Class of 2017.... how you doin?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Can it be Friday yet? :confused:

Normally I'd agree, but I have a test on Friday then I have to prepare for Monday's test and my first surgery :bookworm:

Next few weeks are about to get real busy

Members don't see this ad.

This is the freaking block of hell. Therio exam 2 down today. It was a lot smoother than the first one.. Now to study for 3 more exams this week and I haven't studied anything but Therio since last Wednesday. Next week we are exam free Praise the Lord!! But then the next week is finals week / White coat weekend and then CLINICS!!!!!

Finished my first block of clinics! :soexcited: Now I just have to pass exams... I'm SO excited to go home and see my dog this week too! It still feels weird to come home and not see her.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Vet OSCE tomorrow. New idea from the new school management. Supposedly to ensure we're prepared for clinics, but all of a sudden we need to be comfortable with 80 small animal skills and 25 large animal ones so they can pull 6 out of a hat to have us do. Ortho, neuro, optho exams etc.

2 weeks from today we start clinics.. It simply blows my mind how far we have come. After 2 weeks of hell- we finally catch a break this week and just have a couple quizzes here and there. Then next week is finals week and white coat!

2 weeks from today we start clinics.. It simply blows my mind how far we have come. After 2 weeks of hell- we finally catch a break this week and just have a couple quizzes here and there. Then next week is finals week and white coat!
I love clinics so much. Going back into the classroom for public health is going to be rough.

Exam tomorrow, surgery tomorrow, and I have a minor cold. Yay...

Y'all my surgery group is spaying/neutering a dog on Tuesday and WTF. WTFFFFFFF we are doing surgery... on a live animal... who is supposed to wake up afterward and live their life... ???

??? Like WHO AUTHORIZED THIS???

Majorly feeling the impostor syndrome rn.

Y'all my surgery group is spaying/neutering a dog on Tuesday and WTF. WTFFFFFFF we are doing surgery... on a live animal... who is supposed to wake up afterward and live their life... ???

??? Like WHO AUTHORIZED THIS???

Majorly feeling the impostor syndrome rn.
It's so much easier once you're in there. Like, you're all going to freak out, prepare well, and then you're going to get there and it's much simpler than you expect - if you have cool surgeons around, it makes it like 120% better, too, because this is so chill to them. Surgery is fun!

It's so much easier once you're in there. Like, you're all going to freak out, prepare well, and then you're going to get there and it's much simpler than you expect - if you have cool surgeons around, it makes it like 120% better, too, because this is so chill to them. Surgery is fun!

Agreed. My first one was last week and I was very nervous all morning. As soon as I started scrubbing it was like a trance: in the zone, totally calm. You kind of forget about everything else except what your hands are doing.

Members don't see this ad :)
After 6 exams this week, I can finally say that we are DONE with Didactics:soexcited::banana::zip:!!!! Celebrated with my friends with mexican after our last exam today... Tomorrow my entire family is coming up and the Sunday is White coat!! Mon / Tues of next week we have orientation and then I start on oncology on Wednesday!!! I cant believe how fast time has flown!!!

After 6 exams this week, I can finally say that we are DONE with Didactics:soexcited::banana::zip:!!!! Celebrated with my friends with mexican after our last exam today... Tomorrow my entire family is coming up and the Sunday is White coat!! Mon / Tues of next week we have orientation and then I start on oncology on Wednesday!!! I cant believe how fast time has flown!!!
Yay for clinics! I can't wait to start but we don't start until May. I was looking at your signature and I think we actually might be doing Humane Alliance at the same time. My time there is right before graduation in 2017 as well.

Yay for clinics! I can't wait to start but we don't start until May. I was looking at your signature and I think we actually might be doing Humane Alliance at the same time. My time there is right before graduation in 2017 as well.

Ah that would be Awesome!! I am there March 20-31 what about you? That is my last scheduled rotation - I have the last 6 weeks before graduation off to do whatever :D

Can anyone recommend a resource or cheat sheet type deal for epidemiology? We've dealt with sensitivity, specificity, PPV, NPV, etc for two and a half years and it just doesn't stick to my brain. Worried at this point that it won't stick in time for boards.

Can anyone recommend a resource or cheat sheet type deal for epidemiology? We've dealt with sensitivity, specificity, PPV, NPV, etc for two and a half years and it just doesn't stick to my brain. Worried at this point that it won't stick in time for boards.

Yeah I'm less than 2 weeks from boards and those still won't stick.

I just remember sensitivity has an N in it, so if you get a negative, it is likely negative.

Specificity has a P in it, if you get a positive, it is likely positive.

And now I need to go double check that.

i would recommend making a cheat sheet off the power pages (I used vet prep). It was like 2-3 pages and really helped. But I had a ton of those questions.

I just remember sensitivity has an N in it, so if you get a negative, it is likely negative.

That's literally the extent of my epi knowledge also. The zuku questions about positive predictive value and that bs I just eyeball and guess...

That's literally the extent of my epi knowledge also. The zuku questions about positive predictive value and that bs I just eyeball and guess...
Haha, okay, well that's comforting to know that everyone else is in the same boat! Thanks guys :)

i would recommend making a cheat sheet off the power pages (I used vet prep). It was like 2-3 pages and really helped. But I had a ton of those questions.
Thanks! Will definitely do that when I get vetprep in January.

