Class of 2018...how you doin? ;)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I always wondered about getting groceries home on a bus, I'm guessing large shopping trips are out of the question.

If you needed to make a big trip, you could ask a friend to give you a lift. So long as you didn't abuse their courtesy, it would help if you had to get big things like laundry detergent or milk or whatnot.

Members don't see this ad.

I don't know how things are in Fort Collins but there are quite a few grocery stores that do delivery in Philly. Could be something to look into. I did it a lot when I lived in the UK because the bigger grocery stores were just outside the city. Haven't done it in Philly because my bf has a car but i know people who do and have had no problems.
I've actually been worried about that! I tried to google places to buy groceries near where I live but there aren't too many super close. I'm debating bringing a car but I'm not sold on the idea yet haha. Where do you get groceries in Philly?

I've actually been worried about that! I tried to google places to buy groceries near where I live but there aren't too many super close. I'm debating bringing a car but I'm not sold on the idea yet haha. Where do you get groceries in Philly?

I live in the West Philly area, so it might be different based on where you are. There's Fresh Grocer on like 40th and Walnut which quite a few people go to. I don't like it because it's 5 blocks from me, and it I HATE the way the store is organized. It just doesn't make sense. Pretty sure they'll deliver. I think there is also a store out on 50th and Market or something that is supposedly cheaper than the one on 40th.

If I need something quickly, I'll go to Shop N' Bag which is like a block away from me. It's not my favorite of stores (I've found several things to be expired) but I'm pretty sure they deliver if it's over $50.

The bf and I typically drive out to Path Mark which is in the Grey's Ferry area (like 10 minute drive max) and across the street from PAWS. They have a frequent shopper's card so you get discounts and I feel it's a relatively normal grocery store. I've also gone to Shop Rite on Oregan Ave but that place is alway chaotic and a bit of a further drive. For most of my veggies/fruits, I also just go to this fruit/veggie truck at the end of my street. It's usually pretty cheap. There are also farmer's marker type things in Clark Park where other people get their veggies from. Supposedly you can actually also buy a share in the farmer's farm, and they'll give you a box of produce like every week or once a month of something like that. I haven't done it since Clark Park is further away from me this year, but it's also something to consider if you're on that side.

For deliver, people have used Peapod and Fresh Direct. Many people recommend Fresh Direct, but I kind of like going and picking out my food on my own if I can. I also know people who drive to Trader Joes and Whole Foods, but those places are kind of out of my price range.

Members don't see this ad :)
fun fact for everyone: the Trader Joes people are really good at helping you find the best bottle of cheap wine that you want for a certain price range

Reactions: 1 users
I live in the West Philly area, so it might be different based on where you are. There's Fresh Grocer on like 40th and Walnut which quite a few people go to. I don't like it because it's 5 blocks from me, and it I HATE the way the store is organized. It just doesn't make sense. Pretty sure they'll deliver. I think there is also a store out on 50th and Market or something that is supposedly cheaper than the one on 40th.

If I need something quickly, I'll go to Shop N' Bag which is like a block away from me. It's not my favorite of stores (I've found several things to be expired) but I'm pretty sure they deliver if it's over $50.

The bf and I typically drive out to Path Mark which is in the Grey's Ferry area (like 10 minute drive max) and across the street from PAWS. They have a frequent shopper's card so you get discounts and I feel it's a relatively normal grocery store. I've also gone to Shop Rite on Oregan Ave but that place is alway chaotic and a bit of a further drive. For most of my veggies/fruits, I also just go to this fruit/veggie truck at the end of my street. It's usually pretty cheap. There are also farmer's marker type things in Clark Park where other people get their veggies from. Supposedly you can actually also buy a share in the farmer's farm, and they'll give you a box of produce like every week or once a month of something like that. I haven't done it since Clark Park is further away from me this year, but it's also something to consider if you're on that side.

For deliver, people have used Peapod and Fresh Direct. Many people recommend Fresh Direct, but I kind of like going and picking out my food on my own if I can. I also know people who drive to Trader Joes and Whole Foods, but those places are kind of out of my price range.
Thank you so much! It sounds like we live more or less in the same area (I'm on 46th); I'm super pumped that there are fruit/veggie trucks!

fun fact for everyone: the Trader Joes people are really good at helping you find the best bottle of cheap wine that you want for a certain price range
My friends and I live off of "2 buck chuck" from Trader Joes.

