Class of 2018...how you doin? ;)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
We have our last Virology class tomorrow, Physiology review, then our first final at 1PM (Public Health). Then 5 finals next week (I'm going to die because our Neuro final has the potential to be 6 hours long), then freedom for a week before I start my Merial-NIH Research Fellowship. Sooooo close. Sooooo mentally fatigued.

Members don't see this ad.

Anatomy is OVER, and now I'm officially a VM2!!!! :soexcited:

It's going to be so weird to have an entire weekend for myself. I'm predicting that sleeping and Netflix will consume most of it :D

Reactions: 5 users
I've been away from SDN way too long... thanks vet school. But guys, we're 2nd years!!!!!! I'm so happy to have one year down. Unfortunately, we only have a weekend off and then we start our next 8 week block on Monday. I'm jealous most of you get to dive right into summer break. Enjoy it and think us poor souls often while you're relaxing by the pool.

On a related note, I looked at some numbers yesterday and thought I'd share.
A quick look at our first year (here at Mizzou):
* 32 total weeks of classes (with big ticket items including 32 weeks of anatomy & 24 weeks of micro/histology)
* 13 courses
* 54 exams
* 17 lab practicals
* 33 quizzes

Making it through this year was the most difficult thing I've ever done, but it helps knowing we're all going through it together, even if we are a few thousand miles apart. Congrats everyone! We're 25% vets! :soexcited:

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
3 days into Block 5, and I have to say, the new schedule is pretty awesome :D. I think I will really enjoy Gen Path and Applied Immuno, though so far I'm lukewarm on BacT and Genomics.

To everyone still suffering through finals, dig deep, and goodluck! You are so close to being 1/4 of the way done!!!!

3 days into Block 5, and I have to say, the new schedule is pretty awesome :D. I think I will really enjoy Gen Path and Applied Immuno, though so far I'm lukewarm on BacT and Genomics.

To everyone still suffering through finals, dig deep, and goodluck! You are so close to being 1/4 of the way done!!!!

Gen path is awesome.. It's Your first little nibble of more Doctor-ly things! And Dr. V is amazing, <3 her!!

Reactions: 1 user
Just two more finals monday and wednesday to get through, yay! Too bad Pharm will be the most miserable one of all -_- But the end is in sight!

DOOOONE! I'm officially a 2VM! Time for all the sleep!

Reactions: 4 users
Bravo for getting through first year for those that have finished!! For those not quite done yet, you got this!

It gets both easier and harder from here. You've been broken but made it through. Now the beast you will be up against is apathy. You just gotta keep moving forward, and before you know it, another year will be done once again. Hope everyone has a nice summer planned! Take some time to recharge and definitely don't think jumping into the next semester will be an advantage. Just relax your mind and get your body back into shape (It will be gone again two days into next semester if you're like me, but that's the name of the game). That is my advice.

Be proud of yourselves and know you are great!!! :)

Reactions: 6 users
Bravo for getting through first year for those that have finished!! For those not quite done yet, you got this!

It gets both easier and harder from here. You've been broken but made it through. Now the beast you will be up against is apathy. You just gotta keep moving forward, and before you know it, another year will be done once again. Hope everyone has a nice summer planned! Take some time to recharge and definitely don't think jumping into the next semester will be an advantage. Just relax your mind and get your body back into shape (It will be gone again two days into next semester if you're like me, but that's the name of the game). That is my advice.

Be proud of yourselves and know you are great!!! :)

No truer words have been spoken. Seriously apathy hits harder as the years progress.

Also, the part about not worrying about the next semester, seriously, don't. We had someone who will be a VM3 next semester email all the VM4's asking for syllabi to classes to get a head start "reading this summer". Don't be that person. Especially after your VM2 year going into VM3, that is your LAST summer ever. Don't take it for granted. Enjoy every single drop of sunshine. Vet school will still be there when you get back from summer break. I promise it isn't getting up and walking away.

Reactions: 4 users
I'm pretty sure the more I study pharm for my final tomorrow, the less pharm I actually know...