I'd wait until May, you get a good deal on VetPrep starting in May, I think the deal ends sometime in June/July. :)
Hmm. I looked through old emails and it looked like the school sent out the deal in January for zuku so I assumed it was the same for vetprep. It looked like the deal was a lot less than I was hoping though :(

Hmm. I looked through old emails and it looked like the school sent out the deal in January for zuku so I assumed it was the same for vetprep. It looked like the deal was a lot less than I was hoping though :(

I think there might be a deal in January for both, but it is more $$$$$ than the deal that comes out in May. There is deal for both zuku and vetprep in May too. It is just basically an extension, so if you buy the 3 months or 6 months or whatever it is, you get it until the end of December.

I think there might be a deal in January for both, but it is more $$$$$ than the deal that comes out in May. There is deal for both zuku and vetprep in May too. It is just basically an extension, so if you buy the 3 months or 6 months or whatever it is, you get it until the end of December.
Ahh, that makes sense. Thanks for letting me know -- otherwise I would have been so annoyed at myself come May! Do you remember approximately how much you paid? My dad always buys me textbooks for my birthday/Christmas but I want to ask him to help with this instead this year.

Ahh, that makes sense. Thanks for letting me know -- otherwise I would have been so annoyed at myself come May! Do you remember approximately how much you paid? My dad always buys me textbooks for my birthday/Christmas but I want to ask him to help with this instead this year.

$229, if you want the version with the power lectures, then it is $299.

That is the 90 day subscription, which they have a deal for every year that will be extended until the end of December... deal occurs in May time.. I purchased vetprep during my first clinical rotation. :)

Last edited:

That is the 90 day subscription, which they have a deal for every year that will be extended until the end of December... deal occurs in May time.. I purchased vetprep during my first clinical rotation. :)

Good to know, thanks! I'll wait until May then :)

Holy crap! That is WAY better than the deal they email us about in January. Thanks!

Holy crap! That is WAY better than the deal they email us about in January. Thanks!

Yeah the january deal would be the 180-day subscription so it is $299 or $369 to include the power lectures. And the deal is similar.. you get it in January and it is good through December.

I do think that zuku is maybe a few dollars cheaper, but overall both programs are very comparable and it doesn't matter which you choose. They both run very similar deals in January and again in May. :)

It might be different each year, but when I was a fourth year, the deal for zuku came out in January (same cost if you get it then vs anytime), and vet prep came out later at the same time zuku had another deal. I remember because that's the only real reason I went with zuku. The extra months for free were worth it for me.

Just looked, and it was $269 for a subscription from jan - dec. For me, those extra months was the difference between actually completing the program in its entirety and not.

Last edited:

Not sure why I never thought of it this way, but this totally just helped me get a Vet Prep question right. Thanks!

It might be different each year, but when I was a fourth year, the deal for zuku came out in January (same cost if you get it then vs anytime), and vet prep came out later at the same time zuku had another deal. I remember because that's the only real reason I went with zuku. The extra months for free were worth it for me.

Just looked, and it was $269 for a subscription from jan - dec. For me, those extra months was the difference between actually completing the program in its entirety and not.

At least for our year, both vetprep and zuku had a January deal, then again had a summer deal that began in May.

Zuku's summer deal starting later in May than VetPrep's. Zuku's deal also ends a bit earlier (as in December 14th this year) compared to VetPrep's December 31st. Not that anyone cares because boards are over by those dates anyway.

For future reference, do you (or anyone else) find the power lectures worth the extra money?

We got our block schedules today (start in clinics in February).

Now if I could only get one of my externships to actually confirm my dates...

We finally found out what the deal is for next semester (since our class is the first in the new curriculum, everything was up in the air). Basically, take the classes you want to take, just have a minimum of 12 credits.

Let me say that again.

Minimum of 12 credits.

What a glorious day! Granted, the classes I want to take add up to about 17 credits, but still such a paltry number compared to the 31 credits from last spring or the 27 credits I'm currently taking. :D

Can't wait for next semester, and then clinics!

Reactions: 1 users
Wanted to pop in while I had some time on this 11 hour overnight ICU shift (fun :p) to say that even though I started out on 6 weeks of equine, clinics aren't awful. Equine will never be my thing, but I already miss my patient who went home yesterday. Long days are taking some getting used to, but I have had ample time to spend with my girlfriend. Especially now that I'm on ambulatory and working these ICU shifts. But, nights like tonight there aren't many patients and none need anything intensive done. Just a little over a week until I'm out of horse world and onto small animal stuff, finally (and I'll be back home for the holidays, too!)

Finished my first off campus externship and had a great time! Now I start an ECC elective at the clinic I used to work at before heading back to COMO for a 12 day break from clinics!

@Rainheart - i'm happy to hear Equine is treating you well!

I've been MIA for a bit but I have a question. You guys were talking about Vet Prep deals being available in January, but the longest subscription is 180 days so how do you go about getting a January - December subscription?

I've been MIA for a bit but I have a question. You guys were talking about Vet Prep deals being available in January, but the longest subscription is 180 days so how do you go about getting a January - December subscription?

they typically do a deal where you buy a membership and then they extend it for the rest of the year. I am not sure the details but thats what I remember seeing last year.

You would purchase the 180 days (I think) it is the longest subscription in January and the deal is that it is extended to the end of the NAVLE testing window. I honestly wouldn't do this... I would wait until they offer the same thing in May... it is cheaper and you really won't start studying much prior to then anyway.

Our fourth year schedules are in and I'm super excited to start clinics. I've scheduled some really cool shelter rotations including a forensics externship. I can't wait to be out of the classroom!

Reactions: 3 users
Kinda said that winter break is 2 weeks shorter. I don't want to pack

Lol seriously. And my to do list is a mile long now that I am back. I am refusing to leave my bed
I've been back since Friday and haven't done a single thing. I'm so not prepared for Wednesday to get here. :bang: