Class of 2018...how you doin? ;)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Come to MN! Freeze with us!

Haha!! Thanks for the invite. You just might see me in the fall!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Haha!! Thanks for the invite. You just might see me in the fall!

There's just only 2 of us on the "Final Attendance Decisions" thread. I want to see more of my classmates. :)

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Dumb question: has anyone else never had to pay with a money order in their life?

Is anyone else finding it hard to stay motivated for their last bit of undergrad now that you know you're going to vet school next year.
I have Differential Equations and Computer Programming homework to do, and instead I'm just like I DON'T NEED THIS like
tumblr_n26sn8u5mO1qccs68o1_500.gif

Reactions: 7 users
I have a physiology test on Tuesday that I'm supposed to be studying for. Senioritis! Can't say I'm letting my volunteer work slack though

Is anyone else finding it hard to stay motivated for their last bit of undergrad now that you know you're going to vet school next year.
I have Differential Equations and Computer Programming homework to do, and instead I'm just like I DON'T NEED THIS like

Related: I'm on a quarter system, and I have a choice for 2 of the classes I have to take in my last ever quarter (senior spring!! wooooo!!): one class is for fun and another class is for completing my English minor.

I can choose to take a really chill fun musical theater class that many of my friends have enjoyed, and I really like singing and musical theater and think taking an acting class would be an interesting new thing for me. If I choose this, I have to take a science fiction class for my English minor completion, which is cool/fine. The theater class pretty much has no homework besides working on scenes/songs.

I can also choose to take this really cool creative writing course for my English minor that's about dystopias and is more interesting to me than the other English class... but it's at the same time as the musical theater class. So if I take this, I take it with another, more legit class, and it's probably going to be this Evolutionary Ecology course I find really interesting that I was going to audit anyway.

tl;dr one fun interesting class with no work and one just okay class with substantial work VS. two classes with substantial workloads but are both interesting.. (plus the rest of my normal classwork)

Related: I'm on a quarter system, and I have a choice for 2 of the classes I have to take in my last ever quarter (senior spring!! wooooo!!): one class is for fun and another class is for completing my English minor.

I can choose to take a really chill fun musical theater class that many of my friends have enjoyed, and I really like singing and musical theater and think taking an acting class would be an interesting new thing for me. If I choose this, I have to take a science fiction class for my English minor completion, which is cool/fine. The theater class pretty much has no homework besides working on scenes/songs.

I can also choose to take this really cool creative writing course for my English minor that's about dystopias and is more interesting to me than the other English class... but it's at the same time as the musical theater class. So if I take this, I take it with another, more legit class, and it's probably going to be this Evolutionary Ecology course I find really interesting that I was going to audit anyway.

tl;dr one fun interesting class with no work and one just okay class with substantial work VS. two classes with substantial workloads but are both interesting.. (plus the rest of my normal classwork)
Ohhhh take evolutionary ecology :love: I wish we had that at my school!! I'm taking an "outdoor activities" PE class this semester because I needed some random credits! Our "final exam" is going to be a weekend camping trip!!

All my classes this semester are either completing Pre-reqs (aka. Biochem, which I'm actually enjoying and trying in because I know it will be helpful next year. And Physics. Which I hate omg. My professor is horrible) or finishing up electives for my math major (Diff. Equations. and Programming). I really liked programming at the beginning of the semester, but now it's getting hard and I can't do the homework by myself. Same with Diff. Eq. I'm not sure what I'm doing, and have no motivation to figure out how.

I also have a capstone project to work on, which is basically me knitting a map of the USA using graph theory to make it "math-like," but I'm too poor right now to go buy the yarn I need.........................

hardcore parkour!

Reactions: 2 users
I also have a capstone project to work on, which is basically me knitting a map of the USA using graph theory to make it "math-like," but I'm too poor right now to go buy the yarn I need.........................

Wait what? This sounds so cool. You should sell it on etsy.

I do have an etsy shop. If it looks alright when I'm done I'll seriously consider doing that. I hadn't even thought to do it. It would make up for having to pay a good sum of money for the yarn.

Edit: this was supposed to be in reply to @bluesails

Members don't see this ad :)
I do have an etsy shop. If it looks alright when I'm done I'll seriously consider doing that. I hadn't even thought to do it. It would make up for having to pay a good sum of money for the yarn.

Edit: this was supposed to be in reply to @bluesails

If you do other countries and can show me pics I'd be super interested in commissioning you to do one of my home country haha. Not even kidding. It just sounds really cool and I can't wait to decorate a room I'll live in for a year (I've been moving a lot in undergrad)

If you do other countries and can show me pics I'd be super interested in commissioning you to do one of my home country haha. Not even kidding. It just sounds really cool and I can't wait to decorate a room I'll live in for a year (I've been moving a lot in undergrad)

What's your home country?

