Class of 2018...how you doin? ;)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Oh. Haha. Here it's Kwik Trip. Probably why I'm confused.

Members don't see this ad :)
I always have classmates pet sit for me. Easiest thing is to post on the facebook page but if for some reason I couldn't find someone I would email the school. The one thing I will say that I have found really weird here is that vet students don't feel obligated to pay other vet students to watch their pets. I think this is totally rude, but maybe it's just me. I understand if you have a 1-1 exchange of pet sitting duties, but I don't want to do it for free, so why should other people? I guess it's a little different if you are sending pets to someone else's house, but still. I ask my pet sitters to come twice a day for my cats and I think that deserves payment!

I've always paid my pet sitters but we usually offer payment in many forms --baked goods, alcohol, cash, gift cards etc. For me it kind of depends on the extent of what they do. I gave a classmate cookies because she offered to take my dog for a brief walk in between the time my pet sitter dropped him off at 5 AM and when my flight got in around 1 PM.

Totally just realized this was from like 3 pages back...

Is anyone else still not sure where they want to go to school? Just curious as it seems that lots of people on this forum seemed to know where they wanted to go right away.

Reactions: 1 user
Is anyone else still not sure where they want to go to school? Just curious as it seems that lots of people on this forum seemed to know where they wanted to go right away.

Absolutely. I am still deciding myself (though thankfully I am leaning more to one school than another at this point). At the very beginning of this process, I was bound and determined to go to a specific OOS school, and surprisingly enough I actually got accepted there. Now though, after I toured my IS (one I wasn't really enthused about before), I found that I really enjoyed what I saw of the school, and the difference between my IS and OOS is quite a bit financially. That being said, I have connections to family and friends near the OOS school, and of course I still have to actually wait for decisions (I really wish we didn't have to wait until the end of March - Beginning of April) for my instate.

So yes, I am still somewhat debating on which school would be best for me. A few weeks ago I was agonizing over it all - I had no idea what to do. I would even have dreams where I was panicking to make the final decision. So I sat down and made a list of pros and cons, called some vets I worked for, and calculated loans for all three schools out and laid it all on a spreadsheet, which eased my mind quite a bit. So while I'm still not 100% sure, I think I am leaning in the direction of the school that will be the best fit altogether for me. Or, at least, I hope. :p

Running around in circles trying to find out if my insurance will cover my rabies vaccines or not. I have a university-sponsored plan that claims all services provided by the campus' Student Health Services will be covered at 100%--immunizations and injectable medication included . The SHS rep I talked to said that no one that has come through so far has been covered (though they were all on different insurances), but to call Academic Healthplans. The Academic Healthplans rep I talked to wasn't sure, so she told me to call BCBS. The BCBS rep I talked to believes it will be covered (she couldn't find any exclusions on my plan using the provision codes), but she isn't entirely certain either. Wth, people? How does NO ONE know for sure? It's classified as preventative medicine by the SHS and BCBS! Isn't that cheaper to cover than if I were to be bit before being vaccinated? That would be covered, btw. And post-exposure prophylaxes/care would be more expensive than pre-exposure prophylaxes. :yeahright: Where is the logic? Am I missing something here?

Hoping the BCBS rep has good news for me after she contacts someone higher up. I'd really like to not have to spend that money on an already very tight budget. :(

Reactions: 1 users
I am so glad that I am not the only one still deciding about schools. Everyone keeps asking me where I am going like I should have made up my mind a month ago... :unsure:

Running around in circles trying to find out if my insurance will cover my rabies vaccines or not. I have a university-sponsored plan that claims all services provided by the campus' Student Health Services will be covered at 100%--immunizations and injectable medication included . The SHS rep I talked to said that no one that has come through so far has been covered (though they were all on different insurances), but to call Academic Healthplans. The Academic Healthplans rep I talked to wasn't sure, so she told me to call BCBS. The BCBS rep I talked to believes it will be covered (she couldn't find any exclusions on my plan using the provision codes), but she isn't entirely certain either. Wth, people? How does NO ONE know for sure? It's classified as preventative medicine by the SHS and BCBS! Isn't that cheaper to cover than if I were to be bit before being vaccinated? That would be covered, btw. And post-exposure prophylaxes/care would be more expensive than pre-exposure prophylaxes. :yeahright: Where is the logic? Am I missing something here?

