet that I've had to deal with. Super proud that I can get a catheter in on a little kitten after not touching a catheter for 6 months, too!

Had a warm day today and our classroom ended up doubling as a sauna. Tomorrow is supposed to be cold and now I'm not sure whether to bundle up for winter or unpack my summer clothes again...learning while sweating is not my strong suit.

Just got back by far the worst exam score I've gotten in vet school :( But the worst part is I feel like I can't complain because I at least passed, which is better than some people. I'm just not used to this... at least not from vet school. This past month has been going much more like my first 3 years of undergrad (not starting studying until the night before the test and having absolutely no idea what the answers to some questions on tests are), and I'm really not a fan. Oh well. At least this time around it's because I'm actually just really busy and not because I'm at home depressed and sleeping all day. At least it's worth it for all the extra curricular experiences I've had this semester.

Just got back by far the worst exam score I've gotten in vet school :( But the worst part is I feel like I can't complain because I at least passed, which is better than some people. I'm just not used to this... at least not from vet school. This past month has been going much more like my first 3 years of undergrad (not starting studying until the night before the test and having absolutely no idea what the answers to some questions on tests are), and I'm really not a fan. Oh well. At least this time around it's because I'm actually just really busy and not because I'm at home depressed and sleeping all day. At least it's worth it for all the extra curricular experiences I've had this semester.
I got one of those recently. A lot of my exam scores lately have been sub-par. I don't expect to get straight A's or anything, but this last slew of exams has been less than ideal for my GPA. I'm really hoping it was just a phase (since I did do pretty stellar on the latest exam) and I can get my butt in gear for finals.

I got one of those recently. A lot of my exam scores lately have been sub-par. I don't expect to get straight A's or anything, but this last slew of exams has been less than ideal for my GPA. I'm really hoping it was just a phase (since I did do pretty stellar on the latest exam) and I can get my butt in gear for finals.
I know, it's this downward trend that worries me more than anything else. I'm just not good with all this straight up memorization stuff. I really need to learn how to not procrastinate on that stuff, because you can't memorize that much crap the night before an exam.

OMG Virology. This is a class you could take your entire life and still not grasp the material and he class has not been taught in a clinically relevant manner. :barf:

OMG Virology. This is a class you could take your entire life and still not grasp the material and he class has not been taught in a clinically relevant manner. :barf:
UGH I was just coming on here to post the same thing. My viro final today was soul-sucking in the most awful way.

Pharm tomorrow and I'm even more terrified because I have less wiggle room. And yet here I am...sigh.

UGH I was just coming on here to post the same thing. My viro final today was soul-sucking in the most awful way.

Pharm tomorrow and I'm even more terrified because I have less wiggle room. And yet here I am...sigh.

The Victoria Secret fashion show just came on and is making me feel awful about the 10 chocolate chip cookies I ate today in my study coma. Ugg...

The Victoria Secret fashion show just came on and is making me feel awful about the 10 chocolate chip cookies I ate today in my study coma. Ugg...
I watched a couple minutes of that and had these lovely thoughts of being so in shape and looking so awesome... and then I looked at the chips and dip I was eating and the eggnog I was drinking. All those thoughts vanished.

Spiffy. I have virology next semester.

Right now I feel like I should be far more concerned for finals next week than I am. Meh.

Speaking of virology.. The professor I have this semester is encouraging me to take it next semester with him. It would just add an extra science class and I was planning on taking a wellness course (strength training) since I usually take 1 per semester. Yall think it would be beneficial for me to take it in undergrad?