Just checked my unofficial transcript to see if my spring grades had been posted yet and in the upper right-hand corner next to "Current Program" it has "Doctor of Veterinary Medicine" listed. My heart did a little happy flip. :X3:

Reactions: 11 users
@VacaMeansCow – If I finally decide to bring my car, I’ll definitely pm you and take you up on your offer especially in the winter when it snows haha…

Edit: Actually, I might need you around all the time - I'm god-awful at parking.

Thanks to my heightened sense of spatial reasoning, I can park any object between any two other objects. True story: in college, my best friend (with car) was quite the Menace To Society when she was behind the wheel. End of story: I played chauffeur for three straight years.

I know it's still early, but those that know their vet school email address already, you should sign up for VIN!

I forgot about it until today, and now I'm spending the evening combing through the message boards. It's like finding SDN all over again :p

Reactions: 3 users
I know it's still early, but those that know their vet school email address already, you should sign up for VIN!

I forgot about it until today, and now I'm spending the evening combing through the message boards. It's like finding SDN all over again :p
Oh yeah! Someone just told me that vet students can be on VIN (I thought it was only DVMs who could join) and I'm excited to get my email address and be able to sign up. :)

On a related note, I still can't believe vet school starts in only 4 months.:eek:

Yay I almost forgot! Thanks for the reminder. I got my email set up the other day and I feel so official now haha. :)

Yay I almost forgot! Thanks for the reminder. I got my email set up the other day and I feel so official now haha. :)
I did as well. Though I don't know about feeling "official" yet. I'm pretty sure I'm still in denial about the whole "getting accepted to vet school" thing. I've been working to this just about my entire life... yet it just doesn't seem real. Maybe when we are sitting in the same room for 8 hours and getting information pumped through our ears I will actually accept this is happening. Maybe.

I did as well. Though I don't know about feeling "official" yet. I'm pretty sure I'm still in denial about the whole "getting accepted to vet school" thing. I've been working to this just about my entire life... yet it just doesn't seem real. Maybe when we are sitting in the same room for 8 hours and getting information pumped through our ears I will actually accept this is happening. Maybe.

Meh, there are still days when I am like wow, I made it to vet school... Like our finals week last week when we FINALLY completed anatomy for good, there was a moment of shear WTFness because a lot of us couldnt believe we had made it this far already. And to think ahead a year from now we will be a block away from clinics... Its insane.

Members don't see this ad :)
I just found out I qualified for $7500 from HPSL! Even though it is not a huge amount, it makes me sooooo happy!!!!!

Reactions: 2 users

Thanks for the tip! I had no idea!

Just received a packet from A&M with how to set up our e-mail accounts and a list of things to buy! In the process of setting up my VIN account--yay!

This is all too real.

Reactions: 4 users
Signed up for VIN!! I also signed up for the adopt-a-vet program, sounds like VIN will get you matched with vet that has your same interests....has anyone else done this before?

On a related note, I still can't believe vet school starts in only 4 months.:eek:

But, but.. summer just started....

Jack_sad.gif

Reactions: 1 user
how do you sign up for VIN? I'm so confused what is that?

I have one but I just don't know where you go to sign up for this

I have one but I just don't know where you go to sign up for this

www.vin.com

There should be a place to (edit) join VIN, then you can create a new account as a Student--Veterinarian. It takes a bit for your account to be approved and processed (about 12 hours for me).

Yeah...after this semester I need like a year.

Yeah, at least.

I just realized. We covered all of dog and cat medicine this semester. This means that I will no longer learn anymore about dog and cat stuff until clinics final year. I don't feel prepared to go into clinics, even if I were just working with dogs and cats....

I also signed up for the adopt-a-vet program, sounds like VIN will get you matched with vet that has your same interests.

Whazzit? Is this on VIN somewhere or did you hear about it through your school? Sounds like a neat program!

Whazzit? Is this on VIN somewhere or did you hear about it through your school? Sounds like a neat program!

