Class of 2017.... how you doin?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
50% on VetPrep! Gonna finally suck it up and do one of the NBVME practice exams this weekend, maybe while I'm in the air on the way to Wisconsin. I feel like this year is flying by!

Members don't see this ad.

50% on VetPrep! Gonna finally suck it up and do one of the NBVME practice exams this weekend, maybe while I'm in the air on the way to Wisconsin. I feel like this year is flying by!

50%?!? :whoa: I should be studying more each day, but it is hard to find the time!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
50%?!? :whoa: I should be studying more each day, but it is hard to find the time!
I started studying in June and have had been pretty good about doing a couple questions in my down time. I had surgery in June and would have about 10 minutes between appointments to do it or 30 minute between surgeries. In July, the surgeons at the place didn't want anything to do with me and I wasn't allowed to scrub into anything so I did A LOT of VetPrep. Now I'm on onco and have about 10 minute between appointments, but appointments are only from 8:30-3:30 each day so I pretty much always get a couple dedicated hours to study at the end of the day. I've definitely been luckier than most as far as having time to study, but that will all go away next month when I'm on medicine :(

I started studying in June and have had been pretty good about doing a couple questions in my down time. I had surgery in June and would have about 10 minutes between appointments to do it or 30 minute between surgeries. In July, the surgeons at the place didn't want anything to do with me and I wasn't allowed to scrub into anything so I did A LOT of VetPrep. Now I'm on onco and have about 10 minute between appointments, but appointments are only from 8:30-3:30 each day so I pretty much always get a couple dedicated hours to study at the end of the day. I've definitely been luckier than most as far as having time to study, but that will all go away next month when I'm on medicine :(

I seriously don't get why practices take students on if they aren't going to teach you and let you be involved! I had 2 experiences like that so far and it was super frustrating.

Another rotation down! Super surprised at how much I enjoyed my Therio rotation, it turned out to be a really good experience! Only 167 days of clinics left for me, and no more large animal stuff, EVER :D!! Now I get to relax for a couple days and get some NAVLE studying done before heading to Colorado for an Onco rotation on Sunday!
Have fun in Fort Collins!! Sounds like a blast :) The Dr. V's loved your group on therio and said you all were rock stars!!
And therio is super awesome and tons of fun. I'm really really really loving it!

Have fun in Fort Collins!! Sounds like a blast :) The Dr. V's loved your group on therio and said you all were rock stars!!
And therio is super awesome and tons of fun. I'm really really really loving it!

This makes me so happy lol. It was definitely a super awesome rotation even with Man Dr Vs snarky attitude lol I knew you were going to absolutely love it!

I am seriously blown away by the onco service at CSU. I thought Mizzou's onco service was busy, but here students don't see any rechecks or straight chemo appointments leaving only new cases for students (which means there are about 20 cases solely seen by residents / faculty and a full case load of brand new appointments for the students every day) then on top of that there are anywhere from 5-13 radiation appointments a day!! It is crazy busy but I'm having a great time!

They canceled one of my electives. My in house options during my available times are not what I want or things I've already taken. Scrambling to find an externship now for February.

Ugh

They canceled one of my electives. My in house options during my available times are not what I want or things I've already taken. Scrambling to find an externship now for February.

Ugh
Let me know if there's anywhere in the world/discipline you want to go specifically and I can see if my school has any info on it. Perks of the distributive model, I guess.

Let me know if there's anywhere in the world/discipline you want to go specifically and I can see if my school has any info on it. Perks of the distributive model, I guess.

Thank you!

I'm just frustrated because while I want to do something cool, I'm either limited to the Dallas area to stay with my parents, or I have to cough up money and deal with traveling and finding somewhere to stay, etc. Just a sudden change of plans ya know.

The one that got cancelled is an advanced surgery elective, so something similar or another surgical experience would be cool (though I'd have an open mind to other ideas for sure). The office here said they made some calls and said in the email that Purdue, Tufts, Colorado, and VMR have similar surgical electives. I'd totally consider any of those, if I could find someone to crash with. Travel I can deal with, not so sure about paying for board (or at least not a lot for a random apartment or hotel or w/e for 2 weeks).

Thank you!