Members don't see this ad :)
First year down! Can't believe it! It flew by... Now one week of vacation on the island then I get to go home for summer and eat all the Mexican food ever :D

I hope everyone is having an awesome summer so far! :)

I'm currently 2 days and 4 finals away from summer break.... so close, yet so far away....

I'm in my summer break but taking a graduate business minor for health professionals. It's actually more interesting than I expected and because there are only vet students this year they are tailoring our discussions to veterinary business. 2 weeks down and 5 weeks to go this summer. Then 7 weeks next summer.

The first block of second year is FINALLY finished!!!

Helloooo summer! :D

Reactions: 3 users
We're halfway through our summer. I'm shocked to admit this, but I'm actually looking forward to classes starting back up. I weirdly enjoy school...plus, the sooner we get back to it, the sooner I can get gradumacated!

Also, chugging along nicely with my research. I'm excited to present at UC Davis in a month's time! And whoo for all the expenses being covered!

There's only 2 weeks and 3 days left of summer! :arghh: We're officially done with the research program tomorrow. Right after lunch, I'm blowing this popsicle stand in attempt to see as many friends and family as possible before I head back to C-Stat to help out with Orientation. It'll be so surreal to see the 1VMs go through what we did just a year ago!

Hope everyone else has had a relaxing and fulfilling summer!

There's only 2 weeks and 3 days left of summer! :arghh: We're officially done with the research program tomorrow. Right after lunch, I'm blowing this popsicle stand in attempt to see as many friends and family as possible before I head back to C-Stat to help out with Orientation. It'll be so surreal to see the 1VMs go through what we did just a year ago!

Hope everyone else has had a relaxing and fulfilling summer!
I wonder if we ran into each other and didn't even know it! :eek:

I wonder if we ran into each other and didn't even know it! :eek:

Nothing is impossible! I was surprised by how many students were in attendance, to be honest! Did you stay in the dorms? I wanted to burn my little dorm bed to ashes by the time Saturday rolled around. :yeahright: But at least the weather was lovely! Hot, but such low humidity--I was in heaven!

Nothing is impossible! I was surprised by how many students were in attendance, to be honest! Did you stay in the dorms? I wanted to burn my little dorm bed to ashes by the time Saturday rolled around. :yeahright: But at least the weather was lovely! Hot, but such low humidity--I was in heaven!
yes. I had to use the little courtesy drink cup as my in room wash basin. Couldn't believe there wasn't a personal sink or even mini fridge. But had a lovely time otherwise. :)

yes. I had to use the little courtesy drink cup as my in room wash basin. Couldn't believe there wasn't a personal sink or even mini fridge. But had a lovely time otherwise. :)

We went out to dinner on Thursday and I had several friends that searched the dorm building high and low looking for a fridge to keep their leftovers. Never happened. But, yes, I agree--lovely time! The campus was not what I was expecting, but in a good way. I had never been so happy to see a breakfast burrito in my life that Sunday morning!

I go back to the rock next Friday... So not ready to leave the US and everyone here and start year 2 :(

Day one done!! :D

(Is it too early to have a countdown for winter break?)

Reactions: 2 users
First day in the record books. I can't wait to have a 3-hour day tomorrow (and Thursday). My group schedule for this semester is amazeballs.

Three weeks in, and systemic path is already leaving me scarred...

My other classes (viro, parasit, and bacTII) are interesting and manageable, though the amount of exams this block (19 in 7 weeks...) is just a little bit ridiculous.

Three weeks in, and systemic path is already leaving me scarred...

My other classes (viro, parasit, and bacTII) are interesting and manageable, though the amount of exams this block (19 in 7 weeks...) is just a little bit ridiculous.
Is that 19 split up pretty evenly or do you have some weeks with like 5 exams and some weeks with none? I'm not sure which scenario is worse...

I'm liking this year way better than first year so far. Path is amazing...I finally feel like I'm learning some solid info that will help me as a clinician someday. Although the test is coming up soon and I'm scared. :eek:

Is that 19 split up pretty evenly or do you have some weeks with like 5 exams and some weeks with none? I'm not sure which scenario is worse...
It's *pretty* evenly spread, with no weeks (except for the first one..) exam free. So two exams last week, two this week, three next week... and then that trend continues, until it comes to a roaring stop with 4 exams the week before finals and then 5 the week of.

