Class of 2017.... how you doin?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Spending this lovely Valentine's Day reading my GI notes outloud to my fiance for my midterm Monday. Two minutes later he's leaned back in his chair, snoring louder than I can read. Whoops.
HAHAHAHAHA. At least it's not cardio :p

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Well, I don't care to make up this day at some point, but it is a bit of a saving grace because I did not study or do my Pharm assignment this weekend due to trying to get lab work done. The question is, will I just put on netflix and still make no progress...

Snow day for Mizzou! We have an exam tomorrow so I should spend the day studying.. we also have stuff to listen to to make up for today bleh.. I just wanna be lazy and snuggle my puppy!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Submitted my first grant proposal today! Now to just cross my fingers and wait.

Reactions: 2 users
Had a pretty good weekend; but this week is now finals week. Only 4 exams, and at this point you get so far in you just aren't really worked up over having a lot of exams... Just not feeling *too* stressed over them at this point. But still, not looking forward to the studying. Also that really awful radiology exam we had I apparently rocked it. Not sure how that happened, but ended up being super pleased with my score (even without the generous curve, I would've been happy!)

Had a pretty good weekend; but this week is now finals week. Only 4 exams, and at this point you get so far in you just aren't really worked up over having a lot of exams... Just not feeling *too* stressed over them at this point. But still, not looking forward to the studying. Also that really awful radiology exam we had I apparently rocked it. Not sure how that happened, but ended up being super pleased with my score (even without the generous curve, I would've been happy!)
Just wanted to say that I love your new icon
Carry on

Can I just say... FREEDOM!! Finals week is over! It wasn't too awful this round... but glad to have a weekend of freedom and no commitments!

Lets just say no money exchanged hands for those books.

So i dug this bad boy up from way back when we were firsties.... Im trying to get Fossums surgery book as an ebook... Can you help a girl out? Shoot me a PM if so hahaha

Members don't see this ad :)
So, I just posted this over in c/o 2015 as a response to a fellow c/o 2015er, and then thought "well, that was dumb.... post it in c/o 2017 you idiot". Since I think you guys are in that time where you start to think about rotations (right?), here's the post for any of you small-animal people who want a lot of hands-on soft-tissue surgery time:

If there are any other c/o 2017ers cruising this thread who are starting to think about rotations, they should also check out http://www.northlandspayneuter.org/ (in Duluth, MN). Generally speaking, I got around 10 procedures/day there. Usually 2-3 dog spays, 2-3 dog neuters, 2-3 cat spays, and then a table of cat neuters. They do all their procedures in that order (canine spay, neuter, feline spay, neuter), so you and the vet just plug away at the same time. She leaves you to do it however you like, but she's right over at the other Sx table if you need her. It's a great balance of having someone there to help if you need it but not having anyone creeping over your shoulder if you don't. All told (I kinda lost track because I wasn't really counting the cat neuters since it's just 'line them up and go') I did somewhere between 80-100 procedures on my externship there.

I'll also add that while it's very hit or miss, if there are other procedures (amputation, enucleation, herniation, crypt, .......), she gives you first dibs at them.

I just came from the c/o 2015 thread and thought to myself, "Why didn't he post this in c/o 2017? Not all of us creep on all the threads..."

Then I come here and here it is. Way to read my mind.

I just came from the c/o 2015 thread and thought to myself, "Why didn't he post this in c/o 2017? Not all of us creep on all the threads..."

Then I come here and here it is. Way to read my mind.

And yet you were creeping on the other thread, even before checking this one.... :p

Thank you @LetItSnow !!! I love creeping the 2015 page - Its one of my fave sources of info :) And I will Definitely look into that! Do they have housing available? - I didnt see it on the website. We get our clinic schedule in about 3 weeks and then can begin setting up preceptorships in our time off. I cant believe how close we are to clinics!!

Thank you @LetItSnow !!! I love creeping the 2015 page - Its one of my fave sources of info :) And I will Definitely look into that! Do they have housing available? - I didnt see it on the website. We get our clinic schedule in about 3 weeks and then can begin setting up preceptorships in our time off. I cant believe how close we are to clinics!!

No housing, which can make it expensive.

That is crazy. I still have another year of class :confused:

Im done. :bag:

Over it. :bigtears:

Exhausted.:sleep:

Dead. :dead:

Don't care. :bag:

Beaten. :blackeye:

Yeah, and aren't you doing PhD too? It will be so weird stepping away from you guys for me starting next year. I will miss youz guyz!! :cryi:
For some reason, I am indeed.. A chunk of my DVM classes should count towards it(and I've taken some grad credits on top of the vet schedule) so hopefully it won't be too much more class after clinics.

