Class of 2018...how you doin? ;)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So question....

Do any of y'all use a tablet instead of a laptop for class? I'm getting tired of lugging mine around and am considering options. Thanks!

A

I use the Samsung Galaxy Note and it's awesome :)

Members don't see this ad.

For the people with the Galaxy Note Pro, do you use any special app? I'm currently using Papyrus, but I'm not a huge fan.

For the people with the Galaxy Note Pro, do you use any special app? I'm currently using Papyrus, but I'm not a huge fan.
I tried papyrus, but I ended up switching to One Note. The only problem is is that I can't figure out how to load lectures when I'm on my tablet (I'm hoping there is a way and that I'm just dumb) so I have to do it on my computer the night before.

Members don't see this ad :)
I tried papyrus, but I ended up switching to One Note. The only problem is is that I can't figure out how to load lectures when I'm on my tablet (I'm hoping there is a way and that I'm just dumb) so I have to do it on my computer the night before.
Do you have the option to print then change the printer option to print to OneNote?

Reactions: 1 user
So I am sick like half of my class. Fever, runny nose, ears hurt. I feel like I need to be studying but I just can't. Clin Path and Anatomy are overwhelming me and I have another exam Monday. And I work after class tomorrow til midnight. I'm sorry to complain! Just having a moment of weakness.

So I am sick like half of my class. Fever, runny nose, ears hurt. I feel like I need to be studying but I just can't. Clin Path and Anatomy are overwhelming me and I have another exam Monday. And I work after class tomorrow til midnight. I'm sorry to complain! Just having a moment of weakness.

My sympathies. That was me first year as well. I actually didn't realize it until afterwards, but I took my first anatomy practical with around a ~103 F fever. Took me another month to actually get abx from student health...I'd honestly rest as much as you can. I was sick for an entire month and it sucked. Of course it was during midterms so I didn't let myself sleep too much because I was worried about studying. So rest, eat well and take your vitamins. And plenty of water.

We all have moments of weakness. And venting is sometimes necessary. I am right with you with the fever, nose crap, throat, ears, etc. Hard to focus and study when you feel crappy. Hope you feel better soon!

I hope you feel better soon! My class had some weird bug going around the first few weeks... Now everybody is getting Chikungunya which is the latest disease carried by mosquitoes in the Caribbean -.- I'm just patiently waiting to get it since I get like three new bug bites a day...

This insane thunderstorm we've had for the past hour is the perfect prelude to our first Nutrition quiz later today

I just realized that in a span of a week we had 5 exams and 3 quizzes... Holy. Cow.

The last exam for this round is Physiology. :scared: Ugh. I'm so not ready...

The galaxy note pro comes with s note which is awesome! Super easy organization of notes and I can easily add pages if needed.

Do you have the option to print then change the printer option to print to OneNote?
No neither my tablet nor my mac have this option...but I've seen people do it on PCs. But thanks!

While I like one note, I have no idea why they make the controls so different on every platform.

Members don't see this ad :)
Kinda random... but I've been recently contemplating cutting meat out of my diet. Growing up, I never really ate a ton of meat.. mostly fish.. but in the last month we have done several labs involving production animals.. (cows, sheep, pigs) and honestly, it has kind of creeped me out. Anyone else feeling weird about it all?

Kinda random... but I've been recently contemplating cutting meat out of my diet. Growing up, I never really ate a ton of meat.. mostly fish.. but in the last month we have done several labs involving production animals.. (cows, sheep, pigs) and honestly, it has kind of creeped me out. Anyone else feeling weird about it all?

I did this in high school for the reason that I never ate much of it anyway and was mostly vegetarian for 8 years (still ate chicken). But, realized I needed to be eating more protein in my diet so this past year just recently added back in the meats I had given up. Seeing production animals has never bothered me, personally.

In my teens I tried to go vegetarian, and I wound up severely anemic even though I had done a lot of research and was eating my legumes and trying to balance things properly. I guess it just didn't agree with my body. I've been fine since I added meat back in, and I really do love the stuff. As far as the production animal side of things, I figure that's kind of the point of a production animal vet... helping to produce the best possible quality food... and if we didn't eat it, what the heck would we be doing it for? Maybe that's a bit too pragmatic or cynical, but... *shrugs* I've worked on a beef feedlot and in a poultry hatchery, so I'm used to it I guess.

I gave up pork when I started vet school. I've been on diagnostics the last three weeks and dissecting animals makes me want to stop eating meat. It's just weird to see it that way, can't really explain why.

I still have to wrap my head around how I feel about it.. and I'm not against the idea of eating meat in general, but after seeing what are considered to be good conditions, I don't know if I feel right about it. On another note... I am SO TIRED! blah.

Reactions: 1 users
I have nothing but mad respect for the informed, production-based decisions. I really wish there was more consideration, honestly.

I eat pretty much everything still aside from a few things. Generally if I'm not willing to kill the animal and prepare it myself, I choose not to eat it.

I think it's important to realize what the pretty package in the grocery store actually is and how it got there, and it's something that I'm trying to teach my family about since they enjoy ignoring that it's even part of what was an animal at all.

Week 6 is now complete.. and I'm exhausted.

Next week starts round 2 of exams. Micro quiz Monday, Anatomy Exercises due Wednesday, Cell Bio exam Thursday, Both Anatomy exams Friday, and Physiology exam the following Monday... This is going to be a long weekend...

Week 6 is now complete.. and I'm exhausted.

Next week starts round 2 of exams. Micro quiz Monday, Anatomy Exercises due Wednesday, Cell Bio exam Thursday, Both Anatomy exams Friday, and Physiology exam the following Monday... This is going to be a long weekend...
Whoa. That's intense. We won't have more than 3 exams in a week this semester (along with all the "little" stuff like quizzes and papers). And I thought that made me tired.

