Class of 2018...how you doin? ;)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Question for people at Purdue... has anyone dropped out of your class so far?

No one has dropped out of our PVM 2018 class. I do know that a few people may need to re-mediate a class or two over the summer.

Members don't see this ad.

soo kinda excited that SAVMA Symposium will be at my school on my first year!

Anyone here going? just curious :D

Members don't see this ad :)
What a rough week it's been. So. Many. Exams. :barf: Just 3 more to go and then we will finally have a bit of a lull!

I am so excited to be halfway down with this block. :) Just 4 more weeks until we switch (to hopefully better!) classes.

Reactions: 2 users
Hey guys! Out of curiosity, I was wondering what the histology curriculum looked like at other schools. The reason I bring it up is because I am in a SAVMA delegate group on facebook and someone recently posed a question about comparing cell bio courses at other schools and one of the replies mentioned that course is usually combined with another "filler course like histo." This comment caught my attention. I certainly don't consider histo a "filler course" and I know I don't speak for myself when I say histology is my worst nightmare this block. (Two of my classmates failed out of school due to failing histo last block, and many others received D's and are now on academic probation. As a reference, our scale is C=70-79, D=68-69, F=67 and below). At Mizzou we take 3 blocks of histo (aka micro anatomy) which equates to 24 weeks. I did not take histo in undergrad, but I'm curious to know how our course compares to other vet programs on a level of difficulty/weight. We have lab 4 hours a week where we do the traditional slide organ/tissue identification, but then there is another significant portion of lab that combines lecture topics as they relate to parts of the organ. Lab certainly isn't our safety net, gradewise. Perhaps its our professor, but lab written notes are sometimes more difficult to comprehend than actual lecture and much more difficult than simple slide identification. Our lab practicals consist of about 20 ID slides (70%) and about 30% scanned paper computer images with arrows and letters asking for very specific info about what the part is or does/doesn't do. These are also usually K-type questions (A, B, C A&B, B&C, none, all, etc) and T/F. Lecture and lab correspond well with material, but in lecture we cover very specfic physiological concepts regarding the structures, layers, organs, etc. Our last lecture and lab exams included GI as well as endocrine organs and the in-depth info that accompanied (along with past material review questions). Lecture exams are usually worth the same point value as their corresponding lab exam, but typically consist of 14-16 pages of various question types (K-type, lots of fill ins, check all that apply, matching, T/F etc). Our final exams (lab and lecture) are cumulative for all 3 blocks and the lecture exam is spiral bound, about 1 inch thick. My question is, do any of your curriculums go into extensive detail for each section you cover or is it more centered around identification? I've just been thinking about this a lot recently and although I definitely understand the importance of everything we are covering, sometimes it seems like it would make more sense to cover some of the more detailed topics in a course designated for that area (ie. endocrinology or therio). IMO, it seems like our histo course is a catch all for everything, and I was curious to see what others are going through. Again, this is really just me being curious. I'm not revamping our curriculum. lol Thanks!

Last edited:
At OSU, histo is a semester long course we take in our first semester. It is 3 credit hours and consists of lecture and lab. For this class C=73-76.9, D= 60-66.9, and E= below 60. For every lab we had a quiz that was mainly for attendance. We took it on the computer after we had gone through the lab and they were a total of 10% of our grade. We had 2 non-cumulative written exams that were multiple choice (30% each), 2 non-cumulative practical exams, and 1 cumulative practical exam (10% each). For the practical exams, an image was placed on the screen and we had I think it was 1 minute to answer the question on our sheet pertaining to that question. The lab portion was about once a week for about 2 hours and we had a guided powerpoint of images followed by an e slide set. The e slide set had slides that had been scanned in at various magnifications allowing us to use the computer as the microscope. Lecture went through various topics. I don't feel like this class was only identification. We did go into function but not too in depth. My guess is that is for our system based classes when we take them second year. Definitely didn't feel like a filler course to me. Our cell bio course on the other hand definitely was. Other OSU people feel free to jump in and correct/add things.

