Class of 2017!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Two neuro test left for us. I can't believe we are almost done with first year. I remember talking about submitting AMCAS with you guys.

Posted using SDN Mobile
Our Second Years Finished in Feb, and it drove home the point that we would be in their shoes soon :(

Members don't see this ad :)
What have they been doing since then?

Technically they are in third year from that point on.
But we can choose different schedules. Some choose to do Step 1 studying first. Others do research. Some do an early rotation.

I prefer sketchy micro... Too bad they only do bacteria :-(

Nice I'll have to check that out.....I have no idea how I am just now finding out about these websites. The few picmonic video's I've watched have been really cool. The one on ARBs is hilarious and it'll be pretty hard to forget they are the "sartans"

I don't mind pharm that much, but out of all the classes I feel like it is the one where I puke info out for the test and forget. I'm hoping that picmonic helps w/ pharm, has anyone had any luck w/ pharm and picmonic?

Nice I'll have to check that out.....I have no idea how I am just now finding out about these websites. The few picmonic video's I've watched have been really cool. The one on ARBs is hilarious and it'll be pretty hard to forget they are the "sartans"

I don't mind pharm that much, but out of all the classes I feel like it is the one where I puke info out for the test and forget. I'm hoping that picmonic helps w/ pharm, has anyone had any luck w/ pharm and picmonic?

Sketchy micro is just like Picmonic except they draw the scene as they explain the microbe. It's more like a story and for me is way better for retention.

Sketchy micro is just like Picmonic except they draw the scene as they explain the microbe. It's more like a story and for me is way better for retention.

+1 for preferring Sketchy Micro. Watching them draw the scene helps me remember much better than when I just look at Picmonic pictures. That being said, Picmonic has still been pretty helpful for viruses and is definitely nicer than just trying to force things into my memory.

This year needs to end.. or I just to be done studying for today.

Either way I'm doing deadlifts tonight and Tough Mudder is next Saturday. I guess life isn't so bad.

I just had a pretty incredible conversation with the Research Coordinator at one of the main hospitals associated with the med school I attend. I had to share. Minus the small talk and extraneous detail, here is how the conversation went:

Me: "Hi, I'm a rising second year medical student and would like to get involved in some clinical research."
Her: "I'm sorry, you have to be a resident to be involved in clinical research."
Me: "Really? I know a lot of third year med students currently involved in clinical research in this department."
Her: "That's because third year medical students are residents."
Me: (trying to be polite) "I'm pretty sure residents have already finished medical school and are officially doctors."
Her: "No, you take a licensing test at the end of your second year of medical school and after that you are a licensed doctor and a resident."
Me: "....ok thank you."

I **** you not.

Reactions: 1 users
This year needs to end.. or I just to be done studying for today.

Either way I'm doing deadlifts tonight and Tough Mudder is next Saturday. I guess life isn't so bad.
Cool! The "Portland" tough mudder is going to be in the same town as my school this august. Can't really pass it up when it's this close.
I will say that it's going to be pretty tough for me. No pun intended.

Phew. Micro is finally behind me. Probably could have studied more and done a little a better but IDGAF at this point. A few more low key weeks and summer is here. Finally.

Phew. Micro is finally behind me. Probably could have studied more and done a little a better but IDGAF at this point. A few more low key weeks and summer is here. Finally.
Jealous. I am still failing micro. I just don't think I am good at this memorizing little details stuff.

Members don't see this ad :)
Psych has been interesting. Too bad so much of it is so subjective.

Jealous. I am still failing micro. I just don't think I am good at this memorizing little details stuff.
Yea SketchyMicro and Picmonic saw me through alright. I'd also recommend Lippincott's Microcards if you haven't seen those yet, really nice little vignettes and pictures with good explanations for all the bugs/viruses/parasites.

Happy Mother's Day all y'all. I pity the fool that don't treat his mother right.

Yea SketchyMicro and Picmonic saw me through alright. I'd also recommend Lippincott's Microcards if you haven't seen those yet, really nice little vignettes and pictures with good explanations for all the bugs/viruses/parasites.
I actually just bought the flash cards on Friday. By going over them multiple times, I somehow got an 83% on the previous year test. I think I might actually pass this test with flying colors compared to the previous bombs. I feel pretty confident with viruses.

Reactions: 1 user
Yep, I used the flash cards as well and really liked them. However, they aren't really useful as flash cards, so they should have just put the material on the flash cards in a book or something.

I actually just bought the flash cards on Friday. By going over them multiple times, I somehow got an 83% on the previous year test. I think I might actually pass this test with flying colors compared to the previous bombs. I feel pretty confident with viruses.
If I didn't get above a 95% on the test, I will be disappointed in myself. It was essentially the same test as last year, which we had access to.

Edit: and that is exactly what I got. I am actually pretty disappointed about the exam and doing a practice test that was so similar to the real thing. I didn't get to demonstrate my knowledge and see how much I actually knew. It's weird to get a score so high and feel like complete crap after it.

Last edited:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/05/11/elizabeth-raine_n_5290291.html

Have you guys heard about this crap? It's a medical student at my school. I don't know how much longer she will be one, but reporters have been trying to get us to comment for the last few days.

Oh, and does anyone want to be a mod? http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/call-for-moderator-nominations.1071251/
I saw this a while back...somehow, and was shocked by it.
Guess I shouldn't be too surprised. Crazy that she's at your school though, ever interacted with her?

Reporters are asking you to comment?
Yeah, over the weekend and on Monday (I think). There were just a couple outside A300. They were asking people what they thought. I ignored them because I don't want my name associated with this.

But it seems like nobody cares about it anymore. So hopefully this is over.

Yeah, over the weekend and on Monday (I think). There were just a couple outside A300. They were asking people what they thought. I ignored them because I don't want my name associated with this.

But it seems like nobody cares about it anymore. So hopefully this is over.

Wow, intense!

EKVAISv.jpg

In other news...The thing about shopping for a digital camera on the internet is that you start thinking you could do with a $250 camera and come away feeling like you can only take good pictures with something that costs $800.

In other news...The thing about shopping for a digital camera on the internet is that you start thinking you could do with a $250 camera and come away feeling like you can only take good pictures with something that costs $800.
Bought a Canon T3 for $300 and never looked back. Love it.

But this though, and this. I'm looking for something I will actually take backpacking & also keep in my purse, and I am kind of blown away at how many SLR quality compact cameras there are now.

But this though, and this. I'm looking for something I will actually take backpacking & also keep in my purse, and I am kind of blown away at how many SLR quality compact cameras there are now.
In that case, I'd recommend this: http://www.amazon.com/Olympus-Inter...d=1400349642&sr=8-1&keywords=Olympus+PEN+E-P3

It's a happy medium between a compact camera and an SLR. It gives you room to grow in the event that you'd like to be a little more savvy with your picture taking.

Home stretch! I just found out that "Clara cell" is the old terminology. Apparently they are called "Club cell"s now.

Woah I'm surprised this thread is still going on. Strong work people.

Edit: you can 'like' posts on SDN? :oops:

Last edited:
Just out of curiosity, what happens if you oversleep and miss an exam? This almost happened to me yesterday--terrifying.

And I can't believe first year is over. Way too fast.

Hey. So there's a good amount of interest in getting a post-MS1 fireside chat together. Putting a plug here in case anybody here is interested but not in the FB group!