Class of 2018...how you doin? ;)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Yeah a lot of people buy them... I don't know how much they ultimately end up costing people, but I know that the average cost of 1st year spring semester is $170. I think it was a bit less fall semester.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Since you go to UMN, are the printed notes expensive? Do a lot of people buy them?
The packets are amazing - and the packet notes for Anatomy lab in particular are extremely useful. You can go in to VSS to just get specific things printed instead of going in for the whole shebang, I know I don't really use my paper notes that aren't pre-packeted and nicely bound for me (I guess I'm just elitist like that).

Also, a tablet would be incredibly useful for Anatomy lab as well - there are pictures on the U's website that come in handy if you have access to them. People who have the tablets put them in Ziploc bags and are the prized lab partners to have with their fancy devices.

I second what @dovelover said about having to figure out your note taking method once you get into it. I tried typing up notes, hand writing, just trying to pay attention in class, etc and different methods work for different classes.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Side note..... Master's Program DONE!! :soexcited::highfive:

Reactions: 10 users
One more day and one more final. Cumulative. Parasitology. Blegh. I can make a 46/100 and keep a B. I ain't stressing too hard. Still have a paper to write, which will be my second publication (yay!), but I don't need to be on campus to finish it.

I can taste summer's freedom.

Reactions: 1 users
How is everyone done with classes so early? Are you all on a semester system? I have a month and a half of undergrad to go.:( And zero motivation.

How is everyone done with classes so early? Are you all on a semester system? I have a month and a half of undergrad to go.:( And zero motivation.

When did your spring semester start? I know the undergrad I went to starts the spring semester two weeks into January and then are done by the second Saturday in May when they have graduation. If your school have a January or winterim term instead of a Mayterm that could explain why you have longer to go than others.

NC State is I semester system and we start our Spring semester the second week of January.

Hang in there!

When did your spring semester start? I know the undergrad I went to starts the spring semester two weeks into January and then are done by the second Saturday in May when they have graduation. If your school have a January or winterim term instead of a Mayterm that could explain why you have longer to go than others.
I'm on quarter system, just feeling jealous that semester schools get out earlier haha. (I know, I probably get extra break time at the end of summer...) My winter quarter started in January, and then spring quarter started in April. I'm not sure why Oregon schools seem to use the quarter system a lot.
NC State is I semester system and we start our Spring semester the second week of January.

Hang in there!
Thanks!
I'm just so impatient for summer to get here, because I've been doing prereqs year-round and can't wait to have a summer off from school.

I. AM. DONE! I move tomorrow to spend the summer with family and friends, so I'm trying to get everything sorted, but it's such a relief to be finished! I haven't had a non-school, non-working summer since 2006. It'll be so nice to do absolutely nothing for 4 months.

Reactions: 5 users
I. AM. DONE! I move tomorrow to spend the summer with family and friends, so I'm trying to get everything sorted, but it's such a relief to be finished! I haven't had a non-school, non-working summer since 2006. It'll be so nice to do absolutely nothing for 4 months.
I am contemplating quitting my job so that I can just do whatever I want all summer before school!!

Reactions: 2 users
I haven't had a non-school, non-working summer since 2006. It'll be so nice to do absolutely nothing for 4 months.
It gets old really fast. Especially when you're used to being busy.

Members don't see this ad :)

I am contemplating quitting my job so that I can just do whatever I want all summer before school!!

I just recently cut back my hours (full time to about 20 hours a week about a month ago) so that I can fill up my free time with spending time with my family and husband.. bike riding, hiking, laying around.... and I am definitely enjoying it! I feel like it has been a nice break after working so hard for the past 4 years preparing for vet school... and we are going to have it even harder for the next 4 years (or so).. so why not give yourself a break!

I'm right there with you. I'm also on a quarter system, so I still have 5 weeks left :cryi:

I'll also note that if you choose to print your own notes instead of purchasing printed notes, ie, you want to print some but not all of them or want to print them in a different format, I highly recommend getting a laser printer. Mine was about $100 (its monochrome), and i go through about one large toner cartridge a semester, which is $50. This next time I'm going to just try refilling my cartridge for $5... we'll see how it goes. And I have a giant Sam's club box of paper that will probably last me at least two years that was $50. So first semester probably cost about $165, but now it's going to be~$20 a semester... So, a lot cheaper than buying printed notes for me, even though I print probably half of my notes at some point in the studying process.
I have an ink printer I got from Walmart that scans, copies and prints with 5 ink cartridges. I pay about $7 for all 5 cartridges I need on amazon prime and its at my door in two days. That lasts me a while too!

Its a pixima mg5220! I would recommend it :)

Oh and its connected to WiFi so all the computers in the house that have the drivers for it can print to it without being plugged in directly to it :)

I'm right there with you. I'm also on a quarter system, so I still have 5 weeks left :cryi:
Good luck with the rest of your term! I hope it flies by!

