Class of 2018...how you doin? ;)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Probably not exciting for you all to hear about...but I get to see all of my old friends over break! And be in my brother's wedding!

AND I will finally have time to read a book! (I love reading but I can't let myself read during school time or I won't study for tests ever, haha)

Just 3 more exams first....:dead:
I also love reading and have allowed myself to read a little too much this semester. When we're done I will be stocking up on ebooks for when I fly home. Also that interprofessional interest email that was sent out I expressed my interest for the orchestra and have decided I will bring my trumpet back with me.

As for anything fun: just planning on spending time with friends from home and then a brief trip to see friends from undergrad.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Cumulative small animal anatomy and radiography exams tomorrow (eek!), then 3 more to go until sweet, sweet freedom. It's so close..

Cumulative small animal anatomy and radiography exams tomorrow (eek!), then 3 more to go until sweet, sweet freedom. It's so close..
Wait a second.. you have a final on a SUNDAY? :wow: That's so brutal.

Members don't see this ad :)
Wait a second.. you have a final on a SUNDAY? :wow: That's so brutal.

Yup. Tell me about it. Not a happy camper. Even our professors complain about it though, so I think it's out of their control. Just one of those things :/

Yup. Tell me about it. Not a happy camper. Even our professors complain about it though, so I think it's out of their control. Just one of those things :/
I mean I've heard (and had to have) a Saturday final before.. but that was at the end of finals week. That really stinks, but.. at least you will get it out of the way?

Goodluck! :luck:

I mean I've heard (and had to have) a Saturday final before.. but that was at the end of finals week. That really stinks, but.. at least you will get it out of the way?

Goodluck! :luck:

Haha yeah exactly, at least anatomy will be out of the way first. Thanks! You too if you still have finals left!

that interprofessional interest email that was sent out I expressed my interest for the orchestra and have decided I will bring my trumpet back with me.
YAYYYYY!! :D I'm hoping we will have more vet school representation next semester!
And spoiler alert: we're going to be playing movie music! Jurassic park will be included. I may or may not be obnoxiously excited about it, haha.

Yeah, having two cumulative finals on a Sunday isn't on my top list of things I enjoyed. I'm glad to be done with them though.

Just. 2. More. Finals. Left. I'm so exhasuted, and I don't want to look at neuro at all today after the torture that was anatomy, but unfortunately I have to. How I will summon up a good 10 more hours worth of studying I have no idea.
marathon-rotorua-marked-with-dramatic-finish-1.jpg

To anyone still struggling with finals, we are SO CLOSE to the finish line (I'm the person on the left myself...)

Tomorrow at 1pm we will be free :D

Reactions: 3 users
YOU. CAN. GO. ALL. THE. WAAAAAAAY! :claps::clap::soexcited:

Just. 2. More. Finals. Left. I'm so exhasuted, and I don't want to look at neuro at all today after the torture that was anatomy, but unfortunately I have to. How I will summon up a good 10 more hours worth of studying I have no idea.
marathon-rotorua-marked-with-dramatic-finish-1.jpg

To anyone still struggling with finals, we are SO CLOSE to the finish line (I'm the person on the left myself...)

Tomorrow at 1pm we will be free :D

I'm not even in this picture... :help:

WE'RE FREE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D:D:D:D:D

(time for a 20-hour nap!)

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Finals week was horrendous, but I'm so glad it's over and so happy I will be returning in January. Unfortunately, finals week claimed at least 3 of my classmates, so unless administration shows them mercy, they won't be returning. It's really bittersweet for me and the rest of my classmates who made it through alive. I'm definitely feeling a bit of survivor's guilt, especially since one of those who failed a course is one of my close friends. With 2 classmates having dropped out mid semester, and 3 failing out due to finals, we've lost at least 5, possibly more. It just hits so close to home.