I'm just frustrated because while I want to do something cool, I'm either limited to the Dallas area to stay with my parents, or I have to cough up money and deal with traveling and finding somewhere to stay, etc. Just a sudden change of plans ya know.

The one that got cancelled is an advanced surgery elective, so something similar or another surgical experience would be cool (though I'd have an open mind to other ideas for sure). The office here said they made some calls and said in the email that Purdue, Tufts, Colorado, and VMR have similar surgical electives. I'd totally consider any of those, if I could find someone to crash with. Travel I can deal with, not so sure about paying for board (or at least not a lot for a random apartment or hotel or w/e for 2 weeks).
I'm at Purdue and totally willing to put you up, if you're cool with an air mattress and a cat. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you!

Not sure if we may have something up your alley at NCSU, but if so I'm sub 10min away and just bought a house with a fabulous spare bedroom. My clinic also loves externs, but we're just a GP and see mostly garden variety surgery stuff (besides when the surgeon is in every other week or so).

I have two very snuggly kitties. ;)

Not sure if we may have something up your alley at NCSU, but if so I'm sub 10min away and just bought a house with a fabulous spare bedroom. My clinic also loves externs, but we're just a GP and see mostly garden variety surgery stuff (besides when the surgeon is in every other week or so).

:)

Housing AND cats. You people are angels. Definitely keep that in mind, thank you

One of my mentors cornered me this afternoon to see if I'm applying to internships. Still don't know how to tell him I don't want to go into surgery.

Made my account and started setting stuff up yesterday before I had to go to my rotation :D So excited!
Hah I'm on a rollercoaster of emotions between excited and super nervous. Also, anyone have any advice for the personal statement? I think they gave the most vague unhelpful prompt ever and I'm just not sure where to go with it.

Hah I'm on a rollercoaster of emotions between excited and super nervous. Also, anyone have any advice for the personal statement? I think they gave the most vague unhelpful prompt ever and I'm just not sure where to go with it.
Lol, that was the exact reaction I had to that section... My friends applying for equine internships get to tailor their personal statement to each place they apply so I have nothing to go off of :(

I'm at Purdue and totally willing to put you up, if you're cool with an air mattress and a cat. :)

:hello:

Thanks again for jumping right up to offer some help! :)

I was fortunate and got set up with an externship (and the school already approved it) at a specialty surgical hospital back home. They have a few offices in the area, with the one I'll be at located a convenient 7 minute drive from my parent's house.

Reactions: 3 users
Finally finished writing my grand rounds presentation that I will give on Friday. Now to practice it and not panic...

For VIRMP, do I send my school the transcript cover sheet...? Very confused by this.

Reactions: 1 user
I printed out the cover sheet, handed it to the registrar people in person when I requested the transcripts, explained that the form needed to go with my transcript, and they stuck it in their official envelope.

I printed out the cover sheet, handed it to the registrar people in person when I requested the transcripts, explained that the form needed to go with my transcript, and they stuck it in their official envelope.
Huh. I'm not going to be back on campus until, well, graduation. I guess I'll just email it to the registrar? I'm not even sure when to send my transcripts because none of my third or fourth year stuff is on there that I can see.

That does make it harder. Maybe call and ask? At least to explain what the email is for so they don't just delete it. It may take talking to several people but other people have to have matched before and been in a similar situation given Western's clinics model. Since I decided to do the match last minute, I requested my transcripts the Thursday before the Monday deadline...don't be like me. It was a very stressful weekend hoping they would get there on Monday.

I just want my resume/cover letter to be done and perfect and to know where I'm working/interning.
Me. Too. My CV is mostly done, it's just that whole letter of intent thing I have to do.

That does make it harder. Maybe call and ask? At least to explain what the email is for so they don't just delete it. It may take talking to several people but other people have to have matched before and been in a similar situation given Western's clinics model. Since I decided to do the match last minute, I requested my transcripts the Thursday before the Monday deadline...don't be like me. It was a very stressful weekend hoping they would get there on Monday.
Sweet. Thanks for the advice. Apparently our grades will be current... in January. So that's really helpful. Despite the frustration with that, the registrar's office has actually been exceedingly helpful so maybe I'll give them a ring tomorrow.