I feel like the worst student this term... I thought senioritis had kicked in last term, but that was nothing compared to this term. I'm so excited for a fun summer without having to worry about vet school applications.:)

I'll also note that if you choose to print your own notes instead of purchasing printed notes, ie, you want to print some but not all of them or want to print them in a different format, I highly recommend getting a laser printer. Mine was about $100 (its monochrome), and i go through about one large toner cartridge a semester, which is $50. This next time I'm going to just try refilling my cartridge for $5... we'll see how it goes. And I have a giant Sam's club box of paper that will probably last me at least two years that was $50. So first semester probably cost about $165, but now it's going to be~$20 a semester... So, a lot cheaper than buying printed notes for me, even though I print probably half of my notes at some point in the studying process.

This is exactly what I'm planning on doing, except colour.

My current inkjet has really cheap ink, but it's half the speed of a laser. It'll stay around as a scanner though.

Writing and drawing on my tablet just didn't cut it, so going old school. :)

This is exactly what I'm planning on doing, except colour.

My current inkjet has really cheap ink, but it's half the speed of a laser. It'll stay around as a scanner though.

Writing and drawing on my tablet just didn't cut it, so going old school. :)
Yeah, I keep my old inkjet around for when I need color (although I always seem to be out of ink when I need it...) or scanner. I would have loved to have just gone for a color laser, but to stay in my price range, I had to choose either automatic duplexing or color... and after the many hours I spent in undergrad putting pages in the right order and putting them back in the printer to print on the other side, having to figure out which way they needed to go in, and screwing it up half the time, duplexing won out over color.

Notabillity app for ipad does this. You can download powerpoints PDFs and other documents to notability. Hit record before the lecture starts and everything will sync! It now syncs with both your typing and your handwriting. I find it really useful to help pinpoint the part of lecture I want to hear. Sometimes I just put a asterisk in my notes so I know to listen there. Not sure if non-ipad tablets will let you click on specific parts to playback but I know other ones will record.

Have you tried handwriting notes on this app? I bought one of those Bluetooth stylus' and no matter what app I use it recognizes my palm when I'm writing. I tried it on noteability, Bamboo paper, and penultimate.

Has anyone else tried handwriting notes on an iPad/tablet?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN Mobile

I don't have an ipad. I do have a Samsung Galaxy Note 2014 and it is amazing for taking notes. I can take notes on the included note app (it has an option to only recognize the pen - but you can turn it off), OneNote, powerpoints, pdfs, or you can even write on the screen and then save it as a picture. On the included software you can also turn your writing to text and you can even draw a graph and it will turn it into a nice looking figure. I love it.

I have used notability, but have not done much handwriting on it. I am an old school pen and paper type of girl ;) I have been looking into getting a better stylus to start using it that way.

My school has this weird thing called Spring Term where you only take one class for a full month, and since I have enough credits to graduate I'm taking it off and doing absolutely nothing but riding 4-5 days a week :). And getting hooked on GoT. I'm strongly considering deferring from Penn for a year to get in-state tuition and maybe get a better shot at the VMD/PhD. Finding lab jobs is harder than I thought it would be haha.

My school has this weird thing called Spring Term where you only take one class for a full month, and since I have enough credits to graduate I'm taking it off and doing absolutely nothing but riding 4-5 days a week :). And getting hooked on GoT. I'm strongly considering deferring from Penn for a year to get in-state tuition and maybe get a better shot at the VMD/PhD. Finding lab jobs is harder than I thought it would be haha.
Would they allow you to defer for that? Schools vary in their policies but I know it's not uncommon for deferment to be granted only in cases of emergency; something along the lines that since you applied and accepted an offer for that year, they expect you to attend for that year unless you absolutely can't for an important reason (medical issues, etc.)

Would they allow you to defer for that? Schools vary in their policies but I know it's not uncommon for deferment to be granted only in cases of emergency; something along the lines that since you applied and accepted an offer for that year, they expect you to attend for that year unless you absolutely can't for an important reason (medical issues, etc.)
I've already spoken to admissions and apparently Penn is pretty relaxed about their deferment policies. I told her up-front why I wanted to defer and she didn't have any qualms about it. Apparently there are several people every year that defer for this reason :).

I've already spoken to admissions and apparently Penn is pretty relaxed about their deferment policies. I told her up-front why I wanted to defer and she didn't have any qualms about it. Apparently there are several people every year that defer for this reason :).
Interesting. Well good luck finding a job. And I can't say with certainty for Penn's program, but keep in mind that you can probably get into a PhD program after you've already started vet school. Worked for me.

I have used notability, but have not done much handwriting on it. I am an old school pen and paper type of girl ;) I have been looking into getting a better stylus to start using it that way.

I got the Intuos Wacom bluetooth stylus and it doesn't work well at all...especially if you rest your palm on the iPad. I'm going to return it and try something else.

I don't have an ipad. I do have a Samsung Galaxy Note 2014 and it is amazing for taking notes. I can take notes on the included note app (it has an option to only recognize the pen - but you can turn it off), OneNote, powerpoints, pdfs, or you can even write on the screen and then save it as a picture. On the included software you can also turn your writing to text and you can even draw a graph and it will turn it into a nice looking figure. I love it.

