Class of 2017.... how you doin?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
It wouldn't hurt to take virology in undergrad, but honestly, vet school virology is more about having shallow knowledge of individual viruses, mode of transmission, pathophysiology, etc... So not sure how much difference it will make. Take it if it's a subject that interests you and you want to take it +/- need more science classes for application purposes. Don't if you just want it to help you when you go to vet school.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
I've reached the point of finals week in which I have lost all interest in caring about anything. And the worst part is, I kept thinking it was Wednesday all day yesterday, meaning that it kept feeling like it was Thursday this morning which made me feel like today would be my last day of this studying marathon. But it's not. I thought my two hour walk plus photography adventure in our frosty wonderland earlier today would be a good enough break to get me going again... but here I am on SDN, instead of reading about all of the diseases for which carcasses need to be condemned at slaughter.

Reactions: 1 users
I've reached the point of finals week in which I have lost all interest in caring about anything. And the worst part is, I kept thinking it was Wednesday all day yesterday, meaning that it kept feeling like it was Thursday this morning which made me feel like today would be my last day of this studying marathon. But it's not. I thought my two hour walk plus photography adventure in our frosty wonderland earlier today would be a good enough break to get me going again... but here I am on SDN, instead of reading about all of the diseases for which carcasses need to be condemned at slaughter.

Hey I spent an entire hour last night photographing my cats in my living room. =)

Though I got an A in Virology today that was the fastest exam turn over we've ever had. It was averaged with out Microbiology grade for our final class grade though.

Members don't see this ad :)
Done!!!!!!!!! And today's exam, which I was really worried about after the awfulness that was the last exam for that class and the unpredictability of the grades for our final project, went really well! I just wish I wasn't volunteering tonight/working all weekend so that I could actually crash a little before having to tackle the long list of non-academic to-dos that have been put off for the past 6 weeks. Aka, finish finding people to lecture about public health for Symposium and get emails out to all of my people about sending me their lecture notes since the due date is only a little over a month away. Bleh. Now I feel stressed.

One more exam! I can't wait to go home, although the 14 hour flight is nothing to sneeze at.

Yikes, long trip home.

I have four finals to go but then my flight is only 75 minutes ;)

EDIT: haha I just realized this is my 2017th post. Fitting thread.
Yeah, that's just one of the flights, actually. I believe I have a 12 hour layover as well, because the airport has a curfew. I leave on the 19th and technically don't get in until the 23rd because of the time change.

Four more exams this week and them I am done. I have been mentally cooked for a while though.

One. More. In one hour. So close.

giphy.gif

Praise the Lord we are DONE!!!!! Now 2 weeks of relaxation and maybe a couple days in a clinic before it all starts again. Safe travels everyone and Happy Holidays!

Reactions: 1 user
Yeah, that's just one of the flights, actually. I believe I have a 12 hour layover as well, because the airport has a curfew. I leave on the 19th and technically don't get in until the 23rd because of the time change.
Yikes! That's a long trip. I'm super thankful my drive is only 2 1/2 hours despite being an OOS student (and my IS is 6-7 hours away...).

Officially DONE with this block... two pretty challenging exams (out of the ones we had) but they all went well. I've done my two day drive home with my two boys... and SO glad to be be here! I have a ton of Christmas shopping to go do and need to find time to actually relax on my break. Here's to two weeks without having to study!

Members don't see this ad :)
Aaand my car wouldn't start so I had to book it, as in pull up my hoodie and fast walk. Usually is a 25 minute walk, wheezed in 1 minute past the hour with a shaved time of 21 minutes. Not bad for being an incredibly out of shape crank on a Monday morning. :hungover:

Today at our clinics meeting we found out our graduation date... May 12, 2017 !!! I can't even believe it! And we 'should' have our clinics schedule by spring break... Ish is getting real!!

Aaand my car wouldn't start so I had to book it, as in pull up my hoodie and fast walk. Usually is a 25 minute walk, wheezed in 1 minute past the hour with a shaved time of 21 minutes. Not bad for being an incredibly out of shape crank on a Monday morning. :hungover:
Aww I could have come and picked you up!

Officially finished my second draft of my first grant proposal ever! I deserve a nap after all this, but instead I'm jetting off to NAVC for almost a whole week of lectures, yay!

Officially finished my second draft of my first grant proposal ever! I deserve a nap after all this, but instead I'm jetting off to NAVC for almost a whole week of lectures, yay!
It's a lot of fun. If you want to say hi, let me know. I'll be around all week

When you almost have to drop an elective simply because you didn't see an email until 2 hours after it was sent out...
Prof sent out a google doc to sign up for our 6 required shifts at the shelter. When I opened it the only day of the week open every week is the only day I have a meeting right in the middle of the shifts every week...Thank goodness for nice classmates who were willing to switch me.

When you almost have to drop an elective simply because you didn't see an email until 2 hours after it was sent out...
Prof sent out a google doc to sign up for our 6 required shifts at the shelter. When I opened it the only day of the week open every week is the only day I have a meeting right in the middle of the shifts every week...Thank goodness for nice classmates who were willing to switch me.
You slightly cray. But I still love you.

Also, you get to be my "teacher" for said class today at 1! :clap:
Yeah I do! Speaking of which, I should probably get my lazy butt off the couch and head to the shelter...

