Class of 2017!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
The videos as well?

Yeah, honestly I haven't even looked at the book. I'm very audio/visual so the videos are all I really do. There is a torrent if you were inclined to use that on, TPB.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, honestly I haven't even looked at the book. I'm very audio/visual so the videos are all I really do. There is a torrent if you were inclined to use that on, TPB.
Oh awesome. Thanks! I'll have to check that out ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
"It's not easy being drunk all the time. Everyone would do it, if it were easy."
My favorite quote from Game of Thrones

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Apparently I have nerve damage. I always knew I couldn't feel light touch on my right hip. Well, after learning about the nerves and dorsal root ganglion... I decided to test temperature by placing an ice cube on my hip and I didn't even feel it. I then grabbed a needle and poked myself (since I shouldn't have feeling for pain if I don't have temp feeling) and found that I didn't feel anything. Weird.

That means I must have ruined either the dorsal rootlets, the dorsal root, or dorsal root ganglion sometime in my life. Oh well. It's not like I can fix that.

Apparently I have nerve damage. I always knew I couldn't feel light touch on my right hip. Well, after learning about the nerves and dorsal root ganglion... I decided to test temperature by placing an ice cube on my hip and I didn't even feel it. I then grabbed a needle and poked myself (since I shouldn't have feeling for pain if I don't have temp feeling) and found that I didn't feel anything. Weird.

That means I must have ruined either the dorsal rootlets, the dorsal root, or dorsal root ganglion sometime in my life. Oh well. It's not like I can fix that.

You may not be able to fix it, but it is of the utmost importance that you can locate the lesion. ;)

Someone in my class bought sketchy micro. It's awesome! 10/10 would buy.

Reactions: 1 user
Someone in my class bought sketchy micro. It's awesome! 10/10 would buy.
Just looked it up. Looks interesting since I am more of a visual learner. I might have to check it out next summer during board prep.

Just looked it up. Looks interesting since I am more of a visual learner. I might have to check it out next summer during board prep.
It's pretty awesome. The videos are about 9 minutes each and the drawings are done right in front of you (sped up of course). But the mnemonics are super helpful. Plus, and we may or may not be doing this, but having someone buy it and share the login info keeps the price very low. I may buy it myself just to support the site. It's that helpful.

It's pretty awesome. The videos are about 9 minutes each and the drawings are done right in front of you (sped up of course). But the mnemonics are super helpful. Plus, and we may or may not be doing this, but having someone buy it and share the login info keeps the price very low. I may buy it myself just to support the site. It's that helpful.
And now they shut down the sharing, despite it not saying that was not allowed in their TOS. Oh well. I bought my own because it was helpful.

Dude this is awesome. Thank you.
I remember so much just from watching the videos once. I wish I would have discovered it way sooner!

For others: if you don't know what sketchy micro is, it is some medical students that sketched random scenes about microbes, but you would only know it was about microbes if you watched it. I think there are some free demos on their site sketchymicrobe.com.

Check it out if you are currently in micro or will take it soon. It's super nice. I would describe it more, but it's something you have to watch to understand.

I remember so much just from watching the videos once. I wish I would have discovered it way sooner!

For others: if you don't know what sketchy micro is, it is some medical students that sketched random scenes about microbes, but you would only know it was about microbes if you watched it. I think there are some free demos on their site sketchymicrobe.com.

Check it out if you are currently in micro or will take it soon. It's super nice. I would describe it more, but it's something you have to watch to understand.

It's making think much more seriously about picking up picmonic next year. I didn't expect to like the whole funny drawing thing since I'm usually just a straight up brute force memorizer, but having just watched the first chapter once I can already tell I'm remembering a lot more. It's so much easier to think of the picture to remember what's going on that to try to just recall random facts.

Reactions: 1 user
It's making think much more seriously about picking up picmonic next year. I didn't expect to like the whole funny drawing thing since I'm usually just a straight up brute force memorizer, but having just watched the first chapter once I can already tell I'm remembering a lot more. It's so much easier to think of the picture to remember what's going on that to try to just recall random facts.
I will have to get picmonic for next year seeing how this has helped me. I must be a visual learner but never realized it.

Man I don't know if I've changed or if it's pre-allo, but coming in here just aggravates me these days.