All my classes this semester are either completing Pre-reqs (aka. Biochem, which I'm actually enjoying and trying in because I know it will be helpful next year. And Physics. Which I hate omg. My professor is horrible) or finishing up electives for my math major (Diff. Equations. and Programming). I really liked programming at the beginning of the semester, but now it's getting hard and I can't do the homework by myself. Same with Diff. Eq. I'm not sure what I'm doing, and have no motivation to figure out how.

I'm taking biochem and physics right now, too. Physics is pretty much my least favorite class ever (and I have to take it next quarter, too :cryi:), but my biochem class is interesting. It's advanced biochem, so it's not just memorizing pathways... I only took it because UMN needed more than 4 quarter units of biochem, but it's been my favorite class this quarter. But yeah, I'm definitely feeling the senioritis.

*looks at cat gifs instead of studying*
crab3-2.gif

Reactions: 5 users
I'm taking biochem and physics right now, too. Physics is pretty much my least favorite class ever (and I have to take it next quarter, too :cryi:), but my biochem class is interesting. It's advanced biochem, so it's not just memorizing pathways... I only took it because UMN needed more than 4 quarter units of biochem, but it's been my favorite class this quarter. But yeah, I'm definitely feeling the senioritis.

View attachment 179024
I am so easily distracted by cat gifs!

*sees cat gif spends 30 minutes looking at cat gifs*:laugh:
MomHug.gif

View attachment 179024

Yeah. It sucks that we need more than one semester of physics because I took college credit Physics in high school, but since it wasn't enough credits, and I hadn't taken it in 4 years, I ended up taking two whole semesters again. And my professor is literally horrible. He's had to have meetings with the dean because of how bad his teaching skills are and how unfair/confusing he is. He's also our main higher level Chemistry professor now that one of our long time professors retired, and literally all of our Chem majors except for one transferred because of how little they were learning from him. I'm not even joking.
Thank goodness he's not teaching Biochem. I have one of the best professors for that class. And yeah! It's not just memorizing pathways either. She primarily uses scientific papers as our method of learning, so it can be very challenging, but I enjoy it.
We also just made wine in lab. :)
....aaaaand I have an exam today that I didn't study much for. Oops. I should go do that..........

I want a kitty. Is this irresponsible?? I need something to cuddle while studying!

I want a kitty. Is this irresponsible?? I need something to cuddle while studying!
Cats are super easy in vet school. The only thing I would recommend is if you're going to get a young cat you should get two. It's really helpful when you have two that can bother each other instead of one that only bothers you.

You can also foster! Although I can't guarantee you'll end up keeping him/her ;)

No cats are wonderful! Cuddly yet independent when you are super busy. Best animal next to chickens IMO :cat::chicken:....

Cats make the best vet school pets by far. Cuddly, but independent. When they annoy you while you're taking an online quiz and you're sick of getting up every two minutes to stop them from chewing things, you can threaten them with a squirt bottle yet they won't hate you forever for it. And most importantly, if you've got a full 8-5 day followed by a wetlab or work or just want to go somewhere to study, you don't have to rush home only to find out they peed everywhere!

Also, keep in mind that when you're gone for a vacation or internship/externship you'll have to find someone to catsit.

1902910_746177135422293_278438286_n.jpg

This was my kitty when I was studying for the GRE 2 years ago...

BrXCexw.jpg

Reactions: 6 users
Also, keep in mind that when you're gone for a vacation or internship/externship you'll have to find someone to catsit.
I have found it super easy to find people to pet sit for me. Just saying.

Haha this was mine when I was trying to study Orgo...

Attachments

• sketch and orgo.jpg
    sketch and orgo.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 108
Reactions: 4 users
Cats are super easy to find pet sitters for. Especially because you can leave them alone for longer periods of time (ie, every 2 days) if you can't get someone who can commit to coming every day. Or even longer in a pinch, if you get an automatic feeder and set up an extra litterbox. There aren't many other pets that are as low maintenance as cats. Except maybe fish. And snakes. But they're so low maintenance that it's super easy just to forget to take care of them.

Cats are super easy to find pet sitters for. Especially because you can leave them alone for longer periods of time (ie, every 2 days) if you can't get someone who can commit to coming every day. Or even longer in a pinch, if you get an automatic feeder and set up an extra litterbox. There aren't many other pets that are as low maintenance as cats. Except maybe fish. And snakes. But they're so low maintenance that it's super easy just to forget to take care of them.

You and I have different definitions of low maintenance. I would not place snakes into a low maintenance category, but that is just me.

Do you guys use a pet sitting service? Or do you find classmates/upper or lower classmen, and switch off pet sitting for each other? Both?

Do you guys use a pet sitting service? Or do you find classmates/upper or lower classmen, and switch off pet sitting for each other? Both?

