Class of 2018...how you doin? ;)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Orientation is over, it was freaking awesome! I love my class!! I love my school! I love my professors! Let the real work begin!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
So orientation is over and I'm feeling... apprehensive. Not about classes, I'm ready for the challenge, but about the social aspect. I don't feel like I necessarily clicked with anyone in my class during orientation. (I also have an anxiety disorder and therefore have a lot of social anxiety). Is anyone else experiencing this? Does it get better as classes begin?

So orientation is over and I'm feeling... apprehensive. Not about classes, I'm ready for the challenge, but about the social aspect. I don't feel like I necessarily clicked with anyone in my class during orientation. (I also have an anxiety disorder and therefore have a lot of social anxiety). Is anyone else experiencing this? Does it get better as classes begin?
I felt the same way. I actually became really good friends with 2 of my anatomy buddies after a few weeks of class. It will get better!

Members don't see this ad :)

Does your school have PAWS?

It took me at least a semester to really make good friends, but just this Friday I was hanging out at a classmate's birthday party and being really happy about the friends I have. :)

It absolutely gets better. Everyone is being really outgoing right now, making friends like it's going out of style. But once you settle into the rhythm of schools, clubs, etc, you'll meet your real friends. Hang in there and just keep being pleasant to everyone :)

Finally getting the chance to recuperate from the craziness that was Orientation Week! Really enjoyed each day, as well as going out with classmates afterwards. Today is just for me though since we start bright and early tomorrow morning. Still can't believe this is all happening! So excited to be part of this wonderful profession...I believe the people here (classmates, faculty, staff) will make all the academic hardships worth it in the end.

Let's go, 2018!!!

Reactions: 1 users
It absolutely gets better. Everyone is being really outgoing right now, making friends like it's going out of style. But once you settle into the rhythm of schools, clubs, etc, you'll meet your real friends. Hang in there and just keep being pleasant to everyone :)

This. And keep in mind that your group of friends will change throughout the years based on who you get paired with for labs/clinics, etc.

Day one of vet school = complete!

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Moving today, after I go visit my filly. *eek*

Made it through my first day yesterday! I overheard one student complaining during one course about how irrelevant said course was (i.e. no direct clinical significance) and how this isn't what they signed up for/expected of vet school...

Uh. Wut. :smack:

Made it through my first day yesterday! I overheard one student complaining during one course about how irrelevant said course was (i.e. no direct clinical significance) and how this isn't what they signed up for/expected of vet school...

Uh. Wut. :smack:

First year someone in my class actually asked the professor, during their lecture, how it was relevant? Just...No words.

First year someone in my class actually asked the professor, during their lecture, how it was relevant? Just...No words.

Oh. Wow. Cojones of steel on that person. It just boggles my mind because the curriculum is made available at all times on the CVM website...it's not like any of these courses are a secret. This person is going to have a really bad time if she keeps up her poor attitude.

Oh. Wow. Cojones of steel on that person. It just boggles my mind because the curriculum is made available at all times on the CVM website...it's not like any of these courses are a secret. This person is going to have a really bad time if she keeps up her poor attitude.

The really frustrating part is when small animal people complain endlessly about learning LA stuff and vice versa. "I'm not going to be a horse vet, why do I need to know this?!"

The really frustrating part is when small animal people complain endlessly about learning LA stuff and vice versa. "I'm not going to be a horse vet, why do I need to know this?!"
I don't complain, but I think it a lot. Lol. And then I feel bad for thinking it, because 95% of the stuff we learn is small animal oriented.

I don't complain, but I think it a lot. Lol. And then I feel bad for thinking it, because 95% of the stuff we learn is small animal oriented.

Think it all you want. I have moments of it, especially around pig and chicken diseases. Just don't verbalize it constantly. That's what makes me want to hit people. :p

Well, I've arrived safe and sound. I think I've also figured out how to get to school, after a couple of wrong turns on my first attempt. :p So, SO excited for orientation tomorrow!!!!

Three days in! So much studying but also so much fun!!! Our class learned BLS and got to spend the morning in the lab practicing. It was quite a nice break from the lectures :)

Three weeks in and I feel reasonably ok. First exam is in just over two weeks. Lots of anatomy.

I already got to dock pig tails and give injections to newborn pigs and learned how to halter cows, put mouth gags in and how to lift cow legs to examine them, which was really fun. Next week I get to do milking and handle horses and sheep.