Can somebodyy help! =)

Hey to all those current students at Auburn... What kinds of hands on experience can i get my first year? (Both semesters) I really want a program that gives that to you right off the bat.. Like physical exams and what not.. Can someone explain what years 1-3 are like hands-on and surgery experience wise? I really would want to go to auburn but i am not sure if the curriculum is hands on enough but i just dont know anything about it! Could someone also tell me, are classes mandatory now???

Also, could someone let me know what it's like at Purdue?? I am trying to decide between these two schools and i want to know hands-on experiences, attendance policies, and how crazy exams are in terms of spacing/frequency also!!

Thank you so mch ahead of time!!! I AM SO LOST !

Tomorrow is the beginning of block 3 finals, and considering the first 2 exams are large animal anatomy... I'm not ready! :scared:

Can somebodyy help! =)

Hey to all those current students at Auburn... What kinds of hands on experience can i get my first year? (Both semesters) I really want a program that gives that to you right off the bat.. Like physical exams and what not.. Can someone explain what years 1-3 are like hands-on and surgery experience wise? I really would want to go to auburn but i am not sure if the curriculum is hands on enough but i just dont know anything about it! Could someone also tell me, are classes mandatory now???

Also, could someone let me know what it's like at Purdue?? I am trying to decide between these two schools and i want to know hands-on experiences, attendance policies, and how crazy exams are in terms of spacing/frequency also!!

Thank you so mch ahead of time!!! I AM SO LOST !
Purdue: you do get hands-on experience in your first semester through your husbandry class. Learning how to do physical exams and such on your lab dogs (which are adopted out each year to loving students and families). There is also the Applications and Integration course (required in your core curriculum) that has you evaluating and diagnosing cases (real actual cases that have come through the hospital in the past). The cases correspond some with your other courses.

Reactions: 1 users
Purdue: you do get hands-on experience in your first semester through your husbandry class. Learning how to do physical exams and such on your lab dogs (which are adopted out each year to loving students and families). There is also the Applications and Integration course (required in your core curriculum) that has you evaluating and diagnosing cases (real actual cases that have come through the hospital in the past). The cases correspond some with your other courses.
Thanks girl!! Purdue seemsto have so many more hands-on opportunities built right in to the curriculum , so students dont need to work hard to find them on their own... Ugh i am in love with the south though! I wish i knew amore abt auburn... Purdue's program seems so well-rounded. And thanks for the response!!

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks girl!! Purdue seemsto have so many more hands-on opportunities built right in to the curriculum , so students dont need to work hard to find them on their own... Ugh i am in love with the south though! I wish i knew amore abt auburn... Purdue's program seems so well-rounded. And thanks for the response!!
Just keep in mind that wherever you decide to go, you have to make the best out of your time in vet school. Even if the curriculum doesn't have hands-on experience first year, you can join clubs and attend wet-labs, or apply for week-long externships that offer hands-on experiences.

VMCVM has a similar program where you do monthly physical exams. Sometimes we get live animals for stuff like eye exams, feeling palpable structures, etc. not super exciting or anything but it changes it up a bit :) recently we had an IV catheter lab with fake legs to practice on, too. mostly you have to join clubs that hold wet labs. I know some people who aren't doing food animal join the food animal club just because you get to do a lot of hands on stuff with them! (And skills transfer) So that's something to keep in mind.

Block of Darkness (Block 3) IS NOW OVER!!!!!!! :soexcited::soexcited:

We are thrown immediately into a new block with new classes and I'm excited to start:D

Members don't see this ad :)
Block of Darkness (Block 3) IS NOW OVER!!!!!!! :soexcited::soexcited:

We are thrown immediately into a new block with new classes and I'm excited to start:D

Man oh man do I wish we didn't have a whole semester of everything... I'm a big fan of fresh starts and I need one now!

On the plus side spring break is sooooooo close and I'm so excited to go camping on the beach!! 2 more weeks...

Man oh man do I wish we didn't have a whole semester of everything... I'm a big fan of fresh starts and I need one now!