And on that note... I'm finally going home tomorrow for the first time in over 4 months. :soexcited:

Finals week was horrendous, but I'm so glad it's over and so happy I will be returning in January. Unfortunately, finals week claimed at least 3 of my classmates, so unless administration shows them mercy, they won't be returning. It's really bittersweet for me and the rest of my classmates who made it through alive. I'm definitely feeling a bit of survivor's guilt, especially since one of those who failed a course is one of my close friends. With 2 classmates having dropped out mid semester, and 3 failing out due to finals, we've lost at least 5, possibly more. It just hits so close to home.

And on that note... I'm finally going home tomorrow for the first time in over 4 months. :soexcited:

Holy cow, is it normal for that many people to fail or drop out every year??

Holy cow, is it normal for that many people to fail or drop out every year??
I'm actually not sure if that many at this stage of the game is abnormal or not. The second years lost... 6? first year, and I know the 3rd years entered clinics with 108 (out of 120 originally), though 108 seems a bit less than normal. For us, I believe one may have been for non-academic reasons, though I think an estimate of 4-5 after that brutal finals week would probably be about right. I guess we will see when we come back after Christmas break...:(

Wow that's crazy.. Those numbers just seem so high! I think the second years at Wisconsin only lost 3 and one of those were for non-academic reasons. And I only know of one in our class who may be in trouble after this semester.. I didn't know other schools had such high numbers :/

We've lost... 5 people I believe. Those are the ones that officially left the school, mostly for non-academic reasons. After finals though I know of a few people who failed a few classes and will have to 'decel' or try to take resit exams in January.

I believe our class is now down to 113 (not from finals, though). We will be having someone from the class above join us in March to bring us back to 114. We started with 120... That first finals week is always brutal.

That moment when you're sad people failed but want to know who they are.... the struggle is real.

Curious. How do y'all know people are out? Do the students say something? I'm curious to know if we lost anyone after finals. Of course, A&M allows one F (must be repeated with a passing grade) or two Ds total over the 4 years. Maybe we're a bit more lenient here than others.

For us it's because someone went and discussed their physio grade and the professors literally told her she was lucky she wasn't one of the people with a D. Here if you get a D you have to wait til the next year and can't move on.

Curious. How do y'all know people are out? Do the students say something? I'm curious to know if we lost anyone after finals. Of course, A&M allows one F (must be repeated with a passing grade) or two Ds total over the 4 years. Maybe we're a bit more lenient here than others.

Yeah often times people tell their friends. Eventually it spreads around. Sometimes professors will share (if maybe inadvertently). One of ours sent out a distribution for the final course grades, so everyone immediately knew.

I've always seen that Mizzou is actually a little weird for US schools with how many students they lose. I remember looking in the VMSAR admissions book and pretty much every school except them is 1-2 students, then bam, like 5-6. Think TAMU was a little higher for the years of data I had, too.

Okstate ain't no slouch at loosing them either. Our class started at 82, then we lost, um, 12 I think first year. Seems we may have saved everyone this year though.
Whoa, and I thought we lost a lot.

This is probably pure speculation, but I wonder if one of the reasons Mizzou loses a lot because of their strict fail policy. If you get an F in a course, there is no re-sit exam, and you can't just drop to the class below you. If you get 9 credits of D you are also out. You can try to appeal to be allowed to apply all over again, though I'm not sure how successful that is.

Whoa, and I thought we lost a lot.

This is probably pure speculation, but I wonder if one of the reasons Mizzou loses a lot because of their strict fail policy. If you get an F in a course, there is no re-sit exam, and you can't just drop to the class below you. If you get 9 credits of D you are also out. You can try to appeal to be allowed to apply all over again, though I'm not sure how successful that is.
yeah, I think with one D, you get a retest, but more than that, you are out. I know there is also a minimum D per year policy that is pretty strict, but not off hand.

Okstate ain't no slouch at loosing them either. Our class started at 82, then we lost, um, 12 I think first year. Seems we may have saved everyone this year though.