Hoping the BCBS rep has good news for me after she contacts someone higher up. I'd really like to not have to spend that money on an already very tight budget. :(

I have BCBS and they said that rabies was covered but I have to find a place that offers the series. I know travel clinics do but I don't know how those places work

I have BCBS and they said that rabies was covered but I have to find a place that offers the series. I know travel clinics do but I don't know how those places work

I'm glad to hear you got a straight answer! I hope that means good news for me. I have the student plan, so I don't know if it'll be different for me or not. And yeah...they were telling me something about going to an in-network clinic and I'd have to pay the $35 office copay, then 20% of the total vaccine cost...or something. I dunno. I'm getting pretty nebulous answers.

Members don't see this ad :)
I used a travel clinic for my series. I called up and made an appointment with one of their nurses, telling them that I was going to vet school and needed the rabies prophylaxis. That was it! I would definitely just look online and find one in your area.

I had a post exposure series, though I wasn't bitten XD so my insurance covered that. I'll just have to get my titer checked.

I got my my series about 4 years ago when I worked in the state lab doing rabies testing. I don't think that I will have much of a titer anymore. So I am probably just going to get my shots again.

Looks like my rabies will be covered by my insurance! Thank goodness! Really didn't know where I was going to come up with that money...

Looks like my rabies will be covered by my insurance! Thank goodness! Really didn't know where I was going to come up with that money...

I know you probably posted this earlier but if you don't mind my asking what insurance do you use?

I know you probably posted this earlier but if you don't mind my asking what insurance do you use?

I have BlueCross BlueShield of Texas. Not sure if it's worth mentioning, but I have the Texas A&M-sponsored plan, so anything done through the campus is covered at 100%. But I believe someone else with BCBS posted that she would be covered too.

Edit: Yes, JDJackson posted that. :)

I have BlueCross BlueShield of Texas. Not sure if it's worth mentioning, but I have the Texas A&M-sponsored plan, so anything done through the campus is covered at 100%. But I believe someone else with BCBS posted that she would be covered too.

Edit: Yes, JDJackson posted that. :)

Awesome thank you! I should be getting bcbs next month.

I got my my series about 4 years ago when I worked in the state lab doing rabies testing. I don't think that I will have much of a titer anymore. So I am probably just going to get my shots again.
It may be worth your time to just get titers done. The vet I work with had her vaccine series when she was in school over 15 years ago. She just had titers done and they are still way higher than the required minimum. :)

Bought my first vet school textbook from an upper classman this morning! She was so sweet and helpful and made me even more excited for the fall. :)

When I got the last injection of the pre-exposure series, I was told that typically it is a 10 year vaccine from that point. I am sure there are people on both sides of the fence though as to how long their immunity lasts. Personally, I would have your titers checked if you only had it 4 years ago.

I think that is what I am going to do. They checked our titers every year. I was starting to drop on to the lower side of "acceptable" the last time I had them check (2 years ago). I hope that maybe I have enough of a titer to be acceptable :)

As of yet, I'm stumped (if anyone has any advice other than "go where it's cheapest" [they're all OOS and therefore stupid expensive] and "follow your heart" [um?] feel free to share!).

If cost/program preferences still leaves you with more choices than you know what to do with, pick your favorite extracurricular activities and go with whichever town/city has that. Sanity is important too :)

(and also keep in mind, imo a few thousand dollars difference in tuition isn't going to change your life- unlike the IS-OOS difference which could, and all the vet schools are academically excellent if you work hard.) I'm going with a place that's outdoorsy because if I get a day off once in a while I'd like to hike because it's my favorite thing to do on a nice day, after narrowing it down some surrounding location was next on the priority list of deciding factors.

Just toured a beautiful little efficiency apartment that's a stone's throw from the vet school, very affordable (rent includes cable and internet), will let me have my Dobie boy, and has a washer/dryer in the unit! I just need to confirm some stuff with a potential roommate and then I'm going to put my name on the list for a pre-lease if I end up going solo this year. SO excited!