Haha, yea we start clinics Oct 21st this year!!!! EEEEEEP!!!! - @Frozenshades you shoulda come to Mizzou!!

Too little too late :laugh:

So, I just posted this over in c/o 2015 as a response to a fellow c/o 2015er, and then thought "well, that was dumb.... post it in c/o 2017 you idiot". Since I think you guys are in that time where you start to think about rotations (right?), here's the post for any of you small-animal people who want a lot of hands-on soft-tissue surgery time:

I'll also add that while it's very hit or miss, if there are other procedures (amputation, enucleation, herniation, crypt, .......), she gives you first dibs at them.

Do you know if there are any requirements as far as externing there? I've done enough cat neuters to feel comfortable but only a couple dog neuters and I did my first dog spay last week so I'm not exactly the most experienced.

Do you know if there are any requirements as far as externing there? I've done enough cat neuters to feel comfortable but only a couple dog neuters and I did my first dog spay last week so I'm not exactly the most experienced.

None that I'm aware of - I think it's open to any fourth year student as a two-week externship.

None that I'm aware of - I think it's open to any fourth year student as a two-week externship.
Ah, fourth year. Totally missed that and was hoping to schedule it for one of my breaks between rotations next year. That makes more sense :)

Got fitted for our surgical gowns, gloves, and took home our own handy dandy suture kit today.

Hmmm. I think after two months of restlessness, I might finally be starting to settle down and study somewhat earlier than 14 hours before test time. I have moved into a more reasonable 36 hour time frame of reviewing material. I find it somewhat necessary since I rarely go to class and generally haven't looked at the material at all until test time rolls around.

To any future students reading this, do not ever look to me for the appropriate study methods for vet school. :nono:

Hmmm. I think after two months of restlessness, I might finally be starting to settle down and study somewhat earlier than 14 hours before test time. I have moved into a more reasonable 36 hour time frame of reviewing material. I find it somewhat necessary since I rarely go to class and generally haven't looked at the material at all until test time rolls around.

To any future students reading this, do not ever look to me for the appropriate study methods for vet school. :nono:

Meh. You're passing. It's working :laugh:

We are in our first round of SA medicine classes... and they have hit us with all things neuro for our first exam... I am hating life at the moment, I am generally just in a funk. bleh.

Nah, you're doing it right. ;)

That was one rough of a first internal med exam. Apparently it was the hardest of the bunch (neuro stuff -_-). So if I can survive that, I'll be golden. Just small animal surgery exam to go this afternoon... then packing and leaving for SAVMA tomorrow!

That was one rough of a first internal med exam. Apparently it was the hardest of the bunch (neuro stuff -_-). So if I can survive that, I'll be golden. Just small animal surgery exam to go this afternoon... then packing and leaving for SAVMA tomorrow!

I thought it went way better than what ive heard from the 3rd years! The GI section is already going so much better!!!

We get clinics schedules within the week - 2 weeks at max!!! AHHHHH!!!!

I am in such a funk. I took this Spring Break to ride along with an ambulatory equine veterinarian as I have decided this is where I want to focus. It was my original plan when I decided I wanted to go to vet school but I've teched in small animals for the past several years. I've gotten to hone my skills with some equine stuff that I hadn't down in a while and its been going well. However I am so incredibly bored and can not imagine spending the rest of my life driving between farms. I have spent this entire week at home moping and being completely lost. This stuff used to interest me so much and I used to love riding in the truck.

Right now I am regretting not taking my animal science undergrad and my masters in management and not running far away with my lack of debt and working for some major agriculture company.

I am in such a funk. I took this Spring Break to ride along with an ambulatory equine veterinarian as I have decided this is where I want to focus. It was my original plan when I decided I wanted to go to vet school but I've teched in small animals for the past several years. I've gotten to hone my skills with some equine stuff that I hadn't down in a while and its been going well. However I am so incredibly bored and can not imagine spending the rest of my life driving between farms. I have spent this entire week at home moping and being completely lost. This stuff used to interest me so much and I used to love riding in the truck.

Right now I am regretting not taking my animal science undergrad and my masters in management and not running far away with my lack of debt and working for some major agriculture company.
If its the driving that bothers you the most, have you thought about shadowing at an equine place that has a clinic and sees appointments there? Or possibly one that works with racehorses and only drives from barn to barn at the track? Track medicine can be very fast paced but it's definitely a whole new world in there.

I'm sorry you are in a funk. I think it's natural to not know what you want to do. I know I have no clue. I keep telling myself that once we hit clinics we will have a better idea. At least I hope so.

Don't yall start clinics super soon?