I wish I wasn't such a procrastinator, and for the life of me I can't figure out where the time goes. I'm only at 14% on VetPrep, still have to write my personal statement for VIRMP, and yet I keep binge watching Netflix (Life Story is fun if you like David Attenborough).

I need to get my crap together and soon!

I wish I wasn't such a procrastinator, and for the life of me I can't figure out where the time goes. I'm only at 14% on VetPrep, still have to write my personal statement for VIRMP, and yet I keep binge watching Netflix (Life Story is fun if you like David Attenborough).

Right there with you friend... Except I have just been so dang busy on rotations that all i've been doing is paperwork and preparing for cases instead of Netflix. Bleh. 2 of my fave clinicians are writing me letters and im trying to sort out who to ask for my 3rd... I planned on having 4 letters but one of the schools i'm applying to wont consider applicants with more than 3 letters :mad:.. totally put a wrench in my original plan. :grumpy:

Right there with you friend... Except I have just been so dang busy on rotations that all i've been doing is paperwork and preparing for cases instead of Netflix. Bleh. 2 of my fave clinicians are writing me letters annd im trying to sort out who to ask for my 3rd... I planned on having 4 letters but one of the schools i'm applying to wont consider applicants with more than 3 letters :mad:.. totally put a wrench in my original plan. :grumpy:
That was my excuse before this nice run of rotations... now I have no good excuse...

BTW it is ridiculous to not accept applicants with 4 letters. I mean, if you only want to read 3 then fine, but really? Weird move.

Right there with you friend... Except I have just been so dang busy on rotations that all i've been doing is paperwork and preparing for cases instead of Netflix. Bleh. 2 of my fave clinicians are writing me letters and im trying to sort out who to ask for my 3rd... I planned on having 4 letters but one of the schools i'm applying to wont consider applicants with more than 3 letters :mad:.. totally put a wrench in my original plan. :grumpy:
I've asked for three letters at the moment and was considering four but one of my letter writers told me that if a place asks for 3-4, they generally only read three and toss whichever one is the fourth. I didn't want to gamble on a really really good letter getting tossed, as my fourth would be good but not as great as the first three I've asked for.

Now I need to finish editing my CV and actually write my letter of intent... My rotation has kept me pretty busy, but at least it's been fun!

I was going to be 'super productive' during this week off clinics, yet I'm coming at you snuggled up in bed with the dog still. It's hard

I'm up to 64% but I don't feel like I'm learning much anymore...just getting questions right because I recognize them from the practice questions or I missed them before.

I'm up to 64% but I don't feel like I'm learning much anymore...just getting questions right because I recognize them from the practice questions or I missed them before.
Yeah I hear ya. At this point I'm spending more time reading notes and power pages and looking up aspects of questions than just trying to keep on answering them.

Yeah, I largely stopped doing questions and have been looking more into stuff I'm weak in. Cows and pigs, I'm looking at you. Going to take another NBVME practice exam on the plane on Saturday.

Whoop, whoop, another rotation done and I'm on a flight tomorrow afternoon! I can't believe I only have three rotations left until I have to act like a somewhat grown up doctor O.O

So how did I start my "I'm going to be super productive" weekend? Took a "nap" at 7:30 pm, turned off my alarm at 8:30 pm, woke up at 11pm, and stayed up until 2:30 am watching Zootopia. Yep, I'm off to a great start...

Reactions: 4 users
Yeah, I largely stopped doing questions and have been looking more into stuff I'm weak in. Cows and pigs, I'm looking at you. Going to take another NBVME practice exam on the plane on Saturday.

I'm alright with the pig diseases, but still feel I should do better than I do considering my PhD work is with African Swine Fever :laugh:

I just want NAVLE to be done so I can focus on the other crap I need to do

Congrats STB!! That's awesome news!

I know it's more common for people to seek feedback on letters of intent (and I will be, just haven't finished it...) but would anyone be willing to look over my CV and let me know what they think?

Hey guys, I definitely recommend taking one of the NBVME practice exams. My experience, and that of others, was that the score on the practice exam reflected my actual exam score. I took it 2 weeks before my test date.

Reactions: 1 users