I know NJ offers preexposure rabies vaccines cheap throughout the year. I'm waiting for the next registration. It was $170 for all three vaccines plus a titer for $80 at the end. My insurance refuses to cover the pre exposure vaccines making each individual vaccine over $200 >:[

I'm not sure what's keeping me from sending in my deposit. I've pretty much decided on Tufts and told most people that I know, but I've really wrestled every step of the way with turning down other schools. Anyone else feeling this way?

I'm not sure what's keeping me from sending in my deposit. I've pretty much decided on Tufts and told most people that I know, but I've really wrestled every step of the way with turning down other schools. Anyone else feeling this way?
Even when I was 100% sure I wanted to go to cornell it was still scary to turn down other schools!

I finally mailed in my deposit! I feel 100 times better now that I know where I am going in the fall :).

On another note, is anyone else slightly terrified about finding housing? I looked at several places online and put in a few applications, but it still worries me that I won't find a place that I want, or I'll find one in a sketchy part of town, or the only options left will be uber expensive or won't allow pets.... *sigh* I cross off one important stressor off my list to be thrown into another one...

Reactions: 5 users
I'm planning on mailing my deposit tomorrow.. Kind of excited but also bummed at the same time.. Michigan's deposit is $1000 and if I get called off any of the waitlists I'm probably going to switch (mainly due to lower tuition) and be out $1000... I guess in the larger picture that is nothing.. but it still stings!

I'm so happy I got a lot accomplished this weekend. I went to Auburn's open house and got to tour the amazing brand new teaching hospital. I met some of my classmates and they are all super nice. I found a really nice place to live and we put a deposit down to buy our very first home. I got all of my immunizations done today - tb, tetanus, and rabies titer (ouch too many pokes). I've been stressing about all of the things that need to be done for school and I'm finally starting to get things done. I'm starting to get really excited to start vet school in the fall. :)

Reactions: 3 users
I just signed my pre-lease for an awesome apartment that's within walking distance to the vet school. I'm going to go solo for my first year, which I'm insanely exited about. I love living alone.

I can't wait for fall! Though, jk, I kind of can, haha.

Reactions: 2 users
I just signed my pre-lease for an awesome apartment that's within walking distance to the vet school. I'm going to go solo for my first year, which I'm insanely exited about. I love living alone.

I can't wait for fall! Though, jk, I kind of can, haha.

I love living alone too! Thought I was the only one! Definitely living solo for vet school.

I lived with multiple people during undergrad and then alone for my Master's and omg, it was sooo much better. Depending on how finances go (kinda expensive to live alone it looks like), I'll be rooming with friends that I hope will be part of c/o 2019. But definitely going to enjoy my first year of freedom!

I lived with multiple people during undergrad and then alone for my Master's and omg, it was sooo much better. Depending on how finances go (kinda expensive to live alone it looks like), I'll be rooming with friends that I hope will be part of c/o 2019. But definitely going to enjoy my first year of freedom!
If I weren't going OOS I'd live alone for the first year. I'm gonna miss living by myself:eek: It'll be ok though :) I'm super excited!

I'd love to live alone, but it is WAY cheaper to live with roomies (plus, I've become really great friends with mine and it's been a great experience- better than my last roommate experience senior year in undergrad anyway). I'd still say I'd love to live alone if I could afford it but I not worth it at this point in life for me. Just my two cents. I also live with two first years like myself which others say don't do... but I really like it!

Well, I chose to live alone because I'm leaving here at the end of April and I just wanted to have something locked in before I leave since I won't be back until August. I also have several pets, so the few upper classmen that were looking to fill rooms weren't interested in adding the amount of pets I had. It definitely isn't cheap to live alone, but luckily CS has a crazy low cost-of-living, so it's not too bad. I'll pay $600 for 800 sq. ft. and that includes internet, cable, water, and trash. Plus they'll let me have all the pets I want, including my Doberman--who was a huge No-No for most places due to breed/weight restrictions.

