Class of 2017!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Members don't see this ad :)
I think I like surgery, but I don't like being a medical student on surgery. It's confusing.

I have PTSD from my time on surgery.

Ha, I am so excited for surgery, I don't even get how anyone could feel otherwise. I start in January, and I can't wait. I'm on FM right now, and I feel like I'm just twiddling my thumbs waiting and bored.

I have PTSD from my time on surgery.
I have it from Ob/Gyn. :/

Ha, I am so excited for surgery, I don't even get how anyone could feel otherwise. I start in January, and I can't wait. I'm on FM right now, and I feel like I'm just twiddling my thumbs waiting and bored.
Im on FM too. So far I have actually liked it a bunch, minus the kids. But I have not had peds yet which may explain it.

I have never wanted to quit medicine so much in my life.
tumblr_lppyksxAfd1r1thdeo1_400.gif

Whaddya mean you hate cutting people open for fun? ;)

Surgery is fine. Surgeons are miserable people. Being in the OR is a miserable experience. Being a medical student on surgery is especially miserable.

Spending my days standing in the OR all day long, learning nothing, maybe being acknowledged for 5 mins of the whole case was a waste of time.

Surgery is fine. Surgeons are miserable people. Being in the OR is a miserable experience. Being a medical student on surgery is especially miserable.

Spending my days standing in the OR all day long, learning nothing, maybe being acknowledged for 5 mins of the whole case was a waste of time.
You didn't even get an opportunity to have the attending/fellow/resident nonverbally communicate with you by angrily slapping at your instrument with their forceps? What a shame... ;)

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)

That sucks :(

You didn't even get an opportunity to have the attending/fellow/resident nonverbally communicate with you by angrily slapping at your instrument with their forceps? What a shame... ;)

Oh I had plenty of that....in addition to having a surgeon grab my hand in the middle of a case and repeatedly slap it to "loosen it up."

I particularly enjoyed the days I would hold the camera so long that my arms and hands would go numb.

"FOLLOW MY INSTRUMENT, ALL YOU HAVE TO DO IS KEEP MY INSTRUMENT IN THE CENTER OF THE SCREEN, DONT WAIT FOR ME TO TELL YOU TO MOVE."

Surgeon: * moves instrument*
Me: *moves camera so instrument is dead center*

"DID I TELL YOU TO MOVE THE CAMERA?????? DONT MOVE THAT THING UNLESS I TELL YOU.

Repeat q2 mins for 10+ hours a day and 5 weeks....

Did anyone else get to do burn surgeries? The room is kept at about 98 degrees. Those surgeries can be quick (only an hour) to super long (6 hours). You eventual just quit sweating. For the marathon one, the 4th year and I were told to go take a shower when it was over.

Did anyone else get to do burn surgeries? The room is kept at about 98 degrees. Those surgeries can be quick (only an hour) to super long (6 hours). You eventual just quit sweating. For the marathon one, the 4th year and I were told to go take a shower when it was over.
:dead:Anhidrosis is the first sign of heat stroke.
Oh I had plenty of that....in addition to having a surgeon grab my hand in the middle of a case and repeatedly slap it to "loosen it up."

I particularly enjoyed the days I would hold the camera so long that my arms and hands would go numb.

"FOLLOW MY INSTRUMENT, ALL YOU HAVE TO DO IS KEEP MY INSTRUMENT IN THE CENTER OF THE SCREEN, DONT WAIT FOR ME TO TELL YOU TO MOVE."

Surgeon: * moves instrument*
Me: *moves camera so instrument is dead center*

"DID I TELL YOU TO MOVE THE CAMERA?????? DONT MOVE THAT THING UNLESS I TELL YOU.

Repeat q2 mins for 10+ hours a day and 5 weeks....
:bang:Omg, I'm so sorry. I can't even imagine. I'm so easily irritated; I can't even imagine my level of furious exasperation enduring such a climate. :(

Two shelves next week.. why does my school do this to us..
Ouch. Which ones?

And my school has started a program where you do all your rotations at the same time, shifting specialities from the AM to PM. At the end of 3rd year you take all the shelf exams with two weeks. You have to apply to be a part of the trial group and people actually competed for the spot. Screw that!

Ouch. Which ones?

And my school has started a program where you do all your rotations at the same time, shifting specialities from the AM to PM. At the end of 3rd year you take all the shelf exams with two weeks. You have to apply to be a part of the trial group and people actually competed for the spot. Screw that!
:scared: Thanks for the nightmares.

Ouch. Which ones?

That sounds like the worst m3 experience imaginable.

Ouch. Which ones?

Ohio State. And I thought I had it bad, that program sounds ab-so-lutely god awful.

Starting back on rotations after having 2 weeks off... #thestruggleisreal

Anyone in the Los Angeles or Bay Area? [. . .]

EDIT: I found the answer to my own question by perusing the UC library websites. I'm down to hang in either area depending on which one I ultimately choose (probably back home in L.A.).

Last edited:
Anyone in the Los Angeles or Bay Area? [. . .]

EDIT: I found the answer to my own question by perusing the UC library websites. I'm down to hang in either area depending on which one I ultimately choose (probably back home in L.A.).
I'm always in the Bay*

*in spirit

Hello. This shouldn't be me. I'm in dedicated land.
Step 1 studying? Gross.

Meanwhile, I should start worrying about this medicine shelf exam in three weeks.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

I get to ride in ambulances and fire trucks for the day. FYI, I'm on outpt internal medicine.

8 weeks of peds separating me from freedom. So close...just have to grind...

What specialty(ies) are folks leaning towards at thing point in the game?

Have been surprisingly in love with EM.

What specialty(ies) are folks leaning towards at thing point in the game?

Have been surprisingly in love with EM.
Internal medicine is my home. I love building a differential and figuring out what is going on. The ICU is pretty interesting too.

Ditto on IM. Currently in love with the idea of Pulm/Critical Care

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
It's seriously such an interesting specialty. I am curious what the work/life balance is. I have a subI in it schedule for September.