I send out an email to the class as a whole saying I will be gone from x time to y time, can anyone watch my pets?

Usually people respond to that. I am going home for Easter Break and this was the first time I had to get two separate people to watch the ratties. But it seems to have worked out. :)

I send out an email to the class as a whole saying I will be gone from x time to y time, can anyone watch my pets?

Usually people respond to that. I am going home for Easter Break and this was the first time I had to get two separate people to watch the ratties. But it seems to have worked out. :)

This should actually say that the email goes to the entire vet school, not just my class in particular.

We use our class facebook page and our CVM students facebook page, generally.

You and I have different definitions of low maintenance. I would not place snakes into a low maintenance category, but that is just me.
Really? They only eat and poop once every 1-2 weeks, depending on your feeding schedule, so can't get much more low maintenance than that... Now lizards on the other hand, are a pain in the butt...

We use our class facebook page and our CVM students facebook page, generally.

Really? They only eat and poop once every 1-2 weeks, depending on your feeding schedule, so can't get much more low maintenance than that... Now lizards on the other hand, are a pain in the butt...

I mean more the general set up than the feeding. The humidity, temperature, lighting, etc.

I mean more the general set up than the feeding. The humidity, temperature, lighting, etc.
Honestly, aside from temperature, none of that's a big issue for a basic pet snake. They don't require UV lighting like lizards do (at least according to everything I read when I got my snake), or tropical humidities. And temperature's really very easy... you stick a heating pad on one side of the cage, and as long as the snake doesn't seem to favor one side or the other, you've probably got it right. As far as set up is concerned, snakes are really pretty simple compared to most exotic pets (especially lizards), and once you get it set up, there's VERY little effort or materials involved in maintenance.

Honestly, aside from temperature, none of that's a big issue for a basic pet snake. They don't require UV lighting like lizards do (at least according to everything I read when I got my snake), or tropical humidities. And temperature's really very easy... you stick a heating pad on one side of the cage, and as long as the snake doesn't seem to favor one side or the other, you've probably got it right. As far as set up is concerned, snakes are really pretty simple compared to most exotic pets (especially lizards), and once you get it set up, there's VERY little effort or materials involved in maintenance.

Good to know. :)

Especially if you have a cornsnake, who's humidity is just fine in my house without any extra equipment and, like you said, the temperature is a pretty easy setup.

I post on the various class FB pages. I was going on vacation the week before school started and wanted to bring all my animals to Philly (dog and 2 guinea pigs) so that I didn't have to leave them with my parents and go back from them. I found two people to cover all the days and now the one I ask first whenever I need a pet sitter. She comes in to check on the piggies daily and takes my dog to her house where he hangs out with her 3 dogs and cats. Her dogs are all super well behaved since she does agility and other obedience competitions, so he gets along great with them. It's also great because my dog is leash reactive towards other dogs and I trust her to be able to handle him in an appropriate manner that won't further increase his reactivity. She might cost me a little more, but I think it's worth it.

Hi guys!!! Another late straggler to this thread! I am so excited.... And a little lost. After all this anticipation, what can I possibly obsess over now?
...Oh, right... KITTIES.

247740_4884874486090_1830833471_n.jpg

This little turd loves to "help" me study. At least he's cute. :)

Reactions: 5 users
I always have classmates pet sit for me. Easiest thing is to post on the facebook page but if for some reason I couldn't find someone I would email the school. The one thing I will say that I have found really weird here is that vet students don't feel obligated to pay other vet students to watch their pets. I think this is totally rude, but maybe it's just me. I understand if you have a 1-1 exchange of pet sitting duties, but I don't want to do it for free, so why should other people? I guess it's a little different if you are sending pets to someone else's house, but still. I ask my pet sitters to come twice a day for my cats and I think that deserves payment!

I rent a house, and the landlord let me put a doggie door in our back door. That obviously won't work in an apartment situation, but It's awesome for us, because we can shut our dogs in the laundry room during the day and they still have access to outside as needed. I can give my dog extra food and water and leave him overnight and maybe even two in a major pinch. If I'm going to be gone for longer than two days, I usually ask my roommate or a friend to take care of him. I let them decide if they want to come over twice a day to check on him or if they want to take him to their place. I usually pay whoever I've bribed to keep him whatever it would have cost to board him somewhere. The exception is when my roommate keeps him, because she was already going to be at the house and all she has to do is feed him, but even then I pay over half the boarding costs. I can't imagine expecting someone to do it for free, and he's a pretty self sufficient dog.

I pet sit for two families in town that prefer vet students as sitters to look after their special needs pets and fairly regularly post on Facebook asking someone to substitute for me during breaks. It doesn't always work, but it is the easiest way to find someone to pet sit.