On one hand, it forces me to stay on top on the material, which is nice. On the other hand, I'm going to be so worn out by the time finals is done I don't know if I'll have the stamina to continue on to Block 7 haha.

I'm liking this year way better than first year so far. Path is amazing...I finally feel like I'm learning some solid info that will help me as a clinician someday. Although the test is coming up soon and I'm scared. :eek:
Second year is awesome- way better than first year. The quantity of material is overwhelming (ahem...pharm), but very applicable and enj0yable. It's satisfying to see one's progression from complete neophyte to the beginnings of a competent practitioner. I'd take 2nd year over 1st year any day.

So far I am liking second year SOOO much more than first! I'm starting to feel like I'm actually going to be a doctor someday!

Bacteriology and parasitology are killing me... so many names!

So far I don't mind the names in Path, since they mostly seem to be descriptive. We'll see how long that lasts.

ugh.. just ugh.. spending most days daydreaming of dropping out.. running away and never looking back.

Sitting on the couch doing nothing because we had our first hell week last week and an exam this morning. Enjoying a small bit of relaxation before starting to catch up on everything I ignored last week

Keep the Ohio State CVM in your thoughts and prayers. We just found out that we suddenly lost a member of the Class of 2018.

Thoughts from me and my classmates in Grenada are with you guys <3

Keep the Ohio State CVM in your thoughts and prayers. We just found out that we suddenly lost a member of the Class of 2018.

I just heard about this. I'm so sorry, and all of you guys are in my prayers!

I ask, like others, that everyone keep the Ohio State c/o 2018 in your thoughts. As you know by now, they lost a classmate and it's hit the class very hard.

Remember always you are not alone and we're all doing this vet school thing together. You have your school family and you're loved by them, so, so much.

ugh.. just ugh.. spending most days daydreaming of dropping out.. running away and never looking back.
AMEN.

On one hand, I'm happier in second year, I'm finding it more relevant and interesting, and of course just about anything beats being in anatomy.

On the other hand though, the classes are much more dense (if that's even possible...), and we have quite a bit more material to swim through. I'm currently in the middle of two weeks of exam hell and I'm worried that if I'm already burnt out now, what's going to happen before Christmas break or in the spring, when it's supposed to get even harder?

Let's just say Thanksgiving break can't get here soon enough!

AMEN.

On one hand, I'm happier in second year, I'm finding it more relevant and interesting, and of course just about anything beats being in anatomy.

On the other hand though, the classes are much more dense (if that's even possible...), and we have quite a bit more material to swim through. I'm currently in the middle of two weeks of exam hell and I'm worried that if I'm already burnt out now, what's going to happen before Christmas break or in the spring, when it's supposed to get even harder?

Let's just say Thanksgiving break can't get here soon enough!

This block is certainly exam hell for you guys. But next block gets a lot better as far as exams go. From here on out the material gets more and more relevant and you will actually start feeling like a baby DVM. Block 6 just plain sucks. Block 7 is pretty chill - Hang in there!

Block 6 finals are OVER!!!!! :D

SO EXCITED for this no-school-what-so-ever weekend! :)

Reactions: 1 users
Well done, enjoy it! Think of those of us still in the midst of midterms.... (I get the feeling our schedules are pretty different!)

Well done, enjoy it! Think of those of us still in the midst of midterms.... (I get the feeling our schedules are pretty different!)
Don't worry, I'll nap enough this weekend for everyone :p

Yeah, my school's pretty unique and has 8 week blocks of classes instead of a semester, so we just finished finals today and will start a new block of classes on Monday. Do you guys still have a lot of midterms yet to go?

Yes, unfortunately. Between midterms and assignments there's been at least two things per day for pretty much all of October, and often more than that.

First semester of 2nd year here at A&M has been wonderful so far. They've implemented a Friday-only test schedule for us and it's been working out really great. Does that mean the exams never end? Yes. Does that also mean that I only worry about one subject per week? Abso-effin'-lutely. And so far, so good. I'm not looking forward to next semester, though, where there are tests nearly ever Monday and Friday. But we do start some surgery labs and then in April, it'll be time for White Coat!

This is all going by so quickly!