We just got an email that states we have to pick our clinical track before tomorrow. Say what? I am 99% sure I want to focus on equine but that 1% of me feels like I just signed away my life.

We just got an email that states we have to pick our clinical track before tomorrow. Say what? I am 99% sure I want to focus on equine but that 1% of me feels like I just signed away my life.
That is rough. One of the reasons I went with OKstate. All round and you pick your interests through clubs and externships. I don't like being forced to commit to something before I am ready.

And we are back. Seriously need to get motivated (though it is day 1)

I can definitely say I'm not a fan of Radiology at all.... but really liking Clin Path this block! Hang in there @Lupin21

Yeesh. This semester is grating on my nerves. Took a test today that I barely studied for, and it will show. Just can't get my care on. I think the classes just aren't stimulating my want to learn. :penguin:
I'm pretty sure it's because everything we're learning about causes everything to die.

I just finished my 5th exam in two weeks today and it is a whole WHOOPING 10 days until our next one. I treated myself to a facial and warm oil scalp massage followed up by a lovely ride on my pony. Oh and todays exam was ridiculously fair there was so much to study I feel like the professor was super kind. However, I have discovered that I will NOT be a good surgeon worst grade on an exam in second year so far. Never the less a good ending to this exam session. :D

I just realized the past 2 hours of lecture during which I have been writing grants and sending emails instead of paying attention is going to be on my exam in 2 days. Smart decision, right there. On the upside, our group got a sticker and a "great job!" on our clin path homework we just got back. And no one has shown up yet to teach our last 2 hours of lecture for the day, so probably heading home early!

Yeesh. This semester is grating on my nerves. Took a test today that I barely studied for, and it will show. Just can't get my care on. I think the classes just aren't stimulating my want to learn. :penguin:
Yep, that grade definitely showed. Haven't made a score that low in some time. Probably since first semester first year. Sigh.

Need some feel good vibes for tomorrows radiology exam... apparently the A students last year barely scraped by with C's on this exam...Our final exam is supposed to "pull us up", but ugh, hearing how crappy this exam is is very disheartening. :boom:

Need some feel good vibes for tomorrows radiology exam... apparently the A students last year barely scraped by with C's on this exam...Our final exam is supposed to "pull us up", but ugh, hearing how crappy this exam is is very disheartening. :boom:
Same boat here, only we have a brand new professor so no one really knows what to expect. Based off pop quizzes, the average should hover between 50-75. :(

Last edited:
I'm pretty terrified for tomorrow's exam; especially since I didn't do very well on the first one. Just keep trucking, I guess :/ IDK what else to do. Sending good thoughts for you too, @Lupin21

I'm pretty terrified for tomorrow's exam; especially since I didn't do very well on the first one. Just keep trucking, I guess :/ IDK what else to do. Sending good thoughts for you too, @Lupin21
Sending hopes for exceptional intuition back at youz guys! Mizzou/OK :biglove: 4 eva!

I just legitimately failed an exam. Hoping that I can finally get rid of this migraine tonight so I can effectively study for the next exam this weekend.

Had a moment of "Oh my god, I'm poor," yesterday. I think we were all (or least, I hope) aware of what our loan situation would be like when we graduate, when we started vet school. It just kind of hit me yesterday because I'm supposed to be traveling to another state for research this summer (ie paying rent for two places) and just got told that my funding is effectively cut in half from what I expected... and it was already going to be hard enough to afford before this :( I'm just so tired of being broke all the time and living on rice and beans and ramen. I got into vet school when I was 19, I didn't have a ton of time to build up my savings before starting vet school.

Had a moment of "Oh my god, I'm poor," yesterday. I think we were all (or least, I hope) aware of what our loan situation would be like when we graduate, when we started vet school. It just kind of hit me yesterday because I'm supposed to be traveling to another state for research this summer (ie paying rent for two places) and just got told that my funding is effectively cut in half from what I expected... and it was already going to be hard enough to afford before this :( I'm just so tired of being broke all the time and living on rice and beans and ramen. I got into vet school when I was 19, I didn't have a ton of time to build up my savings before starting vet school.
:( I know those feels.

I didn't have time to build up savings either and I got in at how old was I again? Meh, I forget, I think I was 24...

I had undergrad loans that I had to start paying on after I graduated and in the 2 years it took to get in. So really didn't have any savings building up.

The money thing sucks.. I had to fight them to get an increase cost of attendance the first semester I was here, somehow they expected me to survive off of $3500 over 4 months... :lame:

Took in all my bills and expenses to get things covered because they had to have proof of what your expenses are. I pulled out a bill for internet and she goes, "Well, I can tell you they probably won't count that." I said, "That is odd, you allow all your undergraduates living in the dorms to have internet, why should it be different for me?" She shut up real fast...

Anyway, I am kind of in a similar boat, I had set aside what would have been enough money for my one externship I set up next year, but between the cat and the car, I am having significant doubts on if I will be able to afford to go. The other option I have is to attempt to get it approved as a preceptorship and then since I would be going "for credit" I can get the cost covered by loans, but not sure I really want to pull out more loans. I do really, really want to go on this externship though, so I am still debating back and forth and seeing how things go.

Spending this lovely Valentine's Day reading my GI notes outloud to my fiance for my midterm Monday. Two minutes later he's leaned back in his chair, snoring louder than I can read. Whoops.

In happier news, my mare's second foal and my baby's little brother was born last night! Now to think up a show name...