On the plus side spring break is sooooooo close and I'm so excited to go camping on the beach!! 2 more weeks...
Well we have about half "new classes" (Endo/Repro, Immuno, and Epi are replacing Nutrition, Gi phys, and Micro), and then we have a "continuation" of Developmental Anatomy, Large Animal Anatomy, and Clinical Skills.

The new schedule is nice though, it's already 100X better than last block and I would have done anything to have gotten rid of micro and nutrition :p

One of my biggest complaints with SGU... No spring break

Almost done with the first week of this block, and so far it's going alright, though Epi is really boring, which bums me out since I have it 5 times a week...

How is everyone else's semester going?

Almost done with the first week of this block, and so far it's going alright, though Epi is really boring, which bums me out since I have it 5 times a week...

How is everyone else's semester going?

Midterms started today, so at the moment not the greatest :p Can't wait for this next week of my life to be OVER.

I have one last final in Renal on Monday, and then just some easy classes the rest of the week before spring break starts! So excited because I haven't seen my boyfriend since Christmas and he's flying down, and we're going to meet up with my brother and friends from undergrad in the Bahamas, as well as spend a few days down in the Keys. I am finding it so hard to find motivation to study right now though...

It's my first time as well! I've been using my study breaks to look up things to do, and to just google maps it and look at the street views haha. The water looks amazing!!
I would definitely recommend snorkeling off of Looe Key. They have a couple places that do dive tours. It is amazing.

I hate this semester. I hate it so much.

I hate this semester. I hate it so much.
2242102-gamer-gifs-i-know-that-feel-bro.gif

On the plus side, you're almost half-way through! And just think, in two more months (give or take a week or two), we will be second years! :D

[QUOTE="I've just been thinking about this a lot recently and although I definitely understand the importance of everything we are covering, sometimes it seems like it would make more sense to cover some of the more detailed topics in a course designated for that area (ie. endocrinology or therio). IMO, it seems like our histo course is a catch all for everything, and I was curious to see what others are going through. Again, this is really just me being curious. I'm not revamping our curriculum. lol Thanks![/QUOTE]

THIS IS EXACTLY HOW I FELT ABOUT HISTO! I was so overwhelmed by trying to differentiate a pink dot from another pink dot that were completely different( why then do they look exactly the same?). I eventually made peace with it because the only thing worse than doing form and function would be doing just form, and it did provide a little basis for endocrine, vision, etc which made it easier the second time around when we saw it in another class. Also this website helped me out greatly http://www.vetmed.vt.edu/education/curriculum/vm8054/VM8054HP.htm

One... More... Midterm... SO CLOSE to being able to sit on the beach with drink in hand and no worries!

Meant to post earlier, but went home and passed out for about 7 hours. :oops:

So...HELLO, SPRING BREAK! :soexcited:

I hope the rest of you are done or nearly there. Wish I could say it was a true break, but we have two exams and some quizzes waiting for when we get back first thing. :yeahright:

That's so weird... I guess I always assumed the school calendar was the same throughout North America. We had our break in Feb and are now pushing to the finish line. Last day of finals for us is April 28 (or 29 if you have to do OSCE re-sits). I can't believe first year is almost over!

2242102-gamer-gifs-i-know-that-feel-bro.gif

On the plus side, you're almost half-way through! And just think, in two more months (give or take a week or two), we will be second years! :D
So much positivity. :D

Yay, we're almost 1/4 done with vet school! And almost 1/3 done with the lecture-based learning portion.

How is Spring Break almost over?! It felt like it just started! :arghh:

I did not attend SAVMA Symposium this year ('cause of costs and being poor and all), but I just found out we'll be hosting Symposium 2017 at TAMU! Whoop! :X3: I'll actually get to attend one!

Reactions: 5 users
I did not attend SAVMA Symposium this year ('cause of costs and being poor and all), but I just found out we'll be hosting Symposium 2017 at TAMU! Whoop! :X3: I'll actually get to attend one!

