Class of 2017.... how you doin?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Yeah, I am jelly you are finishing on schedule. I will rejoin dvm next year.
Yeah I wanted to stay with my class. Also since I don't have a bachelor's even if I did everything I would still have had to finish my DVM before they'd grant me the PhD.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
November 28. I wanted to take it take it later than that but there weren't any dates available near me :( Hit 43% on VetPrep today, just gotta keep on trucking!

I haven't scheduled it yet. I THINK I'm going to take it back home but I'm not sure.

I'm so behind on studying. What do we need to pass? Like 50%? I think I can pull that out of my butt...

I haven't scheduled it yet. I THINK I'm going to take it back home but I'm not sure.

I'm so behind on studying. What do we need to pass? Like 50%? I think I can pull that out of my butt...

I don't recall getting an actual %. I got some weird score with no explanation of what it meant, other than "you needed XXX to pass and you got YYY so hey congrats now you've passed boards."

Don't do that - makes the re-take so much more stressful, I assume.
giphy.gif

I think it's graded on a bell curve and so the percentage to pass changes from year to year. I just take solace in knowing I'm not in the bottom 10% of my class, so I'm probably fine.

Members don't see this ad :)
You need 840 points to pass and you have 842 points. Congratulations.

I made the numbers up but lol, I was kinda close. Just like everything else. Whatever!

November 28. I wanted to take it take it later than that but there weren't any dates available near me :( Hit 43% on VetPrep today, just gotta keep on trucking!
Hah. Haha. Hahaha.

I should probably open VetPrep... and look at my nice solid 3%...

I am scared to schedule it. It becomes real then. That and I'm still at school waiting for bloodwork.

Scheduled for Dec. 10th... It opens while i'm on Neuro, so there is no way I was going to take it then.. I might lose my mind that week with the Match deadline being the 5th, but Oh-Well!

Scheduled for Dec. 10th... It opens while i'm on Neuro, so there is no way I was going to take it then.. I might lose my mind that week with the Match deadline being the 5th, but Oh-Well!
Hah well my deadline for match (for lab animal) is a month early so I guess at least I won't have to worry about that? But yeah I'm on ECC during the first part of NAVLE so it will be a later test for me as well...

There were cows on NAVLE?

I don't remember anything but turtles and poultry.
No ivermectin for turtles was definitely on my NAVLE. But yeah, we got a breakdown of how well we did in different species my year. I think cows and chickens(?) were my lowest.

I actually have a fairly good powerpoint for swine diseases review... and I think it makes sense even when you didn't go to the lecture. If anyone wants it, toss me a PM.

There were cows on NAVLE?

I don't remember anything but turtles and poultry.

I just remember too many pet bird questions... way too many.

Then something about I sucked at a certain species in the point breakdown and that was about it.

I'm just so damn glad that test is behind me.

So apparently I should have scheduled my NAVLE the minute the email came out. Luckily there was still space left on my 2nd choice day because I really did not want to take it in the middle of Emergency Critical Care rotation...

So apparently I should have scheduled my NAVLE the minute the email came out. Luckily there was still space left on my 2nd choice day because I really did not want to take it in the middle of Emergency Critical Care rotation...

Same here, Im having to take it 2 hours away in STL because all the dates and times for the entire testing window booked up at the testing center 30 min away :mad:... But the silver lining is that me and one of my BFFs are taking it the same day and are just gonna go up the day before and stay in a hotel- NAVLE slumber party!! :highfive:

Same here, Im having to take it 2 hours away in STL because all the dates and times for the entire testing window booked up at the testing center 30 min away :mad:... But the silver lining is that me and one of my BFFs are taking it the same day and are just gonna go up the day before and stay in a hotel- NAVLE slumber party!! :highfive:
Lol there's ONLY testing centers 2+ hours away from wsu. It's lame.

So it's bad enough that all the testing days are pretty much taken, but now it's like warfare trying to get the clinicians in charge of the rotations to sign off on letting us take the day off to do NAVLE. It's a back and forth of "well can't you just take it the other block that NAVLE is on?" I get that they all think their specialty is the most important, most interesting, what have you, but look I just really need to take this stupid test and it's hard enough trying to figure out the schedule without this nonsense added on top of it.

So it's bad enough that all the testing days are pretty much taken, but now it's like warfare trying to get the clinicians in charge of the rotations to sign off on letting us take the day off to do NAVLE. It's a back and forth of "well can't you just take it the other block that NAVLE is on?" I get that they all think their specialty is the most important, most interesting, what have you, but look I just really need to take this stupid test and it's hard enough trying to figure out the schedule without this nonsense added on top of it.