Yes! If you go to the Vindex on the right hand side you will see adopt-a-vet and you fill out your preferences and add some comments. I was just messing around on there and found it. I will let you guys know if anything comes of it!

For Iowa State University c/o 2018:

Hi all!!! First of all, congrats to those of you who'll be starting at ISU CVM in the fall!
My husband just graduated and it's been an amazing, crazy, exciting 4 years!
We used the SDN forums to watch the wait list the year he got in and I thought this might be a good place to post about our trailer for sale. We had a buyer who put down a deposit but now that it's time to pay off the balance he's stopped taking my calls and has cut off almost all communication. So, unfortunately, it looks like out trailer is available again since at our last conversation he agreed to pay for it by the end of business yesterday and has failed to do so. (Don't worry, it's not someone in your class!) if anyone would like more info, just let me know. We were/are supposed to leave on Tuesday so we are open to any reasonable offer. The basic info is below:

6 MINUTE WALK TO VET SCHOOL!
1972 12x65 trailer, was a 3bedroom but has been converted to 1bedroom with a large central room giving it an open-concept ranch feel. 1 bathroom, new washer & dryer in 2012, new bathroom floor in 2012, new windows in over 1/2 the trailer (4 left to do and I can give you the info to order matching ones-they're very easy to install) new front door in 2011, new heat tape in 2010, all major appliances and several furniture pieces included. Good condition for its age, we've been living here since 2010 with no major problems. Lot rent $266/mo, utilities average $85 to 110/mo. Pets allowed! (Park charges $10 fee per dog, per month.)

PICTURES AVAILABLE

Email for more info: [email protected]

Getting exciiittteeeddd! Does anyone have any cross country road trip suggestions? We will be traveling from CA to NY... when plugging the route in to google maps, the route is almost straight.. I was thinking about curving the trip to hit Yellowstone.. but other than that.. I really don't know.. My husband and I are both CA born and raised.. not much traveling in the U.S. beside around CA and Hawaii so we would like some suggestions of must-sees while we make the long trek!

Getting exciiittteeeddd! Does anyone have any cross country road trip suggestions? We will be traveling from CA to NY... when plugging the route in to google maps, the route is almost straight.. I was thinking about curving the trip to hit Yellowstone.. but other than that.. I really don't know.. My husband and I are both CA born and raised.. not much traveling in the U.S. beside around CA and Hawaii so we would like some suggestions of must-sees while we make the long trek!

The Vermont / New Hampshire area is beautiful in both warmer months and the fall if you don't mind curving North for a bit - can write more in detail if you PM me. Would also consider Cape Cod - obviously CA is on the coast as well but Provincetown etc are just so adorable, plus the whale watching is fun.

Come to Chicago and eat Portillo's and deep dish pizza! :nod: :laugh:

Well, I'm almost done with undergrad. I just have to survive finals next week :) I'm a little worried about physics... Physics is not my strongest subject.

Well, I'm almost done with undergrad. I just have to survive finals next week :) I'm a little worried about physics... Physics is not my strongest subject.

I'm pretty sure the devil created physics! :p

Hey everyone! Just got accepted! (in western Canada they don't send out admission offers until June).

Just started properly shopping for a steth.. this is making me the most excited I've been thus far. :D

I am also super pumped about buying a stethoscope! I've been waiting and hoping all year to actually get to go shopping for one! I've decided on Littmann but can't pick between pink or 'caribbean blue'.

Reactions: 3 users
I am also super pumped about buying a stethoscope! I've been waiting and hoping all year to actually get to go shopping for one! I've decided on Littmann but can't pick between pink or 'caribbean blue'.

I just ordered mine a few days ago, it apparently arrived at my parents house today and they're bringing it to me at the beginning of July (cannot wait, so impatient!). I ended up going with black and a rainbow head littman cardio III :D Bought it off medisave for a decent price, they had a 5% discount from liking their fb page.

I know I'm super late in response to this, but ...

... I was a really devout take-notes-by-hands person in undergrad. I decided to switch to my laptop when I started vet school. I wanted all my notes with me as time went on.