Overall, I'm very satisfied with my decision, but I'm more than certain that I'll be moving in with other vet students next year. The timing was just bad this time around. Having been in a not great situation for this last school year, I'm very, very excited to have some time to myself. Not having to worry about making too much noise, coming or going too early or too late, playing whatever music/TV I want, not having to live with another person's bad habits, and being able to have whoever the **** I want over whenever I want them over...Ah! Can't wait!

Reactions: 3 users
Well, I chose to live alone because I'm leaving here at the end of April and I just wanted to have something locked in before I leave since I won't be back until August. I also have several pets, so the few upper classmen that were looking to fill rooms weren't interested in adding the amount of pets I had. It definitely isn't cheap to live alone, but luckily CS has a crazy low cost-of-living, so it's not too bad. I'll pay $600 for 800 sq. ft. and that includes internet, cable, water, and trash. Plus they'll let me have all the pets I want, including my Doberman--who was a huge No-No for most places due to breed/weight restrictions.

Overall, I'm very satisfied with my decision, but I'm more than certain that I'll be moving in with other vet students next year. The timing was just bad this time around. Having been in a not great situation for this last school year, I'm very, very excited to have some time to myself. Not having to worry about making too much noise, coming or going too early or too late, playing whatever music/TV I want, not having to live with another person's bad habits, and being able to have whoever the **** I want over whenever I want them over...Ah! Can't wait!
and walk around with no pants woohoo! :banana:

Reactions: 6 users
And I enjoy air drying after a shower/bath, if you know what I mean. :naughty:

Reactions: 6 users
I'd love to live alone, but it is WAY cheaper to live with roomies (plus, I've become really great friends with mine and it's been a great experience- better than my last roommate experience senior year in undergrad anyway). I'd still say I'd love to live alone if I could afford it but I not worth it at this point in life for me. Just my two cents. I also live with two first years like myself which others say don't do... but I really like it!
Wait why is it bad to live with people the same year as you??

Wait why is it bad to live with people the same year as you??
People say it is because we see them all day in class and the last thing you do is want to see them at home all the time as well -shrug- I haven't had a problem with that, but I can definitely see where they are coming from in some cases. I think I lucked out in the roomie department; most people in my class I would never want to live with.

Sent in my deposit today and looking at housing now! It's a little awkward because I really hit it off with this one girl who came to Admitted Applicant Day, but at the same time I'm also emailing someone who I kind of reached out to from the Facebook group. And right now I have a housing option that may have two rooms open, so I could potentially pull in one of them. I guess I'll make sure that both of the rooms will be open before telling them about it. I'd rather go with the girl I met in person but ideally I'd live with both of them in a diff house.

On another note, is anyone else slightly terrifeid about finding housing? me looked at several places online and put in a few applications, but it still worreis me that me won't find a place that me want, or me'll find one in a sketchy part of town, or the only options left will be uber expensive or won't allow pets.... *sigh* me cross off one important stressor off my list to be thrown into another one...

Here (and I imagine that this would apply to renting in any town with a vet school), many places will make pet exceptions for vet students because we have a better reputation than most renters with pets. So when you respond to ads, make sure to tell them you're a vet student.

Here (and me imagine that this would apply to renting in any town with a vet school), many places will make pet exceptions for vet students because we have a better reputation than most renters with pets. So when you respond to ads, make sure to tell them you're a vet student.
Thanks, I'll actually try that! I have found several really good places that are cheap and would work well for me, and then I see the small line of print saying "NO pets allowed," and I get discouraged again.

Thanks, me'll actually try that! me have found several really good places that are cheap and would work well for me, and then me see the small line of print saying "NO pets allowed," and me get discouraged again.

Definitely throw the vet student card around. We were able to convince our land lord last year to allow pets because of it (and we didn't even have any initially). And I'm not sure if your dog has any of these titles, but sometimes having something along the lines of a CGC title can help, especially with certain breeds.

A lot of the apartment renters I talked to were like "Of course we accept pets!" and I tell them I will be attending the vet school and they're all like that's nice and then I tell them my dog is a husky and then they're like "oh nevermind, no huskies allowed" :mad:. My dog is sitting about four feet away from me right now being a perfect angel (I'm currently at work). She even starts her more advance training tonight......we'll see how well that goes lol