Sorry that sounds like a PITA :( Hope you get things sorted soon

It is a little lame not really getting a say in our schedule, but since we are just told when our duty free day is students can at least just shrug at any irked clinicians and tell them to take it up with the office. But honestly, they just need to deal. It's not a surprise...this same thing happens every year. Same time.

Reactions: 1 users
Sorry that sounds like a PITA :( Hope you get things sorted soon

It is a little lame not really getting a say in our schedule, but since we are just told when our duty free day is students can at least just shrug at any irked clinicians and tell them to take it up with the office. But honestly, they just need to deal. It's not a surprise...this same thing happens every year. Same time.
Yeah and they aren't being huge pains about it, just enough to make my life that much more complicated. Just frustrating to deal with.

Yeah and they aren't being huge pains about it, just enough to make my life that much more complicated. Just frustrating to deal with.

That is so weird. I don't really recall people in my class having any trouble at all. It was basically "I'm taking NAVLE this day." ... "Ok."

I hope you get it figured out; that is super annoying and should be the last thing to worry about when signing up. The NAVLE isn't a new issue, so you would think they anticipate this every year and would have this worked out...

Does anyone have tips for putting together an adult resume? In talking to one of the shelter peeps I found out I should be applying for jobs now. I don't even have my resume together yet. :confused::help::shrug:
@DVMDream @that redhead @Trilt @LetItSnow @twelvetigers and everyone else
lol. Ask the person who only started working several months after graduation, why dontcha. But throw me your email and I can send you mine.

Does anyone have tips for putting together an adult resume? In talking to one of the shelter peeps I found out I should be applying for jobs now. I don't even have my resume together yet. :confused::help::shrug:
@DVMDream @that redhead @Trilt @LetItSnow @twelvetigers and everyone else

Tips:
- Be as concise as possible while still relaying the important bits: "Intubated companion species pre-operatively" or "Performed daily health assessments". My mom recruited for a huge government agency for a while and she always said your resume should be ONE page only, which I have stuck to in past job applications, including for veterinary work.
- Similarly, you do not need to include every single accomplishment from your life. A CV is different in that way where people do list a ton of different things, but a resume is more tailored. Depending on how much you have to talk about veterinary-wise, you can most likely leave out your job as an ice cream saleswoman that one summer in college or your award for Most Likely to Succeed in high school.
- Make a decent cover letter. I know these are tough and they will probably all read about the same, but try to highlight your most applicable skills and why you want to work at whatever place you're applying to.
- Have someone look over your resume/cover letter before submitting! It can be helpful with flow and to make sure it isn't too jumbled.

I'm happy to send mine along as well although looks like you already have some offers. Also happy to proof-read if you'd like :)

Tips:
- Be as concise as possible while still relaying the important bits: "Intubated companion species pre-operatively" or "Performed daily health assessments". My mom recruited for a huge government agency for a while and she always said your resume should be ONE page only, which I have stuck to in past job applications, including for veterinary work.
- Similarly, you do not need to include every single accomplishment from your life. A CV is different in that way where people do list a ton of different things, but a resume is more tailored. Depending on how much you have to talk about veterinary-wise, you can most likely leave out your job as an ice cream saleswoman that one summer in college or your award for Most Likely to Succeed in high school.
- Make a decent cover letter. I know these are tough and they will probably all read about the same, but try to highlight your most applicable skills and why you want to work at whatever place you're applying to.
- Have someone look over your resume/cover letter before submitting! It can be helpful with flow and to make sure it isn't too jumbled.

I'm happy to send mine along as well although looks like you already have some offers. Also happy to proof-read if you'd like :)

lol. Ask the person who only started working several months after graduation, why dontcha. But throw me your email and I can send you mine.

Shoot me an email and I'll send you mine. I didn't even start applying until January/February.

Thanks guys!

I'm not sure how helpful I would be. I kinda wandered into my job and I don't think my resume made a big difference there. But I would be okay to share and/or read if you want.

I had a great time at my elective at Leader Dogs and this is the first time I'm actually sad to leave. I wish I could stay another 2 weeks!! I really enjoy GP work and find it very rewarding. And this has been with a great DVM and such a wonderful group of dogs.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Another rotation down! Super surprised at how much I enjoyed my Therio rotation, it turned out to be a really good experience! Only 167 days of clinics left for me, and no more large animal stuff, EVER :D!! Now I get to relax for a couple days and get some NAVLE studying done before heading to Colorado for an Onco rotation on Sunday!

Reactions: 1 users