Friendship making has been great. I have a core group of friends I hang out with at school and hit up pubs on the weekend. They are into jogging too so I am happy yo have workout buddies too!

So far so good. I know it will get very difficult and start to suck but I like it so far!

Dammit. This is how I feel after every Introductory meeting I've been to this week.

qxi6Dka.jpg

Reactions: 8 users
Kudos to current students/DVMs/path fellows that can keep up with vet school life and SDN. I come home exhausted and always forget to check SDN :bucktooth:

Kudos to current students/DVMs/path fellows that can keep up with vet school life and SDN. I come home exhausted and always forget to check SDN :bucktooth:
Well, if you take a look at the timestamps on a lot of those posts, you might find that they often are getting posted during class...

Well, if you take a look at the timestamps on a lot of those posts, you might find that they often are getting posted during class...
Or when we should be studying :p

Reactions: 1 user

I was at a meeting for a company giving away some free stuff and saw a girl sitting a row away scrolling through SDN on her phone... I was trying to figure out who she was based on the avatar icons I could see in the threads she was checking but failed haha. She's not in my class, but it greatly amused me.

Day one of orientation and white coat ceremony done! :D I'm so excited for the journey ahead! So far I love everything and everyone, better enjoy that before life starts to suck lol......

Week one done!

So far, I've been able to keep up with most of the lectures they are throwing at us. Anatomy, however, scares the living daylights out of me. I realize I just started, but it seems like it will be impossible to learn all of the thoracic limb the in the dog and the cat in just two more weeks. I guess I will just have to take it one formalin-soaked lab at a time.

We had our first simulation lab today and got to listen to regular and irregular heart and lung sounds. It was awesome! One of the few times so far that I've actually felt like I'm in vet school now :)

Day one of orientation and white coat ceremony done! :D I'm so excited for the journey ahead! So far I love everything and everyone, better enjoy that before life starts to suck lol......

Everyone seems totally awesome!!!

Eh, I still don't really have a solid group that I hang with. Each extracurricular bit that is done outside of class though I get to know a different set of people and it is cool to learn about everyone's backgrounds and chat about both things we have in common and life experience. At the end of the day though, I am just a hermit, and I am ok with that. Don't stress! Just be you is my advice. :)

Like most of you, I also finished my first week yesterday and it's a scattered mix of emotions really. We certainly hit the ground running on the first day. Physio makes me want to cry. Anatomy is just a lot of big words that need to take up residence in my long term memory. And cell bio and histo are basically "this is a cell and these are organelles" right now. It's all very overwhelming, but still seems manageable for the time being.

Finished the first week and it was awesome! Starting the first year with clinical rotations seems a really good idea to me. My first rotation was small animal surgery -soft tissue and I was able to see and learn so much! So far I feel that these experiences will make me much more comfortable with things that I will be learning in the future. :)

White Coat Ceremony tonight! :D

First anatomy quiz tomorrow! I think I'm ready... but we'll see. We're in late the next morning to do a clinical skills thing, so everyone is already planning post quiz happy hours. :)

We have been in 2 weeks now and have had 4 quizzes so far!

Full canine skeleton memorized by Monday woot woot. Physio test tomorrow.

Just finished the mock anatomy practical for the thoracic limb. I was apprehensive since I literally just started dissecting the nerves and vessels today, but I actually know a few things!

Maybe this anatomy thing isn't so impossible after all.

Reactions: 2 users
Vet school is cray. 1 month in and we've already had 3 exams and 14 quizzes.

Vet school is cray. 1 month in and we've already had 3 exams and 14 quizzes.

Dang. Most of our classes only have midterms and finals with two quizzes in between... For physio we only have the two exams which scares the crap out of me!

To pass boards... :)

Dang. Most of our classes only have midterms and finals with two quizzes in between... For physio we only have the two exams which scares the crap out of me!

We have a quiz a week in anatomy. Not too sure how many actual tests we'll have. The only class that is killing me is histology. No idea what I'm doing in that class :(

We have a quiz a week in anatomy. Not too sure how many actual tests we'll have. The only class that is killing me is histology. No idea what I'm doing in that class :(

Yeah Histology is a little ridiculous haha. I'm most worried about lab exams in that class