When I didn't get a lab animal residency (what I went to school for and what I was convinced I wanted to do) I felt the same way. Lost, terrified, regretting not doing something plain and normal and debt-free. I'm applying for small animal jobs now and I'm feeling like I can make it work. I know it sounds crazy, but you really do have time to "figure it out" so to speak. A good friend of mine still doesn't actually know what she wants to do, but she's going to get work and go from there. Hopefully you're still excited enough about the medicine/treating animals/etc. part to find a way to be happy in the field, but I know it isn't an easy road. Just keep swimming!

I highly recommend mixed animal. We've got only half a day at a time, 3-4x a week, on the road (the rest is SA appts or surgery), but we have a relatively small practice radius so its not all that much driving- less than 35 minutes from farthest corner to farthest corner, most clients much closer than that. every ambulatory practice is different, it's all about finding the right fit! I love the farm calls but I would get bored doing it all day every day. The small animal is a nice break from that, especially in the winter.

Or when I want to escape the small animal world, I've got satellite radio in the truck and my dog copilots :)

. Hopefully you're still excited enough about the medicine/treating animals/etc. part to find a way to be happy in the field, but I know it isn't an easy road. Just keep swimming!

Quoted for truth. After I didn't get a CFIA internship between second and third year, I shifted my focus to lab animal medicine. Then when I didn't get a residency, I started looking at private practice. I am now about to graduate with a very good job lined up at a small animal-hopefully-branching-into-equine-too practice. You have time.

We got our clinical schedules today!!!! I'm pretty excited I got everything I wanted!!! Only bad thing is I got my 2- 2 week blocks within the first 8 weeks. But I can live with tht and have options to switch so I'm happy!!! Things are getting real!!!!

Reactions: 1 users

I am right there with you if misery loves company. I have been falling severely behind this semester as I had to make a decision to join the DVM/PhD program or not and choose a mentor if I should go that route. About a month or so ago, I decided I should go for it, but hadn't actually gotten around to the paper work to confirm that choice. I went ahead and got it filled out and was just lacking the Statement of Purpose (which is somewhat like rewriting a PS :lame:) when I was told that everyone had forgotten that I got in off pre-reqs, no BS... meaning Grad school apps require a BS.

I am lucky that I am now great friends with the Associate Dean and he is going to bat for me, but I am still left out in the cold while a decision is made whether or not to break the rules for little ol' me. I had come to vet school knowing that I might go the research route, but still loved mixed GP as well. I have thus far dedicated myself to the research side, but now that that is in jeopardy from a stupid piece of paper, I have to reevaluate everything. I am lightyears behind my classmates as far as practical experience, and need to possibly adjust my mind frame once more to yet another career path.

Anyway, lots more at play than what I have written here, and what it boils down to, if you wanna chat with someone else going through a mid-life crisis, my second actually, PM me. :)

I am right there with you if misery loves company. I have been falling severely behind this semester as I had to make a decision to join the DVM/PhD program or not and choose a mentor if I should go that route. About a month or so ago, I decided I should go for it, but hadn't actually gotten around to the paper work to confirm that choice. I went ahead and got it filled out and was just lacking the Statement of Purpose (which is somewhat like rewriting a PS :lame:) when I was told that everyone had forgotten that I got in off pre-reqs, no BS... meaning Grad school apps require a BS.

I am lucky that I am now great friends with the Associate Dean and he is going to bat for me, but I am still left out in the cold while a decision is made whether or not to break the rules for little ol' me. I had come to vet school knowing that I might go the research route, but still loved mixed GP as well. I have thus far dedicated myself to the research side, but now that that is in jeopardy from a stupid piece of paper, I have to reevaluate everything. I am lightyears behind my classmates as far as practical experience, and need to possibly adjust my mind frame once more to yet another career path.

Anyway, lots more at play than what I have written here, and what it boils down to, if you wanna chat with someone else going through a mid-life crisis, my second actually, PM me. :)

ick. Stupid rules. Hang in there!

Would they award you a BS like one of the 3+1 programs or does that require geneds too?

Would they award you a BS like one of the 3+1 programs or does that require geneds too?
30- credits or 2 semesters for rules. No one wants to just give me a bachelors because technically I never attended one institution for my credits. This is where I belong in the years of old where it counted that I maintained a commendable GPA for 16o units no matter where I took the classes, but because I spread my hippy love, no one place received x amount of credits. The system of now a days with no individualism can put a... well... strain on why individualism is hard to make its place outside the box in this world.

Yeah I wouldn't think they'd be so opposed; you're already in another doctorate program after all. I was just told that I'll need to finish my DVM to have a degree before they'll grant me a PhD.