Class of 2017!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Yeah, it can be jarring at first because none of us are used to seeing numbers that low. Just keep in mind that UWorld is supposed to be harder than the real deal. The average score on UWorld seems to be somewhere around 58-60%.
I take my first NBME two weeks before the real deal. That's when I find out just how different the two are. Until then, tons of mock blocks of UWorld questions and assessments.

Members don't see this ad.

I take my first NBME two weeks before the real deal. That's when I find out just how different the two are. Until then, tons of mock blocks of UWorld questions and assessments.
Yeah, I have only taken the UWorld practice test (form 1). I thought it was beneficial, but supposedly it over predicts by about 10 points or so. I am taking my first NBME in a week or so (about 3 weeks from my test), so I will know more about where I'm at then. Good luck man!

Every rising M3 has taken it at my school. The resounding feedback as they return and begin rotations is that the NBMEs are woefully easier than the real thing despite being the closest approximation available. Specific stats were that kids felt like they made a 75-85% on NBME, which corresponded to roughly less than 50% correct on the actual Step, while retaining the projected score.

Does that make sense? It's still a good approximation of achievement. Just don't let the real thing freak you out at Prometric. LoL

Members don't see this ad :)
YASSS, got my first 75% on a test block.

Is anyone else finding that they feel like they almost have more freetime during the STEPPOCALYPSE? I guess I have less bad extrinsic life stuff going on now than I did all of last year, but even with the 12 hour study days it's liberating to not have a final exam once every 2 weeks. I'm going on one big hike per week and spending time with friends outside of school slightly more often. Also, seeing Mad Max on Thursday. Maybe it's just that I cut off my facebook and I just have less mental static in general.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
YASSS, got my first 75% on a test block.

Is anyone else finding that they feel like almost have more freetime during the STEPPOCALYPSE? I guess I have less bad extrinsic life stuff going on now than I did all of last year, but even with the 12 hour study days it's liberating to not have a final exam once every 2 weeks. I'm going on one big hike per week and spending time with friends outside of school slightly more often. Also, seeing Mad Max on Thursday. Maybe it's just that I cut off my facebook and I just have less mental static in general.
I got a 77% yesterday on my last one. My first one today was a 52%. Talk about a roller coaster of emotions.

OOF. 52%. Note to self, don't take test blocks when you are fasting for a blood draw & waiting for the lab to open

I got a 77% yesterday on my last one. My first one today was a 52%. Talk about a roller coaster of emotions.
OOF. 52%. Note to self, don't take test blocks when you are fasting for a blood draw & waiting for the lab to open
The highest I've ever gotten was a 73%. Otherwise, most of my scores hover around the 64-70% range. One time I got like two 48% in a row... That was when I didn't eat breakfast and didn't have coffee.

Mad Max is so good!

Turns out a 79% on an NBME assessment only gets you a 217...

53758380.jpg

Turns out a 79% on an NBME assessment only gets you a 217...

53758380.jpg
What? I'm so used to UWorld where a 70% makes me feel amazing and a 50% makes me just say, "that'll do."

I wonder what the real thing scores more like.

I can't remember, do NBME self-assessments supposedly overestimate your score?

I can't remember, do NBME self-assessments supposedly overestimate your score?
All I have heard is that they are plus or minus 5 for almost everyone with most people scoring within an even tighter range than that. Sure didn't feel like I knew enough answers on the real thing to get that close to my NBMEs, but I will just have to trust in my NBMEs and hope for the best.

All I have heard is that they are plus or minus 5 for almost everyone with most people scoring within an even tighter range than that. Sure didn't feel like I knew enough answers on the real thing to get that close to my NBMEs, but I will just have to trust in my NBMEs and hope for the best.
I have heard similar things.

I was hoping to be scoring higher with the test a week away, but at least I am passing the tests every single time and staying barely above the 50th percentile. :/

This **** is hard.

Reactions: 1 users
Aquagenic urticaria is where a person is allergic to water. What?

And then you reach the point where you have to type "motivation" into youtube and listen to the first ridiculous thing that comes up...

And then you reach the point where you have to type "motivation" into youtube and listen to the first ridiculous thing that comes up...

I calculated my graduation debt because I was bored. Bad idea. Motivation is gone.

Took my last UWorld mock block and scored my highest score ever. That's a good way to end it. Now to take it easy until the test tomorrow.

Good luck!
Thanks. I am here now and waiting for them to open while also cramming in pharm/renal equations and forcing those p450 things in there so I can immediately write them down when it starts. Haha

Edit: I'm done!

Last edited:
Congrats! Did you have a margarita at the Mexican place nextdoor?
Haha. No. I went home and had three beers and a piña colada. Now I'm at gameworks and have a 25 oz beer in front of me and all you can play for $10.

Today I decided to try out just going to the OR and asking if I could observe a case. The resident and intern didn't show up, so the attending had me be first assist and open/close for her along with doing some minor things throughout. It was awesome!

Reactions: 1 users
Just took a practice NBME last week that our school offered those of us that left for research over the summer and got scores back today: Dang it feels good to be a gangsta! Hope everyone is enjoying post-step and rotation freedom as I finish M2. :/ Jelly and eager to gitRdone

Surgery is over and it feels like I woke up from a weird dream.