Front Squat PR of 225 today. I think I still have some newb gains left in the tank for this exercise too, we'll see where I end up.

Oly shoes have completely revolutionized my leg days.

Front Squat PR of 225 today. I think I still have some newb gains left in the tank for this exercise too, we'll see where I end up.

You're a monster.

Professor totally called me out via email today. I sent him an email regarding clarification of bacterial exotoxins. He answered my questions, then said something along the lines of "these details are beyond the scope of our class. Get a life. Go outside. Enjoy the weather."

These were legit questions.. I mean, stuff that's in FA and isn't dumb minutiae.

Sick. I just started lifting (first time ever) recently. 135 squat, 115 bench, 185 DL. 155 body weight, lol.

Professor totally called me out via email today. I sent him an email regarding clarification of bacterial exotoxins. He answered my questions, then said something along the lines of "these details are beyond the scope of our class. Get a life. Go outside. Enjoy the weather."

These were legit questions.. I mean, stuff that's in FA and isn't dumb minutiae.

Sick. I just started lifting (first time ever) recently. 135 squat, 115 bench, 185 DL. 155 body weight, lol.

That's about where I started - Bench was actually probably lower (105?) - hit a double of 205 last week so just keep at it! I think I'd be further along if I didn't change up my training a few months ago to account for cutting weight/conditioning for Tough Mudder.

I wish I had time for going to the gym regularly. Not to say it would be impossible, but I do have a family and a new baby and all.
I guess I COULD not watch the X-Files almost every night. Lol

That's about where I started - Bench was actually probably lower (105?) - hit a double of 205 last week so just keep at it! I think I'd be further along if I didn't change up my training a few months ago to account for cutting weight/conditioning for Tough Mudder.

Nice. I started last month at 85 squat, 65 bench, 95 DL. I'm doing Strong Lifts 5x5, but decided to deviate from the usual progression because the weight was way too low.

I wish I had time for going to the gym regularly. Not to say it would be impossible, but I do have a family and a new baby and all.
I guess I COULD not watch the X-Files almost every night. Lol

Having a family sounds very time consuming.. I don't have any responsibilities besides school and girlfriend.

Nice. I started last month at 85 squat, 65 bench, 95 DL. I'm doing Strong Lifts 5x5, but decided to deviate from the usual progression because the weight was way too low.

Having a family sounds very time consuming.. I don't have any responsibilities besides school and girlfriend.

Yea you guys are gonna be kicking me ass. I took a few weeks off and came back way weaker. :( 215/200/280? Iunno. My squats are a nightmare. :laugh:

At this point I'm just going to take it down to 5/3/1 twice a week and try to get better at running.

Yea you guys are gonna be kicking me ass. I took a few weeks off and came back way weaker. :( 215/200/280? Iunno. My squats are a nightmare. :laugh:

At this point I'm just going to take it down to 5/3/1 twice a week and try to get better at running.
I'm hoping to hit a 1000-lb total by the end of the year (maybe by the end of the summer?). Currently sitting at 905 and my linear gains have ended, so I think it's time I start a legit program - probably going to do 5/3/1 BBB. I'm seriously considering competing in the near future as well, since the UG has a powerlifting club.

Second page :nono:

Also, med school actually feels like med school! I've mostly hated classes this year up until now. Micro and neuro are great.

I want to squat 285 by 2015.. Not sure if that's even possible. I know a dude that can squat ~435 (1RM) and only (lol.. "only") benches 225.

Why does decaffeinated coffee exist?
Waste of money. I used to buy those variety k-cup packs from Amazon, but getting 5-10% decaf made me stop that really quick.

The taste of coffee is great?

Last year, I had a migraine and the doc put me on a caffeine drip. For about an hour I received IV caffeine. I was basically seeing sounds at that point. Haha. But for real... I wish I could have that the week before exams.

Last year, I had a migraine and the doc put me on a caffeine drip. For about an hour I received IV caffeine. I was basically seeing sounds at that point. Haha. But for real... I wish I could have that the week before exams.
I'm surprised he didn't give you a triptan instead. TIL caffeine can be indicated with analgesics in acute migraines..

Professors assigning mandatory lectures:

5OTt2d7.gif

Medical school is tough. Micro and neuro are really kicking my butt and we are only half way through it.