Whoa. That's intense. We won't have more than 3 exams in a week this semester (along with all the "little" stuff like quizzes and papers). And I thought that made me tired.

That sounds amazing as I go into mid-terms week this next week... Five exams... This weekend is going to be AWESOME! -.-

That sounds amazing as I go into mid-terms week this next week... Five exams... This weekend is going to be AWESOME! -.-
Yea I've got four exams, a neuro quiz and case research :eek: living the dream :p

What is a weekend? We seem to have an exam every Monday (we have 8 exams in a 10 week quarter), so Friday 5pm- Monday 7am is "go time" for my study style.

The sad part is that they are "easing" us into it. The second years just had 4 weeks of 3 exams each week, and when we start the true block style (8 weeks of class and then switch) in January, it will be much worse.

Gosh... and I thought Penn was rough. The first years have a test a week for four weeks, a week off, and then they repeat that cycle.

The sad part is that they are "easing" us into it. The second years just had 4 weeks of 3 exams each week, and when we start the true block style (8 weeks of class and then switch) in January, it will be much worse.
And the next two weeks... we shall not even speak of those right now 0.o

And the next two weeks... we shall not even speak of those right now 0.o
I know, I looked at your class board and nearly had a heart attack for you... isn't it like 8 exams in the next 2 weeks or something crazy like that?

I know, I looked at your class board and nearly had a heart attack for you... isn't it like 8 exams in the next 2 weeks or something crazy like that?
One of my classmates apparently counted and posted on facebook- 10 plus a quiz. I haven't even wanted to look...

That doesn't seem conductive to learning... More like a weed out tactic. Best of luck to you guys!

That doesn't seem conductive to learning... More like a weed out tactic. Best of luck to you guys!
I don't know if I would say it's a weed out tactic. They want us all to pass and will give you endless support to help you through. I believe it's more of a disadvantage of having 8-week blocks. You usually have 4-5 classes at a time and so exams are much closer together (though technically not on as much material). This also means you have 1-2 weeks of finals for each block, which is what the second years are going through now.

Makes you keep up on the material, too... though it can get tough if you fall behind (still does stop me from studying the night before for some exams... which will be happening these next two weeks).

One of my classmates apparently counted and posted on facebook- 10 plus a quiz. I haven't even wanted to look...

holy crap, I just realized it really is 10 plus a quiz..... really though, after multiple 3 test weeks- whats one more test hahaha

I don't know if I would say it's a weed out tactic. They want us all to pass and will give you endless support to help you through. I believe it's more of a disadvantage of having 8-week blocks. You usually have 4-5 classes at a time and so exams are much closer together (though technically not on as much material). This also means you have 1-2 weeks of finals for each block, which is what the second years are going through now.

hahaha I wiiish we had 1-2 weeks of finals!!!! Next week ( week 7) is a normal week with 4 normal exams... then week 8 is all finals except we have 2 path exams that week - 1 just a normal path exam and 2 days later we have the path final over the remaining topic + cumulative for the past 8 weeks... the only good thing about finals week is that once you take an exam, that class is done which means no class time and more study time. luckily this block our finals are spread out - 1 a day for 4 days ( plus that 1 normal path exam thrown in there too)

My brain is so tired...7th exam of the semester is on Monday (Phys) and our first SOAP assignment is due on Tuesday...which I haven't even started. There will be a two week "break" of no exams, only quizzes and assignments, so I'm really looking forward to Monday afternoon.

Yet. Despite the stress of studying, worrying about failing out, and the lack of sleep...I still LOVE vet school. This school is amazing. The faculty are amazing. My classmates are even more amazing. I'm in 8 awesome clubs, have been to multiple informative and interesting seminars, and have made some of the best friends I could ask for. I hope I keep feeling this way as the semester (and the program) progresses.

OKAY! Enough sentimentality. Back to cramming for Phys! :ninja:

I'm living with 9 first years right now. They're all terrified!

Yeah...I've talked to a few about the test. I'm not the best person to ask for advice since I failed the first exam and anatomy was just a struggle for me. I just couldn't figure out how to study for it well and probably would have a done a little better with a slightly different exam format. I just tell people not to take it with a 103 degree fever because that might have happened on the first exam for me...

Cell Bio, Clin Path, and Anatomy exams DONE!!!! :soexcited: Only 2 more this week, Radiology and Animal Behavior! :heckyeah:

Reactions: 2 users
I got radiology out of the way on Friday. My problem now is I don't feel like studying but I need to study for animal behavior.
Radiology is actually kind of tough. Behavior is easy peasy.

How are we already halfway through our first semester of vet school?! So crazy.

We got the results from our first exams today and I did much better than I thought I did! :soexcited: Now to celebrate with cheesecake!!

FREEDOM!!! First round of tests is over and we finally have a free weekend! :D

Last edited:
I'm a bit sleep deprived, but the anatomy exams over the thorax and abdominal cavity are now complete! :soexcited:

Now I just need to scrape up some motivation to study for my cardiovascular physiology exam on Monday...

Exams are done and we have a four day weekend! Turn up is about to commence :D

Survived midterms week with flying colors, PARTAYYYY WEEKEND :D

Midterms are done! We had our white coat ceremony yesterday! Now time to keep on keepin on! moving on to studying anatomy this weekend.

Speaking of anatomy.... Does anyone have any tricks to remembering the various arteries that branch off of the celiac, cranial mesenteric, and caudal mesenteric arteries? They all seem like such a spider web of a mess to me right now.