That sounds great! I really don't want to have to get rid of my mini I just got last year :( I hate that technology changes so fast...can you handwrite at the same pace as you would on pen and paper?

Interesting. Well good luck finding a job. And I can't say with certainty for Penn's program, but keep in mind that you can probably get into a PhD program after you've already started vet school. Worked for me.
Thanks! I'm definitely looking into applying to the PhD portion for at least two years before I give up haha.

I got the Intuos Wacom bluetooth stylus and it doesn't work well at all...especially if you rest your palm on the iPad. I'm going to return it and try something else.

That sounds great! I really don't want to have to get rid of my mini I just got last year :( I hate that technology changes so fast...can you handwrite at the same pace as you would on pen and paper?

Yes, I haven't had to slow my writing down at all. It is very responsive and doesn't recognize your palm or anything touching the screen but your stylus when you are writing. It comes with a stylus that fits into the side of the tablet.

Have you tried handwriting notes on this app? I bought one of those Bluetooth stylus' and no matter what app I use it recognizes my palm when I'm writing. I tried it on noteability, Bamboo paper, and penultimate.

Has anyone else tried handwriting notes on an iPad/tablet?

I used Notability heavily this last year with little problem. They have a little bar at the bottom that will come across to help against recognizing your hand, but I usually just end up scrolling the page down a little so I'm not reaching up to the top to write, if that makes sense. I'd play around with it a bit more, maybe you just need to "learn" how to write on a tablet versus normal paper.

I used Notability heavily this last year with little problem. They have a little bar at the bottom that will come across to help against recognizing your hand, but I usually just end up scrolling the page down a little so I'm not reaching up to the top to write, if that makes sense. I'd play around with it a bit more, maybe you just need to "learn" how to write on a tablet versus normal paper.

Yes you're right, I will try some more...I'm impatient..can you tell? I posted this after fiddling around for 10 minutes with it.

Thanks for the recommendations!

It's really starting to sink in that I'm going to be graduating undergrad in two weeks. I really couldn't wait to get out of high school, but I'm actually going to miss this place!

It's really starting to sink in that I'm going to be graduating undergrad in two weeks. I really couldn't wait to get out of high school, but I'm actually going to miss this place!

Someone said something at my school about how they would be graduating next Saturday, and then it hit me that I would be done with undergrad in like a week. It still hasn't sunk in.

Someone said something at my school about how they would be graduating next Saturday, and then it hit me that I would be done with undergrad in like a week. It still hasn't sunk in.
Same here. In a little over 24 hours I will be completely finished with finals and leaving my undergrad for good... and it doesn't seem possible. Maybe when I settle down into my summer routine it will hit me, but it definitely hasn't yet.

Congrats class of 2014!

I feel like I'm the only one who graduated two years ago. I feel old lol.

Congrats class of 2014!

I feel like I'm the only one who graduated two years ago. I feel old lol.
Class of 2011 here, it's all good. We're just a little more seasoned lol

I have been looking since March for a place that offers the rabies vaccines that will bill to my insurance. My insurance covers all immunizations thankfully. Has anyone found a place that had the vaccines covered their insurance?

I have been looking since March for a place that offers the rabies vaccines that will bill to my insurance. My insurance covers all immunizations thankfully. Has anyone found a place that had the vaccines covered their insurance?
Probably more dependent on the insurance than the place. I called Aetna and told them it was required for vet school and got it 90% covered. Because I'm an employee at a university with a hospital my copays are covered so I got the rest for free :D

University jobs, man. The benefits. THE BENEFITS. I took Clinical Microbiology and statistics for a grand total of $360.

I graduated 4 years ago. Who's old now? ;P

5 years ago...class of 2009...I win on the old front! Wait...should I not be excited about that? :)

5 years ago...class of 2009...I win on the old front! Wait...should I not be excited about that? :)

2009 as well! But... if I hadn't dropped out of school for a year than I would have been 2008 :D

If you haven't checked on their coverage of the rabies vaccine specifically, I would do so. People have had issues in the past with insurance not wanting to cover it, even though it is technically an immunization. (Sorry I can't help, I had my done at a travel clinic and paid out of pocket.)

If you haven't checked on their coverage of the rabies vaccine specifically, I would do so. People have had issues in the past with insurance not wanting to cover it, even though it is technically an immunization. (Sorry I can't help, I had my done at a travel clinic and paid out of pocket.)
My insurance covers the vaccine I just can't find a doctor office that will order and administer the vaccines

My insurance covers the vaccine I just can't find a doctor office that will order and administer the vaccines
When I got it through my work (I worked for the State) I went to the Health department. You may want to call your school and see if they are doing any clinics. I know NCSU does one for their students every year.

Haha...ok I lose, you guys are old

And I would have graduated in 2008 if I didn't change my major from business to biology