Whoop!!!!! I get to rejoin my fellow Aggies! I didn't go this year because I was in New Orleans and I won't next year because of a wedding. Now I'm uber excited!!!:soexcited:

Last edited:
Spring break was wonderful, but now it's back to the grind... I was hoping that a week off would help my motivation, but somehow I still have the same amount of apathy that I had 2 weeks ago... which isn't good considering the 4 exams we have this week. Oof. :drowning:

13 more weeks until summer!

Spring break was wonderful, but now it's back to the grind... I was hoping that a week off would help my motivation, but somehow I still have the same amount of apathy that I had 2 weeks ago... which isn't good considering the 4 exams we have this week. Oof. :drowning:

13 more weeks until summer!

I love your avatar... That is all :)

THREE MORE WEEKS! Three more horribly crammed weeks. Then one long week of finals. SO FOUR MORE WEEKS UNTIL SWEET FREEDOM!

This is supposed to be our worst semester of the whole program...I really hope that's true. Can't wait to not be a first year! :banana:

Reactions: 6 users
THREE MORE WEEKS! Three more horribly crammed weeks. Then one long week of finals. SO FOUR MORE WEEKS UNTIL SWEET FREEDOM!

This is supposed to be our worst semester of the whole program...I really hope that's true. Can't wait to not be a first year! :banana:

So much agreement with you! I can't wait to be back home for the summer and work! And I like to think we will be 1/4 DVMs after this semester. :p

I can't believe how quickly this year went by...
I just had that exact thought today when someone in my class mentioned that we only have 3 weeks of first year left. How did that even happen?? I swear, I live in this weird time warp where months absolutely fly by, but for some reason some days never end. (Though maybe it's just because 3 hours of anatomy lab are attached to most days...)

I just had that exact thought today when someone in my class mentioned that we only have 3 weeks of first year left. How did that even happen?? I swear, I live in this weird time warp where months absolutely fly by, but for some reason some days never end. (Though maybe it's just because 3 hours of anatomy lab are attached to most days...)

Just wait until your next block - It is freaking amazing! I am going to be so so so jealous while us second years are grinding away in one of the most difficult blocks... I guess next block we will be 3rd years. Holy Crap!

Just wait until your next block - It is freaking amazing! I am going to be so so so jealous while us second years are grinding away in one of the most difficult blocks... I guess next block we will be 3rd years. Holy Crap!
I'm going to hold you to that :p. I keep hearing how wonderful the summer block is and I really hope everyone is right... Though, anything has to be better than 14 hours of anatomy a week. RIGHT?

And I completely share your feelings, since while I might technically be a second year in three weeks , I probably won't even start to call myself that until the new first years come in during August. Can I even be called a second year if I still don't know anything? :oops:

Block 4 finals are this week.... :barf:

I see a lot of coffee and not a lot of sleep in my very near future...

Two more rough weeks, then I'll officially be a 2VM! Our school is being awesome by interspersing fun events throughout this next week so we don't die of study brain. I'm especially excited about Dairy Cow Appreciation Monday and U-Paint It Wednesday. :)

So close...so very close.

I hope everyone else is hanging on! I don't know all of y'all's schedules, but I hope you all finish up soon!

Two more rough weeks, then I'll officially be a 2VM! Our school is being awesome by interspersing fun events throughout this next week so we don't die of study brain. I'm especially excited about Dairy Cow Appreciation Monday and U-Paint It Wednesday. :)

So close...so very close.

I hope everyone else is hanging on! I don't know all of y'all's schedules, but I hope you all finish up soon!

That sounds so fun! We have one more week of classes then 1.5 weeks of finals... Cannot wait to be finished with this semester! Good luck everyone on finals! :)

We only have 2 finals left, today and tomorrow (and then some people need to re-sit OSCE stations on Wednesday, but I don't). Today's is in 2 parts, and tomorrow's is full of formulas. I can't wait to be done... it's getting hard to focus! Good luck everyone! :)

We still have this week and next week with classes. Well technically the first exam will be at the end of next week but the main finals start on the 11th. Good luck everyone, we're almost done with this year!!

Guys! I passed anatomy!! :soexcited:

Reactions: 7 users