Wow, keeping the students loose. How does that work? Probably not a bad way to pay off loans.... ;) :p

What other schools don't allow D's? At Midwestern we can retake the year if we get 1 D and petition to repeat. 2 D's you're out. I think D is failing because that is the policy of the med school and we go by the same rules. We lost 5 the first quarter, but only 2 of those I know were for grades. The positive is we do have a re-exam option to earn a C-, but you only quality if you have one D.

No D for DVM at Purdue for sure. They allow remediation in some classes but it's a process

UT used to be F means you had to petition to come back the next year. Same with 2 D's. Or multiple Ds over years. We only lost 4/70 my first year and 2 came back the next year. We graduated 66 total but we also added back from other years and lost 1-2/year. It might have changed now

Wow. Michigan State seems lax compared to the rest. If you fail any class or your cumulative GPA drops below 2.0 (2.0 = 76%) you are put on academic probation. If you then have another semester that you fail a class or drop below 2.0 then they put you on extended curriculum which means it takes longer to graduate. I know you can get kicked out but they really try to give you every chance. Not sure how I feel about it really. But we have 2 on extended curriculum from the class above us and 2 deferred early for non academic reasons.

anyone else having post-break blues as vacation comes to a end?

anyone else having post-break blues as vacation comes to a end?
Yes, I am right here with you. On one hand, I am secretly excited about a few of our classes, but on the other hand, we are going to be fully immersed in the 8-week block system (so 3 sets of finals for us from Jan to June... yuck :barf:), which scares me a little.

Not yet, just started a 2 week externship!!! yay for long winter breaks!

Sorry for those who have to go back already though :(

We went back on Friday. Leaving my family again was the hardest thing ever!

Is anyone here a SAVMA delegate? I was recently elected junior delegate at Mizzou. I will be at the SAVMA symposium at Minnesota in March anyway, but will be in delagate meetings much of the time. I'll also be at the AVMA convention in Boston sometime this summer. I was just curious if any fellow SDNer's might also be delegates with me.

2 days in this block, and the schedule is already so cruel. 8am-6pm days can go away.

Just sat down and took a really good look at our schedule this semester...and it's bad. It's so bad. I guess they don't call this semester the worst at A&M for no reason... :cryi:

Question for people at Purdue... has anyone dropped out of your class so far?

We went back on Friday. Leaving my family again was the hardest thing ever!
I left yesterday and my dog gave me a death glare out of the bedroom window as the car rolled away. Westies can be cruel! haha poor little guy... I miss him already!

We are about a week in... our schedules are kid of weird with some rotating days. Hopefully I do not get too confused.

I left yesterday and my dog gave me a death glare out of the bedroom window as the car rolled away. Westies can be cruel! haha poor little guy... I miss him already!

Leaving the pets is tough, the dogs and cat are SO happy when I come home to visit. But it's leaving hubby and son that just kills me! I'm home for a visit this weekend, and everything is complicated because my car got a flat on the highway and they can't fix it until at least Monday, but I have to be back for an exam Monday morning. We have a plan to get me there, but what a pain!

SCVMA symposium was amazing, but now I have a lot of catching up to do, especially in anatomy....

Leaving the pets is tough, the dogs and cat are SO happy when I come home to visit. But it's leaving hubby and son that just kills me! I'm home for a visit this weekend, and everything is complicated because my car got a flat on the highway and they can't fix it until at least Monday, but I have to be back for an exam Monday morning. We have a plan to get me there, but what a pain!

SCVMA symposium was amazing, but now I have a lot of catching up to do, especially in anatomy....

My roommate's dog thankfully was happy to see me when I got back, so that made it a bit better. On the flip side, the kitty seemed a bit grumpy at first (now he has to share my bed with me! haha)

5 days into the semester and my to do list is so long I can't see the top of it anymore.

Sooooo not ready for this semester to start tomorrow...