So far, I have not regretted that decision one bit. It took me a few months to really get comfortable with it, but once you find a few tricks (like PDF Scissors, and the 'set all as background' command in OneNote) it's really super nice. I love that I can quickly search my notes not just for things I wrote, but for things that were in the instructors' pdfs/slides/powerpoints/whatever.

I use OneNote, but any of the common software packages would work... and I've kinda wondered if Evernote Premium would work for this. OneNote is structured with Notebooks as your top level in the hierarchy, with Sections under that and Pages within Sections (Notebooks -> Sections -> Pages). So what I did is create one Notebook for each semester (Y1S1, Y1S2, Y2S1 ... Y4). Then I create a Section for each class in that semester. Then within that class I create a Page for the Syllabus, one Page for each lecture, and whatever other miscellanous Page(s) make sense.

You can arrange Pages in their own hierarchy up to 3 deep, so I often did something like:
Syllabus
Exam 1
Lecture 1
Lecture 2​
Exam 2
Lecture 3
Lecture 4​
Exam 3
Lecture 5
Lecture 6​

.... etc. Just made it easier to organize since you can collapse the sub-pages, so I'd only expand whatever section we were working through, i.e.:

Exam 1 (collapsed)
Exam 2 (collapsed)
Exam 3
Lecture 5
Lecture 6​

Yes, I'm an organizational freak. But there are classes with 50-60-70 lectures or so ... it made it nice to keep it easy to navigate and crystal clear what I had to study for any given exam.

Just wondering if you use OneNote on a pc or mac? I've read that the mac version lacks some features of the pc version, like being able to search notebooks.

Hi guys *waves* I got my acceptance phone call this morning, so I figured I'd pop in here and meet everyone :D I can't believe this is happening, I've been wanting it for so long!! Now we need to sell the house, find somewhere to live in Calgary, get moved, get our son registered for school... SO MANY THINGS.... And there are the all-important little decisions, too, like which stethoscope to get. AAHHH I think my head is going to explode from all the excitement and stuff to do... can't believe this is really happening!!!

Woo Hoo! I am getting so excited! Can't wait to get there and meet everyone! I am getting really antsy too about supplies and books. I want to start getting things together, but still no info on that front :)

I stopped by the university last week to drop off my deposit and am kicking myself now. I wish I had stopped at the bookstore and bought a UofC hoodie to celebrate!
Woo Hoo! I am getting so excited! Can't wait to get there and meet everyone! I am getting really antsy too about supplies and books. I want to start getting things together, but still no info on that front :)

I'm also getting ants in my pants about books and supplies too, but we don't get our info packages until July apparently. I really want to go and look at scrubs and stuff, but I'm not sure if they're provided by the school, if we need a certain brand or colour, etc. I've always had really good luck buying books online, but some places (especially Amazon) have been super slow with shipping in the past so I'm really hoping we get our book list sooner rather than later.

Yeah, I ordered a textbook from Amazon a few years ago, and it didn't arrive until AFTER my midterm. Not as useful as it could have been :p

Yeah, I ordered a textbook from Amazon a few years ago, and it didn't arrive until AFTER my midterm. Not as useful as it could have been :p
I have amazon prime and so that will give you free two day shipping on most things. However it doesn't usually apply to used items. I personally like ebooks. Especially for the "find" function. I always find myself in a situation where I remember reading something with a certain phrase in the sentance and instead of flipping through pages to find it I can just type in a word or phrase and search that way

Thanks for the tip @kittyy , especially since I do the same thing with remembering a phrase or reference! The textbook that arrived late was used... our bookstore was charging $200 for it, and Amazon had it for $75ish, so I couldn't not take advantage of the savings. Didn't expect such slow delivery, though!

Not sure if any of you have looked into half.com but I get all of mine there. Shipping is usually pretty quick and I havent had an issues with the quality of booms I received. I've bought brand new biology books that are normally around the $200 price range frequently for $100 or less. I think I got Dyce and my dissection guide on there together for like $125 total.

Hey everyone! Just got accepted! (in western Canada they don't send out admission offers until June).

I have the breast-cancer edition pink, which is much brighter (and more of a true pink) than either the pearly one (super light) or the "raspberry" which is more muted and purple-y. (In case you're a pink connoisseur like myself ;)